Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I admire your patience.

I really am not patient - I love the challenge of capturing something difficult, I'm more of a persistent stubborn b*st*rd. Take the photo below of a Steppe Eagle (I think) - I've been waiting eleven years for a photo of an eagle in the wild. They are tough - firstly they are not keen on humans who suddenly appear and take a black piece of metal and point it in their direction - they quickly fly away. Secondly they are very rare - although I saw 3 on the day I took this. Thirdly there is always a long distance between you and the eagle. So out on the road this was my second chance in one day after waiting 11 years. Not a great quality shot but I was happy

4164174932_7c961fc688_b.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Still love this picture - seems like yesterday that you put it in the contest.

I might use this on the desktop too if that's OK with you.

You can use anything you'd like. Just let me know which ones.

This image took second in POTW theme "blue" that you judged. Maxxamillian posted a truly stunning and dramatic picture of an orchid (I think). Definitely worth a look: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/669980/

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
And just so I don't post to many of my son - here is a Hawkmoth - often called a Hummingbird moth. It took several days of waiting by some flowers for this to come each afternoon. Manual focal only. and it gave me several great photos. I like this one.

4161644821_9ed55182e8_b.jpg
Good Bokeh, what lens is that?

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
Very interesting and captivating shot. He looks exhausted!

Thanks! I had a 100-400 lens at 400, from about 5 yards away. I'd finagled a sideline pass. Yeah, it was hot and they'd just spent about an hour doing this over and over:

_MG_6259-3.jpg

keebler said:
you should try and forward this to him as it's a fantastic photograph. great job.

I sent it to him via his Facebook page, but he might be one of those guys who never checks, I don't know. But yeah, I'd love for him to have a copy or a print.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
On my trek through Puyallup last week I found this relic from my past, or at least a representative of it. When I left college in '78, I packed all I had into a VW Beetle in slightly worse shape than this one and hit the road. That Bug had 300.000 miles on it and took me from Ohio to Arizona and then up to the Seattle area. I met my ex to be and found my first teaching job with a car like this. It was absolutely on it's last legs when I sold it for $100. I had to operate the wipers by hand in a place where it rains all the time. Excuse the bad PS work on the license plate. I didn't want to crop it off.

Oh, I bought my version of this in Columbus for $300. The brakes went south when I got about 5 blocks from the lot. It was like stepping on a plum and I had about 75 miles to cover.

45221851.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/50s f/5.6 ISO100 42mm

Dale

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
You can use anything you'd like. Just let me know which ones.

This image took second in POTW theme "blue" that you judged. Maxxamillian posted a truly stunning and dramatic picture of an orchid (I think). Definitely worth a look: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/669980/
I remember it well - I really struggled to decide between you or Maxx - I shall remember that choice for a long time.

Good Bokeh, what lens is that?
Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Macro - cheap and cheerful but I like it.
On my trek through Puyallup last week I found this relic from my past, or at least a representative of it. When I left college in '78, I packed all I had into a VW Beetle in slightly worse shape than this one and hit the road. That Bug had 300.000 miles on it and took me from Ohio to Arizona and then up to the Seattle area. I met my ex to be and found my first teaching job with a car like this. It was absolutely on it's last legs when I sold it for $100. I had to operate the wipers by hand in a place where it rains all the time. Excuse the bad PS work on the license plate. I didn't want to crop it off.

Oh, I bought my version of this in Columbus for $300. The brakes went south when I got about 5 blocks from the lot. It was like stepping on a plum and I had about 75 miles to cover.

Dale
You bought back memories - but we still have ours, as my wife won't let her go without a fight. We once paid a huge amount having he rebuilt because of my wife. We have now got a new car that we love but the Beetle remains, a bit battered since she was first repaired and renovated but still going and never giving up.

4165283289_9eb809473f.jpg

4166041714_440e6d823c.jpg

We woke up to snow today. I had never noticed this park bench next door until this morning.
I'm waiting for snow

4165612006_92b316cf35.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I'm waiting for snow

4165612006_92b316cf35.jpg

When I lived in Boston in the '70s I had a green Beetle a lot like this one. I lived on a narrow street where people parked on both sides overnight. We had a huge snowstorm and a snowplow went down the middle of the street to open one lane of traffic. The roof and hood of my car were buried like yours and the street side and both bumpers were walled in. I nearly tore the front fender off getting out for work. I'm from the Midwest, but the Atlantic winter storms were wicked beyond belief.

Dale

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
When I lived in Boston in the '70s I had a green Beetle a lot like this one. I lived on a narrow street where people parked on both sides overnight. We had a huge snowstorm and a snowplow went down the middle of the street to open one lane of traffic. The roof and hood of my car were buried like yours and the street side and both bumpers were walled in. I nearly tore the front fender off getting out for work. I'm from the Midwest, but the Atlantic winter storms were wicked beyond belief.

Dale

I know where you coming from there. I'm hoping the 4 wheel drive on the Suzuki will help this winter.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
The Susquehanna Nuclear Generating Station, Berwick, PA, at sunset. Because all that electricity has to come from somewhere.

20081019-IMG_4617-2.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
On top of the Zugspitze (clickable)
I'd love to see more

The Susquehanna Nuclear Generating Station, Berwick, PA, at sunset. Because all that electricity has to come from somewhere.
Great shot - I wonder where people with electric cars think their electricity comes from

:eek:Dang...logged onto the wrong thread again. I'm getting old.:eek:
One of my personal physicians says that you're not old until you're 70. So you're OK for a little time yet.

That makes me feel a lot younger :)

PS. Nice very old mountain by the way.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I live surrounded by mountains but haven't that many shots of them - hell I even live on one.

Here is a lonely little mountain I found in the countryside - it seemed happy enough so I left it to do its own thing

4168683273_9e75dec553_b.jpg

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I live surrounded by mountains but haven't that many shots of them - hell I even live on one.

Here is a lonely little mountain I found in the countryside - it seemed happy enough so I left it to do its own thing...
And I hope it stays just as lovely/peaceful and undeveloped.

Disney on Ice: Worlds of Fantasy @ Everett Events Center, WA
Canon A590is

4097386308_ea748ab43b.jpg

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
And I hope it stays just as lovely/peaceful and undeveloped.

Disney on Ice: Worlds of Fantasy @ Everett Events Center, WA
Canon A590is

4097386308_ea748ab43b.jpg

Wow. Nice shot. I've tried to shoot ice shows with a P&S, I know how hard it is to stop motion like that, any motion at all, yet keep the low noise. Very nice.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Nice mountains Dale and Chappers. As requested Chappers :)

Attachments

• DSC_2283.jpg
    DSC_2283.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_2308.jpg
    DSC_2308.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_2342.jpg
    DSC_2342.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 61

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
You bought back memories....

I never had a bug. My first car was a Honey Bee (Datsun 210). Also classic and tough as nails. My only Bug memory is when a friend and I bounced one out of the driveway of our girlfriends' house. It was pretty easy to move the thing but I don't know if we left the owner any suspension. I'll bet he was surprised when he found it half way out into the street.

Up river from Three Mile Island -- Pennsylvania's contribution to nuclear history.

And thinking of the weekly contest - this was one of my entries.
I remember this one. It is the first shot I saw of your son. I love his energy and sense of joy. As I recall, this is also the day you got injured.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This is my middle child. He is almost 14 now. The camera loves this kid. I've never seen a bad picture of him.

Attachments

• Ariel-2.jpg
    Ariel-2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 58
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.