Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
the mulch looks nice as a ground cover till the weeds take over the area
we put plastic and or a fiber paper down first. The plastic only lasts a few years
saw the neighbor doing the old carpet idea.

Reactions: Huntn

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Native plants for the region are the way to go, not totally sure about the curlex or fiber straw it does not seem to ever break down from my experience.
We try to use all native plants and encourage all wild flowers to come and prosper on our property.
The only problem with doing this is that one persons flowers are another persons weeds.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Native plants for the region are the way to go, not totally sure about the curlex or fiber straw it does not seem to ever break down from my experience.
We try to use all native plants and encourage all wild flowers to come and prosper on our property.
The only problem with doing this is that one persons flowers are another persons weeds.
If you end up with unwanted wildflowers in your yard, mowing usually takes care of that. :)

• Haha
Reactions: anika200

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Update : project complete with 2 dwarf Acoma Crape Myrtle bushes to be shaped as trees, 3 decorative grasses, and wild flower seeds planted. Let’s see what happens. :)

Landscaping finished, watching for wildflowers to pop.
Hopefully the straw bed will not adversely effect wildflower seeds.
They were put down first

View attachment 1757094
Acoma dwarf Crape Myrtle pruned as tree. Mine will have to be pruned up
for the narrow space, next to the driveway.​

The guide I am reading says regular watering required until the wildflowers get established then they can be ignored somewhat. ;)
Wildflowers were rearing to go, in fact some seeds we are planting are popping virtually within 48 hours. April has been glorious, today in the 60s.

4F7EEDC7-F9B7-4A13-A538-076E4F0A02B8.jpeg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Interesting article for anyone who might want to make a home made liquid fertilizer:

No time mate. Not with all digging Mrs AFB keeps lining me up! Oh good. You bought another three plants you need me to dig holes for then water everyday for the next month!

• Haha

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No time mate. Not with all digging Mrs AFB keeps lining me up! Oh good. You bought another three plants you need me to dig holes for then water everyday for the next month!
Personally making your own fertilizer by letting things rot, is too much effort. The ones that just combine ingredients seem more practical.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
i’m starting to think your next project should be a DIY solar install on your place!
Next project is to connect an external transfer switch to my outside electrical CB panel* to make it easier to connect the gas powered generator to the house circuitry. It’s pretty slick. When I get started I’ll post images, in the home generator thread. This transfer switch is like a small circuit breaker panel, with 7 flip switches inside. You simply flip the circuits you want to power with the generator.

*I’m not sure if it’s safe to say only in Texas but this is the first place I’ve lived where cheap ass builders slap a circuit breaker on the outside, backside of the house instead of putting it in the garage where it belongs.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Finally got a little wood shed built for the fire pit area. Some work is still needed like the 1x6 to face the front and cover the cut ends and lag holes etc... We have a nice local sawmill that basically cuts what you want within the week you order it, how lucky. All other materials were just left over or recycled.

PXL_20210520_181007242.jpg

Oh and the Garden is doing pretty good so far.

PXL_20210516_154253314.jpg

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Finally got a little wood shed built for the fire pit area. Some work is still needed like the 1x6 to face the front and cover the cut ends and lag holes etc... We have a nice local sawmill that basically cuts what you want within the week you order it, how lucky. All other materials were just left over or recycled.

View attachment 1781340

Oh and the Garden is doing pretty good so far.

View attachment 1781411
Nice. I’m storing my fire pit wood in the garage. This looks like a much better solution.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My wife decided to plant up a bunch of pots, and although we’ve had pots in the past, they were in the sprinkler zone, and those plants typically send roots down though the drainage holes into the dirt so they don’t need as much watering as if they were just reliant on moisture in the pot. The new pots sit on the deck and need watering every other day in the oven which is our back yard. :) Then there are these small hanging baskets which are at the mercy of the Sun. We are relying more on succulents, than in the past.

A nice lady at a local garden center, gave me some cuttings of stapelia, succulents similar to cactus but minus the needles. I just stuck them in some dirt and they grew.

CDB1F4AF-8D56-4667-A508-6448B018133B.jpeg
Stapelia, left and right in turquoise rocks

52E1E8DB-3C28-434E-85F4-F33230FB5E18.jpeg
Not my pic.​

Last edited:

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
My wife decided to plant up a bunch of pots,
Your wife picked out some very nice pots. 👍 We have to water our pots every day to keep them alive. I guess we justify that by putting veggies in some of them, tomatoes and peppers and Tatsoi greens.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I've been busy planting pots around my patio garden.
I've managed to get a red canna lily to grow from a seed. It's in the planter on the left.
I also managed to grow a cranberry hibiscus (red leaves and stems) from a seed. Planter on the right.

IMG_2354.jpeg

I've only got two patio gardens to tend, so my garden is not too complex.
I've recently planted two plumeria from cuttings.
IMG_2301.jpeg

IMG_2305.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What the hell happened to my rat tail cactus? It went from:

not my pic:
65AA8D9D-638D-4B92-BE39-C8EFD01F08BE.jpeg

To:
DB075045-A593-4386-8E9D-F5880849F810.jpeg

I thought it was going through something but what? Someone on line said that it can be due to under watering, but we’ve gotten quite a bit of rain, and… it’s a frick’n cactus! 😦

Then today I noticed some kind of a larvae, cross between a body of a slug and sharp little mandibles chewing at it. Bastard!!! Had not seen it before, Could I have let the larva’s of some vile creature eat the hell out of my cute little cactus and not notice? 😥

Anyway there are 5 sections hanging over the pot that are still nice and green connected to the main plant by dried up stalks, I cut them off, those dried up stalks were still green in the middle and planted 5 new plants. Now I’ll keep an eagle eye on the cactus, maybe spray it with a natural insecticide and hope the mother plant recovers. No reason to should not, I’m thinking.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I've been busy planting pots around my patio garden.
I've managed to get a red canna lily to grow from a seed. It's in the planter on the left.
I also managed to grow a cranberry hibiscus (red leaves and stems) from a seed. Planter on the right.

View attachment 1801489

I've only got two patio gardens to tend, so my garden is not too complex.
I've recently planted two plumeria from cuttings.
View attachment 1801494

View attachment 1801495
I like your patio.....but what's the "roof"?

Are those bug screens?

Reactions: stillcrazyman

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Second summer in this house. Unfortunately between the weeds and how bad veggies turned out so far in two grows, I don’t think this garden is made out for food.

The weeds won’t relent either. Worse than any garden I have had before.. I think I need to nuke the damn soil somehow and just kill everything in it

I’m debating trying a wildflower garden next year. If I can’t grow veggies, at least give the bees somewhere nice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.