Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah this is my last submission. I don't really have much "alone" stuff. My camera sucks I need a DSLR. These two submissions were taken with my friend's D90.
3725177071_785bec0df5_b.jpg

Thanks for all the critique and compliments guys. I hope to do better next time. Good luck in the challenge.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Here are some thoughts about some photographs that captured my attention.

Chappers - I really think the idea behind your flower on the stump photograph is great, but the flower is just slightly off from the center and it just feels wrong I guess. If it was cropped slightly of center I think it might look better. BTW, I do like the stunt plane images.

deep diver - Your cropped image is much better than the original, but I think it would look even better if cropped with the center of the flower on the lower left spot of the number five on a die (if you understand what I am saying). I don't think the lighting looks fake on the second image.

tompon1923 - I love your image. My only thought is it might look better if it had a little more sky above. My eyes want to look and see what on the horizon but nothing is there.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7 - As others have said the white cord and the hair are distracting, otherwise it is a great photograph. I love the thoughtful expression. Your second photo is good but it could be better IMHO. My eye wonders all over the frame because his hair is so dark and there is alot of darkness in the background that I have a hard time finding a division line.

John

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
JohnMC - love the sunflower (van Gogh fan) and still have memories of growing them as a child. My only thought is the crop of the left petal - I would have preferred not to cut it. Still like it though.

Attachments

• Library - 1166.jpg
    Library - 1166.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 63

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Here's one for Motion... I've got my own little niggles with it but I'd like to hear what others have to say!

I like the shot except its crowded/busy with so much splash. Is it because there was another swimmer at the same time making spray?

Any more shots?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Clix Pix -- I really like this just as it is. My eye keeps getting drawn to the interplay between the spray and the paint on the curb. The two feet give the sense of motion I don't think that would be there with only one foot.

Thanks, Deep Diver! When I was initially working on the image I experimented with cropping and I felt that it didn't look right with just one foot -- as you said, the two feet give a sense of motion and also, IMHO, balance the entire composition better. I did a bit of judicious darkening of the human subject to give a bit more prominence to the freshly-being-painted yellow curb and the jet sprayer.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah good lord there's so much water! I WANT TO JUMP IN! I think I might take some more shots with my craptastic HF10 and see if I can get one more entry to try and WIN!... though I probably won't.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
What catches my eye about that sunflower shot is the wonderful color contrasts between yellow sunflower and blue sky..... I also like the interesting angle of the flower as well. It is too bad that the one petal at the left got nicked out of the photo.

Some really interesting entries here! I didn't realize right away that one could indeed comment on them, as I know in the weekly one you're not supposed to do so. This is good to know, as commentary can often be very helpful....

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Yeah good lord there's so much water! I WANT TO JUMP IN! I think I might take some more shots with my craptastic HF10 and see if I can get one more entry to try and WIN!... though I probably won't.

Jump in here with your water shot https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/762770/

Some really interesting entries here! I didn't realize right away that one could indeed comment on them, as I know in the weekly one you're not supposed to do so. This is good to know, as commentary can often be very helpful....

C&C actively encouraged here - although I think the rules could still be less wordy so that this is clear.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
...I didn't realize right away that one could indeed comment on them, as I know in the weekly one you're not supposed to do so. This is good to know, as commentary can often be very helpful....

The entire point of this thread is to encourage people to critique each others photos. We learn both by giving and receiving such thoughts and opinions. This thread is not geared like a contest as there is no winner at the end. When this topic finishes we will move on to the next one.

Everyone, thanks for the input on the sunflower. I'll recrop it this afternoon and repost it.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I like the shot except its crowded/busy with so much splash. Is it because there was another swimmer at the same time making spray?

Any more shots?
Understandable, thanks for the comment. Amazingly, it's all from one guy. I myself was amazed by what 1/4000 can capture.

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
Hey guys, thought I'd submit one, but I'm super busy the next couple of weeks, so I don't know if I'll get a chance to do any recreational photography. This is a few months old, and is one in a set of senior pictures I did. I think the facial expression caries the "alone" theme for me.

IMG_0390.jpg

EDIT: Also, the exposure is intentional. Just incase anyone was wondering.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I have never post a picture before, so here is my first

Firstly welcome and I love the picture - it's beautiful. The colours, the worn jeans, slightly windswept hair and the bag that's not quite with her. Good work.

I would crop off a bit of the left/top and bottom.

Of course feel free to C&C other pics

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I cropped it like this - but I don't want to become the king of cropped photos on this thread. :)

Still love the photo.

Attachments

• ALH.jpg
    ALH.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 53

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I have never post a picture before, so here is my first

attachment.php

I like this shot quit a lot. The black strap on the bottom of the bag reminds me of a :). It contrasts with the somber look on her face nicely. The cropping that Chappers mentioned is something to look for before the shot. Try to avoid placing the subject in the center.

Dale

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks for the compliments Max but GODDAMN YOUR IMAGE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER! Good work man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.