Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Late to the party here but I have never cared for LTT, once your "showmanship" outweighs your actual value you lost me. Linus acts like a buffoon.

I have always found GN to be very informative, I just wish Steve would slow down a little, that dude can sure spout results and stats at a record pace.

Facts, and news alike, can be presented in an entertaining way without being entertainment.
They occupy different niches... or they always have, rather. LTT is now betting the farm on their testing lab, which is a huge mistake in my opinion, but we shall see. And yeah, I agree with you about Linus mostly, but there's a good guy hidden under all that ego I think. I like their videos where they highlight some weird product or strange use-case, but the benchmark/review/build/home renovation videos are just awful imo and serve only to highlight the annoying and mildly toxic aspects of LTT.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Taken to watching LTT's content in Private mode. This way I dont get my feed clogged up with LMG's content that I have no interest in. While LMG's output is still reduced it's just a matter of time before they are pumping out 100+ videos a month again which YT's algorithm is all too keen to push.

Still sceptical of the Labs project as LTT is too slapdash. Maybe if they can come up with a different presenter for the technical aspect as Linus is far too arrogant and tends to steam roller over the facts with his own opinion. He should stick with the entertaining side as that's what he's good at.

Q-6

Reactions: AgeOfSpiracles

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Taken to watching LTT's content in Private mode. This way I dont get my feed clogged up with LMG's content that I have no interest in. While LMG's output is still reduced it's just a matter of time before they are pumping out 100+ videos a month again which YT's algorithm is all too keen to push.
That's not a bad idea, tbh. If for no other reason, just to stop seeing his awful thumbnails all over my feed.

Reactions: Queen6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I was just watching the last Hardware Unboxed video regarding the RX 7700XT and he said something rather odd. All charts will be made to pateron and Floatplane members. So it seems HUB has some sort of professional relationship with LMG and this is why when this brouhaha broke out, Steve and Tim were unusually easy on Linus and the situation.

I'm not making more out of this then it should, just pointing out why they seemed a bit more quiet on the situation

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
I was just watching the last Hardware Unboxed video regarding the RX 7700XT and he said something rather odd. All charts will be made to pateron and Floatplane members. So it seems HUB has some sort of professional relationship with LMG and this is why when this brouhaha broke out, Steve and Tim were unusually easy on Linus and the situation.

I'm not making more out of this then it should, just pointing out why they seemed a bit more quiet on the situation
Most likely, HUB is just a Floatplane customer hosting content there. AFAIK, it's a purely transactional relationship, $$ for hosting and platform support... no deeper relationship beyond that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Most likely, HUB is just a Floatplane customer hosting content there. AFAIK, it's a purely transactional relationship, $$ for hosting and platform support... no deeper relationship beyond that.
I'm sure there's a business relationship but from other videos its clear they have each other's back. When that whole Nvidia Hardware Unboxed controversy occurred LMG was pushing Nvidia to do the right thing. Since then I've seen various comments from both that seem to imply a relationship that goes beyond professional respect.

Again, I'm not knocking HUB in how they addressed the LMG issue but I did think they had kid gloves on, Other times they they were quick to have their claws out - calling out what is wrong.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
I'm sure there's a business relationship but from other videos its clear they have each other's back. When that whole Nvidia Hardware Unboxed controversy occurred LMG was pushing Nvidia to do the right thing. Since then I've seen various comments from both that seem to imply a relationship that goes beyond professional respect.

Again, I'm not knocking HUB in how they addressed the LMG issue but I did think they had kid gloves on, Other times they they were quick to have their claws out - calling out what is wrong.
I'll defer to you on that, as I don't follow HUB or know much about them. I'm just saying the fact that they're on Floatplane doesn't mean anything in and of itself. If they have a deeper relationship beyond that, then that's something else. Unless I've misunderstood....

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN

What always in evidently circles around is how these (‘media’, whatever) “YouTubers” are money-centric err business first. In general, seeking compensation for effort isn’t wrong. However, I have no problem calling out the hypocrisy, YTers shaming (or worse) companies (e.g., Apple and Nvidia) for striving to maximize profits while comfortable with yellow journalism, using rationalization about satisfying, “feeding,” the YT algorithm as they understand it.

For me, there are only a half-dozen or so YT channels I pay attention to — I’ve tried and dropped many not long after first watching. With that said, I agree with the overall conclusion and sentiment of the following — which I came across just now and, admittedly, skipped around a bit before watching the last segment (i.e., “Point 8”).

Queen6

macrumors G4
LMG's videos are starting to creep up again. Some interesting, however the over obvious push to "Lab's" is becoming tedious. The whole house thing, zero interest in to the point of being insulting. I wonder if the regular customer gets "bro deals" on high end speakers likely not...

Q-6

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
LMG's videos are starting to creep up again. Some interesting, however the over obvious push to "Lab's" is becoming tedious. The whole house thing, zero interest in to the point of being insulting. I wonder if the regular customer gets "bro deals" on high end speakers likely not...

Q-6

Their view counts are down. GN ftw.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yeah especially his anti-Apple rants are childish drivel.
Just playing to his audience, equally puerile as Mac's have their plaice as does Linux and he wants to push LMG Labs as a serious thing LOL. Just no while such bias exists, cause if it doesn't AAA game it's not good :rolleyes: LMG Lab's will never be taken seriously as long as Linus is at the reigns as he's simply overly biased and has been shown to have serious conflicts of interest. Typical Youtuber, more clicks more $$$ rest is just soft soap.

Linus is a good entertainer and should stick with the clown shoes. Parting himself off as the "expert" is laughable as that he's not...

Q-6

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Parting himself off as the "expert" is laughable as that he's not...
I'm going to disagree with that. I think he has an incredible amount of technical knowledge - just watching the videos and how he carries himself, its clear his time in the computer industry has provide expertise. I do agree that his videos are on the side of entertainment where as GamerNexus is more technical. I also think he should stick with what works for him, the whole labs thing is out of his wheelhouse and the issues presented just show that.

I still have some fundamental issues with him investing in Framework (I love the idea of Framework and I hope they succeed) and remaining unbiased.

Reactions: ArkSingularity

Queen6

macrumors G4
I'm going to disagree with that. I think he has an incredible amount of technical knowledge - just watching the videos and how he carries himself, its clear his time in the computer industry has provide expertise. I do agree that his videos are on the side of entertainment where as GamerNexus is more technical. I also think he should stick with what works for him, the whole labs thing is out of his wheelhouse and the issues presented just show that.

I still have some fundamental issues with him investing in Framework (I love the idea of Framework and I hope they succeed) and remaining unbiased.
Then we will have to agree to disagree. Linus isn't formally trained and has only picked things up as he's gone along. While his skill as a presenter has undoubtedly helped his exposure to technology. He absolutely lacks the analytical skills of an engineer, admittedly potentially by design. Personally I think hence why the Lab's project and some videos are such a slapdash affair.

He plays to an audience and does it well, but IMO he's not fooling anyone he's the expert. As said best to stick with the clown shoes. Sorry he simply talks out his ass at times due to his personal biases and that wont change anytime soon. Worse he favours companies likely for the $$$$ as LMG is deeply involved as is he.

While we all learn from experience, more balanced minds put personal bias aside in the professional realm. When you get deep into it there is no room for bias and if you apply your bias your clients will see though it instantly...

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Linus isn't formally trained and has only picked things up as he's gone along.
No he isn't, but I've worked with some pretty amazing and gifted people who also were not traditionally trained and picked things up along the way. I value actual work experience over formal training. I learned more about programming in work then I ever did taking college courses.

The GamerNexus channel is hosted by someone who isn't formally trained in many of the areas they report on, yet provide expert reviews, and details.

Reactions: zakarhino and Wokis

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Linus is a good entertainer and should stick with the clown shoes. Parting himself off as the "expert" is laughable as that he's not...
I'm going to disagree with that. I think he has an incredible amount of technical knowledge - just watching the videos and how he carries himself, its clear his time in the computer industry has provide expertise.
Then we will have to agree to disagree. Linus isn't formally trained and has only picked things up as he's gone along. While his skill as a presenter has undoubtedly helped his exposure to technology. He absolutely lacks the analytical skills of an engineer, admittedly potentially by design. Personally I think hence why the Lab's project and some videos are such a slapdash affair.

He plays to an audience and does it well, but IMO he's not fooling anyone he's the expert. As said best to stick with the clown shoes. Sorry he simply talks out his ass at times due to his personal biases and that wont change anytime soon. Worse he favours companies likely for the $$$$ as LMG is deeply involved as is he.

While we all learn from experience, more balanced minds put personal bias aside in the professional realm. When you get deep into it there is no room for bias and if you apply your bias your clients will see though it instantly...
I think, you’re both somewhat correct. It is apparent Linus has gained and mostly grasped quite a bit of PC knowledge over the years. However, it is also evident his ego and bias will never allow him to be truly objective, at least in a respectfully consistent form.

Even though it isn’t perfectly fitting, the situation reminds me of the Jurassic Park quote:

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
No he isn't, but I've worked with some pretty amazing and gifted people who also were not traditionally trained and picked things up along the way. I value actual work experience over formal training. I learned more about programming in work then I ever did taking college courses.

The GamerNexus channel is hosted by someone who isn't formally trained in many of the areas they report on, yet provide expert reviews, and details.
There's an obvious and specific difference. When you work with or under talent that's when you see the difference. OJT is a big factor, equally we are speaking about a Youtuber who simply wants to flood the tech sphere who has a finesse for entertaining and a lack of accurate perspective. I also suspect a wife with very good business acumen...

Formal training you missed the point by a mile, as your talking about schooling, I'm not...

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Since he's invested so highly in Frameworks, I question whether he can objectively review and discuss non-framework laptops.
If he has any common sense he will avoid reviewing notebooks as he has a significant personal interest in Framework. His video on the upcoming 15" Framework was more a paid for advert than anything else which is fundamentally in his own benefit.

Dont get me wrong I think Framework is a step in the right direction, however as a significant investor Linus needs to not raise such conflicts of interest certainly not on YT or use the channel to promote to the cost of others.

Q-6

Reactions: TSE

SchilPhiller

Suspended
Aug 29, 2023
Well guys, totally back to normal. Nobody cares about the false accusations that chick made. Nor the benchmarking, they’re going to improve. All the disaster prophecies on here about how ‘they’re done’ - L O L

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Well guys, totally back to normal
I don't think so, I think they lost a segment of viewers, maybe a drop in the bucket, maybe not, but it has changed to a point where many people are less likely to give him a pass or put up with their nonsense.
Nobody cares about the false accusations that chick made.
IT has not been established if they're false or not. Also its not the sort of thing that will get more traction, other then a report on the investigation. Nothing will come of it, unless Madison decided to pursue legal recourse. Whether she does it or not, is his business.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I just don't think its playing to their strength in this move. Maybe I'm wrong but the fanbase of LTT isn't there because of Linus' stringent testing methodologies and metrics. Conversely Gamer Nexus's fanbase is.

I'm not sure the decision to build the lab was based on what the user's want. I genuinely feel Linus wants to try and review things properly (because he's been burned by tech in the past like the rest of us), he's just having teething problems from trying to move too fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.