Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I'll get $3000.00 for each of mine. Going to have the entire family order as many as they allow to several different addresses. Even if we only get a dozen or so on launch day, it'll still be worth it.

Heck, based on the level of desperation people have for launch day Apple products, I might be able to get $4000.00!

It's like printing money! Think of it this way: If Apple wanted to stop scalpers, how hard would it be to do it? Not very. They don't.

=P
[doublepost=1506381933][/doublepost]Oh, I forgot the best part:

IF the phone doesn't bring the expected profit margin/demand, we can simply return them. No fuss, no muss.

It's amazing more people don't do it TBH

Reactions: DJosche

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
My guess is at a minimum $500 over retail. From there it'll depend on sales and availability.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
I expect Apple to be able to meet demand, and I expect scalpers to get burned big time. My dream is that millions of scalpers will buy these like idiots, while the Apple store sells them all day and night for retail. Scalpers get stuck with them, go bankrupt, and never buy Apple products again (to the joy of Apple and Apple users).

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Prices for the 8+ in Jet Black already went up to +$400 on top of MSRP + tax. So I am guessing we will see prices sell up to $2000 for the 64GB

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I expect Apple to be able to meet demand, and I expect scalpers to get burned big time. My dream is that millions of scalpers will buy these like idiots, while the Apple store sells them all day and night for retail. Scalpers get stuck with them, go bankrupt, and never buy Apple products again (to the joy of Apple and Apple users).
I hope so, although I expect that the only people who will pay the prices for the X to begin with are the people with enough money to throw away to buy one from a scalper anyway, so if production is really constrained scalpers may do well because if you are actually considering buying a X you don't care about the price of a phone.

LiemTa

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
Time would be the only cost.

No stock, wait. Want it ASAP but don't wanna buy from a scalper? Pre order.

Except this isn’t a real solution because preordering doesn’t mean you’ll get it in a timely fashion. Anyone else have terrible advice under guise of feigning superiority?

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Actually you're right :) I am doing that. Didn't know if there was room for flipping after the fact.
[doublepost=1506095260][/doublepost]
I'm being realistic. I know I won't get $3000, and I wouldn't charge that either. That's dumb.
You won’t get one anywhere near Launch day to scalp anyway.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Following launch day my guess will be +50%. However if they are in such short supply as it may be, and considering the launch is November already I think the peak will just prior to Christmas in the last delivery window. +300% will become possible.

I’ll be trying to get two silver and one spacegrey 256GB models. If the prices don’t materialise I’ll give the other two away to my wife and daughter. But if the prices climb I’ll be selling mine as well and wait until later.

Yup I’ll keep mine nicely sealed as well. I’ll make do with my black 7+.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
I'm trying to figure out what the cost of me not pre-ordering will really be.
[doublepost=1506094809][/doublepost]
Seriously?! People would pay that?

People are stupid.
[doublepost=1506400605][/doublepost]
Ahhhh....scalpers. There’s a special place in hell for them.

Hope all your phones get destroyed.

It's the one time I wished an Apple phone went up in flames like the Note did.

Reactions: nasa25

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Except this isn’t a real solution because preordering doesn’t mean you’ll get it in a timely fashion. Anyone else have terrible advice under guise of feigning superiority?

Agreed. Pre-ordering doesn't guarantee you when you will receive the device, it just simply means your order is in and you have an order guaranteed to be delivered at some point. Preordering gives someone a general timeline of when they should expect for the item to ship, unless that item is widely available and in stock, where they can guarantee a specific day.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

they can just return them..

DJosche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2017
Ahhhh....scalpers. There’s a special place in hell for them.

Hope all your phones get destroyed.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I never said I was charging $3k a phone, that is cruel. I will mark it up, but that insane.
[doublepost=1506433050][/doublepost]
they can just return them..
14 day returns on un-opened boxes :)
[doublepost=1506433107][/doublepost]
I'll get $3000.00 for each of mine. Going to have the entire family order as many as they allow to several different addresses. Even if we only get a dozen or so on launch day, it'll still be worth it.

Heck, based on the level of desperation people have for launch day Apple products, I might be able to get $4000.00!

It's like printing money! Think of it this way: If Apple wanted to stop scalpers, how hard would it be to do it? Not very. They don't.

=P
[doublepost=1506381933][/doublepost]Oh, I forgot the best part:

IF the phone doesn't bring the expected profit margin/demand, we can simply return them. No fuss, no muss.

It's amazing more people don't do it TBH
A lot of people can't because they don't have the liquidity for it.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
here's an idea: how about just buying one for your own personal use and let everyone else that wants one be able to get one directly from apple at retail prices.

Then with the time saved not scalping you can secure yourself a proper job or even engage in a hobby.

This is exactly my idea. I'll buy the phone for myself. But as I've stated before, I'll play with the demos at launch to see how I feel about the phone. If I like it, at least I have one for myself.

If I don't, and the market is looking lucrative, well...I'm not just going to return it. Not after all the trouble getting one, staying up to preorder or standing in line. ;)

You are helping a scalper?? I think it is 5am EST.....

Well I prefer to look at it this way...I'm helping a forum member :)

Reactions: DJosche

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I never said I was charging $3k a phone, that is cruel. I will mark it up, but that insane.
[doublepost=1506433050][/doublepost]
14 day returns on un-opened boxes :)
[doublepost=1506433107][/doublepost]
A lot of people can't because they don't have the liquidity for it.

Agreed. Pretty sad people that don't have the liquidity to buy a few phones (for instant resale) are buying a $1000+ phone to begin with, but that's just the world we live in.

The rich get richer. And while I don't consider myself to be rich, dang if it isn't nice to be able to buy as many of these as I can get. It's actually zero risk too, as returns are suuuuuper easy. I ended up making a killing on Apple watches, but with those stupid delivery windows it made it hard to get maximum "launch day" fervor. Hopefully I can score a handful of X's on the 3rd, as it is looking more and more like $3000 will be conservative.

No way to lose, just have to have enough money to afford to do it =).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.