Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Nintendo issued take down notices to GitHub for ROMs…

Thank EU for the sudden legal change…

Last edited:

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
To claim a significant OS change is FUD shows a clear lack of understanding and forcing the EU change for their needs rather than the needs of the users who were happy to live in a walled garden and knowingly bought products with those limits.
To claim it is a significant change (with regards to security) with regards to new code introducing exploitable loopholes is FUD.

Again:
  • Allowing third-party app stores
  • Allowing third-party apps downloaded ("sideloaded") from a website to install and run
...required no change of program code to iOS whatsoever.

It's been all possible for many years.
There was no "forced" code change to allow these things.

Did Apple change code? Yes - though they did not have to.
They changed code to restrict third-party app stores. And elicit FUD in end users.

Changing a secure method that has been used for 16 code iterations and changing the core philosophy to allow external stores comes with risks.
There is no such change of "core philosophy" (with regards to security and particularly the code of iOS).
Allowing third-party apps to be sold by third-party - while still reviewing any of them does not change core philosophy.

Core philosophy is allowing third-party apps or not. Maybe even allowing third-party apps without review/notarisation vs. notarisation. Given that Apple has allowed third-party apps and will still review and notaries any apps (including alternative app store apps), there is no such change. Apple has allowed third-party apps containing third-party code to run natively since more than 15 years. They've also allowed third-party apps be trusted and running that were never reviewed by Apple for more than 10 years. It's only a change in regards to the commercial party you're dealing with. Not a change that's security-relevant in what code is allowed to run on devices.

Your earlier claim above about new (potentially exploitable) code needing to be introduced...
iOS with major changes to accommodate the EU alt app stores. This change is code that sits on everyone’s phone regardless of region or activation. It makes one extra loophole that could be exploited by bad agent code.

All those who say “don’t run it” don’t get the change is everywhere.
...is just wrong and disingenuous. And so is your claim about "core philosophy". The core security paradigm hasn't changed.

I'm not going to deny that allowing and using third-party app stores poses some (new) risks.

Could an alternative app store provider „go rogue“ and approve apps that they know aren’t allowed by Apple? Yes, conceivably. Is that a new or additional risk? Sure. But that‘s just increased probability - not a fundamental change.

👉 If you don't like it, don't use it. And using a Mac certainly indicates that the risk is manageable.

Last edited:

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
People who say “don’t use it (alt app stores)” don’t get the universal code exists to allow use of alt app stores.

That’s the weak point.
Not whether you use it or not.
The door to use it is in every installed version of iOS 17.4+ even in countries where the EU rule doesn’t apply.

That’s it. Full stop.

goro123

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2020
To claim it is a significant change (with regards to security) with regards to new code introducing exploitable loopholes is FUD.

Again:
  • Allowing third-party app stores
  • Allowing third-party apps downloaded ("sideloaded") from a website to install and run
...required no change of program code to iOS whatsoever.
You don't open private/internal code and API to the world and hope it can't be compromised and mis-used. They certainly re-created a whole new public API.

And even if there wasn't any new code, more open APIs will increase cyber security issues.

Reactions: wbeasley

goro123

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2020
👉 If you don't like it, don't use it. And using a Mac certainly indicates that the risk is manageable.
If you don't mind having to install a store every time an app is not on the App Store, well good times ahead for you.

Many choose to have an iPhone because of its simplicity. I did. And being forced to download an entire new store for an app is ruining that. I am afraid it will happen. Either my bank's app, my kid's school app or some app I must have will end up on a store I never wanted to install.

And I would even argue that the iPhone is successful BECAUSE of that simplicity, not IN SPITE of it.

Comparing to Mac and PCs ? There's a reason why most work IT dpt. won't allow installing apps on their users machines. There is reason why so many services are ran through a web browser instead of a native an app. A part of that is because it's too complex and risky to install apps.

It's not all black and white of course. Certainly some good will come from these new App Stores. But some of us will miss the simplicity of the iPhone.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Surely, Nintendo could make all the games available for low prices and sell the games themselves.
Of course they could… but I think they like to keep ROMs in house and sell hardware too.

It’s probably a missed opportunity to make money if they don’t.

People will always find a way to share ROMs.

Doing it officially would bring in bucks.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Of course they could… but I think they like to keep ROMs in house and sell hardware too.

It’s probably a missed opportunity to make money if they don’t.

People will always find a way to share ROMs.

Doing it officially would bring in bucks.
If games aren't available on the newest system, why shouldn't they sell what could be popular? I know that it's difficult to secure software and keep it functional, but I would hope that people would have enough respect that they could make some money and make people happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.