Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@anika200 @D.T.
Ok, regarding bolting down the new Gazebo, I went with the 1 9/16” anchor sleeves, ended up buying stainless steel 3/8” Hex bolts 1“ long and they worked well. I’ll use this opportunity to tout my DeWalt Rotary Hammer. The last time I installed concrete anchors I had a regular drill and a masonry bit. For a comparison I started by using the traditional drill, what a slog with slow progress. Then out came the rotary hammer, and it cut like butter relatively. :) I had to take care not to drill too deep.

The plans call for 4 bolts on each leg, but as of now I just used 2 bolts per leg. I figure any storm capable of lifting up a 500lb gazebo, would probably trash the roof of it anyway despite how well it is engineered.

The first gazebo was 10’x12’ with a cloth top and we had it tucked in the corner of the notch in the back of the house, square with the walls.I could undo the roof and get up at the gutters and soffit. But this gazebo 10x10’ has a metal roof and if I tucked it into the corner it would block that area. So we put it in at almost a 45 degree angle and like that because our kitchen door is angled so it lines up with the gazebo when we look out the door.

Also, I’ve been hankering for a lemon tree, so I purchased a variegated Eureka Lemmon. The inside of the fruit is pink and looks like grapefruit, but the juice is clear. I’m keeping it in a pot to limit how big it gets. 7’ would be good.

13244061-4DC7-4D74-85F8-DD116EEE45EF.jpeg
New gazebo.

4994E520-07E4-4069-8E31-AE2999DA5663.jpeg
Well engineered

9441D6EE-BD65-489D-A847-2519DD267465.jpeg
Concrete Anchors

9932ECB0-7C1B-4B48-97BF-F1A9B6E20528.jpeg
Variegated Eureka Lemon surrounded by
lantana and a Bird of Paradise.​

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
@anika200 @D.T.
Ok, regarding bolting down the new Gazebo, I went with the 1 9/16” anchor sleeves, ended up buying stainless steel 3/8” Hex bolts 1“ long and they worked well. I’ll use this opportunity to tout my DeWalt Rotary Hammer. The last time I installed concrete anchors I had a regular drill and a masonry bit. For a comparison I started by using the traditional drill, what a slog with slow progress. Then out came the rotary hammer, and it cut like butter relatively. :) I had to take care not to drill too deep.

The plans call for 4 bolts on each leg, but as of now I just used 2 bolts per leg. I figure any storm capable of lifting up a 500lb gazebo, would probably trash the roof of it anyway despite how well it is engineered.

The first gazebo was 10’x12’ with a cloth top and we had it tucked in the corner of the notch in the back of the house, square with the walls.I could undo the roof and get up at the gutters and soffit. But this gazebo 10x10’ has a metal roof and if I tucked it into the corner it would block that area. So we put it in at almost a 45 degree angle and like that because our kitchen door is angled so it lines up with the gazebo When we look out the door.

Also, I’ve been hankering for a lemon tree, so I purchased a variegated Eureka Lemmon. The inside of the fruit is pink and looks like grapefruit, but the juice is clear. I’m keeping it in a pot to limit how big it gets. 7’ would be good.

Wow! Nice job!

Reactions: kazmac and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Gazebo talk.
I forgot to talk about putting this Gazebo together. It says 3 people required! I just had my 18 year old grandson And it was a handful. The roof is 4 large triangles, not terribly heavy each, I pre-assembled them including the roof. All the wood was precut and drilled so it was just slapping it together.

I placed two extra 2x4s across the top about 1/4 from the sides so the pieces could lay on them. We laid 2 opposite pieces, then laid the third piece on them, and raised it first. One of us held it up at the right angle, while the other person slide and lifted the second piece. Because they were pre-drilled, we had the bolts ready to connect them. Then one of us raised the third piece (all while standing on ladders), and we connected it. The forth piece required clamps to get the sides close enough that we could get the nut on the bolt. I’d say that this project is not that easy if you’ve never done something like this before.

710217BE-D73B-4B4D-A556-76697AB364E0.jpeg

594DB2E3-4E9C-443C-94C1-059552B12D3F.jpeg

85ECA8F6-585F-4A4D-8930-39360BA8F5B7.jpeg

D3C1B168-6BC4-421C-B8CF-43F54C420D8F.jpeg

FF82C7BE-66DC-4CF7-B3A1-BB10D3A4DA12.jpeg
One of the few pics of me at the lumber yard.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I guess this is actually a better place to put this - we've been having a lot of exterior work, new fence, deck, storage (I have posted about this in the "On your mind ..." thread a few times).

Deck rebuilt, all custom, using SunDeck (product from a local lumber yard, 2-stage treated select, white pine), very cool, it's bullnose cut, and the constactor went with these beefy 6x6 foundations, notched down for a really nice finish on the corners, crossbeams at 16" (the old construction was even to old spec ...), cutout around trees. The deck goes like 12' out the back, then ~28 feet across part of the back, around the corner, about another 28' or so feet to the front, drops down like 8-10" midway, then there's stairs down to a gate.

This week, we're extended the original design (which was more or less a replacement), with an extra 10x10 section built out from the front lower side area, so it'll be down, and close to the front fence.

The fence was custom fabricated (vs. prefab panels), small gates on both corners, and a double 10' gate on the larger side section for drive through access - on the rear section, ~16" of 4x4 was left above the fence line (which is at 6'). The idea was to go some trellis for a little more privacy, and in the event of some kind of issue with "code compliance", we'd have a way to remove it without wrecking the fence (honestly, here at the beach, I can't imagine an issue, and there's not anything like a HOA, I wouldn't live where that was a thing anyway ...)

So instead of just tacking up some 16" pine trellis, my guy split 2x4, cut out a slot, and made like frames, that are sized to slide down between the pickets on the fence (it's a shadowbox type design), they'll fasten to the 4x4, and then he's going to go back, and do a finishing top cap with some Sundeck (which will also tie the sections together), and the finished product will be closer to 19"-20" higher than the fence :D

IMG_6828_1200.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I guess this is actually a better place to put this - we've been having a lot of exterior work, new fence, deck, storage (I have posted about this in the "On your mind ..." thread a few times).

Deck rebuilt, all custom, using SunDeck (product from a local lumber yard, 2-stage treated select, white pine), very cool, it's bullnose cut, and the constactor went with these beefy 6x6 foundations, notched down for a really nice finish on the corners, crossbeams at 16" (the old construction was even to old spec ...), cutout around trees. The deck goes like 12' out the back, then ~28 feet across part of the back, around the corner, about another 28' or so feet to the front, drops down like 8-10" midway, then there's stairs down to a gate.

This week, we're extended the original design (which was more or less a replacement), with an extra 10x10 section built out from the front lower side area, so it'll be down, and close to the front fence.

The fence was custom fabricated (vs. prefab panels), small gates on both corners, and a double 10' gate on the larger side section for drive through access - on the rear section, ~16" of 4x4 was left above the fence line (which is at 6'). The idea was to go some trellis for a little more privacy, and in the event of some kind of issue with "code compliance", we'd have a way to remove it without wrecking the fence (honestly, here at the beach, I can't imagine an issue, and there's not anything like a HOA, I wouldn't live where that was a thing anyway ...)

So instead of just tacking up some 16" pine trellis, my guy split 2x4, cut out a slot, and made like frames, that are sized to slide down between the pickets on the fence (it's a shadowbox type design), they'll fasten to the 4x4, and then he's going to go back, and do a finishing top cap with some Sundeck (which will also tie the sections together), and the finished product will be closer to 19"-20" higher than the fence :D

View attachment 917351
The trellis frames look good and more polished. I have some up for climbing plants and screwed some 2x4s on the front as a frame.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Gazebo talk.
I forgot to talk about putting this Gazebo together. It say 3 people required! I just had my 18 year old grandson And it was a handful. The roof is 4 large triangles, not terribly heavy each, I pre-assembled them including the roof. All the wood was precut and drilled so it was just slapping it together.

I placed two extra 2x4s across the top about 1/4 from the sides so the pieces could lay on them. We laid 2 opposite pieces, then laid the third piece on them, and raised it first. One of us held it up at the right angle, while the other person slide and lifted the second piece. Because they were pre-drilled, we had the bolts ready to connect them. Then one of us raised the third piece (all while standing on ladders), and we connected it. The forth piece required clamps to get the sides close enough that we could get the nut on the bolt. I’d say that this project is not that easy if you’ve never done something like this before.

Man that thing looks heavy duty, nice.
[automerge]1590143943[/automerge]

View attachment 917351
Sounds amazing, you have a good contractor for sure.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
No, it's a porpoise-tooth ceremonial headband from the Lau Lagoon, Malaita, Solmon Islands.

Now that's something I didn't expect to read on this forum today ... :D
[automerge]1590154945[/automerge]
Sounds amazing, you have a good contractor for sure.

Yeah, and to be right here in the neighborhood. He did a small project for us early last year, and was just fantastic, and we had been talking to him for literally years about this, just never had our "ducks in a row" as they say. The AC work we had done last year was also a local, as in, right here in the neighborhood business, also terrific - "advertised" via NextDoor, same for our pressure washing service (which was amazing).

Last edited:
  • Haha

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Oh, so tools, I've been using a corded string trimmer (aka, weed wacker), but I picked up a to-be-delivered-today battery powered / cordless model by Greenworks. Earlier this year I got their blower and pitched my corded one - it's been terrific using it, always ready to go, can just walk around to the back without any cord shuffle to blow off the deck (now that we have a deck again :D) I also found the need for a small pole chainsaw, just to deal with a few things around the yard, and a side we decided to sort of "open up", you can remove the center section for close cutting, it's an 8", really solid motor.

All of these use the same 40v battery pack, I've got the 3a pack (they make a 4a as well), it's pretty cool it has bluetooth and an app, and you can check the status of the battery from your phone, setup alerts for low battery, etc., system charges quickly and lasts a long time. And here's the really neat thing that makes these price effective, they offer all of them with a charger and battery, or just to the tool by itself. So a 6' chain/pole saw, a dual string, auto feed string trimmer are like $70-80 each (they're a good $100-125 cheaper than the tool with the battery system).

FWIW, for my light lawn care, I don't like fooling around with small, gas powered tools, just no need, extra maintenance, consumables (outside of bar oil), etc.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
FWIW, for my light lawn care, I don't like fooling around with small, gas powered tools, just no need, extra maintenance, consumables (outside of bar oil), etc.
Yep, I am transitioning to all battery here where possible.

My latest ride is still gas though and I don't even have a yard to mow, haha. I wanted propane but the price jumped by $5000, yikes, so back to gas. Bummer.

IMG_20200522_131920400.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Huntn and D.T.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oh, so tools, I've been using a corded string trimmer (aka, weed wacker), but I picked up a to-be-delivered-today battery powered / cordless model by Greenworks. Earlier this year I got their blower and pitched my corded one - it's been terrific using it, always ready to go, can just walk around to the back without any cord shuffle to blow off the deck (now that we have a deck again :D) I also found the need for a small pole chainsaw, just to deal with a few things around the yard, and a side we decided to sort of "open up", you can remove the center section for close cutting, it's an 8", really solid motor.

All of these use the same 40v battery pack, I've got the 3a pack (they make a 4a as well), it's pretty cool it has bluetooth and an app, and you can check the status of the battery from your phone, setup alerts for low battery, etc., system charges quickly and lasts a long time. And here's the really neat thing that makes these price effective, they offer all of them with a charger and battery, or just to the tool by itself. So a 6' chain/pole saw, a dual string, auto feed string trimmer are like $70-80 each (they're a good $100-125 cheaper than the tool with the battery system).

Yep, I am transitioning to all battery here where possible.

My latest ride is still gas though and I don't even have a yard to mow, haha. I wanted propane but the price jumped by $5000, yikes, so back to gas. Bummer.

View attachment 917690

I have no grass to mow in my backyard, and the front yard is small enough to handle an electric push mower. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: anika200

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I have no yard to mow in my backyard, and the front yard is small enough to handle a an electric push mower. :)

The one thing I kept gas powered is our push mower - just a big enough yard, with lots of under/in areas, some ditches, it's not powered either, I like it being lightweight so I can sort of sling it around.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The one thing I kept gas powered is our push mower - just a big enough yard, with lots of under/in areas, some ditches, it's not powered either, I like it being lightweight so I can sort of sling it around.
My mower needs a cord, but a 100’ cord is long enough and it’s one open area, so no issues dragging it around.

Reactions: D.T.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

The new string trimmer is awesome, and it was nice to easily navigate the whole front and back yards without having to manage extension cords. In fact, I put all but one short one into a big storage tub.

So I finished up the trimming, swapped the battery into the blower, back on the charger, always ready, so nice.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
92335A91-2538-404E-A45F-791287837E2E.jpeg
I’ve got 3 pots with Rosemary around the pool because I heard a rumor mosquitos don’t like the scent. One pot abruptly died off and my wife thinks I over fertilized it, which is possible but not proven. ;)

Anyway I took two cuttings off the remaining plants, plunked them in a jar of water and a week later roots are a growing! So I moved them to a pot and will keep them by the kitchen sink until they get established. It’s way to hot to put the babies out in the heat. ?

5253B5F5-32BB-46CB-A54B-63A5341FE5E2.jpeg

Reactions: D.T.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’ve got 3 pots with Rosemary around the pool because I heard a rumor mosquitos don’t like the scent. One pot abruptly died off and my wife thinks I over fertilized it, which is possible but not proven. ;)

Anyway I took two cuttings off the remaining plants, plunked them in a jar of water and a week later roots are a growing! So I moved them to a pot and will keep them by the kitchen sink until they get established. It’s way to hot to put the babies out in the heat. ?

Mrs AFB used to make nice rosemary potatoes. They were very tasty, but sadly didn’t agree with her.

• Sad

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
So you want some garden talk?

What did one tomato say to the other during a race?

Ketchup.

Tomato is talking to Carrot about a party, Tomato says, "We should definitely invite Mushroom."

Carrot says, "To the party? Why?"

Tomato says, "Well ... he's a fungi."

*mic drop*
[automerge]1593813558[/automerge]
Hahahaha ...

1593813555212.png

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Jeez and I thought my jokes were cheesy. :p @anika200 Nice Toro. I had one of those many years ago before I sold it. For trellises, I really love using pressure treated wood. Not only does it last a long time, it's fairly weather and bug resistant. Plus, you can paint them. For large trellis works, I'd aim for something nice like a climbing rose species. Given @Huntn lives in the Houston area or did at one point, it shouldn't be hard to find a species that's alright with the growing zone of that area.

@Huntn Your wife is probably wrong here. Rosemary is a very fickle plant to grow... if you're doing it. I've found rosemary grows best if you do a deep watering, and then don't water for weeks if not months at a time. Rosemary grows incredibly well in dry, sandy, rocky soil in remote areas of say Greece, for example. Too much fertilizer can kill a plant, but it's often over watering that will kill them. They're hearty, though.

Don't have anything planned myself. I'd like an Allett... But it would be another tool I really don't need.

Reactions: D.T. and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Jeez and I thought my jokes were cheesy. :p @anika200 Nice Toro. I had one of those many years ago before I sold it. For trellises, I really love using pressure treated wood. Not only does it last a long time, it's fairly weather and bug resistant. Plus, you can paint them. For large trellis works, I'd aim for something nice like a climbing rose species. Given @Huntn lives in the Houston area or did at one point, it shouldn't be hard to find a species that's alright with the growing zone of that area.

@Huntn Your wife is probably wrong here. Rosemary is a very fickle plant to grow... if you're doing it. I've found rosemary grows best if you do a deep watering, and then don't water for weeks if not months at a time. Rosemary grows incredibly well in dry, sandy, rocky soil in remote areas of say Greece, for example. Too much fertilizer can kill a plant, but it's often over watering that will kill them. They're hearty, though.

Don't have anything planned myself. I'd like an Allett... But it would be another tool I really don't need.
They are probably overwatered although I shoot to water them once a week. I’ve seen rosemary growing in really hot dry environments and look happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.