Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JosephBergdoll

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
NYC
Hey Patriks7, ya I think I'm pretty set on the D60, I can get it at a great price wit a bunch of other accessories (and I get the 55-200mm lens as well). I posted a link to it on the previous page. I went in and held a couple different models and I really like the D60, it's the perfect size of me and I think it will be an excellent camera. I know what you mean as far as if you buy from that company you most likely will only refer that company :) Anyways, I love the D60's size and weight. I'm hoping to purchase it in a couple weeks (hopefully sooner than 2 :D) and I'll post some pics one I do get it. Thank you guys for the suggestions and recommendations!
At least get a D90 so you're not limited to AF-S lenses... don't support manufacturers selling pre-crippled cameras.

thunderweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Bend OR
I would be willing to buy the D90 if I had an extra couple hundred dollars but I don't. I think the D60 will be perfectly fine for my needs. I understand the problem with the AF-S lenses but I don't have the extra $300 + to spend. I can get the D60 outfitted the way I want it for $750.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
Well, I think that's a great choice! I love my D80 and I'm sure you will love the D60. I was torn between the Pentax K10D and the D80, but it ended up coming down to which one felt better in my hand. The D80 won by a longshot. Just make sure you are comfortable with the D60, and you will not regret it!

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I'd stay far away from the D60. You're closing yourself off to a lot of great Nikon lenses by choosing it, assuming you want autofocus with them.

thunderweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Bend OR
^ You have to keep in mind that I am just starting out, after I buy the camera I don't plan on buying lenses for awhile because of the cost of them. If I get to the point that I absolutely need the other lens options that aren't compatible with the D60 I will upgrade to a D90 or something.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I would be willing to buy the D90 if I had an extra couple hundred dollars but I don't. I think the D60 will be perfectly fine for my needs. I understand the problem with the AF-S lenses but I don't have the extra $300 + to spend. I can get the D60 outfitted the way I want it for $750.

I was in the exact same situation as you. I would have loved the D90 but couldn't afford it.
I went for the D40, for me there wasn't enough difference to justify springing the extra money for the D60. I got the double lens kit, (18-55 and 55-200) and they aren't great lenses, but are far from bad. I'm also planning on getting the new 35mm f1.8 prime soon. ($200 on amazon.)
All of these lenses are afs-s so the lack of autofocus doesn't bother me.
The camera is light, small and is very good. Also as the D5000 has just come out, you can pick them up for 'next to nothing' ($430 on amazon, but I'm sure you can find it cheaper, try ebay even.)

I know it isn't a D300, but if you can't take good photos with it, then it ain't the camera. It is very capable.

Save the money, buy the lens and in a couple of years when you fully understand how to work it, buy the replacement for the D90. (This is my plan anyway ymmv.)

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
^ You have to keep in mind that I am just starting out, after I buy the camera I don't plan on buying lenses for awhile because of the cost of them. If I get to the point that I absolutely need the other lens options that aren't compatible with the D60 I will upgrade to a D90 or something.

That's just it, though. With a D50/80/90, you can use good older glass that used to command high prices and now is cheap. There was a lot of AF-D glass made, and some of it was professional. It can be had for pretty good prices now in some cases.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I had an XTi and to be honest, they're like glorified point and shoots. The big screen always being on is a battery killer, they have no ISO 3200 capability, no spot metering, and the TINY grip and small plastic body make the camera feel like the toy that it really is.

What do you want for an entry-level camera, a titanium body? If one has big hands, then one should get a big camera or something like that. That said, some photographers do wonders with relatively cheap cameras.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
...I think I'm pretty set on the D60, I can get it at a great price wit a bunch of other accessories (and I get the 55-200mm lens as well). I posted a link to it on the previous page. I went in and held a couple different models and I really like the D60, it's the perfect size of me and I think it will be an excellent camera.

I got a similar kit around Christmas and I'm really happy with my D60. (Of course, everyone's happy with the camera they get. :D) I haven't found the lack of a focus motor to be a big problem. Nikon seems to be moving to improve their AF-S offerings, so it seems likely to be less and less a limitation. (I've also now got the AF-S 50 mm f/1.4 lens.)

It's nice to have a couple of lenses to chose from when you get a kit like this, as you'll get a good idea of what range you'll like when you do start to upgrade. Myself, I rarely use the 55-200, so if I had to do it all over again I'd get a body, a wide-angle zoom, and some primes for portraits. Of course, it's only after playing around with the kit lenses that I had any idea what I "really" want, so I'm still glad I did get the 55-200 at the outset.

DeepCobalt

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Over and around
@thunderweb

I would seriously consider the D40 if you are leaning towards the D60. The D60 is worse for low-light shooting conditions (same size sensor as the D40 but more pixels--hence, more light needed). D40's base ISO = 200, D60's base ISO = 100. Also the D60 has a slower maximum shutter speed than the D40. The D60 is basically a more expensive version of the D40 but with some limitations and more megapixels to justify the higher price.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The D60 is worse for low-light shooting conditions (same size sensor as the D40 but more pixels--hence, more light needed). D40's base ISO = 200, D60's base ISO = 100.

You know, I've seen this assertion a couple of times and it confuses me. I can buy that the D40's sensor makes it better in ISO sensitivity when compared to the D60's larger denser sensor. But why would having a higher base ISO be an advantage? Wouldn't having an ISO100 setting on the D40 be a good thing?

ft

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
^^ Trust me I am an EXTREMELY analytical person. I didn't just read one random review that told me to buy this certain camera. I have read quite a few and I have gone in and held them as well. I just am more comfortable with the Nikon.

I said "that poster", not "the OP".

DeepCobalt

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Over and around
You know, I've seen this assertion a couple of times and it confuses me. I can buy that the D40's sensor makes it better in ISO sensitivity when compared to the D60's larger denser sensor. But why would having a higher base ISO be an advantage? Wouldn't having an ISO100 setting on the D40 be a good thing?

ft

My understanding is that the base ISO of 200 implies that the sensor natively captures light at that level, so better lower lighting results are achievable. It can do this because it has larger pixels (it is only 6.1 MP).

thunderweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Bend OR
Ok, I went and and tried out a D90 today. They didn't have any when I went in last tim. I am now sold, I'm going to take the time to save extra $400. It just is the best feeling camera and I love everything about it (I spent 45 min in Best Buy playing around with it :D). So I'll post pictures once I get it (hopefully not more than a month from now). Thanks for all the advice guys.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
Ok, I went and and tried out a D90 today. They didn't have any when I went in last tim. I am now sold, I'm going to take the time to save extra $400. It just is the best feeling camera and I love everything about it (I spent 45 min in Best Buy playing around with it :D). So I'll post pictures once I get it (hopefully not more than a month from now). Thanks for all the advice guys.

Great idea to go try it out. I ended up basing my decision on how the camera felt in my hand, and that's something you can decide in person! You'll love the camera, it will be well worth the wait!

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Do you guys know if Nikon makes like a 18-80mm VR lens? I think that's the size that would be perfect for me. If I could get that lens fairly inexpensive I would probably buy a D60 body if it was a good price or just go with the D40.

There is also a 18-70mm vr for around $350

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Awesome! Glad you like the feel of the Nikon cameras as much as I do. You'll definitely love the D90 as I just recently acquired that.

You'll certainly enjoy some nice features that no other brands currently provides for the price, such as better metering (420 segment), 3d tracking AF, scene recognition system (analyze 30,000 images for accurate exposure), wireless flash (Nikon CLS) with built in commander mode, all from the flagship D3.

dL

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I ordered a D40 from Amazon (with 18-55mm kit lens). Estimated delivery is tomorrow. I'll let you know how it is.

Ken Rockwell also recommends the D40 over the D60 (sort of). I'd recommend taking a look at his site. He basically says that the camera doesn't matter all that much.

Considering the feature differences (or lack thereof) between the D40 and D60, and the additional money that could be used on lenses, I thought the D40 was a good choice.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I ordered a D40 from Amazon (with 18-55mm kit lens). Estimated delivery is tomorrow. I'll let you know how it is.

Ken Rockwell also recommends the D40 over the D60 (sort of). I'd recommend taking a look at his site. He basically says that the camera doesn't matter all that much.

Considering the feature differences (or lack thereof) between the D40 and D60, and the additional money that could be used on lenses, I thought the D40 was a good choice.

dpreview.com more or less says the same....

Go for the Nikon ED lenses -very, very nice (I rented one over the weekend - pics posted in Photo of the Day).

Take some pics and post them, please. We'd like to see how it goes for you!

Eyedn

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Sorry to "Jack" the thread but does anyone have any experience using the Canon 1000D? This would be my first camera.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.