Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
i promise i was not creeping outside someone's house.

This is good. I do agree with Chapper's suggestions. I hvae this strong sense that there is something lurking in the shadow to the right.

Walt Disney World
Magic Kingdom
Haunted Mansion

A lot of potential here. The color doesn't work for me. Perhaps sepia instead of that red cast. There are a lot of distractions in the background. Perhaps if you cropped it down to draw the focus to a particular element.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Tongue it is. I just cropped this and made a negative image. This is the youngest kid - the one that hates to have his picture taken.

I think it would be fun to have a challenge that is something like "deception" in which we have to figure out what the subject of image is. If we did this, there would be a lot of PP going on. Sorry Chappers. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I confess that when you named the photo "tongue" it sort of gave the game away. I like the idea of "deception" - maybe trying to avoid PP and tripods and pumpkins :D

Definitely. I'm getting a Sherlock Holmes movie kind of feel. Well done.
Thanks - its all to easy to take photos of historical buildings in Cambridge and forget the other stuff.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I again would tweak a photo - straighten, adjust hightlights and saturation a little. Nice and eerie me thinks. You may not want to adjust the highlights as much as I have - but I'm just showing there is a bit more there. :)

deep diver said:
A lot of potential here. The color doesn't work for me. Perhaps sepia instead of that red cast. There are a lot of distractions in the background. Perhaps if you cropped it down to draw the focus to a particular element.

All great points. I just took an old slide and scanned it w/o any corrections. I know it wasn't taken during the thread time period but I thought it was just as Eerie :)

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
All great points. I just took an old slide and scanned it w/o any corrections. I know it wasn't taken during the thread time period but I thought it was just as Eerie :)
There is no golden rule on when you took the photo so don't worry.

I took this last year I think - I live on a mountain were in summer it can be 45C (113F) and in winter -30C (-22F) and freezing fog dominates for at least a month.
Hopefully this looks eerie.

3122956280_0de66cb981_b.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

The point behind a C&C forum is to share and learn. Try working with that image and repost it.

BTW: What's a slide? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I confess that when you named the photo "tongue" it sort of gave the game away. I like the idea of "deception" - maybe trying to avoid PP and tripods and pumpkins :D

I guess I will have to be deceptive when it comes to naming the images.

I will give up PP & tripods. I'm not so sure I can live without pumpkins. :D

I took this last year I think - I live on a mountain were in summer it can be 45C (113F) and in winter -30C (-22F) and freezing fog dominates for at least a month. Hopefully this looks eerie.

I'd love to visit your part of the world and see some of this in person.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This is another of those "through the glass" aquarium shots. I cropped it and sharpened it a little, but did not do anything else. I guess I should have used manual focus, but only hindsight is 20/20. Stupidity always dominates in the moment. :rolleyes::D

Attachments

• Octo-1-1000.jpg
    Octo-1-1000.jpg
    859 KB · Views: 73

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I'm not so sure I can live without pumpkins. :D
Just say no! :D
I'd love to visit your part of the world and see some of this in person.
I would happy for you to visit.
This is another of those "through the glass" aquarium shots. I cropped it and sharpened it a little, but did not do anything else. I guess I should have used manual focus, but only hindsight is 20/20. Stupidity always dominates in the moment. :rolleyes::D
Very true - but this brings back memories if TV shows films where something is lurking under a rock and you're not sure what.... creepy.

JohnMC -- You started this forum but we hardly ever see your work. What's that about? Post something.
John we miss you

Posted this one in the POTD thread the other day.
Cracking photo

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
An eerie effect with available light and a rocky mountainside.

I like the colors and the effect. I think I would have spent the time to take out the wires and signs. I like nature to be nature without the intrusions of the "civilized" world.

At first quick glance, I thought the picture was of a mineral called wulfenite. The colors and texture are the same. In the left hand image the wulfenite is imbedded in calcite.

Attachments

• Wulfenite 8x10.jpg
    Wulfenite 8x10.jpg
    760.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Wulfenite (New Mexico)-a01.JPG
    Wulfenite (New Mexico)-a01.JPG
    850.5 KB · Views: 68

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
At first quick glance, I thought the picture was of a mineral called wulfenite. The colors and texture are the same. In the left hand image the wulfenite is imbedded in calcite.
At first glance I thought you were trying to slip in some pumpkin:D
Very nice shots - I love your mineral shots . I'd darken the shot on the right and then it looks scary.

Doylem says it's eerie/scary...

Dale

Maxxamilian would be proud of you.

Where is he these days?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I took this at dawn hopefully it looks eerie . I had to walk for about 20-30 mins down Mt. Chappers. The mushroom on the left is the observation tower that I look down on.
3996772663_fa30c54d6a_b.jpg

The panorama below is from that tower looking down at the rest of the city on the left.
4032214548_263b18a515_b.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
His last post was September 23. Not really that long ago except that most of us can't keep off this for an hour, let alone a month.
Dale
He seems to come on each day but not posting. I forgot to add that yours is a great photo - and very scary in an alien sort of way. Mentioned Maxx as it reminded me of him. I think this is the eeriest picture on here an as its not of something that we would normally think of scary (unless you happen to have a phobia to peppers) then I think it scores double points

I think you should put this in the weekly contest.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Very nice shots - I love your mineral shots . I'd darken the shot on the right and then it looks scary.

Funny you should mention that. I actually lightened the image to show the similarity of the colors. Here is the real image without any PP.

At first glance I thought you were trying to slip in some pumpkin:D

I was thinking about pumpkin pie earlier that day. Does that count????????

Doylem says it's eerie/scary... Dale

I like the play between the red and green. I'm not sure about the vignetting on the right. I am not a huge fan of traditional still life images. I had exactly the same feelings about Maxx' peppers.

Attachments

• Wulfenite (New Mexico).JPG
    Wulfenite (New Mexico).JPG
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 66

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
His last post was September 23. Not really that long ago except that most of us can't keep off this for an hour, let alone a month.

Dale

I start to go into withdrawal if I stay away for more that 30 minutes. By the time an hour comes around I am ready for hospitalization. :D:D:D
The scary/eerie thing about that is that I'm an addictions therapist. OOPS.

BTW: How can you see when someone has logged on?

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
I gotta agree deep diver. I didn't expect the signs to show up that well. Here is another (cropped a little to remove the cable lines), but the sky didn't look as good.

Attachments

• _7002412.jpg
    _7002412.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 60

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I gotta agree deep diver. I didn't expect the signs to show up that well. Here is another (cropped a little to remove the cable lines), but the sky didn't look as good.

I was thinking more like this. Your original framing and composition were great. I preserved that and just took out the "foreign matter" using PhotoShop Elements. It took me about 10 minutes to do this. Given 20 minutes it could look a lot cleaner.

Attachments

• ck-2.jpg
    ck-2.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 56

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Funny you should mention that. I actually lightened the image to show the similarity of the colors. Here is the real image without any PP.
I'd have gone darker still, only to make it more eerie. I really love your mineral shots so normally I wouldn't do much to them if anything. I've added super dark image below somewhere.

BTW: How can you see when someone has logged on?
If you go to their profile page it tells you when they were last on - If they are logged on it will tell you what they are looking at.

I was thinking about pumpkin pie earlier that day. Does that count????????
Pumpkins, leeks, turnips are a few of the things that we should be protected from. Get help now before its too late.

I like how this one is developing.

Dale - I like the rotated version you posted on photo of the day - not sure which one is more scary though.

Attachments

• Wulfenite (New Mexico)-a01.JPG
    Wulfenite (New Mexico)-a01.JPG
    337.9 KB · Views: 63
  • pepper rotate.jpg
    pepper rotate.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 55

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Hopefully this Parisian cemetery is eerie. We ere all off to see the Sacre Coeur and I noticed this on a cold grey day. It was very small and cramped. So I took a photo...... end of interesting story :eek:
4039384637_33f65abb99_b.jpg

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Nice cemetery Chappers.

Thanks for the edited version diver. I haven't had a chance to really play around with editing it yet and your version is inspiring me to do so.

Dale, I prefer the rotated version. It kinda has an alien face look. Either way though, nice image.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Nice cemetery Chappers.

Thanks for the edited version diver. I haven't had a chance to really play around with editing it yet and your version is inspiring me to do so.

Dale, I prefer the rotated version. It kinda has an alien face look. Either way though, nice image.

Thanks. I wanted to alter the POTD image a bit in case the system deleted photos posted in multiple forums on the same day. I'll go back and edit it back to the original. No lens tricks. Long exposure and little light.

Dale

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
JohnMC -- You started this forum but we hardly ever see your work. What's that about? Post something.

Okay, Okay!

I ended up needing to take both Physics II and Chemistry I this semester at college so I have not had the time I wanted to get out and shoot. Never the less, I forced myself to go out last night and try some stuff. It may not seem eerie to some, but the wind was whistling through the trees and it was well after dark.

Trails above the Window
4053525663_504ea23d04.jpg

BTW, I really like how everyone has worked to make this an exciting thread. I may not always be posting in it but I always read through when I'm on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.