Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Chappers -- my oldest is a percussionist and his instrument is drum kit (jazz, of course). I showed him the cymbal picture you entered in the "musical instrument" POTW. He said he would like to hang it on the wall of his new apartment. Is it okay if I download and print a copy for him? Thank you.

If anyone else wants to see it, the address is https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/687876/

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Thanks for the compliments Max but GODDAMN YOUR IMAGE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER! Good work man.

You made my day (thanks!) I wouldnt say "better..." just different as we have managed to capture completely different things.

Well done...I look forward to seeing more of your work.

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
Reading by touching, learning by losing.

flickr.com/mikshayne

Attachments

• DSC_3916.jpg
    DSC_3916.jpg
    673.3 KB · Views: 71

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
To Maxx: I checked out your website even more great stuff. That's where I want to be one day. Your images are really striking and convey strong emotions. How long have you been doing it? I just started doing still work, I'm really a screenwriter/director but I like taking pictures- mainly of people.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/romanmphotography

If you want there's some of the shots I've taken. If I were the one in charge of a winner... you'd have my vote. Not to take anything from the rest of you guys, but DAMN!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Chappers -- my oldest is a percussionist and his instrument is drum kit (jazz, of course). I showed him the cymbal picture you entered in the "musical instrument" POTW. He said he would like to hang it on the wall of his new apartment. Is it okay if I download and print a copy for him? Thank you.

If anyone else wants to see it, the address is https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/687876/

I'd be flattered - do you want the original? I'd happily send it to you but your PM and email function is not turned on.

Chasb

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2007
Sorry the "water droplets" was left to interpretation or I was just too tired when I posted it last night. Let's try this one.

Attachments

• 3819853842_47e727d505_o.jpg
    3819853842_47e727d505_o.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 87

macgeof

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Sheffield:UK
Himalaya Solitude

Alone : Bird shot on a rock by the Beas River at the head of the Kulu Valley

Attachments

• himalaya_bird.png
    himalaya_bird.png
    1 MB · Views: 75

macgeof

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Pilgrim

Alone + Motion : Tibetan resident in Mcleod Ganj, India on the pilgrim's walk around HHDL temple

I've seen others multiple post, but apologies if this is a no-no - I'm new to this and like to read the C&C aimed at others and would like some at me too :)

Attachments

• tibetan_pilgrim_walk.jpg
    tibetan_pilgrim_walk.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 258

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Chappers -- Aaron asked me to say "thank you". I've turned on the PM (never needed it before).

All -- I've been too busy to spend a lot of time looking at the forum this week. There are a lot of excellent photographs. I think this is sizing up to be a very worthwhile forum. John -- thank you for getting it started.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Alone + Motion : Tibetan resident in Mcleod Ganj, India on the pilgrim's walk around HHDL temple

I've seen others multiple post, but apologies if this is a no-no - I'm new to this and like to read the C&C aimed at others and would like some at me too :)

attachment.php

It's an interesting subject, and the composition is pretty good, but this was shot in really bad light. The subject is in the shade, and the flat light elsewhere suggests this was just not a good time of day--or the right kind of weather--for a good photo. Since a photograph is essentially a recording of light, try to find good light first; then look for a subject (or find a subject and then return to it when the light is good). As for the composition, the subject is too close to the bottom of the frame, but I think it works otherwise.

Picture of the Atacama desert I took a week ago. More on my Flickr.....

3836976968_8407e955da_b.jpg

Really lovely photo. The exif has been stripped out of it, so I don't know what aperture you used. If you could have gotten a bit more depth of field to make the foreground sharp, it would have been even better, but I know all too well that sometimes it's simply not possible when you're up against the wall of diffraction.

[Edit: I checked out your flickr page and saw that you shot it at f/4. Not sure why you went for such a wide aperture. Perhaps you weren't using a tripod?]

macgeof

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
It's an interesting subject, and the composition is pretty good, but this was shot in really bad light. The subject is in the shade, and the flat light elsewhere suggests this was just not a good time of day--or the right kind of weather--for a good photo. Since a photograph is essentially a recording of light, try to find good light first; then look for a subject (or find a subject and then return to it when the light is good). As for the composition, the subject is too close to the bottom of the frame, but I think it works otherwise.

Comments gratefully received, thanks for taking the time :) As for the light, wish I could head back for a reshoot but it's a bit far right now

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Chappers -- Aaron asked me to say "thank you". I've turned on the PM (never needed it before).

All -- I've been too busy to spend a lot of time looking at the forum this week. There are a lot of excellent photographs. I think this is sizing up to be a very worthwhile forum. John -- thank you for getting it started.

I've PM'd you deep diver

John - hopefully it looks like this thread is going places. :)

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Really lovely photo. The exif has been stripped out of it, so I don't know what aperture you used. If you could have gotten a bit more depth of field to make the foreground sharp, it would have been even better, but I know all too well that sometimes it's simply not possible when you're up against the wall of diffraction.

[Edit: I checked out your flickr page and saw that you shot it at f/4. Not sure why you went for such a wide aperture. Perhaps you weren't using a tripod?]

Thank you... Your correct I took the pic at f/4. Unfortunately I didn't have my tripod with me so I had to use a wider aperture as anything smaller would have been slightly underexposed.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Picture of the Atacama desert I took a week ago. More on my Flickr.....

Hope you don't mind me asking but how does this beautiful picture (and it is beautiful) tie in with the themes of the thread?

Maybe its just an analogue thing and everything could be analogue. Cool pic though.

marsvolta

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2006
Alone: I found this egg, already hatched, in some grass down by the beach.

Attachments

• Ny2OR.jpg
    Ny2OR.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 86

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Was the egg empty? I find the grass distracting especially on the bottom right hand corner. To be honest the photo is a little bland.

Sorry

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008
There's so much to love about this photo: the pastel color palette, the twinkling street lights, the wonderful sense of motion...if only you hadn't framed it so that only a sliver of that lovely blue sky is showing. The blue really sets off the the other colors and adds depth to the frame, but there's far too little of it. The composition therefore seems haphazard.

Thanks for the tip!! I really appreciate it because this was my second try at long exposures. I will take it with me for next time ;). (excuse me for my late reaction). I'm currently trying something like this at the local airfield, the same idea but with planes and approaches, too bad there is very little fixed-wing traffic (usually bell and lynx SAR helo's). Anyway, I don't want to get off-topic.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This is a section of Rhodochrosite (meaning rose-colored). Rhodochrosite is a manganese carbonate mineral. This specimen is stitched together with its mirror image (analog). Other than the stitching and cropping there is no PP. This is the natural color of the mineral.

Attachments

• Cathedral 8x10.JPG
    Cathedral 8x10.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 60
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.