Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Yes, that is correct. Ok, I will look at using OCLP to create the bootable USB. Not a big deal, will look into the instructions for this. But from a high level perspective, does this work flow look correct?

Q1) Since I am installing Monterey using a non-metal card (I believe that the GT120 is non metal), will that create any issues during the installation or will the UI just respond slowly?

Edit:
For 2a, I am installing OpenCore on the bootable USB that Monterey was installed onto. For step 2, Monterey will be installed on a bootable USB. I apologize for any confusion. After step 1, everything will be done on the GT120 and the OS will be Mojave
You do need a metal graphics card to install Mojave and beyond.

Reactions: philm001

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
One thing that is a little confusing with the guides is that alot of them say that I need a metal capable card to do the installation. For example, the Mojava update. I may need to do a clean install (again, I am not sure what method I took to update the firmware to 5.1 so it sounds like it is better for me to do a clean install to be safe)

However, in order to install Mojava, I need a metal GPU. Only issue is that the Metal GPU I have, the RX580, does not provide the boot screen. So I need to use my GT120. Next issue, the GT120 is not Metal compatible.

There seems to be a dilemma that I need resolved.

Can't use the RX580 becuase I won't get the boot menu.
So I do I use the GT120 to do a clean install Mojava if it is not compatible with Metal?
If I need the RX580 to install, how do I do the clean install if I am unable to see the boot menu?

So how do I resolve this dilemma?

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Or should I install the opencore on the mojava installation so that I can get the boot menu with the RX580

retlif

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2020
I have installed Mojave many times using an ATI Radeon HD 5770 which is not Metal compatible.

On RX580 and similar you don't get a boot screen but OS X installer GUI will run normally - you just have to wait long enough and have only one monitor connected

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
I have installed Mojave many times using an ATI Radeon HD 5770 which is not Metal compatible.

On RX580 and similar you don't get a boot screen but OS X installer GUI will run normally - you just have to wait long enough and have only one monitor connected
Go back and read the Mojave BootROM post (see my post #2 in this thread). It walks through the various scenarios. If I recall you can update the BootROM and install Mojave with a Metal compatible card without a boot screen.

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
So I just checked my mac pro and I have space for 2 GPUs. Can I have my RX580 installed along with the GT120 to get the boot menu?

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018

So for this scenario, if I create a bootable Mojave flash drive and stick it into the Mac, will it choose the USB drive? Or should I go into the Mac startup disk properties and select that I want the USB drive to be the boot disk?

When I am finished and unplug the USB drive, will Mac automatically boot into my working drive even though the USB was selected as the start disk? I am assuming yes it will but I know that Macs are much more delicate then PC

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
So how do I handle this case:

Hacked installs note:

If you did a hacked install, like dosdude one, you will probably need to do a clean install to upgrade your firmware.

Only the full Mac App Store installers work for upgrading the firmware, macOS installers patched with dosdude tool can't upgrade the firmware. Apple firmware upgrade tool needs a clean and standard EFI partition to do so, so you probably need to do a clean install before trying to upgrade the firmware if you used a hacked install.

I am asking becuase I am not sure what method I used to get 5.1. So I think a clean install is the best way to go

Last edited:

retlif

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2020
Go back and read the Mojave BootROM post (see my post #2 in this thread).

I think I got confused :)

If you are on High Sierra and you don't have 144.0.0.0.0 then just run the Mojave installer with a compatible Metal card and then install the system. It is best to run the installer from High Sierra...

One more thing: a mouse and keyboard on a cable can be very helpful

Last edited:
Reactions: Melbourne Park

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Go back and read the Mojave BootROM post (see my post #2 in this thread). It walks through the various scenarios. If I recall you can update the BootROM and install Mojave with a Metal compatible card without a boot screen.

I think I got confused :)

If you are on High Sierra and you don't have 144.0.0.0.0 then just run the Mojave installer with a compatible Metal card and then install the system. It is best to run the installer from High Sierra...
Hahah, I so sorry everyone. I really appreciate all of the work here and everyone taking their time.

It is just that I know Macs are very delicate and so many pitholes that one wrong move and the machine is bricked.

I read this on the guide:

Hacked installs note:

If you did a hacked install, like dosdude one, you will probably need to do a clean install to upgrade your firmware.

Only the full Mac App Store installers work for upgrading the firmware, macOS installers patched with dosdude tool can't upgrade the firmware. Apple firmware upgrade tool needs a clean and standard EFI partition to do so, so you probably need to do a clean install before trying to upgrade the firmware if you used a hacked install.

And this has me worried becuase I am not sure how I updated the firmware to 5.1. So I am thinking that I need to do a clean install. Or does this not matter?

retlif

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2020
So how do I handle this case:

Hacked installs note:

Is this case relevant? Did you install High Sierra using the dosdude's package?

retlif

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2020
tsialex's quote: "... you have first to upgrade your BootROM to version MP51.0089.B00 and to High Sierra 10.13.6, then you can install a Metal capable GPU* that works with High Sierra and finally you can upgrade your firmware and install Mojave."

So... Just insert your Metal compatible card and install Mojave. After installation you will have new boot ROM and then you can start with Open Core.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
My boot ROM version is MP51.0089.800
My SMC version is 1.39f5
You already have the most recent High Sierra BootROM, so, just install the METAL supported GPU, download Mojave and open it to upgrade the firmware, you won't even need to install it.

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Ok, Great! Thank you everyone. I apologize for the long post here. Will upgrade and let everyone know how it goes!

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
You already have the most recent High Sierra BootROM, so, just install the METAL supported GPU, download Mojave and open it to upgrade the firmware, you won't even need to install it.

I'm yet to go to Opencore hence my interest here.

But with booting via Opencore - if something goes wrong, and the Mac is set to boot via Opencore, can you remove your drives, put in a Mojave booting drive, thereby having only one drive in the Mac, and then, will the Mac boot into Mojave? Hence being able to leave one's non boot screen metal graphics card still in the Mac?

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
So from High seirra, can I go directly to Monterey? Once I get the firmware update.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm yet to go to Opencore hence my interest here.

But with booting via Opencore - if something goes wrong, and the Mac is set to boot via Opencore, can you remove your drives, put in a Mojave booting drive, thereby having only one drive in the Mac, and then, will the Mac boot into Mojave? Hence being able to leave one's non boot screen metal graphics card still in the Mac?
Yes for both questions.

So from High seirra, can I go directly to Monterey? Once I get the firmware update.
I wouldn't do it. Install Mojave to a small disk so you can have a rescue disk to correct any problems. Mojave is a lot better than High Sierra for this job.

Don't go to Monterey, it's a moving target and you will have trouble with USB 1.0 devices and if you still haven't upgraded the original AirPort Extreme, you won't have Wi-Fi or BT (both problems also happen with Big Sur).

Big Sur is fast, stable and works fine with a Mac Pro with upgraded AirPort Extreme BCM94360. Also, since Big Sur now is only on maintenance support/Security Updates, you won't have Software Upgrades every two weeks like with Monterey.

Last thing, what is needed to upgrade to Big Sur is now consolidated, while for Monterey every new release is a different challenge.

Reactions: Melbourne Park

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Yes for both questions.

I wouldn't do it. Install Mojave to a small disk so you can have a rescue disk to correct any problems. Mojave is a lot better than High Sierra for this job.

Don't go to Monterey, it's a moving target and you will have trouble with USB 1.0 devices and if you still haven't upgraded the original AirPort Extreme, you won't have Wi-Fi or BT (both problems also happen with Big Sur).

Big Sur is fast, stable and works fine with a Mac Pro with upgraded AirPort Extreme BCM94360. Also, since Big Sur now is only on maintenance support/Security Updates, you won't have Software Upgrades every two weeks like with Monterey.

Last thing, what is needed to upgrade to Big Sur is now consolidated, while for Monterey every new release is a different challenge.
That is not good. I don't think that I upgraded the Airport. Will need to check. Will OS Cataline still work with it?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
That is not good. I don't think that I upgraded the Airport. Will need to check. Will OS Cataline still work with it?
No.
  • AirPort Extreme BCM94321MC (usual card for early-2009, but some/most early-2009s made in 2010 already have the BCM94322MC) works up to Sierra.
  • AirPort Extreme BCM94322MC (usual card for mid-2010/mid-2012) works up to Mojave.

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
No.
  • AirPort Extreme BCM94321MC (usual card for early-2009, but some/most early-2009s made in 2010 already have the BCM94322MC) works up to Sierra.
  • AirPort Extreme BCM94322MC (usual card for mid-2010/mid-2012) works up to Mojave.
Ok, that is good to know

So for Mojava, I should be able to install it from the applications folder. No need to make a bootable usb or anything special. Jsut run the full installer and I will be good to go.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if I understood this correctly, but this thread also reported that its possible to get a boot screen, by leaving in the metal card (Like an RX 580), along with the non metal (ie 120) card in a slot ... but do not connect the non metal card to a monitor ... evidently one would see the boot choices even with an unflashed metal card. I think ...

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018

I'm not sure if I understood this correctly, but this thread also reported that its possible to get a boot screen, by leaving in the metal card (Like an RX 580), along with the non metal (ie 120) card in a slot ... but do not connect the non metal card to a monitor ... evidently one would see the boot choices even with an unflashed metal card. I think ...
Awesome, looks like this was found out in the last year. I remember back in 2018, it was you cannot have 2 cards in there.

Anyways, can anyone confirm this as working?

This is very good to know for the future

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.