Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Great shots everyone! Here are mine, taken in Byron Bay (Australia) last week.

3733238110_19e9a808bc.jpg

3732437731_83601f83a5.jpg

3733237098_7fe4eb280f.jpg

C&C always appreciated.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Taken from the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge. C&C appreciated.
1/2500s f/5.6 ISO200 16mm.

Effective and engaging picture....very nice use of complimentary colors (oranges and blues) which just adds to the whole experience...:D Bold PP.

Well done...nice composition and use of light (especially in the foreground which prevented the image from becoming completely black)

This shot does not work for me unfortunately...it is the foreground--simply too much of it and all of it busy. I do like what you tried to capture here, and once focussed on the fisherman the shot becomes interesting.

I think you would have benefited from a tighter frame on this shot--you caught a nice foreground and an interesting background. The person is a bit too far out to add anything to the picture. I do like the overall mood and effect.

Hope this helps. It's all very subjective in the end...

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Theres always really decent work on this forum - design wise!

Heres mine, not exactly silhouette but sort of :p
Just set up a little 'photography studio' in a spare room in my house, if I can even call it a studio lol...

I experimented with creating different borders and textures in PS. These were more tests really to check the lighting where I've set up the rig. All of them are actually HDRI's, each merged from 3 photos at different exposures.

Inspiration was from Karl Blossfeldt and Charlie Hopkinson

Sorry in advance if I've gone a little off topic.
c&c Always welcome

Luke.

Attachments

• Bonzai Tree.jpg
    Bonzai Tree.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • 3 Dead Sticks.jpg
    3 Dead Sticks.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • Nettle In a Vase.jpg
    Nettle In a Vase.jpg
    805.2 KB · Views: 66

Apr 10, 2007
Taken from the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge. C&C appreciated.
1/2500s f/5.6 ISO200 16mm.

Nice, I really like the orange around the clouds, I might have exposed it a little more to brighten up the sky, but that might bring out the details from the city.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Dale -- thank you. I agree about "greening it up." I did not have any time to process this at all. I am most interested in feedback on the composition/framing.

Max -- Your image of the bride is just beautiful. I am not a big fan of soft focus images (strictly a personal thing) but the composition here is just outstanding.

Chappers -- I like your first image. I agree with LittleCanonKid that my eye does not rest anywhere. Rather, my eye follows the contour of the hills which gives me a feeling of very serene movement. I like that I can still see so much detail in the trees. I am not (as I think you know) a big fan of lots of PP. The sky in that image is too blue for my taste. If that is the natural color, then it is what it is. If you did some color adjustment, I would have liked to see more red. Your second image is great. I have seen exactly that view from exactly that angle on many twilight/night dives.

Captain Zero -- I get what you were going for, but it does not work for me. My eye keeps getting drawn to the yellow/orange sky at the left bottom. I think that there is so much dark space that my eye is actually looking for the color. The vignetting and angular distortion are further distractions for me. I like the framing and would love to see this view taken at sunrise.

SUPERSTEVE9219 -- I like this. It is well composed and the detail is great. The lighter patch of sky on the left helps emphasize the transition that happens at dusk.

LittleCanonKid -- I like this composition and the play between the black of the hills and the grey to black transition in the sky. The tree, as it is, is a distractor for me. I do not know if it is out of focus (which I think it is) or if the leaf structure is too "fuzzy". In either case, my eye is drawn to the tree and I would like to have seen it in sharp focus.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
LittleCanonKid -- I like this composition and the play between the black of the hills and the grey to black transition in the sky. The tree, as it is, is a distractor for me. I do not know if it is out of focus (which I think it is) or if the leaf structure is too "fuzzy". In either case, my eye is drawn to the tree and I would like to have seen it in sharp focus.
Ah! Thanks for the C&C. You're right--it is at the very least a little out of focus. It was late at night, and all I had to manually focus was a viewfinder that was already dim (f/5.6) to begin with. If the tree were in sharp focus, would it still be a distraction?

Edit: Oops, I guess I didn't read your last sentence very well :p

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
If the tree were in sharp focus with a well defined leaf structure then the image would be very good. As I said, my eye is drawn to the tree.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
My first one.

Levels and Brightness/Contrast used to bring up texture and deepen shadow.
Fuji FinePix S 602. 8 year old pns.

Dale

Attachments

• 4TNIGHT_1.jpg
    4TNIGHT_1.jpg
    891.8 KB · Views: 86

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Chappers -- I like your first image. I agree with LittleCanonKid that my eye does not rest anywhere. Rather, my eye follows the contour of the hills which gives me a feeling of very serene movement. I like that I can still see so much detail in the trees. I am not (as I think you know) a big fan of lots of PP. The sky in that image is too blue for my taste. If that is the natural color, then it is what it is. If you did some color adjustment, I would have liked to see more red. Your second image is great. I have seen exactly that view from exactly that angle on many twilight/night dives.
The colour was natural - I get some strange colours here - I am also not a fan of lots of PP and only cropped out a light from our hotel. The second shot is also as it came out of the camera. Thanks for the feedback - this thread needs more of it.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Off topic slightly but I do like them - especially the last one - is that a stinging neetle (as we Brits call them)?

Cheers :)
Yup as we brits call them, it is a stinging nettle, I hate them...
But you don't often see them in a vase eh? :p
They're more test shots for a little setup I've made yesterday

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Cheers :)
Yup as we brits call them, it is a stinging nettle, I hate them...
But you don't often see them in a vase eh? :p
They're more test shots for a little setup I've made yesterday

I say -Post more stuff from your blog.

I love nettles - my mother-in-law makes tea from them - they're good for something or other but I'm not sure what - I'm still alive so it can't be too bad :D

As an expat I don't se to many nettles where I'm at just 3 in the garden that my father-in-law nurtures for mother-in-law.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I say -Post more stuff from your blog.

I love nettles - my mother-in-law makes tea from them - they're good for something or other but I'm not sure what - I'm still alive so it can't be too bad :D

As an expat I don't se to many nettles where I'm at just 3 in the garden that my father-in-law nurtures for mother-in-law.

'Post more stuff from your blog' - Like what? If you search for posts I have added, I scatter quite a lot of my work around MacRumors ;) lol

We made nettle soup in scouts :p haha not nice though ...
Oh I found a silhouette photo, although I didn't take it, I'm in it and I've edited it. It was taken on a fully manual B&W Film camera

Attachments

• Untitled-4 - Cropped.jpg
    Untitled-4 - Cropped.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Untitled-4 - Cropped - Cutout.jpg
    Untitled-4 - Cropped - Cutout.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 81

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Need next topic

Wow, I am really impressed by the photographs here; I am really glad so many people have decided to participate. As soon as the sun comes out here in Minnesota I'll be joining in myself.

I want to draw everyone's attention to the fact we need a topic for the next challenge. I have setup a thread here to discuss the next topic. Please come and suggest new topics. If no one participates then the challenges are going to die out. The new challenge starts in a week.

John

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
My first one.

Levels and Brightness/Contrast used to bring up texture and deepen shadow.
Fuji FinePix S 602. 8 year old pns.

Dale

Dale -- I really like this a lot. The shadow is a little chaotic which makes it hard to see what it is (although it looks most like a fence/railing). I love the interplay between the shadow and the rustic texture of the wood. Very good job.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Wow, I am really impressed by the photographs here; I am really glad so many people have decided to participate. As soon as the sun comes out here in Minnesota I'll be joining in myself.

I want to draw everyone's attention to the fact we need a topic for the next challenge. I have setup a thread here to discuss the next topic. Please come and suggest new topics. If no one participates then the challenges are going to die out. The new challenge starts in a week.

John

I've never seen "Minnesota" and "sun" in the same sentence before.

As for the new theme -- I just spent 2 weeks at a camp. One of my responsibilities was to teach foreign language skills. "Alphabet" was the first thing that came to my mind for the next theme.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
'Post more stuff from your blog' - Like what? If you search for posts I have added, I scatter quite a lot of my work around MacRumors ;) lol

We made nettle soup in scouts :p haha not nice though ...
Oh I found a silhouette photo, although I didn't take it, I'm in it and I've edited it. It was taken on a fully manual B&W Film camera

I probably meant to say "post the other silhouette photo on your blog".

I do like your photos on your blog and look forward to bumping into them more often.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008

Well done...nice composition and use of light (especially in the foreground which prevented the image from becoming completely black)

This shot does not work for me unfortunately...it is the foreground--simply too much of it and all of it busy. I do like what you tried to capture here, and once focussed on the fisherman the shot becomes interesting.

I think you would have benefited from a tighter frame on this shot--you caught a nice foreground and an interesting background. The person is a bit too far out to add anything to the picture. I do like the overall mood and effect.

Hope this helps. It's all very subjective in the end...

Thanks for the critique Maxxamillian! I really appreciate it. Yeah, of the 3, I'm happiest with the first one. I can understand what you are saying with the second one as well. I didn't have a long enough lens with me to really get the focus on the fisherman, so on a whim I jsut tried to juxtapose his sillhouette in that setting.... I think if I had been closer, the framing and the composition would have been better as well.

As for the third pic, do you think a composition like this is more appropriate?
3733238184_e3835e0cc6.jpg

paintball312

macrumors member
May 25, 2009
Great sense of scale here and a great shot - how's it done?

Thanks. This one in particular was 7 30 second exposures at ISO 1600 stacked with 15 dark exposures at the same shutter speed, temperature, etc in order to reduce the noise.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Here's one I took in Weybourne (Norfolk coast UK). It was the first weekend after had I bought my camera.

@paintball312 - I really like our picture, those stars are amazing! I'm going to try to take some like this next time I'm by the coast!

3231875453_484b527f11.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.