Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Bruce - tweak it a little - you know your want too!! :)

Well......... I already had. In this one, I pushed up the blue a little and darkened the highlights.

I'm an experiential learner. This is a really good exercise for me.

Attachments

• totem-redo-800.jpg
    totem-redo-800.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Lighting

This is a detail of a large sundial in the waterfront park on Ruston Way in Tacoma. I took this with my trusty P&S awhile ago.

lighting1.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/60s f/5.6 ISO100 14.2mm (35mm eq:80mm)

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The aforementioned sundial. Yes it was about 2:40.

lighting2.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/800s f/4.5 ISO80 5.8mm (35mm eq:33mm)

Dale

OOPS, I deleted this one when I cleaned out multiple uploads to ImageShack. The better one is still OK.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
This huge lump of rock dominates the area and the town that it sits over. I found out I'd be a father after my wife fell down a staircase - cut short the trip and the hospital visit led to the question "Before we X-ray you - is there any chance you are pregnant?". I quick scan later ...... and the rest is history.

4127958280_b8b8390baf_b.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I'm also sitting here on this beautiful sunny late November day wondering how we can entice a few more people onto this thread? Any thoughts?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I'll bite
lapland0010.jpg

Exposure: Shooting into the sun late or early in the day is a challenge, so I'm not going to say much about the exposure. You probably recognize it as blown out in the highlights and soft in the shadows. That gives it a strong highlight but not much of a good black to balance it out. If you get a chance to reshoot this be sure to bracket several exposures.

Composition: This suffers from lack of strong verticals in the same was that my sundial photo does. Look carefully at vertical and horizontal lines in the viewfinder before you squeeze the shutter. Pick what's most dominate and line it up with the edge of the viewfinder. That takes care of the "Tilted Building" feel. Then look at all of the elements in the frame and decide what you really want to have in there. I found the slanted line in the parking lot distracting and felt the tree on the right took something away from the building/sunset that was what you were going for. You can do some of this in the camera, but cropping in Post can be handy. You have a better camera than I do, so I hope I'm not talking down to you...:eek:

My take on this.

Dale

Attachments

• lapland0010_2.jpg
    lapland0010_2.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 71

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I'm also sitting here on this beautiful sunny late November day wondering how we can entice a few more people onto this thread? Any thoughts?

This will be my first post in the Digital Photography forum.

This shot is through the windshield of my truck while trying to get a better feel for the controls in my camera. I'm really liking night photography so I'll probably outgrow this camera fairly quickly.

There was a fuel island on the other side of the Wally World truck, I don't remember where the white reflected light was coming from, it was at the end of a very long day. The light on the pipe is from the clearance/parking lights on my truck.

f/2.8, 15s, ISO80, 6mm

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 239

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
OOps. How's this?

Dale

Okay. Now a little to the left........... :D:D

Seriously.... I like this. It is a simple and well executed composition. I like the juxtaposition between the old technology of the sundial and the modern "culture" of the over-developed beach in the background.

Perhaps we post a reminder at the close of each POTW.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This will be my first post in the Digital Photography forum.

This shot is through the windshield of my truck while trying to get a better feel for the controls in my camera. I'm really liking night photography so I'll probably outgrow this camera fairly quickly.

Welcome to our happy little group.

There is a lot of potential here but no focus. The exposure accurately shows the time of day but a lot is lost in the shadows. I think this needs to be cropped and adjusted for better lighting. I took some liberties. In both examples I cropped, adjusted the lighting, and darkened the highlights. My focus here is on the "culture" part of the theme. I did not play with it, but there is probably stuff you could do with the "lighting" theme, especially with the green cast under the Wal-Mart truck.

Attachments

• trucks-1.jpg
    trucks-1.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 58
  • trucks-2.jpg
    trucks-2.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 59

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This huge lump of rock dominates the area and the town that it sits over. I found out I'd be a father after my wife fell down a staircase - cut short the trip and the hospital visit led to the question "Before we X-ray you - is there any chance you are pregnant?". I quick scan later ...... and the rest is history.

Ummm....... Get pregnant by falling down some stairs. There are better ways. :D :rolleyes: I am glad she was okay and I know the baby was fine.

I like this place. My undergrad degree is in anthropology. I'm wondering a lot about the people that used to call this home.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
This is seriously old. I shot this in Sedona, Arizona in 1980 something while visiting my parents. I don't remember if I scanned the negative or did it on the flatbed at school.

These folks used ladders to climb to this place. They would pull them up to keep intruders out. It must have been effective.

arizonacliffdwelling2.jpg

Dale

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Ummm....... Get pregnant by falling down some stairs. There are better ways. :D :rolleyes: I am glad she was okay and I know the baby was fine.

I like this place. My undergrad degree is in anthropology. I'm wondering a lot about the people that used to call this home.

I've suggested getting her pregnant again but she wasn't impressed with my offer to push her down the stairs. :D

This was in Cappadocia in central Turkey. It's the sort of place you know when you've arrived. They have underground cities there that go down seven floors - it is really incredible. Uçhisar Hill and castle are the highest point in the region. Searching for mis-placed photos as we speak. I remember being inside a church there - which from the inside looked just like any other church I'd seen but without windows - it was carved out inside a lump of rock. I must go out that way again.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
poipet800-DSC_9841.jpg

Poipet, Cambodia on the new road to Siem Reap from the Thai border at Aranyaphrathet. These gas stations are a dying breed and will soon be replaced by modern gas stations from the big oil companies.

George Mann

Nikon Digital Photographer

What an incredible cultural story - these areas are a dying breed - all for the sake of progress.

I'd love to see more of the surrounding garage - the people - the culture. Have you got more?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
The Department of Biochemistry - University of Cambridge. Notable from a cultural point of view for a multitude of reasons. Fred Sanger is one of those reasons and one of only 4 people to have won the Noble prize twice (and the only one alive). The Sanger Institute (part of the human genome project) and Biochemistry's second building are named after him.

The most important thing about Fred is, he's a very nice chap.

4125243607_3991d961ef_b.jpg

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Exposure: Shooting into the sun late or early in the day is a challenge, so I'm not going to say much about the exposure. You probably recognize it as blown out in the highlights and soft in the shadows. That gives it a strong highlight but not much of a good black to balance it out. If you get a chance to reshoot this be sure to bracket several exposures.

Composition: This suffers from lack of strong verticals in the same was that my sundial photo does. Look carefully at vertical and horizontal lines in the viewfinder before you squeeze the shutter. Pick what's most dominate and line it up with the edge of the viewfinder. That takes care of the "Tilted Building" feel. Then look at all of the elements in the frame and decide what you really want to have in there. I found the slanted line in the parking lot distracting and felt the tree on the right took something away from the building/sunset that was what you were going for. You can do some of this in the camera, but cropping in Post can be handy. You have a better camera than I do, so I hope I'm not talking down to you...:eek:

My take on this.

Dale

Thanks Dale for the elaborate comment. Unfortunately I can't reshoot it. It was taken in Helsinki. It was taken on the eve of a hiking trip, a friend showed me around town.
(btw. better camera? Some people would call it outdated... I still like my 30D very much) Anyway, thanks again for the constructive criticism.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
Welcome to our happy little group.

There is a lot of potential here but no focus. The exposure accurately shows the time of day but a lot is lost in the shadows. I think this needs to be cropped and adjusted for better lighting. I took some liberties. In both examples I cropped, adjusted the lighting, and darkened the highlights. My focus here is on the "culture" part of the theme. I did not play with it, but there is probably stuff you could do with the "lighting" theme, especially with the green cast under the Wal-Mart truck.

Thanks,

The green light under the truck is a bit puzzling to me because there was no green light that location, it was white/yellow. This isn't the first picture I've taken where this has happened. There was a recessed can ceiling light at another location that was white but showed up green to the camera, yet the other lights at the location appeared normally. I don't know what causes this or how to fix it. :confused:

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Thanks,

The green light under the truck is a bit puzzling to me because there was no green light that location, it was white/yellow. This isn't the first picture I've taken where this has happened. There was a recessed can ceiling light at another location that was white but showed up green to the camera, yet the other lights at the location appeared normally. I don't know what causes this or how to fix it. :confused:

You are welcome. This is why we do this.

The green is not a mystery. The eye and brain can interpret many things in ways not possible photographically. Light is at the top of the list. Every type of light has its own color temperature and, therefore, its own color cast. Incandescent lights show up yellow/orange, florescent lights have a green cast, tungsten & halogen are very close to natural light. The light behind the truck was florescent. The light to the left was either halogen or tungsten. Correcting for various types of light is possible. Most cameras can do this but you may have to change some camera settings. The corrections can also be handled in post processing. This will be more labor intensive with this image because there are different types of light sources.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
The Department of Biochemistry - University of Cambridge. Notable from a cultural point of view for a multitude of reasons. Fred Sanger is one of those reasons and one of only 4 people to have won the Noble prize twice (and the only one alive). The Sanger Institute (part of the human genome project) and Biochemistry's second building are named after him.

A very interesting building on the outside and so important on the inside. This is a really good example of how strong an image can be simply because it is composed and executed properly. Having said that......... You shot this with a fairly wide lens. The distortion is minor but enough to be distracting. It's possible that many/most people would not see it, but I've got this visual/spacial thing. It makes my wife nuts.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
There is a Tibetan legend of Wisdom defeating Yama, the god of death. Chicago's Field Museum has a wooden sculpture commemorating this legend. This is part of the base.

Attachments

• base.jpg
    base.jpg
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 74

stownsend3

macrumors member
May 9, 2008
Don't have much to contribute on the culture side, but I thought this was a good example of lighting. Like LumbermanSVO, I'm new to this forum and have posted a few pictures around in the last few days.

Here was one of my first pictures I took, and it's from my rooftop in Midtown Manhattan. Overlooking the Lincoln Tunnel.

Attachments

• IMG_0072_4.jpg
    IMG_0072_4.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 65
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.