Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Framework announced a 16" laptop

Looks very nice, no details, but its nice to them fill out the product line with a larger model.

Reactions: Queen6

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I owned a DIY Framework. Love the concept, and wanted to show my support. Their customer service and overall attitude and approach is great.

I ended up selling it because I simply don't use a Windows laptop often enough to keep a second one beyond my Surface Go 2.

If their products meet your computing needs, I can recommend it.. they do deliver what they pitch.

Reactions: ghanwani

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm actually intrigued by this. Using it docked with GPU, and removing the GPU model when I don't need it (less heat/noise). I really hope that they offer some nice keyboards as well. That would seal the deal for me :)

subzento

Suspended
Mar 24, 2023
Salt Lake City
Looks pretty good, but I would rather buy something after comparing pros and cons, so I'll wait for the review to see if I miss out. I wonder if it's heavy.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
I’ve been rather tempted to pick up a DIY edition to replace the Razer Book 13 I let go the other month.
I’ve been switching back and forth between a Lenovo 11 inch and an MSI 15.6 gaming laptop, both with Manjaro but neither suits my daily usage as well as the size of the Razer did

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Framework announced a 16" laptop

Looks very nice, no details, but its nice to them fill out the product line with a larger model.
Grrr, you made me get my credit card out. :)

I really, really, really like to have easily swapable components like the connectors, RAM, and SSD. If it doesn't fit what you want, you don't have to buy a whole new machine. It looks like even the main board is swapable, but I'm not sure I want to do that much, but we'll see.

I pre-ordered a 13", Ryzen 7, 32G RAM, 2TB SSD, 2 USB-C, 2 USB-A, ethernet and HDMI. The 16 would be too big for me, and I like the 13" weight, it's within the ultralight category, which surprised me. Wont be here for awhile, but that's okay.

Reactions: kazmac and TSE
Apr 12, 2023
I can't do it because of no SD card slot option. I use them constantly with my imaging equipment. My dell 14 inch 2 in 1 has all the ports I need and use, at a great size and it's powerful enough for what I am doing on the road. When I get home, I can sit at my workstation and do the heavy lifting.

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Well, the point of their open module specs is to be able to solve unsolved problems fast. Look here, e.g.:

There is no "no" no more, so to speak. Support them, they are worth it and a necessity for dragging the industry into sustainable design.

Eason85

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong
I am very excited for the future of framework and their impact on the market. I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics of the 16" laptop, but I am hoping it will become a bit more streamlined and sleek as time goes on.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I love my 15" Razer, its been a fantastic laptop. I do like what Framework brings to the table both in its philosophy and its design.
Meanwhile the 2018 Razer Blade Stealth I bought for my gf has been absolute misery as a computer. It has required a battery replacement in less than two years, then its power adapter broke and of course it was expensive to replace as a proprietary part. Now it looks like the battery might be going again and I'm not willing to pour a single penny into that machine anymore. I refuse to buy Razer anything now.

I'm really interested in Framework but they don't sell in my country. While I don't feel the modularity of it is that big a factor for me, it looks like a solid product overall.

Reactions: Wheel_D and Eason85

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Meanwhile the 2018 Razer Blade Stealth I bought for my gf has been absolute misery as a computer
That's a bummer, my 2019 Razer has been rock solid (knocks on wood). Its been a great, fast computer - battery life is not great, and being an older battery, its feeling its age.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
That's a bummer, my 2019 Razer has been rock solid (knocks on wood). Its been a great, fast computer - battery life is not great, and being an older battery, its feeling its age.
I advice monitoring how clicking the trackpad feels. If the battery starts bulging, the trackpad becomes stiff until it becomes almost unusable.

When it works its fine but it has had too many problems and Razer's support offered pretty ****** options requiring me to ship it to another country rather than getting just a battery replacement shipped to me that I could have easily installed myself. The unit is at least quite repairable, I just wish I didn't have to.

It's easily one of the most disappointing tech purchases I've made.

Reactions: Eason85 and maflynn

Eason85

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong
Meanwhile the 2018 Razer Blade Stealth I bought for my gf has been absolute misery as a computer. It has required a battery replacement in less than two years, then its power adapter broke and of course it was expensive to replace as a proprietary part. Now it looks like the battery might be going again and I'm not willing to pour a single penny into that machine anymore. I refuse to buy Razer anything now.

I'm really interested in Framework but they don't sell in my country. While I don't feel the modularity of it is that big a factor for me, it looks like a solid product overall.
Back when I was still writing for notebook check, I covered a rash of issues with Razer power adapters fraying and catching fire at the joints. I found over a dozen reports of it, and razer went out of their way to pretend it wasn't an issue. No computer is worth risking a fire for, especially if you have pets or young children.

Apr 12, 2023
Back when I was still writing for notebook check, I covered a rash of issues with Razer power adapters fraying and catching fire at the joints. I found over a dozen reports of it, and razer went out of their way to pretend it wasn't an issue. No computer is worth risking a fire for, especially if you have pets or young children.
Not just razer pretending that issues are "not issues". Every brand does that no matter what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.