Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
Yes, I did have titanium watches before but this Ultra looks really pretty. Probably best industrial design I have ever seen. And the bands are also stunning, both Orange Alpine and Yellow Snorkel edition.
Funny, I personally don’t like the appearance of any of the bands, but I do believe the design team understood the assignment and made the best of it. I chose the green Alpine loop because it was available for pickup today, but I don’t plan to open it any time soon, as I’m enjoying my tiny collection of over-priced Apple bands.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
Can you show these side by side again with a lighter watch face or without a black background?
Looks bigger to me

Attachments

• 207CD3F7-0A96-4BEC-B853-8FF19D4EC099.jpeg
    207CD3F7-0A96-4BEC-B853-8FF19D4EC099.jpeg
    799 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: decypher44

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
Thank you Apple. Finally we have a normal-no-kid-sized-toy Apple Watch. It is stunningly beautiful. Pictures don’t do it justice. It is screaming premium product. Just a first amazing and fresh product after so many years from Apple.
I agree with you - Apple watch has been too small for too long

Reactions: decypher44

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
3940DF5C-4CB5-4BD1-A9E6-794DB29754E1.jpeg

From Apple’s comparison page, yes they are very close in size, but the Ultra does have a few more pixels.

Reactions: Sean006

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
I like mine coming from the 7. But don't get fooled into thinking the display is larger its INSIGNIFICANT. It's not like the 3 to the 4. You are gaining the Flat Display, much more noticeable Bezels but an Awesomely BRIGHT Display.

Reactions: Sean006

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
It does when you have large wrists like me. Regular AW looked really small, like really small. Not insulting anyone just can't look at my 45mm anymore. If you do not have large wrists like me then regular 45mm looks great.
Ah….finally a fellow “large wrist“ sufferer😊. I’ve been waiting for these pics. Most Ultra pic’s I’ve seen (other threads) are on small wrists and the Ultra looks like a tablet strapped to a wrist in some of them. Not here. It looks like a “right sized” watch on your wrist. Can I ask you how big your wrist is? What size solo or braided loop would you wear. My wrist measures is 8 3/16 inches and ”technically” Apples guide says even the size 12 loops won’t fit. Size 12 in the solo loop doesn’t fit.…too tight. But…the braided solo loops have some “give” and stretch over time…so they do work. I think this watch and my wrist would be a great match!!

Last edited:

perezr10

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Yes, screen itself is only 2% larger but that case screams PREMIUM. Pictures do not show it well, it really looks nice.
Let’s not get carried way. I don’t think it looks premium at all. It looks more like an aluminum version. The Edition titaniums looked premium with their brushed finish. THOSE were gorgeous. These Ultras just look…utilitarian. Any stainless steel Apple Watch looks better in my book.

To be fair, it’s not meant to look premium. That is not its job.

Coreymac84

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
Let’s not get carried way. I don’t think it looks premium at all. It looks more like an aluminum version. The Edition titaniums looked premium with their brushed finish. THOSE were gorgeous. These Ultras just look…utilitarian. Any stainless steel Apple Watch looks better in my book.

I concur. My Series 7 Ti can be matched up with any outfit. If you can't wear it with a dress shirt, it isn't "premium" to me from a wearable accessory standpoint. It's so versatile and "classy" from a tech watch standpoint. Atleast from the Apple Watch line. Oogling over the Tag Heuer a little bit.

Reactions: xDKP

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013

I totally agree.

Hey, OP, glad you love it!

Ive had every Apple Watch since the start, upgrading yearly.

This year, Having got a Black Stainless Steel series 7 last year..... of course the series 8 is almost a joke of an update this year unless you ovulate which, like half the population, I don't :)

So, instead we have the Ultra.

Utilitarian is a perfect description, and hey thats great!... if you are a diver, mountaineer, etc etc - this is what the watch is for. All the new features and functionally is squarely aimed at that Market - theres literally no need or use for any of its unique functions in a day to day device.

Also, as a daily wear, go to work with a shirt or suit on watch? No - subjectively speaking... just no. If it was supposed to be used in such situations then of course it should/would have come in other finishes than aluminium.

Its far too chunky and clunky - and people with small wrists and ladies in particular it just looks silly.

Thats just my opinion.

And of course thats why the series 8 continues to be offered in a stainless steel finish - that to me is still the best compromise of size, durable finish, and flexibility.

scmill

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2018
Spartanburg SC
I need to wander into Verizon or Best Buy and take a look at the demos to see if there's a chance it doesn't just dwarf my wrist. I'm not climbing mountains or diving, but I really want the additional battery life and larger screen.

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
I like mine coming from the 7. But don't get fooled into thinking the display is larger its INSIGNIFICANT. It's not like the 3 to the 4. You are gaining the Flat Display, much more noticeable Bezels but an Awesomely BRIGHT Display.

It sure is. Full sunlight this afternoon, at 7300 feet elevation, set to 2/3rds brightness.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 17.41.35.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 17.41.35.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 102

Bogey99

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2018
Hey OP, if you wanna argue that the Ultra is a monster workout watch, I’m right there with you. That’s why I bought one. But…a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is my Ultra and my Series 7 stainless steel side by side.

View attachment 2077877

All I can think of when I see that side-by-side is this…

View attachment 2077878
How many people are really going to notice the difference between those two watches in a casual interaction? Both are quickly identified as an Apple Watch, but they’re not really that different in overall look. Frankly, I don’t notice or care what watches people wear.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
It’s noticeable side by side
7 on the left screen is smaller
No, that’s a terrible way to show the difference in the screen sizes. By having a black background it makes you think that the bezels are included in the screen size, which they’re certainly not.

Best way to show the difference would be with a light colored watch face.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
No that's because the bezel is bigger, the usable part is only 2% bigger, which you won't see.
The usable part is a little under 6% larger than a 45mm S7/S8, but it seems that the softer rounded corners of the Ultra’s screen actually cause it to display less information in some situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.