Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Fortnightly Challenge - Dec 4 thru Dec 17

Challenge topic: Favorite Photographs

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM Dec 17

Rules:
1. Photos should be your own work.
2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.

Lets have fun!!!

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
This was the first week or so of having my camera. I was going to Oklahoma City and was running right into this electrical storm. This was the first picture I took in the storm.

Clickable!

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I'm rarely around children at this age, I don't have any younger siblings and my older sisters aren't old enough to have a child, so when I went to my cousin's wedding this fall it was a perfect opportunity to take some photos. She was the flower girl at the wedding. Cutest thing!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I'm rarely around children at this age, I don't have any younger siblings and my older sisters aren't old enough to have a child, so when I went to my cousin's wedding this fall it was a perfect opportunity to take some photos. She was the flower girl at the wedding. Cutest thing!

What a great picture. When I first saw this I thought it was an older print that you had scanned. The colors look a little faded. In this image that is a strength that emphasizes the timelessness of childhood simplicity and innocence. Very well done.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This speaks for itself.

Attachments

• A - Hawaii.jpg
    A - Hawaii.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This was the first week or so of having my camera. I was going to Oklahoma City and was running right into this electrical storm. This was the first picture I took in the storm.

I've wanted to do something to refine all of the other images you have posted. Not this one. Initially I thought there is too much dark space on the left. The more I look at it, however, the more I see the vastness of the storm.

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
Quick question: I am thinking about posting a few of my favorite photos, but how do I take a fav photo during the challenge time? Or does that guideline not really apply to this theme then?

Thanks!

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I've wanted to do something to refine all of the other images you have posted. Not this one. Initially I thought there is too much dark space on the left. The more I look at it, however, the more I see the vastness of the storm.

Thanks, this was really just a luck shot, all the more reason to like it. I took probably another 30+ pictures that night and didn't get anything else notable.

The color is usually off on a lot of my stuff because I take a lot of pictures while driving and the glass in my truck is slightly polarized to cut down on the glare. I generally cant stop and properly shoot something either because of time or there the is no safe parking spots for a 70' truck. Though I did just quit my job today so that might change depending on what I do next. The pictures I take when I can stop and get out of the truck are usually much nicer.

This spring I'll probably upgrade to a DSLR. I didn't want to buy one as my first camera not knowing how much I'd like the hobby.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Quick question: I am thinking about posting a few of my favorite photos, but how do I take a fav photo during the challenge time? Or does that guideline not really apply to this theme then?

Thanks!

We put that in as a guideline to increase the challenge. We all post new stuff and what we already have. Looking forward to seeing your shots.

The color is usually off on a lot of my stuff because I take a lot of pictures while driving and the glass in my truck is slightly polarized to cut down on the glare. I generally cant stop and properly shoot something either because of time or there the is no safe parking spots for a 70' truck. Though I did just quit my job today so that might change depending on what I do next. The pictures I take when I can stop and get out of the truck are usually much nicer.

I was almost killed by a negligent "professional driver" in an 18-wheeler. It is actually pretty amazing that I am still alive. I think I'd rather you weren't taking pictures while driving.

Ok, by sheer happenstance, I took a series of pictures of an owl I was able to sneak up on. He sat on a limb after snagging something from the ground very nearby, and sat and stared as I got as close as I could. All I had was my iPhone, so I had to get within 3 feet of those awesome talons to get this:

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 93

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
Fireworks

My first attempt at capturing fireworks with my Canon Rebel XTi.

It was harder than I thought to capture, but I think this 1 in particular turned out. Probably took over a 100 photos in the span of 10 minutes! :)

Thanks for looking.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN

Thanks!

The goal of the challenge is to encourage us all to get out and shoot. The idea behind this challenge topic is right before the holidays, we often run out of time to get out and shoot. Feel free to post photos taken out side of the time block, I'll be doing the same.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

Thanks!

The topic for the next two weeks is sort of a breather from current shooting, if I understand correctly. Lots of folks are busy getting ready for the holidays and shooting photos for a current topic may be too much.

That said, post your favorite photos and tell us the back story that makes them special to you.

OOps...John beat me to it by one minute.

Dale

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Ok, by sheer happenstance, I took a series of pictures of an owl I was able to sneak up on. He sat on a limb after snagging something from the ground very nearby, and sat and stared as I got as close as I could. All I had was my iPhone, so I had to get within 3 feet of those awesome talons to get this:

That is a good shot for an iPhone. I know the resolution is not the best when it comes to the iPhone (or any phone) but I would suggest cropping out the bottom left of the image to put the owl a little off center. However, nice job on getting that close.

John

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
That is a good shot for an iPhone. I know the resolution is not the best when it comes to the iPhone (or any phone) but I would suggest cropping out the bottom left of the image to put the owl a little off center. However, nice job on getting that close.

John

I like the vertical crop. It already pulls the owl toward the bottom of the frame. I would take a little off the right and let the tree limb on the left bring the eye down to the owl.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
And just so I don't post to many of my son - here is a Hawkmoth - often called a Hummingbird moth. It took several days of waiting by some flowers for this to come each afternoon. Manual focal only. and it gave me several great photos. I like this one.

4161644821_9ed55182e8_b.jpg

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
And just so I don't post to many of my son - here is a Hawkmoth - often called a Hummingbird moth. It took several days of waiting by some flowers for this to come each afternoon. Manual focal only. and it gave me several great photos. I like this one.

It was worth the wait! I really the rich green background and how smooth it is - it really helps emphasize the subject.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Opal in an iron stone matrix. This is the very first mineral image I did (about three and a half years ago).

Attachments

• Opal-1 8x10.JPG
    Opal-1 8x10.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 84

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Slightly out of focus - my son "Bora" which means "The wind that brings rain" at 3 hours old.

He is cute and very photogenic.

I admire your patience. I don't know that I could wait that long with that kind of focus. I am much more of a "flash and dash" photographer -- I shoot what catches my eye and then figure it out later. Except for my saxophone image, I don't think I have ever produced a good image that I either had to set up or wait a long time for the subject. Ansel Adams I'm not.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Opal in an iron stone matrix. This is the very first mineral image I did (about three and a half years ago).

Still love this picture - seems like yesterday that you put it in the contest.

I might use this on the desktop too if that's OK with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.