Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtnbikemama

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
Northern CA
I took this last night, always wanted to try this, this challenge seems good place to learn.

My 4 yr son loves riding his Indy car, so with my T1i on tripod and using 580 flash I took a series of these experimenting.
1 sec or longer proved too long, just streaks w/o seeing him as ghost.
(actually depended on how fast he was going by also, slower speed needs longer exposure to show movement)

This is at 0.4 sec, the flash froze him and made visible, but still he has a ghost appearance, shutter is on 2nd sync.

As C&C how can I get the movement look AND a more solid looking son?

T1i, 580 exII flash, shutter priority @ 0.4 sec, ISO 100, 15-85 lens @ 42mm. Focused for distance prior and switched to manual for shots.
_MG_0583.jpg

I really like this, ghosting and all! Hey, I looked at your home theater project. Very nice! I love your basement. I love the colors your wife picked, they are very cheery & homey. The pics of your boys helping are great!

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
how can I get the movement look AND a more solid looking son?

I had the same issue the other day trying to shoot a skate sesh just after sunset in a park. I only have the popup flash on my xti. I think either a stronger flash (was your turned all the way up), or a higher iso might help as it seems the sensor isnt able to collect the info fast enough even with the provided flash of light.

At a local show, they had this guy bustin out some moves... :D

Exif Info:
Camera Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 800

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I really like this, ghosting and all! Hey, I looked at your home theater project. Very nice! I love your basement. I love the colors your wife picked, they are very cheery & homey. The pics of your boys helping are great!

Thx, family first! Michelle picked those colors to emphasize "come play and live here". Took me from late 2004 thru just now to finish the basement, slow and steady got it done.
Moves my heart when my boys show up in work goggles/gloves to help dad with a task, I'll remember these times when they are teens and really testing me.

I think for the "Movement" thing I'll put the 50mm f1.4 prime on and shoot really shallow DOF next time, making sure external flash is dialed very strong.
Possible try panning on the tripod and panning by hand as well.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
From the free Cirque du Soleil thing in Toronto last year. It was 3 days long, and this was from the hour-long free show. It's definitely not my favourite photo from the event, but it fits the theme better than the others. :)

Attachments

• 2009-06-14 Luminato, Cirque du Soleil-163.jpg
    2009-06-14 Luminato, Cirque du Soleil-163.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 78
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.