Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Fortnightly Challenge - July 25 thru August 7

Challenge topic(s): Movement/Motion

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM August 7

Be sure to visit and post your images in our Flickr group.

Rules:
1. Photos should be your own work.
2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up during the week prior to the new challenge.

Lets have fun!!!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
UpAndDown_Sm.jpg

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009

Like the flow of the water and the reflection in the puddle. Motion and stillness.

Waterfront Movement

2010-Aquatennial-Fireworks-011.jpg

The color is great. I like the water and the motion blur. Wish the boat in the bottom left was gone or not so blurry.

More from camp

Great idea. Alot of the shot is just a little out of focus. Was this a series of shots? It might be more interesting as she was coming off the diving board then going in the water.

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
Niagara Falls

Hi guys,

I was amazed at the quality of the posts on this thread. I am by no means a "photographer" but enjoy looking for what I consider "neat" shots but I am using a Canon IS5 camera with no lenses and I do not even know much about aperture, etc... and usually just use the "Auto" setting so bear with me.

Here is a photo I took at the Niagara Falls of a birdy.

Any advice is HIGHLY appreciated and I heave learned a lot just from reading some of the posts.

Take care.

PS: I am adding photos to my flickr account via iPhoto, but I cannot add anything large/better than Photo Size "Web"... is this what you all use? Or do you have to be Pro Flickr user to add large hi-res images? Thanks!

hvp

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
Newbie here

Ok, this is my first look around this side of the forums and although the photo wasn't taken within the challenge period, it's the first time i've posted one of my photos publicly and just thought i'd see what reaction, if any, it gets.

Thanks,

Stu.

Attachments

• Olli_sm.JPG
    Olli_sm.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 253

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Ok, this is my first look around this side of the forums and although the photo wasn't taken within the challenge period, it's the first time i've posted one of my photos publicly and just thought i'd see what reaction, if any, it gets.

Thanks,

Stu.

Welcome and great shot. I think it's exposed nicely and these types of shots work well with the theme and are pretty popular. I like that you have represented the 270 well with the shots you chose to put together. The skier is captured in key parts of the rotation. My only gripe is maybe a little less sky or from a lower angle and more sky:rolleyes:. Also the colors scream Christmas:D

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Interesting way to show the contrast between static and motion. Very well done. The rock in the foreground looks a bit washed out. Is it naturally that light?

Hi guys,
---

Any advice is HIGHLY appreciated and I heave learned a lot just from reading some of the posts.

Take care.

PS: I am adding photos to my flickr account via iPhoto, but I cannot add anything large/better than Photo Size "Web"... is this what you all use? Or do you have to be Pro Flickr user to add large hi-res images? Thanks!
Interesting photo you have here. Looks like you were trying to get the bird and it just took off on you at the moment you pushed the shutter. I like the result. I get the feeling that it's fleeing captivity.

On the Flickr thing, if "Web" means 72 dpi, then yes, that's what most of us do no matter where we post from. I use ImageShack because I'm too lazy to get my Flickr site in shape. I size my posts to fit in a box 1200 px wide and 800 px high. I don't exceed one of those limits. Then it fits on a 13 in MacBook screen.

Waterfront Movement

2010-Aquatennial-Fireworks-011.jpg
Great play on the light trail theme. The plane streak in the sky is a nice addition.

Good work from all.

Dale

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Hi guys,

I was amazed at the quality of the posts on this thread. I am by no means a "photographer" but enjoy looking for what I consider "neat" shots but I am using a Canon IS5 camera with no lenses and I do not even know much about aperture, etc... and usually just use the "Auto" setting so bear with me.

Take care.

You certainly have conveyed a sense of motion here by capturing the snow being kicked up by the bird's foot. It would help a lot if some part of the bird was in sharp focus, but even if that were the case, I think I'd still want to see more of the bird. The composition is about half bird and half background, which gives it an uneasy see-saw quality.

If you're finding that your camera is a bit limiting for action shots, you might try just working on composition for a while. And whatever you do, keep posting your shots here for comments; it's a great way to learn.

Thanks,

Stu.

attachment.php

You've done a very nice job of combining the exposures. The light is great, and you froze the action beautifully. I agree with JDDavis that there is just way too much sky here. You could crop in a lot on the top and at the left and get us a lot "closer" to the action. All of that blank sky is doing nothing for the composition. And yeah, the bright complementary colors are a bit jarring.

Trying to capture static and motion while hanging over a bridge.

motion1.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/80s f/6.3 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 2.8@30mm

Dale

I love photos that juxtapose the static with the dynamic, so I think you were headed in a great direction here; however, in order to pull off that effect in a still frame, it's usually best to exaggerate the motion instead of freezing it (to get a real sense of contrast between the two). A slower shutter speed is usually the solution. With such fast-flowing water, you could probably get away with about 1/20s, which is easily achievable with a stabilized lens and no tripod (I'm going to guess this view would be nearly impossible to get with a tripod). Even slower would probably be better, though. Also, as you know, the eye is attracted to light in an image, so the bits of direct light at the extreme upper edge of the frame command attention in this one. The placement of those parts in the composition literally marginalizes them, and they don't seem to be revealing anything important to us, so I get sense that their inclusion is unintentional. Getting the right light on moving water is super tricky, so I can appreciate what you were up against here.

Interesting way to show the contrast between static and motion. Very well done. The rock in the foreground looks a bit washed out. Is it naturally that light?

Thanks, Dale. Do you mean the granite surrounding the still pool? A check of the histogram for that area shows it to be mostly mids and quarter tones, so if you're seeing something lighter than that, perhaps you're using a laptop monitor? I know my MacBook Pro's monitor (even when calibrated to the extent that it can be) makes all images look washed out. At any rate, it's granite reflecting light from the sky, so yeah, its tonal values are more or less authentic here.

I love this, it's very dreamy. Great contrast of the sharp rocks and water in motion, and the reflective puddle at the front adds to it's success as a point of interest keeping the eye busy. Technically and visually superb.

Thank you very much, Reef. A great compliment coming from the master of moving water himself. :)

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008

Interesting photo you have here. Looks like you were trying to get the bird and it just took off on you at the moment you pushed the shutter. I like the result. I get the feeling that it's fleeing captivity.

On the Flickr thing, if "Web" means 72 dpi, then yes, that's what most of us do no matter where we post from. I use ImageShack because I'm too lazy to get my Flickr site in shape. I size my posts to fit in a box 1200 px wide and 800 px high. I don't exceed one of those limits. Then it fits on a 13 in MacBook screen.

Great play on the light trail theme. The plane streak in the sky is a nice addition.

Good work from all.

Dale

Thank you for the kind words and advice. I was actually trying to get the bird as it took off and my wife was moving closer and closer to the bird in hopes of getting it to fly away. Unfortunately, there were so many people at Niagara falls that another person scared the bird away when I was not expecting it. I panned the camera across to where I thought the bird was located and ended up with this image. I was pleased that the snow came through rather well but disappointed that I lost half the bird. Better luck next time for me :)

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009

Beautiful. Very nicely done. I couldn't exactly tell though if it was two butterflies or two exposures of the same one? Initially I'd say too much green on the left but I think it works with this. It kind of makes the pic simple and clean. I think it would also look great cropped closer.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009

I really, really like this image. The colors, the capture of the moment. Was the blur done in PP? The only thing that keeps catching my eye is the flatness of the lady in the background. Against the sky there is no depth to her at all. In a way I kind of like it though. The colors and that flatness make it a bit nostalgic...if that makes sense.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
Beautiful. Very nicely done. I couldn't exactly tell though if it was two butterflies or two exposures of the same one? Initially I'd say too much green on the left but I think it works with this. It kind of makes the pic simple and clean. I think it would also look great cropped closer.

It's 2 butterflies. This is actually cropped down a bit - there were some other plants to the right that made it far too busy. There's another shot here,but only one entry for the contest ;)

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I really, really like this image. The colors, the capture of the moment. Was the blur done in PP? The only thing that keeps catching my eye is the flatness of the lady in the background. Against the sky there is no depth to her at all. In a way I kind of like it though. The colors and that flatness make it a bit nostalgic...if that makes sense.

It was a little bit blurred to begin with, but I made it a bit more obvious, the dog didn't stick out enough with the busy background.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
It's 2 butterflies. This is actually cropped down a bit - there were some other plants to the right that made it far too busy. There's another shot here,but only one entry for the contest ;)

For the Fortnightly Challenge you can post (and critique) as many photos as you would like. It's only the Weekly Contest that is limited to one photo :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.