Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I really like the contrast between the rich red and the almost monochromatic flora. The relatively small size of the butterfly add a sense of delicacy. The way you have this framed, however, I have to push my eye to see the red. The background takes up a full half of the frame. I would love to see this with a little more foreground and less background.

Really like the image. A little bit of cropping is needed imo. The top third feels dead since there is no hint of the red/orange.

I agree on both accounts. I haven't been satisfied with the crop yet. I may mess with it later tonight. I'm not sure if there is much more foreground left in the original but I agree there is too much dead space in the top half. In reality the butterfly was in a tunnel of green and I was trying to stay with that feel. I didn't want to crop in to closely to the butterfly because like you said, I liked it better small.

Thanks for the comment:)

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Here's what you see once you get to the top of the stairs:
244380788_9ed0bbcb48_b.jpg

It's the staircase inside the Arc de Triomphe.

I'm sure I realized the Arc had stairs in it but I didn't know you could go up them. The first time I drove to Paris I accidently ended up in the traffic circle around the Arc...and on the inside. Glad I had watched some NASCAR in my day or I'd still be going around in circles.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
The point of the challenge to be challenged. Lets start seeing something other than plants that fit Organic! :D:cool:

It's only taken with my iPhone but I couldn't resist. It's not a plant, it's a fungus! :D:cool::cool:

img0139o.jpg

Taken yesterday with my new lens. This has so many possibilities...

barkdetail1.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/80s f/8.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 f/2.8@44mm

Dale

That's a nice lens. You get the feeling you could almost reach out and feel the texture.

Gaudi's Sagrada is an example of organic architecture. These columns were suppose to resemble tree trunks.

3624073305_98f5e2c6d1_b.jpg

I love the organic feel of the architecture and the exposure which nicely captures the transition into the light.

That's amazing. There can't have been a breath of wind. Nice rosemary too!

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
the best homemade peanut butter cups

edit:
C&C welcomed and appreciated

Attachments

• DSC_0011 (1).jpg
    DSC_0011 (1).jpg
    390 KB · Views: 86

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
the best homemade peanut butter cups

edit:
C&C welcomed and appreciated
^^^ I would be interested in seeing the original shot. This looks like it has been edited a bit too much. It is a tad dark overall and something has created a halo around the cup. That happens a lot when image adjustment are used too much. The subject is interesting. It has a lot of texture and character to it. Another stop down would have probably placed the whole piece in focus. I can't tell if you used a tripod or not. They come in handy for things like this. When you shoot, try to keep the subject off center. When it is centered, it tends to become static. If it is even a bit off center, the eye is forced to move around the image. Nice start and welcome to the Challenge.

Mine. An organic little building on the road to Mt. Rainier. There were about eight of these in a row by a restaurant. All different.

oddlittlestructurecopy.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/125s f/5.6 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 2.8 @33mm

Dale​

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I agree on both accounts. I haven't been satisfied with the crop yet. I may mess with it later tonight. I'm not sure if there is much more foreground left in the original but I agree there is too much dead space in the top half. In reality the butterfly was in a tunnel of green and I was trying to stay with that feel. I didn't want to crop in to closely to the butterfly because like you said, I liked it better small.

Thanks for the comment:)

Tried a different crop. Perhaps a little better?

p860967555-4.jpg

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
A contribution with a couple of rocks & plants (trying to avoid flowers & fires ;) ) (clickable)

Attachments

• _7002529.jpg
    _7002529.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 82

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago

Definitely 'feels' better to look at. My eye now does a little spiral around the image to see all the red/orange and I don't miss seeing any of the composition. Also, the slight change in contrast helps define everything that much better.

Possible to crop one like this for us to use as a wallpaper? 1920x1200 preferably.

Attachments

• ButterflyCropped.jpg
    ButterflyCropped.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 80

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I don't know how many of you have seen this graph. It's very funny but there is something to it.

stages.png

For the past couple of months I've been in the "Dammit, I suck" stage. I decided to push myself toward "one exposure per motive). I spent about 30 minutes in the woods behind my house and shot 60 frames. A lot that came out is not great - the woods are too monochromatic right now - but I did have to think more actively about composition. There are about 6 images I like enough to post. I've made some color level and lighting adjustments to the images. A couple are full frame and a couple were cropped a little to tighten up the image. I need feedback on this stuff.

Here's the first one. My cat was following me and gave me a lot of immediate opportunities. Composing these was very hard and I resisted the urge to shoot off 3 or 4 frames at one time. It is sheer luck that the curve of her tail, back, and head exactly mimic the profile of the log.

Attachments

• Skitty-2-resize.jpg
    Skitty-2-resize.jpg
    880.9 KB · Views: 98

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Definitely 'feels' better to look at. My eye now does a little spiral around the image to see all the red/orange and I don't miss seeing any of the composition. Also, the slight change in contrast helps define everything that much better.

Possible to crop one like this for us to use as a wallpaper? 1920x1200 preferably.

I like this if the goal is to emphasize the relationship between the various red/orange artifacts. With it being cropped this tightly I feel like I've lost the context.

p860967555-4.jpg

This is better but I think there is still too much negative space and the butterfly is a bit too close to center for me. I tried taking "a little off the top." I'm not sure I think it makes a real difference, but I'll throw it out there.

Attachments

• Jeff-2.jpg
    Jeff-2.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 91

akshaydeo

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
Busy Bee

Took this on saturday in the Park.

Exif Info:

F 5.6 Exposure 1/200 Focal Length: 105

Attachments

• Riverwalk Park-05.jpg
    Riverwalk Park-05.jpg
    974.3 KB · Views: 85

akshaydeo

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
Octopus

Took this a LONG time back.. Paros, Greece - 2008

F 2.8 Exposure time: 1/258

Attachments

• DSCN1367.JPG
    DSCN1367.JPG
    858.5 KB · Views: 87

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
My daughter planting last week

Yes, I was "laying in the dirt" as low as I could get, shooting wide @ 18mm, the early evening lighting came into play, some basic PP done.
She was planting when I came home from work, I told her to keep doing what she was doing before I came (and don't look at daddy getting dirty on work clothes).
For people who live in the states/Michigan, we like U of M and MSU.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Creek rock

Everything's organic around here, but lot's of it is just growing or dead plant material of some kind. Wish I had access to some organic architecture...;) Anyway, I've got lots of stuff from treks into the darkish, green/brown woods, kind of like deep diver. Just try to find something with the light, or patterns... or maybe just a snapshot like this...

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I like this if the goal is to emphasize the relationship between the various red/orange artifacts. With it being cropped this tightly I feel like I've lost the context.

This is better but I think there is still too much negative space and the butterfly is a bit too close to center for me. I tried taking "a little off the top." I'm not sure I think it makes a real difference, but I'll throw it out there.

I like them both (your crop and mine). I didn't want to get to close in and over emphasize the butterfly. Where it was was kind of the subject too but I like these better than my original crop. Thanks for taking a look at these!

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009

I think it's a good crop and thanks. I have some other shots that were in landscape of this same butterfly but this crop works too. I shot this pic vertically to try to get the "deep in the jungle" feel for the butterfly. Thanks for the interest.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
How's this? Female Blue Banded Bee (Australian native solitary Bee):

_DN_3718_clone.jpg

Taken around 2:1.

Dave

That is a whole lot of awesome! Very nice. Some might say that it's a bit centered but I'm secretly fond of centering shots. Would you mind reporting your equipment and settings for this one. I think getting into true macro is going to be in my near future.

Your next pic of the spider is equally impressive.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
For the past couple of months I've been in the "Dammit, I suck" stage. I decided to push myself toward "one exposure per motive). I spent about 30 minutes in the woods behind my house and shot 60 frames. A lot that came out is not great - the woods are too monochromatic right now - but I did have to think more actively about composition. There are about 6 images I like enough to post. I've made some color level and lighting adjustments to the images. A couple are full frame and a couple were cropped a little to tighten up the image. I need feedback on this stuff.

Here's the first one. My cat was following me and gave me a lot of immediate opportunities. Composing these was very hard and I resisted the urge to shoot off 3 or 4 frames at one time. It is sheer luck that the curve of her tail, back, and head exactly mimic the profile of the log.

I like the position you caught her in, it's interesting. It looks like she is on the hunt. My feedback would be that the framing of the shot doesn't emphasize that she is on the hunt. Maybe if it was shot from a lower and more to the right angle (and closer) so there would be less background (or less distracting) and a little more focused on her eyes and that same curved position. I don't know...that was just my immediate thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.