Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Both_H_4-Version3.jpg

I did not look quite closely enough to recognize that your first image was in the Loop. I could not mistake the Sears Tower (or whatever it is now called) in this image.

Here is another repost that I hope you will like.

Attachments

• Chicago in Bean-1.JPG
    Chicago in Bean-1.JPG
    704.9 KB · Views: 87

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I did not look quite closely enough to recognize that your first image was in the Loop. I could not mistake the Sears Tower (or whatever it is now called) in this image.

Here is another repost that I hope you will like.

When I shoot downtown, I try not to make it obvious what city I'm in unless I'm going for something special and unique to Chicago. I prefer the images to relate to 'AnyCity' USA.

It's still the Sears Tower to me even if the name has changed.

I do like it. I have yet to personally take a shot of the Bean that I like. Something about it is hard for me to shoot.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Recently at the Lincoln Memorial. It should be nice this weekend so I hope I can get some new shots for this challenge.

4410125154_0203ec9aa3_b.jpg

The Lincoln Memorial is an imposing structure. I have seen very few images that convey any sense of that. You have focused on a very small part that somehow feels quite large. Very well done.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
When I shoot downtown, I try not to make it obvious what city I'm in unless I'm going for something special and unique to Chicago. I prefer the images to relate to 'AnyCity' USA.

It's still the Sears Tower to me even if the name has changed.

I do like it. I have yet to personally take a shot of the Bean that I like. Something about it is hard for me to shoot.

The shape of the bridge is the give away. The Bean was hard to shoot because it is so easy for the reflection to look bad. I shot a lot of garbage before I got this.

I have some other shots from Millennium Park that I'll put up in the next few days.

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
Got my first decent camera, DSC W300, last week.

Scared of the world:

Attachments

• scared.jpg
    scared.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 106

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
The Lincoln Memorial is an imposing structure. I have seen very few images that convey any sense of that. You have focused on a very small part that somehow feels quite large. Very well done.

Thanks alot for the kind words. This pic was a nice surprise. It is imposing as well as are a lot of the buildings and memorials around D.C. I don't think I've ever taken a shot of one in it's entirety that didn't look like a tourist snapshot. For example, I could post all my Washington Memorial shots and put everyone here to sleep.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
This is my daughter through a tiny opening in a bush that I was hiding behind when we were playing hide and seek.

Attachments

• DSC_5282.jpg
    DSC_5282.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 92

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Okay (or not okay) my picture attachment problem is back. Here's the post I placed on the Site Feedback forum:

The MR support people have not heard of this happening.

I've had an intermittent problem attaching photographs to my posts. I am composing my post as usual and then trying to attach my photo as usual. When I click the attachment button nothing happens. All of the other buttons work and the problem is the same in Safari and Firefox. The photographs are smaller than the size limit. It is happening on the Weekly Photo Contest and Fortnightly fora in the Digital Photography forum.

Any ideas?
Thanks

So, any ideas?

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Okay (or not okay) my picture attachment problem is back. Here's the post I placed on the Site Feedback forum:

The MR support people have not heard of this happening.

I've had an intermittent problem attaching photographs to my posts. I am composing my post as usual and then trying to attach my photo as usual. When I click the attachment button nothing happens. All of the other buttons work and the problem is the same in Safari and Firefox. The photographs are smaller than the size limit. It is happening on the Weekly Photo Contest and Fortnightly fora in the Digital Photography forum.

Any ideas?
Thanks

So, any ideas?

You've eliminated the only problem that I have had and that's the image being too large. Perhaps it's right on the border? I haven't had any problems posting recently. Hope the bug works out for you.

Hold the phone...I just realized you might be talking about the paper clip button at the top. It does nothing for me either. I never used that so I didn't notice it. I always used the "Manage Attachments" button below in the additional options setting. In this response that I am writing neither button works. If I open Macrumors again in a new tab and post a new reply both buttons work fine. Not sure if this helps or not.

Edit: OK, I just tried re-qouting your post and going back to this post and editing and both attachment buttons are working fine. I swear for a minute they were not. I'm not sure what is happening for you???:confused:

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
You've eliminated the only problem that I have had and that's the image being too large. Perhaps it's right on the border? I haven't had any problems posting recently. Hope the bug works out for you.

Hold the phone...I just realized you might be talking about the paper clip button at the top. It does nothing for me either. I never used that so I didn't notice it. I always used the "Manage Attachments" button below in the additional options setting. In this response that I am writing neither button works. If I open Macrumors again in a new tab and post a new reply both buttons work fine. Not sure if this helps or not.

It does and does not help. That is exactly the problem I'm having. It just started a day or two ago.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
It does and does not help. That is exactly the problem I'm having. It just started a day or two ago.

Have you tried kicking Safari in the butt? Empty the cache first. Reset it if that doesn't work. I gave the procedure a test run and didn't have an issue.

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Have you tried kicking Safari in the butt? Empty the cache first. Reset it if that doesn't work. I gave the procedure a test run and didn't have an issue.

Dale

Been there. Done that. Did you have a problem before that? It's happening in both Safari and Fire Fox. It is also intermittent without any apparent pattern. Jeff has the same experience and I saw some recent threads addressing some other MR specific problems. Regardless of the incompatiblity, I'm inclined to look at this as primarily an MR issue.

BTW: I did try hitting it with a hammer. That didn't work either. The duct tape seems to be doing its job.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
^^^ Probably a MR thing. Every now and then buttons change names and the like.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to have an murky future from this perspective. Nisqually Delta.

murkyfuture.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/8s f/5.6 ISO100 Tamron 28-300 VC@30mm

Dale

Hey, folks. There is a Rate This Thread button up in the top of the page. Just say'n...

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Well I was going to post something I shot yesterday but I'm having the Deep Diver attachment button problem this morning. I think you infected my button Deep Diver. Couldn't make it work for anything so here's an older shot linked from Flickr. (looking up or down?)

4293855045_0da59717c6_o.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
^^^ Probably a MR thing. Every now and then buttons change names and the like.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to have an murky future from this perspective. Nisqually Delta.

murkyfuture.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/8s f/5.6 ISO100 Tamron 28-300 VC@30mm

Dale

Hey, folks. There is a Rate This Threat button up in the top of the page. Just say'n...

Nice perspective but everything just looks flat. Your levels were skewed to a pretty narrow area in the center. I pulled the levels in and that really brought out everything.

Well I was going to post something I shot yesterday but I'm having the Deep Diver attachment button problem this morning. I think you infected my button Deep Diver. Couldn't make it work for anything so here's an older shot linked from Flickr. (looking up or down?)

4293855045_0da59717c6_o.jpg

Also a great perspective and I like the "live or Memorex" thing. (Anyone that doesn't know that reference has got to be a baby because I'm not that old. :D:D:D) I think a lot is lost in the shadows. I would like to see more exposure. I would like to see richer colors in the leaves as well but I know that is a seasonal issue. I took some liberties in adjusting brightness, shadows, highlights, and contrast. My version still needs work but it might give you an idea what I'm thinking.

==============================

I have an idea about that button thing. I realized that the problem started when I made an adjustment in one of my settings. I don't want to jinx anything so I'll tell you in a couple of days. If I'm right then the fix is easy and inconvenient at the same time.

Attachments

• Dale-1.jpg
    Dale-1.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 92
  • Jeff-1.jpg
    Jeff-1.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 90

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
There is a real greasy-spoon diner near our house. It is real old fashioned place. Everyone knows everyone. Cash only. Cheap. Lots of grease. SO GOOD. I shot a bunch of pictures the other day.

Here is the first. I could not decide which shot to post, so I'm posting them both. There are multiple perspectives in this one. These men really caught my attention. There is my position looking into their lives rather than taking their picture. The positions of the men relative to each other. The twins truly are identical. The biggest for me is in their hats. American military forces today are celebrated. During the war in Vietnam our troops were reviled and rejected. Many of them still bear those scars. (I have treated some and those scars run very deep. Many are still not able to live outside of a very small circle of friends, and many are not able to live in "the civilized world"). I was moved by the pride with which they wear their hats.

Attachments

• Jim's-9-resized.jpg
    Jim's-9-resized.jpg
    981.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Jim's-10-resized.jpg
    Jim's-10-resized.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 126

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Nice perspective but everything just looks flat. Your levels were skewed to a pretty narrow area in the center. I pulled the levels in and that really brought out everything.

Thanks for the comment, Bruce.

I looked at that before I posted the pic, but it was way too harsh with the end points pulled in. It forces the white point down to 196 from 255. I don't like to go below 240 for that. My OP is what it looked like. There are light boards cropped off the bottom that are blown out with even a bit of pinching. I tend to stick to the "That's what it looks like" school of photography, which comes from learning on film many moons before computing came into play.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.