Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Marble plate with inlayed colored stones from India. Undated.

Attachments

• test-palte.jpg
    test-palte.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 84

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
These are the remainder of my photos from the Day of the Dead at the Tacoma Art Museum. You may have seen them in POTD.

The festival to celebrate the dead is more than 3,000 years old. The Spaniards were quite freaked at people being happy for the dead and did what they could to wipe the celebration out.
They are responsible for moving it to All Saint's Day, November 1 in an attempt to make it Christian.

More at the link following the pics.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dead/articles/dead-history.html

Dale

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
If you've ever been through the Navajo Nation then you know it is not a cheery place to be. The place is full of abandoned homes, cars and closed businesses. Every time I go through it is a great reminder to cherish what I have.

Yesterday as I went through I was thinking of this thread and taking pictures. I was on a very tight schedule so I had to settle for shooting while driving.

This is a recently closed business on US-64 between Shiprock and Farmington, just outside of the reservation.

Attachments

• IMG_2432.jpg
    IMG_2432.jpg
    729.5 KB · Views: 90

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
An unusual shot of the Senate House at Cambridge University from the roof of Kings College Chapel.

4143300257_9cfdc303f8_b.jpg

Lovely angle on a nice bit of photography.

Cambridge University is currently celebrating it's 800th anniversary. Yes, that means it was founded in 1209. That's old... It is home to the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics, of which Sir Isaac Newton was the second holder. The Chair is considered the highest position in academic math and physics. It has a mandatory retirement age and the current holder, Stephen Hawking, will leave the post vacant. There is an ad out for the job, but states "Cambridge University hasn't indicated yet whether it's seeking applicants for the open slot in mathematics". Charles Darwin attended a branch campus of Cambridge.

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I've been going through a lot of Dad's images. Just turned up these from a trip to SE Asia.

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 81
  • market-3.jpg
    market-3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • market-2.jpg
    market-2.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 78
  • market-1.jpg
    market-1.jpg
    947.9 KB · Views: 80

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Lovely angle on a nice bit of photography.

Cambridge University is currently celebrating it's 800th anniversary. Yes, that means it was founded in 1209. That's old... It is home to the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics, of which Sir Isaac Newton was the second holder. The Chair is considered the highest position in academic math and physics. It has a mandatory retirement age and the current holder, Stephen Hawking, will leave the post vacant. There is an ad out for the job, but states "Cambridge University hasn't indicated yet whether it's seeking applicants for the open slot in mathematics". Charles Darwin attended a branch campus of Cambridge.

Dale

Stephen Hawking once ran over my big toe as he was popping into Mark & Spencer (clothes and food) to buy a sandwich. Before I'd had a chance to ask him about gravity or turtles - he was gone. He never stopped (even to say sorry for amputating your toes) as answers took a long time.

In the computer section they have a whole room dedicated to just Mac's - there's row after row of them.

Bill Gates basically paid for the new computer labs (well 50%) its called - wait for it...... "The William Gates Building" named after his father.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Just a snap - my son was days away from walking for the first time - this was outside the Wren Library (Trinity College Cambridge) that houses many of Newton's papers on Gravity. Sadly gravity was working against my son that day.

4146539806_a5994fe477_o.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
The quality of this one is a bit rubbish (OK - its really rubbish) but it shows the entrance to the tomb of King Midas - slightly older than my Cambridge shots.

4146563504_b780dee5a2_b.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
If you've ever been through the Navajo Nation then you know it is not a cheery place to be. The place is full of abandoned homes, cars and closed businesses. Every time I go through it is a great reminder to cherish what I have.

Yesterday as I went through I was thinking of this thread and taking pictures. I was on a very tight schedule so I had to settle for shooting while driving.

This is a recently closed business on US-64 between Shiprock and Farmington, just outside of the reservation.

Hi. Your photo over in the new contest is very good. I like the effect of the exhaust from the rig closest to the camera. It underscores that it is early and cold. Nice photo.

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Praying at the Duomo in Milan.

I loved this image when you posted it for POTW in August and I like it even more now. It captures the moment so beautifully. When that contest closed I struggled for better than 20 minutes trying to choose between you and the other image.

platypus63

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Zanzibar Land
grand bazaar

Picture of lamps sold at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, one of the oldest and biggest markets in the world. Unfortunately I don't have any contest worthy pictures of the bazaar itself.

Picture shot w/ old point and shoot that has no stabilization and with no flash on to try to get colors, hence the semi blurry image.

Attachments

• grandbazaarlights.jpg
    grandbazaarlights.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 73

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
I loved this image when you posted it for POTW in August and I like it even more now. It captures the moment so beautifully. When that contest closed I struggled for better than 20 minutes trying to choose between you and the other image.

Thanks! I thought it fit the description well for this challenge....so I thought I would repost. I'm very proud of this one!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Picture of lamps sold at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, one of the oldest and biggest markets in the world. Unfortunately I don't have any contest worthy pictures of the bazaar itself.

Picture shot w/ old point and shoot that has no stabilization and with no flash on to try to get colors, hence the semi blurry image.

There's a lot of culture in İstanbul. I've been a few times but never seem to have a camera.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
Along US-89 near the Grand Canyon the natives have built these cobbled together stands where they sell their goods to tourists, at night they serve as a place to park for truck drivers. Tonight the moon was nearly full, the sky was clear and I had time to stop, so I did.

Clickable

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Dia de Muertos

A Mexican Celebration to Remember Our Departed @ Seattle Center

These are the Zoot Suits of the Bailadores de Bronceas or as I like to call them The Swinging Dead

Nikon D50 with either my Nikkor 28mm f/2 ai or 50mm f/1.4 ais
No Metering, Manual Focus

Attachments

• DSC_0224.jpg
    DSC_0224.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0243a.jpg
    DSC_0243a.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 87

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I like this place. My undergrad degree is in anthropology. I'm wondering a lot about the people that used to call this home.
I forgot to answer this before but you don't need to wonder how they used to live - they are still living there - not on the big rock in my photo but in cave houses etc all over Cappadocia. I would recommend a trip there just because of this. An incredible place.

This is the end cap of a Han Dynasty roof tile. This tile would have been part of the lowest course of tiles with the disk protecting the eaves. The four characters read "long life without end."

This is not the real color of the artifact which is really a very drab grey clay. It looks better with this warmer tone.

I know this is not a competition -and there are some great photos on here but this one I really love - its simple (has a little tweaking) but it's cultural and doesn't need any explaining.

Bruce - can I use this as my desktop?

Attachments

• tile 2.jpg
    tile 2.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 72

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I know this is not a competition -and there are some great photos on here but this one I really love - its simple (has a little tweaking) but it's cultural and doesn't need any explaining.

Bruce - can I use this as my desktop?

Simon, thank you very much. We all like to be recognized but there is nothing like an honor from a friend. I sent a copy of the original file to your googlemail address.

Bruce

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.