Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Taken near the treeline at Mt. Rainier. Any suggestions on how to meter something like this to keep the detail is the highlights? I used Partial Metering on my Canon xsi. I'm still getting used to this.
Dale

I don't know, but an idea...... what would happen if you metered this for the tree trunk only? That should leave detail in the trunk without sacrificing the background highlights. I think I would also bracket this one to cover my bases.

Chappers -- Cheetos and fungus infested citrus are equally gross.

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
Webbed

Visiting my parents home in the country, I went outside to my care to drive home. It's very dark there at night - and this web was directly outside the gate. It spanned approx. 6 ft. I nearly walked right into the center of the web, when I saw the reflection of light hit the strands in the web. The spider was inches in front of my face. UGH! I gently backed up, and took my camera out of my bag. I did not have the light on for the camera to be able to process information with. The white balance/overexposure/unique lighting made for some fun pictures.

Attachments

• _DSC0379.jpg
    _DSC0379.jpg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 80
  • _DSC0348.jpg
    _DSC0348.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
pigbat - I like this - looks alien makes me want to visit the beach.

deep diver - scary woods - very scary - it is very clever.

mikshayne - Spiders - gotta love them. Makes me want to post my "crab spider killing a bee photo" again.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Might not be as eldritch as I have wanted it to be (my lighting is still very bad), but I find it fits the theme...

3972514130_23c927f5ac_b.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Very cool!

Not for the bee :(

I used the flash on this pair, without it I couldn't capture the iridescent blue and honestly two black blobs mating didn't make an interesting photo.

I didn't know they did it like that - weird

Attachments

• Naughty.jpg
    Naughty.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 82

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
mikshayne -- very cool images. I think that if you had presented these as positive images they would be "just another spider" shot. Presenting these as negative images does something really good. Well done.

Chappers -- I have seen the one image a couple of times and I continue to like it. The other is, I think, a much better image for this theme. You shot this at a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the wings. The bee looks like it is mysteriously hovering by the flower. It is an attention getter.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
The bee was very dead (or paralysed) by the time I took any photos (shutter speed 1/180).
That's why I noticed it really - it was not moving and sticking out very oddly.

This egg amused my when I bought it from my local shop and I liked the way the sun shone through it - hope it fits the theme, for at least looking very strange.

Attachments

• eggc+ shadow copy.jpg
    eggc+ shadow copy.jpg
    963.3 KB · Views: 88

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This is another Shedd Aquarium specimen. It was shot through thick glass and was kinda far from the glass. The original is almost all blue-green. I did the best I could here trying to bring out the natural colors of the crab without making it look too processed. What is really creepy is the person in the crab. The face is between the crab's eyes and the body wearing a coat is below the face.

Attachments

• * Crab-1000.jpg
    * Crab-1000.jpg
    837.2 KB · Views: 62

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
This is an infrared photo, which (obviously) means that the light captured was outside of the visible light spectrum.
Its a nice photo but only looks like a B/W pic to me. With the ability to take photos in the dark - I'd like to see something I wouldn't normally see.

This is another Shedd Aquarium specimen. It was shot through thick glass and was kinda far from the glass. The original is almost all blue-green. I did the best I could here trying to bring out the natural colors of the crab without making it look too processed. What is really creepy is the person in the crab. The face is between the crab's eyes and the body wearing a coat is below the face.
Really tough though the glass like that and lots of water. But I love the look, the crop and the colours - I think its time for you to get an aqualung;)

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
Very cool!

vaderhater245

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
first time posting here in the photo forum...

Not exactly in the time frame but i felt it adds a bit of creepiness to the mix.

Attachments

• Walking_Home_by_vaderhater245.jpg
    Walking_Home_by_vaderhater245.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 78

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
Its a nice photo but only looks like a B/W pic to me. With the ability to take photos in the dark - I'd like to see something I wouldn't normally see.

Actually, that's not true, I can't take pictures in the dark. Infrared photography will only capture reflected infrared light, just like visible light photography. There has to be a source of infrared light, which is usually the sun. IR photos can't capture the heat given off by animals, that's a different part of the spectrum, IR photography is actually just near infrared.

Infrared photos are usually black and white because they are made that way in post processing, the red channel is always saturated so the image is heavily red tinted.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Actually, that's not true, I can't take pictures in the dark. Infrared photography will only capture reflected infrared light, just like visible light photography. There has to be a source of infrared light, which is usually the sun. IR photos can't capture the heat given off by animals, that's a different part of the spectrum, IR photography is actually just near infrared.

Infrared photos are usually black and white because they are made that way in post processing, the red channel is always saturated so the image is heavily red tinted.

OK that will teach me to jump to conclusions, I had visions of spy like cameras - so when you spoke of infrared photography - I, in ignorance thought of James Bond etc. Apologies.
Having made the effort to read up a bit (something I should have done before) - I can see that this is far more than a B/W photo and deserves more attention. From what I've read your picture looks like a good example of IR work. Will you do more - how did you do it?

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Patriks7 - that is well done but very spooky.

Thanks :D It was the look I was going for after all. I tried different positions, when I made her sit or stand, but I think this one came out the best (for this topic at least).

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Might not be as eldritch as I have wanted it to be (my lighting is still very bad), but I find it fits the theme...

You could probably give this even more impact with some post-processing, but it's a compelling shot as it is. Looks like an image of a young Ophelia. The pattern on the duvet helps a lot to emphasize the transparency. Great shot.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
OK that will teach me to jump to conclusions, I had visions of spy like cameras - so when you spoke of infrared photography - I, in ignorance thought of James Bond etc. Apologies.
Having made the effort to read up a bit (something I should have done before) - I can see that this is far more than a B/W photo and deserves more attention. From what I've read your picture looks like a good example of IR work. Will you do more - how did you do it?

It's fine, when I first heard of IR photography I thought the same thing: "Ooh… I can take super secret spy pictures. Sweet!" But, it's not quite that. What it is is an cool way to capture what we normally can't see.
I will do more, I just need a new filter. And as for the how all you need is a digital camera and an IR filter (one that blocks visible light). You screw it on in front of your lens and your camera now can only see IR. Because digital sensors can see near UV all the way to near IR you can use filters to restrict what light the sensor gets.

This is a great site for learning about it: http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/
There are sample photos, filters, details on what IR photos can do and can't.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
And you succeeded - still damn scary. Still love it.

I will do more, I just need a new filter. And as for the how all you need is a digital camera and an IR filter (one that blocks visible light). You screw it on in front of your lens and your camera now can only see IR. Because digital sensors can see near UV all the way to near IR you can use filters to restrict what light the sensor gets.

This is a great site for learning about it: http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/
There are sample photos, filters, details on what IR photos can do and can't.

Thanks for the info - you've got me tempted now.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
You could probably give this even more impact with some post-processing, but it's a compelling shot as it is. Looks like an image of a young Ophelia. The pattern on the duvet helps a lot to emphasize the transparency. Great shot.

Thanks. Any suggestions I should try to give it more impact? I'm haven't gotten the hang of post-processing yet :p

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks. Any suggestions I should try to give it more impact? I'm haven't gotten the hang of post-processing yet :p

Mostly just levels and color balance. And if you want to keep the sepia-tone look, then just fix the levels. I took a quick stab at tweaking the levels and color in one image and just the levels in another (both attached), but you could get much better results by starting over with the raw image (if you shot it in raw).

Attachments

• 3972514130_23c927f5ac_b.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 3972514130_23c927f5ac_b copy.jpg
    3972514130_23c927f5ac_b copy.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 3972514130_23c927f5ac_b copy2.jpg
    3972514130_23c927f5ac_b copy2.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 66
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.