Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Really tough though the glass like that and lots of water. But I love the look, the crop and the colours - I think its time for you to get an aqualung;)

That is what "deep diver" refers to. Alas, I had to give up diving many years ago after I developed bad allergies to dust and some other environmental allergens. I do miss it, but thank you for the suggestion. :(

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
That is what "deep diver" refers to. Alas, I had to give up diving many years ago after I developed bad allergies to dust and some other environmental allergens. I do miss it, but thank you for the suggestion. :(

I'm certainly putting m foot in it, in this thread .

Must engage brain and mouth at same time.

I'll put it down to eye injury and old age

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Mostly just levels and color balance. And if you want to keep the sepia-tone look, then just fix the levels. I took a quick stab at tweaking the levels and color in one image and just the levels in another (both attached), but you could get much better results by starting over with the raw image (if you shot it in raw).

Wow, that sure did make a difference! When I get some time I'll mess around with the original file again.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I'm certainly putting m foot in it, in this thread.

Must engage brain and mouth at same time.

I'll put it down to eye injury and old age

Don't worry about it. Memory is a good thing, but I do believe I'm older than you.

syedrizvi21 -- you have a good concept here but I think the area of interest is not the area of focus. The nearer candle is too exposed and is just blown the way that it is. The focus on that branch of the candelabra does not work for me (although others might disagree). I think the colors in the far branch are very warm and engaging. It is hard for me to see if this is a two branch or a three branch candelabra. I would re-compose this, and adjust the focus and exposure. Please explain the connection to the theme.

agtr36

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2007
first time posting - i just bought my first dslr this summer, its been great. I really like your shot Patriks I tried that and it didnt come out as nice as yours... any c&c would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 70

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
first time posting - i just bought my first dslr this summer, its been great. I really like your shot Patriks I tried that and it didnt come out as nice as yours... any c&c would be appreciated

Very interesting effect, I almost missed it. This is a nice composition and the elements are placed well in the frame. When working with subjects and background that have strong vertical lines, try to frame or crop so that the vertical nearest to the edge of the frame is as parallel to the frame edge as possible. Again, very good work and welcome.

Dale

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 70

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Very interesting effect, I almost missed it. This is a nice composition and the elements are placed well in the frame. When working with subjects and background that have strong vertical lines, try to frame or crop so that the vertical nearest to the edge of the frame is as parallel to the frame edge as possible. Again, very good work and welcome.

Dale

agtr36 -- I agree with Dale. In addition, I think you have to make the child less transparent. Also, it looks like he might out of focus or there is motion blur. See what you can do and repost it.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
deep diver - nice dragon - on a side note a friends fathers name was Dragon and looked a little like your photo after he had and a few glasses of fine brandy. Pointless trivia but nice photo - how big are these things?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Here's mine....the centre of a tulip

Love tulips and love this photo - it certainly looks quite alien. Lovely colours too. Overall a winner in my book - even though this isn't a competition.

Would have loved to see a larger version.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Pretty grim weather we're having round my way this week and the little guy below was wandering around one of my plant pots....he's pretty weird although apparently turns into a rather disappointing moth.

Attachments

• Sky-2.jpg
    Sky-2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Caterpillar.jpg
    Caterpillar.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 92

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
venusian -- this is one of the best images I've seen on this forum or Photo of the Week. It is just beautiful.

MacRy -- The weather shot is very good. I get this sense of a very ominous moment. The caterpillar is very cool looking and I like the simple composition. I like images that are cropped as tightly as is reasonable to do. There is too much empty space on the left. I would crop out some of the left side and just a little of the bottom.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
deep diver - nice dragon - on a side note a friends fathers name was Dragon and looked a little like your photo after he had and a few glasses of fine brandy. Pointless trivia but nice photo - how big are these things?

No trivia is pointless. Maybe you should post a picture of that guy. :D:D:D

These lizards can grow to 2' for a female and 3' for a male. I do not remember just how big this one was but it was probably 12-18". (Big aquarium size)

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Here's my last one for this topic. These are Golden Dart Frogs. They are small - thumb size. They are also the most poisonous of all frogs. Cute, but....... When I first saw these I thought they were plastic but then realized that a major aquarium (The Shedd in Chicago) was not going to have plastic frogs on display. Notice how the top and middle frogs are mirror images. The "haze" is actually reflection off the glass. Because it looks a lot like haze or fog, I think it adds a rain forest kind of feel.

Attachments

• * Golden Dart Frog-1 8x10.JPG
    * Golden Dart Frog-1 8x10.JPG
    857.6 KB · Views: 63

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Bethlehem Steel Factory

Very strange looking - I've got one like that hidden away north from me. I must photo graph it one day and hope it turns out as nicely as this. I think the picture needs straightening and I would probably increase darkening on the highlights but nice shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.