Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
When are we getting to see some windows devices with ARM? Seems like I have been waiting impatiently for too long now.
Dont dream.
Windows for ARM exists.
But another OS for the fully publicly undocumented Apple Silicon will not happen that soon.
Asahi Linux is struggling since 3 years and a lot does still not work.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I was referring to Windows devices with the new Qualcomm CPUs, nothing to dream about just waiting to see it in action.
I'm not that sure that ARM processors are that better. It's not all about the processor !
I think Apple got rid of all bridge chips that make hardware standard and compatible.
So they have a very efficient and slim architecture that is only supported by their very own software.
It's the way all tablets and smartphones work: you need a specific compilation for every device.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I'm not that sure that ARM processors are that better. It's not all about the processor !
I think Apple got rid of all bridge chips that make hardware standard and compatible.
So they have a very efficient and slim architecture that is only supported by their very own software.
It's the way all tablets and smartphones work: you need a specific compilation for every device.
I am not sure you understand the previous poster comment fully??

It is about the processor and Microsoft is working on a tool like Rossetta in Apple so non arm software will work and since the processor from Qualcomm the SD elite is so powerful even with emulation it shouldn't be that bad. All native apps and OS will run much more efficiently. We are looking at a doubling at a minimum of battery life compared to Intel's latest Ultra series on 7nm.

The reason why people are excited about arm on Windows is that if Qualcomm is successful then the performance and battery life will rival Macs and if you add a dedicated GPU the power of the system might even best M3 MBP or at least get very close. And since this is the first of the Orion cores Qualcomm is using future Elite chips should be even better.

Actually, if arm gets a boost of market share on Windows because the CPU's are finally good enough to be a viable alternative to x64 Intel and AMD then it could be a game changer. Being able to game on Windows and get 10 hours gaming full blast with dedicated GPU and 20 hours normal use would be rather enticing for a lot of people.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It is about the processor and Microsoft is working on a tool like Rossetta
What is both frustrating and baffling is that Microsoft has been working on an ARM based windows for well over 10 yet the experience has been very poor. Then out of nowhere Apple released an ARM based laptop that out performed MS on every metric

Hell Windows running virtualized on a Mac was faster then MS Surface
Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than Surface Pro X

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
We are looking at a doubling at a minimum of battery life compared to Intel's latest Ultra series on 7nm.
OK lets wait and see. I would really wonder, if an ARM architecture with traditional nortbridge/southbridge, PCI, and DDR memory slots could beat Apple's sleek architecture without these interfaces.

Reactions: MacFoxG4

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Okay, with the latest round of rumors, even this jaded tech dude is getting slightly excited for the upcoming Snapdragon announcements....especially the SP10...

Reactions: LeeW

jakey rolling

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2022
OK lets wait and see. I would really wonder, if an ARM architecture with traditional nortbridge/southbridge, PCI, and DDR memory slots could beat Apple's sleek architecture without these interfaces.
I would venture a guess that it would not use traditional DDR memory slots, but rather something like the new CAMM modules.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
What is both frustrating and baffling is that Microsoft has been working on an ARM based windows for well over 10 yet the experience has been very poor. Then out of nowhere Apple released an ARM based laptop that out performed MS on every metric
That is because Apple can afford to build a PC like a smartphone, removing every hardware abstraction bridge.
That sleek architecture requires however requires a specific OS exactly compiled to match the given hardware.
An approach that only Apple can follow. Microsoft –being a multi-vendor OS supplier– has no way to match that.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
That is because Apple can afford to build a PC like a smartphone, removing every hardware abstraction bridge.
That sleek architecture requires however requires a specific OS exactly compiled to match the given hardware.
An approach that only Apple can follow. Microsoft –being a multi-vendor OS supplier– has no way to match that.
Well, that was the point of the Surface line, but it hasn't always borne fruit. That's mostly due to MS not having staying power with an idea...We'll see with the new Snapdragon Surfaces though.

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
I also find myself flip flopping between macOS and Windows. I grew up on Windows, but always wanted a Mac. After assembling a collection of vintage Macs, I got my first modern one, an M2 Mini. I was so happy to have it at the time, but the Wi-Fi issues annoyed the heck out of me and the realization that I had given up upgradeable RAM and storage just to stay with Apple wasn't sitting well with me, so I sold the Mini and went back to my 2012 MBP. Problem with that MBP is that patched macOS is a gamble, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Using Windows or Linux on a MBP feels unnatural due to the one button mouse and the command key (I've lost count of how many times I hit the command key on accident when using Windows/Ubuntu on that MBP). I had heard how good the T480 line of ThinkPads were, so I found one for cheap online and while it is not as fast as the M2, it is faster than the 2012 MBP and the keyboard lives up to the hype. I have the T480s model, so I only have one upgradeable RAM slot instead of two, but one slot is better than none, imo.

I'm not crazy about the Windows 11 UI, but I like that in Windows I have much better software compatibility than I do on macOS and Linux. Apple Music for Windows is garbage though (and the last iTunes for Windows is pbretty bad too), so I plan on using my 2012 MBP to manage my music library and sync my iPod Touch. I can't decide whether I should try patched Sonoma again, for future proofing, or if I should run Mojave/High Sierra again on the 2012 (so I can use the much better UI of iTunes). So yeah, I'm kind of in this weird space where I'm using Windows again for daily driver stuff, but using macOS for specific tasks/fun.

Reactions: LiE_

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Welcome to the flip flop club @MacFoxG4

I've flipped on my Fujifilm X100V and got an X100VI. The short time I spent with the X-T5 made me appreciate the new sensor/ processor and IBIS. Had to bit a little more than MSRP (£140) but there's zero stock and huge delays to get one.

Reactions: Cape Dave

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
The new Snapdragon X stuff is being announced. From the little I've read it seems like a pretty compelling option for flip-flopping between the two worlds if the actual benchmarks of the Qualcomm chips are decent. I would consider trading in my XPS for a 13.8" Surface Laptop in that sweet blue color.

Reactions: Cape Dave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.