Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I so agree with this observation. Which is probably why I am a "I kind of like this watch" type of person. I use fitness apps, but I love data to chart my progress. Apple watch is behind Garmin in this area. I like having maps if I go on runs. Apple does this in their activity app, but Strava, MapMyRun, NikeRunClub do this better. Not to mention that if you want more detailed information you need to go into an app on your phone.

In a perfect world, Apple would rebuild their activity app and follow Garmin's lead and have one place that people could view their sleep data, calorie burn, workout stats, step counts, HR data, etc. Apple is about simplicity, the watch and the collection of data is not because you really need to know how to navigate apps to get the data you need. But maybe, this is what the Apple Watch is for?

I agree with this with a couple of additional points. HealthFit app can sync the default workout data to the majority of services, so you can utilise Strava etc. But I'd disagree that NRC does things better, because they constantly remove features from previous watches. NRC on the S0 used to be able to plot a map using the phones GPS. They disabled this feature later and stated it was impossible to implement because the S0 has no GPS. Nike are REALLY bad for removing previous features.

Reactions: redavis41

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
It's not for you then and there's nothing wrong with that. Return it. They'll look at you and say "Ok, let's get that started." They won't ask you any questions. You'll have $400+ back. Easy. Do it today.

I'm eager to get one, but I really need longer battery life so I'm on the sidelines until they can extend it to at least 2 days so I can do sleep tracking. I wear a Fitbit now. It was really cool at first, then it was just a novelty. It grew to be a necessity for me that has no novelty or wow factor. It just helps me do mundane things better.
I sleep track every night.
I place the watch on the charger when I get home after work. Have dinner and take shower and relax and I put the watch back on the wrist before going to bed.
Charging from 17% to 100% actually takes less than 90minutes.

EX1127

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2009
Louisiana
I agree with this with a couple of additional points. HealthFit app can sync the default workout data to the majority of services, so you can utilise Strava etc. But I'd disagree that NRC does things better, because they constantly remove features from previous watches. NRC on the S0 used to be able to plot a map using the phones GPS. They disabled this feature later and stated it was impossible to implement because the S0 has no GPS. Nike are REALLY bad for removing previous features.
Nike has always been a hot mess when it comes to activity tracking. I always liked their social aspect but between their website and their apps... its a cringefest. I've honestly always wanted Garmin to buy out fitbit, that kinda tech and insight merged with social features it would be amazing.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Charging from 17% to 100% actually takes less than 90minutes.

Thanks! Good to know for future decisions. I have a bit of a unique situation though. Due to a sleep disorder, I'm unable to follow consistent sleep-wake patterns so having to follow a charging schedule is going to mean I'll be losing some tracking I need to stay organized and healthy. 2 days of battery life will give me the wiggle room I need to view an Apple Watch as a suitable replacement for my Fitbit.

A couple of weeks ago, MR posted about a product that's a clip on activity tracker extension that can be paired with an AW. That might actually be a viable option for my situation since that can be worn while the AW is charging. I just prefer not to be juggling all sorts of devices if I can help it and the Fitbit is a pretty good product for my needs, but it's ugly as can be. I don't usually notice when people are wearing Apple Watches in photos. They blend in. When people have Fitbits, it screams, "HEY LOOK I'M WEARING A FITBIT, YO?"

upritbass

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Vegas!
My husband bought me a S3 last year because I always keep my phone on silent so I would miss his texts and calls.
Yep, my wife finally answers her phone when I call.

My second absolute favorite function is Find iPhone. Calendar, timer (gotta get that French Press coffee *just right* each morning), weather are also very useful.

Reactions: artfossil

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
:cool: I’ve had many iPhones and iPads over the years…some I loved…some I only liked…but never disliked. So I decided to try an Apple Watch…the Series 4 – 44mm GPS + Cellular. I’ve had it over a week now and I can honestly say I’m not too impressed by it at all :( . Like I’ve come to expect from Apple, it was packaged well, in perfect condition, and overpriced. I guess I will not return it but It feels more like a boring “novelty item” than a high-tech wonder device. I keep trying to convince myself I will “come around”. Maybe I don’t have good apps…maybe it will grow on me…maybe me seeing a trillion dollar company asking for donations ruined the experience for me…maybe… :mad:

:apple:
What are they asking for donations for?

redavis41

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
Nike has always been a hot mess when it comes to activity tracking. I always liked their social aspect but between their website and their apps... its a cringefest. I've honestly always wanted Garmin to buy out fitbit, that kinda tech and insight merged with social features it would be amazing.

That’s an interesting thought. Fitbit is great in how they use their software and their app is fantastic. Blows Apple’s way. Garmin is lacking the social and app experience. I could see this happening with another few years of Fitbit duds. But then again Fitbit offers a low priced product which appeals to many.

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
That’s an interesting thought. Fitbit is great in how they use their software and their app is fantastic. Blows Apple’s way. Garmin is lacking the social and app experience. I could see this happening with another few years of Fitbit duds. But then again Fitbit offers a low priced product which appeals to many.

I had intended on getting a Fitbit at one time but the failure rate of them discouraged me. I don’t know if they are any better now but at the time I thought the additional $ was better spent on an AW.
Yeah, AWs cost more, but a dead Fitbit is money you won’t get back. I have friends that are on multiple warranty replacements. Like, when do you throw in the towel? S

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Honestly, most of the people who have and like their Apple Watch are into it mostly for the fitness stuff..

Well, not the case for me at least. For me, it's the notifications, calendar reminders, nav interface, podcast controls and Siri for messaging that rock my boat. And as a frequent flyer, having it auto-adjust to whatever time-zone I land in is hugely helpful. I'm still wearing my Series 0 and sorely tempted to upgrade, but mine is the SS and still looks new and works perfectly. I'll wear it til it dies and will immediately purchase another. For me, it's an essential.

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yeah, AWs cost more, but a dead Fitbit is money you won’t get back. I have friends that are on multiple warranty replacements. Like, when do you throw in the towel? S

My wife and I have had four Fitbits between us over the past 2 1/2 years. My wife's Fitbit Charge's band frayed and cracked open after 11 months and needed a warranty replacement. The Charge doesn't have easily changeable bands.

Her Charge started cracking open again after about a year, but I was able to get a replacement band off eBay for about $10. The replacement band is actually a replacement housing for the sensor and you have to transfer the sensor out of the old body into the new one.

I have a Fitbit Blaze. The only reason I'm on my second one is because I lost the first one. I've had some problems with the Fitbits I've purchased, but not with the electronics.

I'm not sure how the current crop of Fitbits stand up, but as far as the batch of products they released around 2 years ago or so, I do agree that you're better off with an Apple Watch.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I think that makes sense. I'm not into fitness stuff, but wanted the AWS4 to get into fitness. Well yesterday I did an outdoor walking "Workout" that lasted approx 1.5 hours. So after I get home I checked the stats on the Activity app and it said I only did 6 mins of exercise.

Doesn’t sound like you started the exercise on your watch. You should research the exercise functions first before making assumptions.

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Doesn’t sound like you started the exercise on your watch. You should research the exercise functions first before making assumptions.

I concur. I started a couple of Outdoor Walks and both were bang on at the end. I knew the distance and the time is used to take me (to work) beforehand and both were right on. I made a round trip with a start on either end, same route, same pace. I’ve done the route a hundred times if I’ve done it once. S

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland

To be fair, the exercise rings DO react to brisk walks without starting the exercise on your watch. However the latest updates broke this function for many people. What he was trying to do would've worked on previous Watch OS. You can force start the exercise using the workout app, but it is meant to be smart enough to recognise exercise (even if it doesn't track the route and stats) without doing that.

EX1127

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2009
Louisiana
IF Garmin did buy out fitbit they could probably keep some of the lower end but tidy up the inventory. At that point Garmin with a nice inventory might be able to cause some havoc in the wearable market.
Honestly I would think/hope that a merger between Fitbit and Garmin would be enough to get Apple... Maybe apple would buy out starva... that would be awesome... one could hope...

redavis41

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
IF Garmin did buy out fitbit they could probably keep some of the lower end but tidy up the inventory. At that point Garmin with a nice inventory might be able to cause some havoc in the wearable market.
Honestly I would think/hope that a merger between Fitbit and Garmin would be enough to get Apple... Maybe apple would buy out starva... that would be awesome... one could hope...

Interesting that this was our discussion yesterday and news hits that Spotify is now available on Garmin (Fenix 5 Plus line currently). Streaming market is going to make the smartwatch game interesting.

EX1127

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2009
Louisiana
Interesting that this was our discussion yesterday and news hits that Spotify is now available on Garmin (Fenix 5 Plus line currently). Streaming market is going to make the smartwatch game interesting.
It is for sure. I used to use the 235 and it's a solid watch. My biggest complaint when I used garmin was that iOS was poorly baked in. You could get a notification of calls or everything... I would of been happy with calls and text but it wasn't present at the time. They have so many wearbles now...

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Is this post for real? Is it a troll post? I have used the watch for probably 1000 workouts over the years and that has never once happened to me.

What he said is true.

Your heart rate needs to exceed a certain amount before it counts your workout as exercise minutes.

My wife isn't in as good a shape as me, so when she goes for a 30 minute walk with me, her heart beats faster, and she gets around 30 minutes of exercise. I only get like 5.

When I go on a treadmill or elliptical, I get the full 30 for a 30 minute workout, as I'm sweating and my heart beat is much higher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.