Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Still very content in the walled garden. Added another Mac to the lineup - a base M1 iMac for the business to be used on the reception desk.

73315763646__FD3E4F35-F3CD-48FE-B6AA-E42225F3094C.jpeg

With my camera I made the decision at some point there is not going back to the time before I had a camera. I love the results too much. I have switched from the X100V as I wanted something more flexible. Got an X-T5 with the new 23mm 1.4 LM WR.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Still very content in the walled garden. Added another Mac to the lineup - a base M1 iMac for the business to be used on the reception desk.

This is great, it gives me hope that maybe just maybe one day I could get out of flip-flop land

With my camera I made the decision at some point there is not going back to the time before I had a camera. I love the results too much. I have switched from the X100V as I wanted something more flexible. Got an X-T5 with the new 23mm 1.4 LM WR.

As a guy who wants to "get it right in camera", I just LOVE the fuji film emulations. I sold my X100V for an XT5 for the flexibility. Some great lenses too!

Reactions: Cape Dave

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Personal device sorted. Bagged a 2020 M1 13 MBA in the sales. Bought through the business so can claim the VAT back so net cost £600.

IMG-0860.jpg

Since getting a Studio Display I've had the MBA hooked up in clamshell mode a lot. The base specs were starting to show strain with it powering the 5K monitor and editing photos in Lightroom CC. So, as I don't really need a laptop I sold it and bought an M2 Mac Mini with 16gb RAM.

I now switch between the work laptop and personal mini by moving the TB cable. It's not too much fuss, I guess a TB switch could make things a little less manual.

I also sold my 15 Pro and have gone back to a Starlight iPhone 13 mini. Trying to be more intentional with my phone usage so this will help.

DSCF3978.jpg

DSCF3972.jpg

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
???
What prevents you to use Windows on a "retina" screen?
By the way "retina" is an Apple buzz for high DPI screens that are now provided elsewhere too.

You've got to remember that I originally posted that in 2019, when there were no real viable Windows options for a 27" 5K monitor. Today we of course have the Samsung 5K.

I'm aware that retina is just Apples marketing term. For years I ran a Windows desktop on a 4K 27" which although it's HiDPI it isn't what Apple would class a retina. At 27" you need a 5K resolution to have a perfect 1 pixel to 4 mapping 1440p equivalent.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Yeah,
I would recommend something like Thunderbolt 4 KVM Switch

I have a no-name (non-TB) KVM switch that I got off Amazon and it better then switching cables

I'm ok with switching cables really, as I use my work machine during work hours and then I may use my personal Mac after work. I rarely need to go between the 2 during the day.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I flip-flop too:
On macOs I use Karabiner to map my heavily used shortcuts to function keys
On Windows I map the same with Power Toys.
I whish I could get diacritics on macOS the same powerful way than with PowerToys (type a letter, then left-right keys to get all variations).
Else, I use in my workflow only apps that are available on both OSes, excepted the file manager, halas...

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
With Windows, you don't need an exact 1 pixel to 4 mapping to get a crisp picture. I use 150% and get a gorgeous crisp screen real estate.

150% on Windows is good, I agree. But there is still extra levels of crispness to be unlocked at 200% on a 27” 5K monitor.

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
???
What prevents you to use Windows on a "retina" screen?
By the way "retina" is an Apple buzz for high DPI screens that are now provided elsewhere too.
Nothing. I use a 27" 4k screen with both windows and Mac with a KVM switch. I use it at 150% in windows and 1440p in Mac. Looks great!

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Blame Apple. When someone tell me that he "needs" iMessage, I answer: get an open compatible Messager.
iMessage is a no-go. Period.

I really wish we could get away from iMessage lock in

I'm "trapped" in some combo imessage + sms threads with large friend groups I can't remove myself from them

I really wish I was using some third party App that could give me much more control over what I saw, was notified about and when.

I wish iMessage at least had more control there. I can "hide alerts" but that doesn't hide badges for that thread!!!

jakey rolling

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2022
I'm aware that retina is just Apples marketing term. For years I ran a Windows desktop on a 4K 27" which although it's HiDPI it isn't what Apple would class a retina. At 27" you need a 5K resolution to have a perfect 1 pixel to 4 mapping 1440p equivalent.
If you're aware that "retina" is just an Apple marketing term then you should also be aware that having a 1-to-1 ratio is only a requirement when working in macOS. Everyone outside of Apple has learned how to deal with fractional scaling. Your "need" for a 5k monitor is simply because of Apple's usual mediocre software engineering, not because of anything inherent to the PC world.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
If you're aware that "retina" is just an Apple marketing term then you should also be aware that having a 1-to-1 ratio is only a requirement when working in macOS. Everyone outside of Apple has learned how to deal with fractional scaling. Your "need" for a 5k monitor is simply because of Apple's usual mediocre software engineering, not because of anything inherent to the PC world.

100%

Windows is SO much better at this now -- so much more flexible

It's maddening that Apple won't work on this, as the "retina" blessed options are so limited and even then, the Point sizes they've chosen as "correct" often make things on screen too small for many of us -- especially as we age

jakey rolling

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2022
It's maddening that Apple won't work on this, as the "retina" blessed options are so limited and even then, the Point sizes they've chosen as "correct" often make things on screen too small for many of us -- especially as we age
It's kind of similar to why Apple used Xeon processors in the Mac Pro. It doesn't matter that the only people who would benefit from a workstation-class machine with ECC memory are CAD technicians and other engineers who need dead-on precision (generally, people who rarely buy Macs), Apple insisted on gimping the performance of their workstations because they knew they could demand a larger mark-up than they would have because of some so-called "pro" feature that didn't actually do anything for the vast majority of their users.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK

I'm not sure what point you're making?

I simply said you need 5K 27" to have a perfect 1-to-1 1440p, which is true. That doesn't mean 4K 27" 1440p doesn't look good, that's what I used prior and it was nice a clear too.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
I'm not sure what point you're making?

I simply said you need 5K 27" to have a perfect 1-to-1 1440p, which is true. That doesn't mean 4K 27" 1440p doesn't look good, that's what I used prior and it was nice a clear too.

What he’s getting at is the software side

If Apple put some software effort in, all chosen resolutions at all screen sizes (within reason) could look “perfect”. If they truly cared about “accessibility” they would..

My scaled resolutions in Windows all look “perfect” … Apples way of handling high resolution screens hasn’t really evolved much in 13 years now

Reactions: jakey rolling
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.