Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Fortnightly Challenge - Feb 5 thru Feb 18

Challenge topic(s): Picture Postcard

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM Feb 18

Be sure to visit and post your images in our Flickr group.

Rules:
1. Photos should be your own work.
2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.

Lets have fun!!!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Its one of those wide picture postcards

4332156329_18e9788878_b.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Salmon River, Oregon

Cascade Head on the Oregon coast in the distance... this is a couple of years old, but it looks very postcard-y... ;)

DSC_2316-1.JPG

madazrex

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
feed back to photos

hello you lot i was jsut want to ask if that when i put up the photos in the contest.

we can have a ranking 1,2,3 cet and feed back to photograps listed.

and that iam seeing that pepole are not just going out and taking there photos in the time of the topic.

just uploading them from there stock

as a new keen photographer it just seems to be taking the fun out of it.

feed back is always important :D:D:D:D:D:D

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
hello you lot i was jsut want to ask if that when i put up the photos in the contest.

we can have a ranking 1,2,3 cet and feed back to photograps listed.

and that iam seeing that pepole are not just going out and taking there photos in the time of the topic.

just uploading them from there stock

as a new keen photographer it just seems to be taking the fun out of it.

feed back is always important :D:D:D:D:D:D

Hi Madazrex,

It is important to note that this thread is not a contest. MacRumors has a weekly contest for that purpose. In the challenge thread, we encourage people to take pictures within the time frame, but understand when people can not. We feel that people can learn from feed back on stock photographs just as well as photographs taken within the challenge time frame.

John

madazrex

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
Hi Madazrex,

It is important to note that this thread is not a contest. MacRumors has a weekly contest for that purpose. In the challenge thread, we encourage people to take pictures within the time frame, but understand when people can not. We feel that people can learn from feed back on stock photographs just as well as photographs taken within the challenge time frame.

John

thanks for that i was just trying to understand how this was all working.

madazrex

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
winter wonder land

this is my fist teliscopic pic i think its a nice post card scene and some more to add to this.

as this was the fist time we have had snow in my area of the uk in over 16 years.

pleas coment

Attachments

• DSC00174.jpg
    DSC00174.jpg
    954.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00207.jpg
    DSC00207.jpg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC00225.jpg
    DSC00225.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 89

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Its one of those wide picture postcards

4332156329_18e9788878_b.jpg

You know landscape photography doesn't do much for me. I am, however drawn back to this picture again and again while on this thread. Nicely done sir :D

A Picture Postcard from Washington State.

rainier4.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/250s f/10.0 ISO200 42mm

Dale

Nice--reminds me of home.

this is my fist teliscopic pic i think its a nice post card scene and some more to add to this.

as this was the fist time we have had snow in my area of the uk in over 16 years.

pleas coment

I like the idea behind the warmth / cool composition on the house. I wonder if you couldn't re-compose this picture to convey the message in stronger fashion. The church shot is nicely done--is there a picture within that picture that you could crop to and make it more interesting? The graveyard silhouette is a very nice touch. The third shot has some good color to it, however, there is nothing that holds my attention to the picture, making it uninteresting to me.

What makes this picture so interesting to me is the complementary colors (blue/orange) working to make the tree trunk stand out. The trunks, and the sky, lead my eyes to the upper right of the picture where there are a bunch of buildings. I would be tempted to clone them out in order to keep this strictly "nature" so to speak.

You have a great eye for color, evidenced by this picture, the river picture earlier in this thread, and some very memorable boat/docks pictures.

Awesomely creative! This would be such a keeper for the happy couple...

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
W.W. Seymour Botanical Conservatory. Wright Park, Tacoma Washington

picturepostcard.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/400s f/8.0 ISO200 30mm From when there was sun in the sky...

Opened in 1908, this is one of only three Victorian-style conservatories on the West Coast.

Dale

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

You had to go and get all creative on us... ;) Love this one. Are you perhaps one of the people? Just wondering.

Thanks for your comments on the driftwood and river. I sort of did the first one as a slightly tongue-in-cheek homage to the postcard format... and the second one as a bit of a 'tourist' type shot... like Paul Bunyan's toothpick type thing... I'm probably going to stick with some more landscapey type shots for most of my offerings this fortnight-- I know, perhaps clichéd just a bit, but those darn scenery postcards sell like hotcakes, especially of any type of local attraction (yeah, boring, but...)

On your photo of the girl and flag... priceless! Almost too rich for my senses. Like one of those unbelievably delicious deserts you never expect to experience, and now you just eat slowly... why do I want to squeeze her?? :D You captured a genuine expression that shows a ton more self awareness than most kids that age. It would be one postcard that never got tossed away, that's for sure.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
What an outstanding group of images!!!!! Props for all of them.

pleas coment

I think these all have great potential.

The face of the church is too washed out foe my test. I would have brought that down some.

The house needs better composition. There is too much brush in the foreground. A little at the bottom would have set the scene without over powering the shot. The brush and lake shore cut the photo through the middle in a way that brings further attention to the brush. It would be time consuming but I would take out the wires and utility poles.

The sunset is well done but I would take out the tower in the background and the truck lights. I think I would also clone in a few branches to hide the top of the trailer.

sunset in viva las vegas!

I'm really distracted by the plane. Otherwise, very nice shot and great colors.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum. Boston, MA

We spent 5 days in Boston and had only half a day with clear skies.

Attachments

• Kennedy Flag.jpg
    Kennedy Flag.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.