Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
This post is ridiculous for many reasons, but especially because the iPhone 14 is supposed to keep the notch. It's the Pro models that are getting the cutout instead.

Reactions: John dosh

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
While Apple is getting rid off the notch in iPhones they just added it to MacBooks for absolutely no good or technical reason. This is either monumental stupidity or a brilliant marketing move by pissing off people and then making them happy.
It gives you more screen real estate. It’s an extremely good reason.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Aren't we only about 4~6 weeks away from an Apple Event for the release of the iPhone 14 yet the rumors have been pretty rare of late. I can't even find a waiting for iPhone 14 series thread on MRs. I wasn't going to upgrade, but I've found my 13 PM so... adequate but uninspiring. The battery life is good, but if they mostly get rid of the crappy notch and improve the cameras then I think I'm going to upgrade. The notch annoys me constantly on the iPhone, yet on my Mac I have zero issues with it. It's just the different use cases.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
While Apple is getting rid off the notch in iPhones they just added it to MacBooks for absolutely no good or technical reason.
The Notch does provide a technical improvement for the MBPs. It actually gives more screen real estate. The M1 MBP has a bigger screen area than the previous Intel 16 due to the screen moving up into the horizontal of the isight camera or whatever they call it. for the vast majority of users it's actually invisible.

Because a mac uses a toolbar, that new space is extremely well utilised and we now get the entire 16inch screen for work. BUT on an iPhone, that space is not utilised as well. I mean, we can't even get a battery percentage in there! And yes, it's technically more screen real estate compared to previous models, but when you're watching anything or even if you play games, the notch is extremely annoying. In saying that I do like Face ID a lot. But if Apple put Touch ID in the the On Off switch like on an iPad, I think many people would have been happier.

Reactions: LinusR

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
It gives you more screen real estate. It’s an extremely good reason.
It’s only camera there. It doesn’t need to be this huge. They could comfortably fit it in a bezel just like others.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
The Notch does provide a technical improvement for the MBPs. It actually gives more screen real estate. The M1 MBP has a bigger screen area than the previous Intel 16 due to the screen moving up into the horizontal of the isight camera or whatever they call it. for the vast majority of users it's actually invisible.

Because a mac uses a toolbar, that new space is extremely well utilised and we now get the entire 16inch screen for work. BUT on an iPhone, that space is not utilised as well. I mean, we can't even get a battery percentage in there! And yes, it's technically more screen real estate compared to previous models, but when you're watching anything or even if you play games, the notch is extremely annoying. In saying that I do like Face ID a lot. But if Apple put Touch ID in the the On Off switch like on an iPad, I think many people would have been happier.
It certainly isn’t a great thing. There’s no Face ID in there to justify it it’s just a tiny camera and light sensor just like in every other MacBook. They could hide the camera in the bezel and make it even smaller. Look at other notebooks and how small bezel they have and there’s camera too. Don’t be so soft on Apple.

Reactions: Barbareren

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
It certainly isn’t a great thing. There’s no Face ID in there to justify it it’s just a tiny camera and light sensor just like in every other MacBook. They could hide the camera in the bezel and make it even smaller. Look at other notebooks and how small bezel they have and there’s camera too. Don’t be so soft on Apple.
Hey, I hate the notch on the iPhone. But not on the Mac. And I'm plenty critical of Apple for various things. Re Face ID in it, as others have pointed out it's not possible atm due to the thickness of that module and the thinness of the lid.

As for other notebooks, What are the trade offs for that? Inferior camera? Thicker depth on the lid? Who knows. The M1 MBP is already too thick for my liking.

As it stands, I have a 16" M1 and use a dark background and I simply can't remember the last time I actually saw it. And the task bar resides in that area next to the camera. You're not losing any space. You are gaining. Even thinner bezels with the camera in that bezel probably won't be as much screen as what we have now due to the task bar residing in the Notch area. You may get a bit more screen real estate in full screen but you def wouldn't in standard desk top usage. And the size of the full use area is 16" perfectly.

Reactions: LinusR

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Hey, I hate the notch on the iPhone. But not on the Mac. And I'm plenty critical of Apple for various things. Re Face ID in it, as others have pointed out it's not possible atm due to the thickness of that module and the thinness of the lid.

As for other notebooks, What are the trade offs for that? Inferior camera? Thicker depth on the lid? Who knows. The M1 MBP is already too thick for my liking.

As it stands, I have a 16" M1 and use a dark background and I simply can't remember the last time I actually saw it. And the task bar resides in that area next to the camera. You're not losing any space. You are gaining. Even thinner bezels with the camera in that bezel probably won't be as much screen as what we have now due to the task bar residing in the Notch area. You may get a bit more screen real estate in full screen but you def wouldn't in standard desk top usage. And the size of the full use area is 16" perfectly.
What could I say to you on this. I’m happy that you’re happy. And that’s the main thing. But I’m not happy with it.

Reactions: arkitect

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
What could I say to you on this. I’m happy that you’re happy. And that’s the main thing. But I’m not happy with it.
Fair enough, but it sounds like you've never used a M1/2 mac with a notch. If you had, you'd realise that it's a non issue. It's certainly not a deal breaker.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
Being that Apple is not suddenly ditching front-facing FaceID, the total difference in display real-estate between 13 Pro and 14 Pro will be very underwhelming.

It's definitely no reason to upgrade. When Apple does FaceID that's as small as the non-FaceID cutouts on competing smartphones, or does under-display FaceID, then there's maybe a solid reason to upgrade.

.. Aaand then still. Even with under-display FaceID, as difficult as it is to pull of, it's still just an iPhone. 🤷‍♂️

We need to stop jumping on these hype trains for such minor upgrades.

A car from Apple or Apple VR (AR?), those are new products and much more worthy of hype.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Anyone who personally judges me positively or negatively depending on what tech I'm using is probably not a person I'd want to spend any amount of time with.

You don’t want to hang around with immature, materialistic fashionistas?

I’m with you there, but then most of the friends and colleagues I know keep phones for ages anyway lol.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
This thread title should be changed to specifically reference the pro, as it’s likely the standard 14 will have a notch and so none of this applies

I do get the sentiment though, yes I know nobody supposedly cares what phone you have but there is something satisfying about having the latest model, especially when there is a significant design change such as bezels to notch, or from notch to pill. It’s nice to have the latest tech, in the same way that it’s nice to have a nice car

When the X came out it was a huge deal, and seeing one in the wild was quite a big deal for a while let alone owing one. Sadly I did not have an X, with my first notched iPhone being the XR. But this time I am very tempted to upgrade from an iPhone 13 to 14 Pro, for these reasons, even though it is totally unnecessary

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
When the X came out it was a huge deal, and seeing one in the wild was quite a big deal for a while let alone owing one. Sadly I did not have an X, with my first notched iPhone being the XR. But this time I am very tempted to upgrade from an iPhone 13 to 14 Pro, for these reasons, even though it is totally unnecessary
The X wasn’t really as big a deal as say the iPhone 6 where I’m from. I think a big buzzkill for the X was the new £999 price point and to this day the cheaper iPhones remain more popular and desirable to the mainstream iPhone user. I opted for the 8+ back then as it was essentially the same phone minus the FaceID and OLED screen but performed as well and had a much better battery. The X for me was a bit mediocre whereas the iPhone 6/6+ remains the most popular launch to date.

I can’t see those days ever returning though as smartphone technology has slowed down since 2015. People keep devices much longer than they used to and we’ve had 3/4 of a decade with incremental updates. It’s nice having a new phone, sure, but the buzz and excitement hasn’t been the same for years now. Remember the old days when you’d have a new phone and people in the office would be genuinely excited to see what you got? Doesn’t happen these days as smartphones are just a mature product all round.

Reactions: Glideslope

Azzurro

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2015
Milan
and just like that I will buy the 14. :p
But seriously I am upgrading from my 12 mini which broke recently.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Fair enough, but it sounds like you've never used a M1/2 mac with a notch. If you had, you'd realise that it's a non issue. It's certainly not a deal breaker.
I have a notch on my iPhone. It's not an issue. It's offensive from the design point of view though. And that's my point. And on Macs it's not necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.