Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I ran Copenhagen Marathon today, and my AWU 2 and Garmin both get the same time (me trying to push all buttons and the end 😉), although Apple congratulates me for doing it in 3.07.18, but the time (as recorded) is 3.12.21.
Nice job!

Reactions: Psdn

Psdn

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2021
Congratulations! Excellent result, very strong.

Any idea where this 3.07 could be from? Eg when exporting to Strava or runalyze?

Also please submit a bug report to Apple, thanks.
I looked at runalyze, but the time doesn’t fit in at all. I export all my Garmin data to runalyze, not Apple. But I would have been at same spot on Garmin/apple.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.png
    IMG_0171.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
Reactions: NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
I looked at runalyze, but the time doesn’t fit in at all. I export all my Garmin data to runalyze, not Apple. But I would have been at same spot on Garmin/apple.
Weird. Please submit a bug report.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
I ran Copenhagen Marathon today, and my AWU 2 and Garmin both get the same time (me trying to push all buttons and the end 😉), although Apple congratulates me for doing it in 3.07.18, but the time (as recorded) is 3.12.21.
Congrats on the 26.2. I love every time I find out I’m not the only nerd wearing 2 watches for races or training just to compare data afterwards.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I think you should optionally be able to change the action button from lap marking to pause and start. It’s not a huge deal, but many people don’t need laps/segments.

Agree - more options for customizing is always a great thing.

Just used the Pacer mode on the Apple Watch in yesterdays Copenhagen Marathon and it's always a great mode to keep track of your pace and overall timing compared to your goal. Also pressed the lap/segment button at the half sign, to keep track of the two splits.

quarq

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Agree - more options for customizing is always a great thing.

Just used the Pacer mode on the Apple Watch in yesterdays Copenhagen Marathon and it's always a great mode to keep track of your pace and overall timing compared to your goal. Also pressed the lap/segment button at the half sign, to keep track of the two splits.
Does it allow you to recalibrate with actual race time / actual distance in case of GPS drift ?

quarq

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Went on vacation for a week. Did one, 1hr run and ended with 80% battery and realized I forgot my charger. It would be so cool if you could charge off the back of your phone.

Anyhow, realized I wasn't going to make it through the week with 80% charge. I ended up only using it for runs and on low power mode (in Workout setting) and was able to do about 8hrs of running and came home with 4% battery. ;-) I was wishing I had a Garmin or Suunto at that point.. But, managed to pull it off.

Reactions: Psdn and xDKP

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Chiming in here as something that has both an Epix Pro and an AWU2 and hopes to rationalize to just 1 device. Also training for my 7th Ironman triathlon.

I also like some of the Garmin stats and reporting (training load & effect are 2 I like), but I actually have found compelling alternatives such as Superset Health. I've been training for my IM while wearing both for all activities & the trends on both the iOS apps such as SuperSet and Connect are extremely close. I've also found Superset gives me a good HRV trend value as well.

Honestly, I'm still not sure which I will end up keeping and which I will sell, but I'm ever so slightly leaning to the AWU2.

The primary downside, battery life, really doesn't hit me that hard as I work and train from home 95% of the time so keeping my battery charged while at my desk for 45-60 minutes a day is not a bother at all.

I absolutely love that the AWU2 heart rate data is as-good as my chest-strap (HRM Pro Plus) that I am forced to use with the Epic Pro as the OHR for the wrist does not do nearly a good enough job.

Swim HR on the AWU2 is good enough, the HRM-swim paired to the Epix Pro is definitely better, but also significantly more of a PITA to wear for swimming.

Strength training is the other place I am shocked at the AWU2 HR accuracy as so much more reliable than the OHR on the Epix Pro.

One thing I strongly prefer on the Epix Pro is the screen customization options for structured run workouts based on HR or Power Zones. On the Garmin you get a gauge visual showing you the intended range and your current as a tick mark. It's fantastic. The AWU gives you notifications & haptics, but I miss the gas gauge style indicator for target zone.
A couple weeks later and I eventually made a decision on this & kept only the AWU. Just shipped the Epix Pro off today via online sale.

Ultimately I think both are fantastic watches and would be an excellent choice for an endurance athlete / triathlete. I do disagree with the whole "Garmin is purpose built for this therefore it is a better choice" concept. It used to land, but the 3rd party App Store for watches, for fitness/health specifically, is so robust now that you can find a "purpose built" app to suit many of the needs you'd get "out of the box" from your Garmin.

If you can feel comfortable using the AWU to its full potential to meet your use case needs - which means you need to accept 3rd party apps as OK to use for your primary training/health - then the AWU can do what the Garmin can (other than battery life in between workouts - but for DURING workouts, all the way up to an Ironman, you can make do with the AWU.

it's certainly not the right choice for everyone - if you want to fiddle absolutely zero with your watch and want it to be your training tool; get a Garmin. If you want a watch that can do everything you need and don't mind treating your watch like you likely treat your phone (browse the App Store, download compelling apps) and you want the aWU benefits (cellular, no phone on run, etc); the AWU will be a great choice.

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
A couple weeks later and I eventually made a decision on this & kept only the AWU. Just shipped the Epix Pro off today via online sale.

Ultimately I think both are fantastic watches and would be an excellent choice for an endurance athlete / triathlete. I do disagree with the whole "Garmin is purpose built for this therefore it is a better choice" concept. It used to land, but the 3rd party App Store for watches, for fitness/health specifically, is so robust now that you can find a "purpose built" app to suit many of the needs you'd get "out of the box" from your Garmin.

If you can feel comfortable using the AWU to its full potential to meet your use case needs - which means you need to accept 3rd party apps as OK to use for your primary training/health - then the AWU can do what the Garmin can (other than battery life in between workouts - but for DURING workouts, all the way up to an Ironman, you can make do with the AWU.

it's certainly not the right choice for everyone - if you want to fiddle absolutely zero with your watch and want it to be your training tool; get a Garmin. If you want a watch that can do everything you need and don't mind treating your watch like you likely treat your phone (browse the App Store, download compelling apps) and you want the aWU benefits (cellular, no phone on run, etc); the AWU will be a great choice.
Very well said. IMO, they're both excellent devices. It all comes down to what works best for the individual user.

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA
Just speaking for my use case, I don't really want an extension of the phone on my wrist anymore, so I like having a watch that runs as independently from the phone as possible. IMO, I think Garmin should market the Epix, Fenix, Marq, etc., as connected watches, rather than smartwatches. As smartwatches they leave much to be desired.
Can relate with your post. I have both the Ultra 1 and Epix Pro 2. I have smart notifications turned off on my Epix as I want to be ”disconnected” from social media apps and text messages. I really love the Epix for fitness. Now for my use case I do use both watches. On weekdays - i wear both because my ultra is notifies me on emails, text messages associated to work. So my primary use case for the Ultra is to be connected to work and social but when i want to disconnect from all that and focus on fitness I only wear my Epix. Whenever I do run outside I wear both and leave my phone at home. I consider the Ultra as my iPhone mini - very compact and portable that will keep me connected for a limited time.

Zelegorm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2014
There are so many Features missing on the garmin. That’s the big issue. The other way around there is nothing missing. You need an app for several things. That’s all. But it’s there. That’s the problem with the garmin. You cannot pimp the garmin. The App Store there is literally useless.

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
Interesting… I have no running friend right now that uses AW but I think the potential is excellent. Some issue since I don’t have Ultra on battery life, I’m planning a marathon in December's and since I’m a slow I runner don’t know if my battery will last enough or if I need to change/upgrade.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Interesting… I have no running friend right now that uses AW but I think the potential is excellent. Some issue since I don’t have Ultra on battery life, I’m planning a marathon in December's and since I’m a slow I runner don’t know if my battery will last enough or if I need to change/upgrade.
Of course an Ultra is more than enough for a marathon...
You can run more than 10h with an Ultra.
I have ran a marathon with an old S5, and I am not Kipchoge
Most people exaggerate battery issues on AW, AW battery lasts more than most runners.
Except if you run Ultra trails for more than 15h (and you can do it in low power mode), an Ultra is OK.

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
For sure an Ultra is enough to last for a marathon, I was wondering if I had to make myself a special gift for my 50th birthday other than marathon inscription & trip and buy myself a new Ultra (or Garmin? But I like too much the smart functions and ecosystem of AW) or try to run it with my AW6… right now battery is 91% and was 100% in September 2023. A linear projection should be around 84% in December. Don’t know if it’s enough. Maybe with power saving mode. But I like to have a fast glance with AOD.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
For sure an Ultra is enough to last for a marathon, I was wondering if I had to make myself a special gift for my 50th birthday other than marathon inscription & trip and buy myself a new Ultra (or Garmin? But I like too much the smart functions and ecosystem of AW) or try to run it with my AW6… right now battery is 91% and was 100% in September 2023. A linear projection should be around 84% in December. Don’t know if it’s enough. Maybe with power saving mode. But I like to have a fast glance with AOD.
It depends how long you need to run a marathon :D

• Haha
Reactions: cubodado

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
Let’s say I need 4h45’ of active app time, even if I plan on doing something better. LTE is useless abroad, so this is out of question. A doubt is if it’s better to use a cardio chest strap or watch for HR (I have it), I find the watch information quite reliable and more comfortable, comfort is important in such race.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
4h45 is probably feasible with your current watch if you don't enable LTE while running and start at 100%
Tou can also have a big win if you disable AOD.
Cardio is not eating a lot, I am not sure a BT connection to external cardio is better.

Reactions: cubodado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.