Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Bees

4451695249_e75f9d24cf_b.jpg

D300
Sigma 105mm
1:4 - 1:3 life size
ISO 800
f/18
1/320 sec
~40% crop for framing
pop up flash

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
For some flowers, spring ended before it started.
4452568516_fd3eb2abdd_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 24 mm
ISO Speed: 500
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
4428788352_9f05f3c283_o.jpg

Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/1.8
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100

pp in aperture 3.:)

Great job on getting the focus with such a thin DOF!

I would think about playing with cropping and maybe even flipping this one.
The issue is it is such a small part of the whole photo the general feeling looking is a bit like a where's waldo poster... ah there's the subject.

I would say to start with everything above and to the left of the discernable flowers. So maybe a 1/4 off the top and just over a 1/3 from the left. maybe a touch off the right and bottom if you have a prefered aspect ratio to stick with.
I might also think about flipping the image horizontally. This give the flowers a bit of a left to right slant which is always nice, placing the bee in the upper right 1/3 of the frame facing back into it.

slieu92

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
California
Great job on getting the focus with such a thin DOF!

I would think about playing with cropping and maybe even flipping this one.
The issue is it is such a small part of the whole photo the general feeling looking is a bit like a where's waldo poster... ah there's the subject.

I would say to start with everything above and to the left of the discernable flowers. So maybe a 1/4 off the top and just over a 1/3 from the left. maybe a touch off the right and bottom if you have a prefered aspect ratio to stick with.
I might also think about flipping the image horizontally. This give the flowers a bit of a left to right slant which is always nice, placing the bee in the upper right 1/3 of the frame facing back into it.

Great bokeh and the bee is a perfect touch!

thanks guys :)

Attachments

• IMG_8125 - Version 3.jpg
    IMG_8125 - Version 3.jpg
    799.3 KB · Views: 88

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I like that much better.

As Nathan pointed out Great Bokeh, it seemed the Bokeh was the focus and there was a nice bee in the photo, now the bee is the focus and there is nice Bokeh in the photo... at least my opinion.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
For some flowers, spring ended before it started.
4452568516_fd3eb2abdd_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 24 mm
ISO Speed: 500
^^^ I like the colors here. Contrast and saturation are very complimentary to the subject. The large flower is a bit centered, but I don't think that takes anything off the composition.

Gaudi's Sagrada is an example of organic architecture. These columns were suppose to resemble tree trunks.

3624073305_98f5e2c6d1_b.jpg

Camera: Canon PowerShot G10
Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 6.1 mm
ISO Speed: 160
^^^ Great angle on this shot. Really adds a strong feel of scale to it all. Great subject and nice lighting, too.

It seems all I'm surrounded by is green... and organic. ;) I went on a walk with only one lens, a 300mm f/4, to force myself to see things differently. With a pack of dogs full of excitement and up to their usual exploring antics, and an environment with lots of movement everywhere--it was hard to really find any perspective that would fit the world I was in (with a 450mm equivalent stuck on the front of my camera.) Lots of stuff was at close quarters, little wide-open spaces to give the lens room to breath... but slowly I began noticing the ordinary little details... often so easily overlooked.

Fern growing from moss on the side of an alder tree on my place in the Oregon coast range.

Camera: Nikon D300 w/ 300mm f/4 AF-ED
ISO: 800
Exposure: 1/800 sec
Aperture: f/4
Exp. comp: -1 stop
^^^ Nice selective focus and color here. It's good to dig out those lenses that have been on the shelf for a while and stretch them out. "Out of My Comfort Zone" would make an interesting Challenge.

Dale

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Extremely cool. I love everything about this (except for the scaffolding. How dare they have had it there when you wanted tp shoot this!!!!!! :D:D:D)

^^^ I like the colors here. Contrast and saturation are very complimentary to the subject. The large flower is a bit centered, but I don't think that takes anything off the composition.

^^^ Great angle on this shot. Really adds a strong feel of scale to it all. Great subject and nice lighting, too.
The scaffoldings are not a bug, they're a feature. What they never show in tourist brochures is that Sagrada Familia will be under construction for a loooong time:D:

3624883364_50a480f6ec_b.jpg

Gaudi is just way ahead of his time. There's an exhibit within the cathedral detailing the other organic features of the building.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
The point of the challenge to be challenged. Lets start seeing something other than plants that fit Organic! :D:cool:

But it's spring (in some places) and we haven't had color all year! :D I know what your saying though. I've actually got lots of recent flower pics but I've held off trying to come up with something else organic. You'll see more flowers before we are done though.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
This splits the difference. It's got plants BUT, it's plants on a building. +HDR for no reason because I could.

La Caixa in Madrid.

[T/IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3358/3640894540_503f0e271c_o.jpg[T/IMG]
Camera: Canon PowerShot G10
Focal Length: 6.1 mm

That's pretty much awesome. +1 for the HDR not being over the top. The only complaint is the HDR may have made the top and left of the plant building a bit distracting because of the outline. Looks like a really cool place though.

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Not a flower...

p519386940-4.jpg

I dig the color and the contrast. Quite ambient.

Here's another architectural feature inspired by organic design. Reminds me of so many spiral patterns in nature. I pretend that the light at the bottom is bioluminescence.

244380930_58a7bb4827_b.jpg

Camera: Casio EX-Z750
Exposure: 0.125 sec (1/8)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 7.9 mm
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Not a flower...

p519386940-4.jpg

I really like the contrast between the rich red and the almost monochromatic flora. The relatively small size of the butterfly add a sense of delicacy. The way you have this framed, however, I have to push my eye to see the red. The background takes up a full half of the frame. I would love to see this with a little more foreground and less background.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
But it's spring (in some places) and we haven't had color all year! :D I know what your saying though. I've actually got lots of recent flower pics but I've held off trying to come up with something else organic. You'll see more flowers before we are done though.

COLOR!!! What's that! :eek: I'll probably be guilty of flowers at some point, but going to restrain myself in this challenge.

My Plant Deer above does not approve :D

Uh oh...

Not a flower...

Really like the image. A little bit of cropping is needed imo. The top third feels dead since there is no hint of the red/orange.

Here's another architectural feature inspired by organic design. Reminds me of so many spiral patterns in nature. I pretend that the light at the bottom is bioluminescence.

Awesome shot. For some reason it feels like the inside of an abandoned lighthouse, even though I have never been in one.

Here are some clouds and blue sky from a couple weeks ago. So nice to see blue above instead of grey.

Attachments

• Sky_H_5.jpg
    Sky_H_5.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMGP4793 - Version 4.jpg
    IMGP4793 - Version 4.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 85
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.