Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
160721820_72be73816b_b.jpg

Camera: Canon PowerShot A70
Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 5.4 mm
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
rocks-1.jpg

d80
21mm f3.5
+++

This reminds me of Lake Tahoe. Could it be from there? Course it could be rocks you bought at Home Depot. Just a bit dark for me. It could brighten up just a bit...the colors in those rocks are always nice.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
This is from a few years ago on the Petit Verte in France. It's not that great of a shot but it's from one of my favorite perspectives on the world...steep and high up. It was shot with my old Minolta DiMage 7i which was my first digital camera. It had cracked earlier on this trip because of the cold. Still works today.

The second one is my favorite pic of the whole trip. Just for the memories for me and the way it makes my wife's stomach turn since she is afraid of heights.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• climbers.jpg
    climbers.jpg
    854.2 KB · Views: 89
  • RopeVerte.jpg
    RopeVerte.jpg
    811.3 KB · Views: 84

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
It's in Valencia Spain. It's a road overpass (Puente Monteolivete) that bisects the City of Arts and Sciences. That complex is probably the most photogenic post-war site I've come across. As you can see from the pic below, you can imagine the many ways you can take pics that play with perspective. Y'all far better at this picture-taking than I am, so come down to this place some day and see what you can do with it.
3649153021_f4aa96fdae_b.jpg

There's more of it in this set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dailymatador/sets/72157620084177191/

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I can't resist commenting on the "that's what it looks like" school of photography. I don't believe there is such a thing as capturing what something "looks like." Cameras can't even capture what the eye and brain might register for a particular person, let alone some 'reality' that would be true for any viewer. In my view, all photos are interpretations. So the goal of the photographer should be to produce a compelling image by whatever means necessary. I think it does photographers a disservice to suggest that all we do is merely 'record' or 'duplicate' that which already exists.

I understand what you meant is that you prefer an appearance of naturalism, but I would like to stress that such an appearance is also a contrivance. You have a lot of decisions to make at the moment of capture, any one of which might substantially alter the resulting photograph and yet still make it look 'natural.' Some images that appear very 'natural' are nonetheless the products of substantial manipulation, and conversely, some images that are "straight out of the camera" look utterly surreal.

Yes, I'm on a soapbox right now, but this is an issue that I really take to heart. The more that people think of photographers as button-pushers, the less credit we get for being creators.

and in the middle of a thread comes these words of insight, I always learn reading Phrasikleia's comments, and seeing her photos.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
It's in Valencia Spain. It's a road overpass (Puente Monteolivete) that bisects the City of Arts and Sciences. That complex is probably the most photogenic post-war site I've come across. As you can see from the pic below, you can imagine the many ways you can take pics that play with perspective. Y'all far better at this picture-taking than I am, so come down to this place some day and see what you can do with it.
3649153021_f4aa96fdae_b.jpg

There's more of it in this set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dailymatador/sets/72157620084177191/

I love this form. It's by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava ( if you didn't already know ), I've studied him at Uni... Architecture. The tenerife Opera house is equally as breath-taking !

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
The second one is my favorite pic of the whole trip. Just for the memories for me and the way it makes my wife's stomach turn since she is afraid of heights.:rolleyes:

I showed your shot to my wife, and she could not look at it... vertigo ensued...:cool:
Great shots.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
<<||>>
^^ Really conveys height and angle. The clouds show that the camera wasn't tilted to exaggerate anything. The stress on the rope in the lower portion of the frame really lets us know that this was a perilous image. Nice.

Mine for today. UP from a safe place...

flower4.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/400s f/5.6 ISO100 Tamron 28-300VC@65mm

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This was taken with an old P&S. Nowhere near the quality I would like but it's what I had with me at the time.

Attachments

• Jim's-8.jpg
    Jim's-8.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
So, I think I figured out the attachment button problem. My problem started after I told Safari to keep me signed on. When I reset Safari it worked fine until I again told it to remember me. I've reset it again, did not tell it to remember me, and now I have no problems at all. What I can't figure is that I had this problem with Firefox at the same time but never told Firefox to remember me on MR. No problems with Firefox since I reset Safari. Weird, but fixed.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
So, I think I figured out the attachment button problem. My problem started after I told Safari to keep me signed on. <<||>> Weird, but fixed.

I'm not clear on this. Did you tell Safari to remember you or MR to do so? I can't find anything in Safari for sign-in, but I know that when I sign into MR, there is a check box for that. If I reset Safari, it clears this info and I have to sign in again for the forums. That would put the problem on the MR side of things.

I have have odd things happen with the buttons sometimes renaming themselves. The Save button in editing a post will be named Submit Reply or something like that.

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I'm not clear on this. Did you tell Safari to remember you or MR to do so? I can't find anything in Safari for sign-in, but I know that when I sign into MR, there is a check box for that. If I reset Safari, it clears this info and I have to sign in again for the forums. That would put the problem on the MR side of things.

I have have odd things happen with the buttons sometimes renaming themselves. The Save button in editing a post will be named Submit Reply or something like that.

Dale

I was not clear. It was the MR check box for this. I've had buttons rename themselves but still work properly. This one just did not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.