Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Here is the official thread for our third Fortnightly Challenge. Because we had a tie in the official voting thread I have made an executive decision to allow all three topics to be used in any single, double, or triple combination. The topic(s) are Motion, Analog/Analogue & Alone, interpret that any way you like.

Rules

In the last thread we decided to edit the rules, I hope these rules are in line with the communities wishes. If not, please post a revised version we can all agree on and I'll edit those into this thread.

The rules are open for debate at any time although a consensus will be sought before making changes. The preference is to create a broad but flexible framework to work within.

Submission rules:
1. Members must produce the artwork they submit.
2. The photo(s) submitted are encouraged be created during the challenge period, however older images may still be submitted.

Comments/critique/discussion:
1. You are highly encouraged to give comments and critique images in the current thread if you submit images, it is only fair to do so if you expect C&C in return.
2. Even if you do not post images in this thread feel free to give feedback or ask questions.
3. Comments, critiques and discussion must be constructive, objective and aimed at improving the quality of the artwork.

The topic(s) for this two week challenge is(are): Motion, Analog/Analogue & Alone. Any individual or combination of those three topics is acceptable.

The challenge will run from right now until 11:59PM CDT Aug 26.

Challenge topics:
1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.
2. The challenge topic will be voted on by all members (although only those intending to submit pictures should vote).

After all that, Lets have Fun!!!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Well lets getting things moving (pun intended)

3817312913_e98ffe4e1f_b.jpg

3818125106_1d94d31106_b.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Shooting flowers is new for me. Here is a lone ant on a lone flower.

Chappers -- I like the motion in both images, especially the first one. Other than the motion, however, the top image isn't working for me. It is too green and everything looks muddy to me. I like the composition and the second plane being obscured by the smoke. I just can't get past the color. The bottom image is really good. The colors more accurate colors make the planes stand out. In terms of the themes, I get both the motion and alone -- the performers are, in some ways, all alone. Did you do any PP on the second image or were you shooting in a different direction?

Attachments

• alone-1500.jpg
    alone-1500.jpg
    753.5 KB · Views: 67

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Shooting flowers is new for me. Here is a lone ant on a lone flower.

Chappers -- I like the motion in both images, especially the first one. Other than the motion, however, the top image isn't working for me. It is too green and everything looks muddy to me. I like the composition and the second plane being obscured by the smoke. I just can't get past the color. The bottom image is really good. The colors more accurate colors make the planes stand out. In terms of the themes, I get both the motion and alone -- the performers are, in some ways, all alone. Did you do any PP on the second image or were you shooting in a different direction?

I think I would crop our picture so there is only flower and bug - or shoot it from a different angle to give more depth.

I always try and keep PP down to a minimum - and I adjusted the temp on both of them - they were shot in different directions on a weirdly lit day. The photo didn't appear that awful yellow green last night - but it was/is horrible. New version attached :D

Attachments

• DSCF0067.JPG
    DSCF0067.JPG
    516.7 KB · Views: 62

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Challenge photos

A couple for C & C. (both clickable)

Attachments

• _7000679-mod.jpg
    _7000679-mod.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0094-mod.JPG
    DSC_0094-mod.JPG
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 68

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
CK Williams - interesting plane - but it doesn't look real.
I'd crop the cart picture a bit - its noisy but I guess the lighting was tough.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Challenge photos

Thanks for the comments Chappers. I agree on both. The plane looks odd on here. Here is the original and next photo in the sequence, SOTC, only converted from RAW to JPG and compressed. Hopefully they will look a little better. :) (once again, both clickable)

Also, nice photo of the flower & the second version of the loop is much better.

Attachments

• _7000680.jpg
    _7000680.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 80
  • _7000679 (1).jpg
    _7000679 (1).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 72

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
It still looks animated - this is not a bad thing - I actually really like it. But they do look kind of surreal.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I cropped it down. I do not like the shadow and I tried to adjust the lighting a bit but it was starting to look artificial. What do you think.

Chappers -- I like the new version of the stunt planes more. The composition looks even better than before. I still like the colors in the other one better. Your son's flower is missing something. The petals look green. If they were a brighter shade or white I think it would jump out better.

tompon1923 -- Your photo is okay. It is a good example, however, of how words can change the viewer's relationship to the image. Your caption makes me look deeper and imagine what movement created that motion.

Attachments

• alone-2-1500.jpg
    alone-2-1500.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 71

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I cropped it down. I do not like the shadow and I tried to adjust the lighting a bit but it was starting to look artificial. What do you think.

Chappers -- I like the new version of the stunt planes more. The composition looks even better than before. I still like the colors in the other one better. Your son's flower is missing something. The petals look green. If they were a brighter shade or white I think it would jump out better.

I would probably go with an angle on this shot - to give depth - I think the crop has improved it but a different angle would also maybe give things new meaning especially if the bugs shadow were cast on a single petal.

My green flower problem is as is I'm afraid. That area in the garden is surrounded and covered in green - I got two shots of the flower and was just changing angles when it was snatched away and taken to give to grandma. :)
See photos of canopy and grandpa alone with his paper in same area

Attachments

• _G1S5489.jpg
    _G1S5489.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 62
  • _G1S5494.jpg
    _G1S5494.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 90

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks for the comments Chappers. I agree on both. The plane looks odd on here. Here is the original and next photo in the sequence, SOTC, only converted from RAW to JPG and compressed. Hopefully they will look a little better. :) (once again, both clickable)

Also, nice photo of the flower & the second version of the loop is much better.

Can I use one of these as a wallpaper?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Clix Pix - love the idea - I'd probably crop it to only include one foot and the sprayer and its shadow - but the movement of paint is a nice idea and different. Nice one

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Thanks, Chappers! I thought about cropping it more, eliminating the one foot, but it didn't seem quite as balanced then, looked odd....
You're right - I tried to crop it and it suddenly seemed odd. I still like the shot - it has a story and makes me curious about the person doing the job.
I like stories in photos.

On the hair prob with TH3D4RKKN1GH7's pic - I see the problem but like the way it seems to blend into the white cable (iPod) - its all very wistful for me.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks for the info on submissions, and thanks for the C&C. I should have scoped that hair out when I took it. Now that I see it, it is a little distracting. I have another picture of him I want to add to this contest. He's my friend's cousin and he's an actor. He's done some commercials.

BUT C'MON PEOPLE MORE PICTURESS!!!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Golden dart frogs are the most poisonous frogs anywhere.

The top and middle frogs are poised in mirror images (analog). What appears to be mist adds, I think (hope), to the rain forest feel of this.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7 -- I agree about the hair. I am equally disturbed by the ear bud wire. Otehr than that, it is an outstanding image that evokes a wide range of emotions. Well done.

Clix Pix -- I really like this just as it is. My eye keeps getting drawn to the interplay between the spray and the paint on the curb. The two feet give the sense of motion I don't think that would be there with only one foot.

Attachments

• Frogs 8x10.JPG
    Frogs 8x10.JPG
    857.5 KB · Views: 67

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Motion without movement:

3751445405_82e41dc889_b.jpg

There's so much to love about this photo: the pastel color palette, the twinkling street lights, the wonderful sense of motion...if only you hadn't framed it so that only a sliver of that lovely blue sky is showing. The blue really sets off the the other colors and adds depth to the frame, but there's far too little of it. The composition therefore seems haphazard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.