Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Awesome, looks like this was found out in the last year. I remember back in 2018, it was you cannot have 2 cards in there.

Once again - a warning - I am very very far from an expert.

From my reading a couple of years ago, Apple had an intention for two GPUs. The later 6,1 featured two after all. Some videographers made substantial claims about how well two RX 480 would operate Final Cut. The 480's having an advantage in being narrow and reasonably well performed (much the same available as an RX 580 if one updated them). Power supply issues of course with two cards ...

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I'm not sure if I understood this correctly, but this thread also reported that its possible to get a boot screen, by leaving in the metal card (Like an RX 580), along with the non metal (ie 120) card in a slot ... but do not connect the non metal card to a monitor ... evidently one would see the boot choices even with an unflashed metal card. I think ...

For Mojave (and up) 2 different GPUs installed are not supported.
If you'd like to install 2 GPUs you'll have to install 2 exactly identical GPUs (even identical ROM versions).

A Metal GPU is a requirement to install Mojave , however in case of emergency/troubleshooting one can install the GT120 to get a bootscreen (with an already installed and working Mojave).
In real life this setup is unusable because the GPU will be unaccelerated.

I'm not sure what the goal was of the person in the link you posted , but to avoid some headache, I'd not try to install a GT120 and a RX 580.
Note that this was back in mid 2020 , by now to get a bootscreen the most popular choice by far is to install OpenCore.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Last macOS release to support dissimilar GPUs is High Sierra. Mojave and anything newer don't support a GT120 + RX 580.

Lot's of people tried this, seems to work fine initially, people post that works, then some days later after more testing comeback writing that crazy crashes happen frequently.

Reactions: KeesMacPro

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Last macOS release to support dissimilar GPUs is High Sierra. Mojave and anything newer don't support a GT120 + RX 580.

Lot's of people tried this, seems to work fine initially, people post that works, then some days later after more testing comeback writing that crazy crashes happen frequently.
That is fine, I just want to be able to see boot screen and install OS so just for the installation part, sounds like it will work just fine. After that, remove it

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
That is fine, I just want to be able to see boot screen and install OS so just for the installation part, sounds like it will work just fine. After that, remove it
OpenCore, and OCLP, already provide pre-boot configuration support for all modern UEFI GOP GPUs and it's not really useful to have a GT120 for macOS installs anymore.

If you didn't bought your RX 580 from the used market, mining GPU have the UEFI GOP disabled, it's a UEFI GOP one.

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
OpenCore, and OCLP, already provide pre-boot configuration support for all modern UEFI GOP GPUs and it's not really useful to have a GT120 for macOS installs anymore.

If you didn't bought your RX 580 from the used market, mining GPU have the UEFI GOP disabled, it's a UEFI GOP one.
Ok, well until I have Opencore installed, I can use a dual GPU to get to the bootmenu and install OS beyond Mojave. I bought the RX580 new

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Ok so today is the day that I am upgrading to Mojava.

A pop up came up and says that I need to reset and hold the power button and the installation will continue. Will I be able to see the progress and the installation as it is installing?

I thought that I can install everything from the desktop.

Last edited:

retlif

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2020
You will not see the apple logo when you start your computer. During a firmware update the computer will reboot one (or two? - I can't remember) more times. You have to wait until the normal OS X installer GUI appears, then you will see the installation progress.

As I wrote above you may also need a wired mouse/keyboard.

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Ok, no problem, just wanted to make sure everything is safe. I currently have the wired keyboard and mouse plugged in

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Alrighty good news, I was able to successfully update the firmware to 144!

Something to note is that it took me back to the High Sierra desktop and I had to re-run the installer to continue Mojave

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Ok so the computer did a pre-initiial install on the OS and then rebooted. Now it is at a black screen and been there (monitors off) for about 5-10 minutes

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Alright, will give it until 1:30 EST and see how it goes
It can take quite a long time (I would give it at least an hour) - you won't see anything until you get to the login screen after the install. You might have at least one reboot as well.

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
It can take quite a long time (I would give it at least an hour) - you won't see anything until you get to the login screen after the install. You might have at least one reboot as well.
Ok, will do, was just about to reply and then I saw your message. 30 minutes in and still black screen.. fingers crossed. I really don't like seeing the screen, it is a little nerve wracking

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
No.
  • AirPort Extreme BCM94321MC (usual card for early-2009, but some/most early-2009s made in 2010 already have the BCM94322MC) works up to Sierra.
  • AirPort Extreme BCM94322MC (usual card for mid-2010/mid-2012) works up to Mojave.
Is there anyway that I can place a WIFI/Bluetooth card into the mac pro to get it working beyond Mojave?

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Ok, I think that I found the right one! Before I buy, I am pretty sure that this will work to get me beyond Mojave:

Just to confirm, this card will work beyond the Mojave?

Last edited:

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Now that I am thinking about it, do I have to use the BCM94360CD chip? Is there a chip for Mac pros that can get me WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5?

retlif

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2020
I think it's called mac mini M1 - besides BT5 and wifi6 it also offers great CPU performance ;)

retlif

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2020
I don't know honestly. People upgrade Amiga all the time so I wouldn't be so sure

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.