Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
appart from their design, I love it all - easily reparable to at times even upgradable, modular keyboard and so much more.

Haven't bought one, because I dislike the silver wedge look (not just on Framework Laptops to be honest) and my current mobile work device still does it's job.

• Looking forward to see reviews of the Framework model with the dockable gaming GPU extension.
  • Framework (or the Surface Go 4 ARM) could be my current on the go device replacement in late 2024/early 2025 - basically once the Qualcom Nuvia ARM chips are released or if Intel/AMD can offer similiar performance/battery life.

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
If I need a new Linux Box, it'll probably be a Framework. It harkens back to the old days of the golden era Thinkpads that allowed you to upgrade the CPU.

Unfortunately I have no use for one since I moved to Mac, and anything Linux related I have my old MSI laptop I used for college for that, and my Steam Deck. Even then that MSI laptop exists solely for homelab virtual machines.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Super intriguing product, almost as if from an alternate timeline where computer manufacturers didn't see the need to employ planned obsolescence tactics / lock everything down, and computers stayed expandable / hobbiest-focused as they were in the early days.

As much as I love the Mac platform this could be my next laptop, I'm just disappointed that the 16" is only 2560x1600, that's pretty poor and not what I'd consider true Retina for this size of screen (I'm not a gamer who cares about above 120 Hz refresh on a laptop screen). Maybe more panel options are coming in the future and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade my laptop yet.

I really like the no OS option for not having to pay for a Windows license I never use...

Reactions: MRMSFC

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Super intriguing product, almost as if from an alternate timeline where computer manufacturers didn't see the need to employ planned obsolescence tactics / lock everything down, and computers stayed expandable / hobbiest-focused as they were in the early days.

As much as I love the Mac platform this could be my next laptop, I'm just disappointed that the 16" is only 2560x1600, that's pretty poor and not what I'd consider true Retina for this size of screen (I'm not a gamer who cares about above 120 Hz refresh on a laptop screen). Maybe more panel options are coming in the future and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade my laptop yet.

I really like the no OS option for not having to pay for a Windows license I never use...
Retina doesn't really excite me, but an OLED option would. But it wont stop me from buying a 13" AMD...

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Retina doesn't really excite me, but an OLED option would. But it wont stop me from buying a 13" AMD...
Retina doesn’t excite me either, it’s the bare minimum and has been for years. I had a laptop with a Retina screen a full decade ago and it excited me then, along with SSD storage instead of HDD…

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Retina doesn’t excite me either, it’s the bare minimum and has been for years. I had a laptop with a Retina screen a full decade ago and it excited me then, along with SSD storage instead of HDD…
I can understand that, but I don't need it for what I do, even HD would do me though 2K would be better. I like color and contrast though... For a laptop that is!

For my desktop, I do rather like my 5K iMac's screen. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm just disappointed that the 16" is only 2560x1600
I'm thinking that due to being a startup, and trying to keep costs low, they opted for a decent display panel that would be fairly good for most people, and not horribly expensive. I think a lot of the costs behind the framework is the engineering costs, so picking high a higher resolution display could have pushed the price beyond what they believe people would spend

(I'm not a gamer who cares about above 120 Hz refresh on a laptop screen)
I agree with you, I don't notice the faster refresh rate of my Razer and MBP, yet if you do a search on promotion, you see a lot of folks crowing about it. I think even for non-gamers its a thing. I also think its one of those features in 2023, that the company would be criticized if they didn't have a faster refresh rate on the display even if most people probably wouldn't notice.

Maybe more panel options are coming in the future
They seem to add on features and options as time goes on, so that could be something in the near future.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I wish they offered a 14" or a 14.5" as a 13" is to small for me and a 16" is to large.. If they'd offer a 14" or slightly larger then I'd buy one instantly...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
You can now preorder the 16" model.

Batches 1 and 2 have already sold out and batch 3 is available which is Q4 of this year (as of writing this post). Its not as expensive as I thought it would be. I configured one out and it hit the 2k mark. Pretty decent all things being equal. I'm not going to buy one yet for a number of reasons but its good to see that its available.

Also The Verge has a hands on with it
Framework Laptop 16: our exclusive hands-on

Reactions: MiniApple

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Dangit, you're getting me too excited about getting my Framework AMD in, when I don't know yet when it will come. :)
I canceled my AMD Framework laptop. :( Still not here and they have some interesting problems tey've had to work on with an AMD chipset. I may order an intel eventually, but I just don't need a new machine right now.

I still like the idea, but they took to long to start shipping.

Reactions: Cape Dave

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
It's mainly power management problems on half the port slots. (The rearmost 2 ports) It seems like a really odd way to do things and I think it's all AMD's weirdness.

But it's really a case that I don't need a new machine right now more than anything. Heck, I didn't even get a new iPhone this year. I did update to a flip5 on my other phone, but there was big changes there. And I did order a new Apple Watch Ultra 2, but that's a big upgrade over my S6. Maybe I'm a little bored right now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I've largely ignored the framework laptop, and in fact most laptops simply because I'm no longer in the market for one. My daughter will be heading to college, and my focus and money is dedicated to that goal. I can live with what I currently have.

Anyways I see in Ars a review has landed, and there's more disappointing aspects to the 16" model then I was expecting.

Review: Framework’s Laptop 16 is unique, laudable, fascinating, and flawed
To summarize, because this laptop is using AMD, there seems to be limitations with regard to port/module selections. Battery life seems to be underwhelming, its not a quiet laptop (particularly when you opt for the higher end GPU) and then there's the price, its on the higher end of things

The good​

• A modular, upgradeable take on the Framework Laptop 13 with better performance and more ports.
  • Great high-refresh rate display with a glare-free matte finish.
  • Customizable keyboard area is both practical and inventive.
  • Solid CPU performance from 8-core AMD Ryzen 7000-series chips.
  • Dedicated Radeon RX 7700S GPU is good enough to play most of what you throw at it.
  • Well-documented disassembly and repair instructions.

The bad​

• Relatively expensive for what you're getting.
  • On the larger and heavier end of the 15-to-16-inch laptop spectrum.
  • GPU module adds a lot of size and weight.
  • Upgradeability currently more of a hypothetical future benefit, though Framework does have an established track record now.

The ugly​

• Weird, fussy port limitations partially spoil one of the Laptop 13's biggest selling points.

Reactions: redheeler

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I've largely ignored the framework laptop, and in fact most laptops simply because I'm no longer in the market for one. My daughter will be heading to college, and my focus and money is dedicated to that goal. I can live with what I currently have.

Anyways I see in Ars a review has landed, and there's more disappointing aspects to the 16" model then I was expecting.

Review: Framework’s Laptop 16 is unique, laudable, fascinating, and flawed
To summarize, because this laptop is using AMD, there seems to be limitations with regard to port/module selections. Battery life seems to be underwhelming, its not a quiet laptop (particularly when you opt for the higher end GPU) and then there's the price, its on the higher end of things
Framework delivered a bulky gaming laptop instead of what I would’ve liked to see - simply a larger version of the 13” with higher-res screen!

I can also live with my 16” Intel MBP for now. In fact this Framework doesn’t sound like much of an upgrade compared to if I just installed Linux on the MBP (I will do so after MacOS stops supporting Intel).

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Framework delivered a bulky gaming laptop instead of what I would’ve liked to see - simply a larger version of the 13” with higher-res screen!
That was my take away. I own a 15" razer laptop and it has its advantages, but I will tell you, I get tired of lugging that around in airports, or even just to a hotel. Its one of the more thinner gaming laptops on the market and I'm generally tired of the heft.

I find, if I don't plan on playing any games, while away, my 14" MBP is what I grab. Some trips are such that I need that game playing diversion but many other trips, not so much

Pinterra

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024

I can also live with my 16” Intel MBP for now. In fact this Framework doesn’t sound like much of an upgrade compared to if I just installed Linux on the MBP (I will do so after MacOS stops supporting Intel).
You can get the 16” without the graphics module. Still bulky but less so.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
You can get the 16” without the graphics module. Still bulky but less so.
Yep, and its rather nice that you can (conceivably) get it in the future if you decide too.

I do wonder if getting a jack of all trades/master of none means certain sacrifices. I can get a smaller, lighter, less expensive laptop though it cannot be upgraded.

Not of nothing, but the MBP handles a lot of my heavy lifting, its only falling down in the game playing category.

Pinterra

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
Yep, and its rather nice that you can (conceivably) get it in the future if you decide too.

I do wonder if getting a jack of all trades/master of none means certain sacrifices. I can get a smaller, lighter, less expensive laptop though it cannot be upgraded.

Not of nothing, but the MBP handles a lot of my heavy lifting, its only falling down in the game playing category.
Yeah, reviews definitely show it lacking something in build quality, especially with the keyboard/touchpad/spacer thing they have going on. Too many seams.

MBP would do great in game playing if there were more games!

Reactions: maflynn

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
It'll be interesting to see what the Intel version brings to the table. But the question really does still linger, who needs a modular laptop? Laptos are already a compromise, and when you also compromise being able to pack stuff in as tight as possible purely for the sake of very potentially hypothetical upgradeability and repairability how many people will really buy them?

These days for me anything that isn't a Thinkpad or ZBook (I still have Surfaces but their hardware division is clearly on a downhill trend, and given everything that's happened I'm no longer clamouring to buy Microsoft hardware) is a Zephyrus or Flow, and there's no way I'm even considering trading any of them for a Framework for the above reason.

Last edited:

Pinterra

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
It'll be interesting to see what the Intel version brings to the table. But the question really does still linger, who needs a modular laptop? Laptos are already a compromise, and when you also compromise being able to pack stuff in as tight as possible purely for the sake of very potentially hypothetical upgradeability and repairability how many people will really buy them?

These days for me anything that isn't a Thinkpad or ZBook (I still have Surfaces but their hardware division is clearly on a downhill trend, and given everything that's happened I'm no longer clamouring to buy Microsoft hardware) is a Zephyrus or Flow, and there's no way I'm even considering trading any of them for a Framework for the above reason.
I'm curious to see if there will be an Intel version. That would mix Intel CPU with AMD graphics, which I'm not sure either wants. Unless Intel gets in on the graphics module. I don't see Nvidia doing it.

The motherboard upgrades are admirable, and great for the right kind of enthusiast that wants to avoid e-waste (a very real problem!). But all those laptops you listed sure are nicer when it comes to fit and finish for normal folks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.