Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Made some bird houses the other day in anticipation of spring. This style usually attracts wrens which can eat a ton of caterpillars (cabbage moth, cut worms etc... is what I was seeing) out of your garden plants. When I say a ton, we are talking one, two, three at a time every 10-20 minutes when they are raising their young. When they run out of caterpillars they start bringing spiders and then whatever possible.

View attachment 1956660
My wife bought some inexpensive wren houses. I like yours better. :) I have 2 solitary bee houses so I’m hoping they are well received. We have a gazebo out back and a wren started building a nest under one corner then abandoned it. Then we saw wasps in it until we killed them and wonder if the wasps could have deterred it, or we were too close when out back.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Lol, my wife’s plant marking system, little green and yellow plastic tabs stuck in the ground has been sabotaged by… the squirrels or some other critter that has run off with seemingly all of them! I imagine some nicely decorated squirrel nests. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Bee Houses- I‘ve got 2 up and have evidence of bee activity. :)

EBC7C7B3-2BD3-480F-8D0C-E1C98558551E.jpeg

BD9234FD-924D-4CB0-8713-B51B7DE827E8.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A Little Toad Story
The other night before today’s current heat wave (92F) which is hot for May around here, we were sitting outside by the pool near Sundown and a loud chorus of critters chirping started, long 2-4 second chirps almost like purring. I thought it was the local lizards, but it turned out to be the toads. They were calling to each other, come here, I have a task for you! Responded by: I’m here and on my way! ;)

So out pops from the foliage near the house, what I would describe as a very small toad, 1.5” or so.
This maybe a Houston toad or a Spring Peeper, something like this in appearance:

CC8BBF48-CA84-4EAE-9A27-41CE9FEAA0C0.jpeg

It was so small that I assumed it was a juvenile at first, but maybe not if it is participating in serenading. It hops by our chair and sits on the pool scape, producing long chirps that are being answered from over by our weeping cedar. Then it hops over to the pool edge, a straight line is to go through the pool. To go around the pool would be the wise toad, because I have found small toads/frogs in the scuppers some alive, some dead.

The way the pool is designed there is an overhang around the entire pool and although toads/ frogs can hang on the walls, they can‘t navigate this overhang. Basically they get stuck in the pool.

So it is Twilight, we can see the form of this toad, by the pool edge chirping away, and we both say urgently “don’t Do It!!” followed by plop, into the pool it goes. I got the net on a long pole to try to fish it out, but it was dark, even with the pool lights turned on, and too fast, swimming away like a sub, so I could not scoop it out. “Oh well” I said.

The next day I went looking for the toad, checked the scuppers, did not see it. Then the day after that, I went out to clean the pool, got in the water, where I brush away any algae forming on the sides of the pool. Busily brushing the sides of the pool, I look up and on the floating hose of the automated pool cleaner there is this a glum looking toad. Ok, I’m going to assume this is the same toad from 2 days before because I found no carcass. (Or maybe the other toad did escape and this is a new toad? Anyway, I’ll proceed with my story.)

I grabbed my hand net normally used to scoop floating debris out of the pool and placed that under the toad who did not look like he was in any hurry to get away. since these seem to ne nocturnal, it means he would have been sitting in the Sun for a good portion of the day and not too happy.

As he started to move, my fear was if he hopped into the water I’d never catch him, but I think he was dragging because it was easy to grab him with my free hand as he moved onto the net. He was small enough that I could close my hand around him and I apologize for not taking a moment to get a picture of him. I took him over near the weeping cedar which I think was his original goal, bent over, opened my hand and he just sat there as in I’m free? He did not even pee in my hand (probably dehydrated).

Yes, you are free, I said and with some encouragement he hopped off and headed for the weeds, no, no weeds here, just plants. ;) Maybe the dangers of the cement pond as they called it in The Beverly Hillbilly’s has made an impression in this toad’s memory circuits.

Garden wall finished. Just need to back fill the soil, plant the bed and seed the lawn. View attachment 1995420
Is it tricky, keeping the top relatively level, and is that accomplishes with mortar thickness?

Not really related, but some years ago we had a manufactured stone added to the entry way of a former house whigh included a 4’ high band of rock below windows adjacent to the entrance. They stapled tar paper on the wall, then chicken wire, and because it needed a top bevel of rock that was level, what I learned is to start at the top and work down. With the manufactured stone which is light enough, the adhesive will hold it on the wall in place As you stack stones down the wall to the foundation.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: anika200

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
A Little Toad Story
The other night before today’s current heat wave (92F) which is hot for May around here, we were sitting outside by the pool near Sundown and a loud chorus of critters chirping started, long 2-4 second chirps almost like purring. I thought it was the local lizards, but it turned out to be the toads. They were calling to each other, come here, I have a task for you! Responded by: I’m here and on my way! ;)

So out pops from the foliage near the house, what I would describe as a very small toad, 1.5” or so.
This maybe a Houston toad or a Spring Peeper, something like this in appearance:

I was so small that I assumed it was a juvenile at first, but maybe not if it is participating in serenading. It hops by our chair and sits on the pool scape, producing long chirps that are being answered from over by our weeping cedar. Then it hops over to the pool edge, a straight line is to go through the pool. To go around the pool would be the wise toad, because I have found small toads/frogs in the scuppers some alive, some dead.

The way the pool is designed there is an overhang around the entire pool and although toads/ frogs can hang on the walls, they can‘t navigate this overhang. Basically they get stuck in the pool.

So it is Twilight, we can see the form of this toad, by the pool edge chirping away, and we both say urgently “don’t Do It!!” followed by plop, into the pool it goes. I got the net on a long pole to try to fish it out, but it was dark, even with the pool lights turned on, and too fast, swimming away like a sub, so I could not scoop it out. “Oh well” I said.

The next day I went looking for the toad, checked the scuppers, did not see it. Then the day after that, I went out to clean the pool, got in the water, where I brush away any algae forming on the sides of the pool. Busily brushing the sides of the pool, I look up and on the floating hose of the automated pool cleaner there is this a glum looking toad. Ok, I’m going to assume this is the same toad from 2 days before because I found no carcass. (Or maybe the other toad did escape and this is a new toad? Anyway, I’ll proceed with my story.)

I grabbed my hand net normally used to scoop floating debris out of the pool and placed that under the toad who did not look like he was in any hurry to get away. since these seem to ne nocturnal, it means he would have been sitting in the Sun for a good portion of the day and not too happy.

As he started to move, my fear was if he hopped into the water I’d never catch him, but I think he was dragging because it was easy to grab him with my free hand as he moved onto the net. He was small enough that I could close my hand around him and I apologize for not taking a moment to get a picture of him. I took him over near the weeping cedar which I think was his original goal, bent over, opened my hand and he just sat there as in I’m free? He did not even pee in my hand (probably dehydrated).

Yes, you are free, I said and with some encouragement he hopped off and headed for the weeds, no, no weeds here, just plants. ;) Maybe the dangers of the concrete pond as they called it in The Beverly Hillbilly’s has made an impression in this frog’s memory circuits.

Is it tricky, keeping the top relatively level, and is that accomplishes with mortar thickness?

Not really related, but some years ago we had a manufactured stone added to the entry way of a former house whigh included a 4’ high band of rock below windows adjacent to the entrance. They stapled tar paper on the wall, then chicken wire, and because it needed a top bevel of rock that was level, what I learned is to start at the top and work down. With the manufactured stone which is light enough, the adhesive will hold it on the wall in place As you stack stones down the wall to the foundation.
So I didn’t build the wall. But the guy who did laid each stone level dry, then mixed the mortar and added it. So he could get the level right without having to rush.

Today I worked on the dirt to the right of the wall. Should finish tomorrow then I can put some grass seed down. Mrs AFB has been working the other side getting things ready to plant.

Reactions: Huntn

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
A Little Toad Story

I was so small that I assumed it was a juvenile at first, but maybe not if it is participating in serenading. It hops by our chair and sits on the pool scape, producing long chirps that are being answered from over by our weeping cedar. Then it hops over to the pool edge, a straight line is to go through the pool. To go around the pool would be the wise toad, because I have found small toads/frogs in the scuppers some alive, some dead.

Yes, you are free, I said and with some encouragement he hopped off and headed for the weeds, no, no weeds here, just plants. ;) Maybe the dangers of the concrete pond as they called it in The Beverly Hillbilly’s has made an impression in this frog’s memory circuits.

Even with the absence of a motorcar and a badger, this sounds like it would be a Wild Ride for young Mr. Toad.

• Love

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Great story! Glad the little guy got away.
By the way, they make/sell these really cool things called Frog Logs which is basically a rescue ramp for the frogs, turtles, large insects, bats, birds etc... that make there way into your pool. I don't think they are very expensive and they are definitely not intrusive or any maintenance whatsoever, they just save lives. Check it out.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
What irritated me, is that I called the company who sells the anchors above, and asked what length bolt is designed to work your anchor and the answer was We don’t make recommendations. I think it should not be that hard, how thick is the material you are bolting down, and what length of the bolt actually fits within the anchor, and how deep the anchor is set in the concrete.
Is there a Home Depot or Lowe's in "Misty Mountain?" :)

Anyway, you can buy bolts and anchors for concrete use at most hardware stores, but drilling a hole on a concrete floor is best done with a "hammer drill." There are Hilti (brand) hammer drills available at most tool-rental stores. The most important thing to remember is that the drill bit must match the anchor's hole size. As for how deep to drill, it depends on how deep you must drill to set the anchor.

Different anchor types require different ways to accomplish the task:

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Struggling to keep things alive in the current heatwave. Hosepipe bans are already being talked about.
Has it been very hot in the UK?

It was a little hot in the interior of Alaska for a few days, but not extremely so. We had a long winter and lots of snow, at least four feet ( a little over a meter) of it on my backyard, and also the roof of my house. Some roofs collapsed because of the heavy snow. Then the snow melted, and several weeks passed without rain. Finally this week it stared raining, but before the rain came millions of acres of forested land had burned because of the thousands of lightning strikes all around the interior of Alaska. Every now and then we have a dry and early summer like this, lots of wildfires, but not as dry.

This week the day temperatures range from the 60's to the low 70's F. (15's -20's C ?), then at night it cools to the low 50's to the low 40's by the end of the week. The thunderstorms and lightning will probably continue for a while :)

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The newly coined "danger season" (Summer) has just started. Fires started showing up 2 months ago and are ramping up for what may be a record season. Not great to be gardening outside in some parts of Alaska and Canada right now unless you like the smell of smoke. Next up hurricanes.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 1.52.53 AM .jpg

• Sad

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Has it been very hot in the UK?

It was a little hot in the interior of Alaska for a few days, but not extremely so. We had a long winter and lots of snow, at least four feet ( a little over a meter) of it on my backyard, and also the roof of my house. Some roofs collapsed because of the heavy snow. Then the snow melted, and several weeks passed without rain. Finally this week it stared raining, but before the rain came millions of acres of forested land had burned because of the thousands of lightning strikes all around the interior of Alaska. Every now and then we have a dry and early summer like this, lots of wildfires, but not as dry.

This week the day temperatures range from the 60's to the low 70's F. (15's -20's C ?), then at night it cools to the low 50's to the low 40's by the end of the week. The thunderstorms and lightning will probably continue for a while :)
For the UK yes. High 20’s. 30’s by the weekend. I’m not designed for heat. Neither is my very yellow grass.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
For the UK yes. High 20’s. 30’s by the weekend. I’m not designed for heat. Neither is my very yellow grass.
Over 30º C. is quite hot, specially in city centers where there are a lot of buildings and parking lots. Out in rural areas it is more tolerable.

While it is cooler in the interior of Alaska this week, The National Weather Service has posted a flood warning. It has been raining for the past three or four days, so all this rain plus snow melting in the mountains may cause the rivers to flood low-lying areas. The heavy rain has "somewhat quenched" some of the lightning-caused wildfires (see the dark area in the map HDFan posted above), but some river floods are expected.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’d say Welcome to Texas, but that would be unfair. Texas, the entire Southern US is used to it, however, this year instead of several months in the 80s , we move almost straight away into the 90s and 100s. Then we had a high pressure sysytem that camped out over the region which is in drought status. These temps make the region vitally dependent on showers or face calamity.

My impression is that although the UK (London) sits at approx the same latitude as Minneapolis, a decidedly Northern State, but for centuries, eons(?), the UK/Europe has benefited from the Gulf Stream, but now maybe you are getting heat you don’t want. Of note this article mentions the possibility of the Gulf Stream collapsing, possibly triggering an ice age for Europe. Would the relatively cool weather be welcomed? For extremes, I think not. 🤔

For grass I used to think Blue Grass which makes for a very pretty lawn in cool climates was heat tolerant, think of Kentucky Blue Grass, it’s hot there (Kentucky), but Blue Grass is a very thirsty grass not drought tolerant. In comparison, St. Augustine grass, and Bermuda grass which are common for Texas and the South is a very hearty hot weather grass. I love my St. Augustine, but I do water it once a week for an hour or it would not look nearly as nice.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’d say Welcome to Texas, but that would be unfair. Texas, the entire Southern US is used to it, however, this year instead of several months in the 80s , we move almost straight away into the 90s and 100s. Then we had a high pressure sysytem that camped out over the region which is in drought status. These temps make the region vitally dependent on showers or face calamity.

My impression is that although the UK (London) sits at approx the same latitude as Minneapolis, a decidedly Northern State, but for centuries, eons(?), the UK/Europe has benefited from the Gulf Stream, but now maybe you are getting heat you don’t want. Of note this article mentions the possibility of the Gulf Stream collapsing, possibly triggering an ice age for Europe. Would the relatively cool weather be welcomed? For extremes, I think not. 🤔

For grass I used to think Blue Grass which makes for a very pretty lawn in cool climates was heat tolerant, think of Kentucky Blue Grass, it’s hot there (Kentucky), but Blue Grass is a very thirsty grass not drought tolerant. In comparison, St. Augustine grass, and Bermuda grass which are common for Texas and the South is a very hearty hot weather grass. I love my St. Augustine, but I do water it once a week for an hour or it would not look nearly as nice.
We have a very serious drought here right now. Could really use the rain. I’m still watering the garden but expect a hosepipe ban to come in any day.

• Sad

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No garden because this is all I’d see when looking out the window...

View attachment 916611
Our friends in Minnesota have this problem. :)

In the last week I’ve found 2 skinks, in the house, 5 Lined I think or maybe a Brown Skink which looks very similar. I need to adjust the threshold of the front door. One was hanging out in our shady front porch Yesterday, then this morning I almost stepped on one sprawled out in the middle of our family room. The dark red wood grain of the floor kind of camouflaged it. Normally they skedaddle, but this one just laid there, spread eagle when I nudged it, so I thought it was dead, until I went to pick it up. Then it tried to wiggle away.

Easily captured, I initiated Rescue Protocol. Btw, I captured the previous skink that was in our master bath. Anyway, usually they die of dehydration in the house, at least that is my impression. I held it in my hand so it’s head stuck out, I fetched a cotton swab, dipped it in water, and deposited a drop on the side of its mouth. It swallowed! Then when I put the wet swab next to it’s mouth, it tongue came out and started lapping up the water. It was so cute! :D It was probably the warmth of my hand, but it seemed to be quite content being cradled.

20F0444C-ED39-4BB9-A757-4CBA2FF559DF.jpeg

Anyway I briefly thought about keeping it as a pet, but decided I did not want to worry about feeding it especially when we leave on trips. Although likely a shorter life in the backyard wilds, it would have a free, more intriguing life outside. And one day I’m waiting for a lizard to approach me and expect a hug… ;)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Sub-Freezing hits tonight in Houston, projected to drop to the mid teens. I had a long talk with my Elephant Ear, in a couple of days it’s going to be a big pile of mush. It understood and realized that if I cut the leaves and piles them, it would help protect the core. Similar talk with the philodendron in the front bed. It was ok with it too and it got 2 sheets. ;)

A0B475DC-702A-435A-9316-3E9C609966BA.jpeg
Before

231E89F3-34C8-494F-A1A5-5BE50D6C6B1B.jpeg
After​

Meanwhile in the kitchen got a plant party going with mostly succulents, everyone got drinks, soft music, and I think there is a game of Twister planned.

459F5328-D6FE-445E-92C9-47DF30151735.jpeg
Out back the succulents in the fairy garden are grumbling, the just got 2 large wet towels thrown on them. Look, I can’t please everyone. 🤔

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What passes as Winter is over in Houston, we had the last gasp last week where lows were in the low 30’sF, sad to see it go, too short lived for my tastes, from here smooth sailing a few months of what I would describe as our Spring tolerable weather before the harsh oven-like temps that kick in something in May. Time to get to work in the garden.

1F4719C5-856E-493F-9D3B-90F3AC7059B9.jpeg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I come from a long line of gardeners, but I think the gardening gene skipped me. I absolutely hate gardening, and working in the yard. My family loves to putter about in the garden, yet its beyond a chore for me. While I love being out doors, and in nature, growing a garden, tending to a flower bed, planting seeds and manicuring a lawn is something I hate :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.