Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Damn - there goes another illusion

Illusion. Delusion. It's such a fine line. :D:D:D:D:D

Again, reaching into the archives (since the weather here's been wetter than I like...) this is from a b/w print, obviously full-frame. I like the old mechanical stuff... and it was belching steam a little after this shot. Here's a for more info about this locomotive engine.

My grandfather told me that one of his first jobs (about 90 years ago) was in the train yards in Philadelphia. The train's steam chambers were bolted to the engines with long bolts that then had to be trimmed off. This was done with a hammer and cold chisel. It was always done on a side track while the steam chambers were being pressure tested. Steam chamber failure was always fatal. There was, of course, before OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration). My grandfather's stories are very precious to me. You image triggered that memory. Thank you.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I have absolutely no idea what this thing is or if it is mechanical. Not electrical or organic, that's for sure. It's just outside the parking lot of a strip club and I go past it a lot. Wait...That doesn't sound right... It's just off to the side of the on-ramp to the highway into town. I pass it when I'm going into Lakewood or coming back from Puyallup. None of you guys are going to believe that, are you??

mechanical3.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/100s f/5.6 ISO100 35mm

Dale

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
My grandfather told me that one of his first jobs (about 90 years ago) was in the train yards in Philadelphia. The train's steam chambers were bolted to the engines with long bolts that then had to be trimmed off. This was done with a hammer and cold chisel. It was always done on a side track while the steam chambers were being pressure tested. Steam chamber failure was always fatal. There was, of course, before OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration). My grandfather's stories are very precious to me. You image triggered that memory. Thank you.

Now you're reminding me of my grandfather (Pop as I called him) - He served his apprenticeship on the London Underground. As a passage of rites way back then (before WW2) - apprentices were encouraged to walk the live wire - a small slip meant a very nasty electric shock. Something my grandfather remembered with such happiness (both the shock which threw him 30 yards apparently and the sense of comradeship).

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Well Deep Diver and Chappers, I'm happy to have triggered some memories of your grandfathers. That's what I love about old machinery... just imagine the stories it could tell. Here's a bit more wikipedia on the 4-8-4 class locomotives (of which the SP&S #700 belonged to) in case you find it interesting.

Old submarines and ships are also fascinating. Especially the old steamers, even the diesel and oil burners. I loved the movie Sandpebbles with Steve McQueen because of the old ship and the way they captured the detail of the inner workings of the boat. Oh well... I digress. ;)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I have absolutely no idea what this thing is or if it is mechanical. Not electrical or organic, that's for sure. It's just outside the parking lot of a strip club and I go past it a lot. Wait...That doesn't sound right... It's just off to the side of the on-ramp to the highway into town. I pass it when I'm going into Lakewood or coming back from Puyallup. None of you guys are going to believe that, are you??

mechanical3.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/100s f/5.6 ISO100 35mm

Dale
So... are you telling us something Dale? :D Actually, it looks like something Paul Allen might commission, to tell you the truth. Maybe they should move it somewhere near his Hendrix museum. I'm not sure what it means, but it's interesting... and weird.

Since it's the last day, officially, I'll toss in one more. I kind of blurred the outer perimeter of the shot... not sure why, I think I was just trying to isolate the engine, and create a sort of dreamy effect... like a hazy past. It's a vintage Curtiss Jenny (WWI) biplane, which you should all recognize, right?

DSC_5158.JPG

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
As I'm off to the UK - I thought I'd mix a bit of traditional English weather in with some mechanical. Not the greatest of pictures but...........Concorde has to be used for something these days

Attachments

• DSCF0047.JPG
    DSCF0047.JPG
    528.1 KB · Views: 68

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
My last one for the current Challenge. This a would-be water powered device of some sort at the Tacoma Transit Station. It is considerably broken and refused to do anything interesting. It's behind thick glass and this is a crop.

mechanical1.jpg

Dale

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
I don't think I've ever seen such a clean 40/50 year old typewriter.

I like your composition a lot. It is very similar to many of mine. I was not, however, able to find a visual focal point. I added some vignetting to bring the eye to the center bottom third.

Well done ! I'm always amazed how others see improvements that the original poster misses .
Guess my opinions on the thread are along the lines of Maxxamillian and Designer Dale and pdxflint . I have no problem with folks posting heavily PS'ed images, or playing around with mine , however , save for B&W conversions and minor adjustments , I (usually) prefer not to tweak my photos .
Much as I'd like to participate more , the ogre of work seems to run my life pretty much from November to around Easter .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.