Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
discoforce said:
My $.02: It's always better to buy locally at a brick and mortar store (no, big box stores don't count - 99% of their money leaves town ASAP). There's always a cost associated with "cheaper" items, and whether that money is coming from loss of service, or loss of jobs, it comes from someone. [/soapbox]

We have the opposite situation here in NYC. The smaller shops are more likely to sell grey goods or are not authorised resellers. From past experience, I feel safer buying from B&H or Adorama. Plus I've found the service at both of these stores very good, though I would never expect good service at B&H on a Sunday.
Even J&R has good service and, best of all, they price match.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
beatzfreak said:
We have the opposite situation here in NYC. The smaller shops are more likely to sell grey goods or are not authorised resellers. From past experience, I feel safer buying from B&H or Adorama. Plus I've found the service at both of these stores very good, though I would never expect good service at B&H on a Sunday.

For you then, B&H IS your local store.... and yes, B&H definitely has an excellent reputation, regardless if one is buying in the store itself or is ordering from online. If I'm ever in NYC again I'm going to make it a point to visit B&H just to see what the place looks like, as through the years I've heard so much about it from people online....

I think what was meant by "big box stores" is something like the national chains: Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Micro Center, etc. In my area, for instance, I've got more choices than most, since I"m in the suburbs of Washington, DC. We've got the "big box stores," and, well, frankly, if I'm buying a camera I'd rather buy it, even a P&S, from a store in which cameras and photography are the specialty rather than just another department within the store with "x" amount of inventory. I also tend not to go to places like Ritz, although obviously they are a camera shop, because unless I'm just running in to grab something quickly like an accessory of some sort, I am not confident that the store personnel are going to be that knowledgeable about the camera gear that they sell, especially the more professional stuff.

That said, if I had already read reviews or had talked to others and had a good idea of which P&S I wanted, then I'd go in to Ritz and get it there if for some reason I were unable to get to a full service camera shop. I still prefer to buy more professional-level gear from a shop which specializes in it and in which I know all the store personnel are very well versed in their merchandise. Many of them have been photographers for years and they, too, experience the same joys and frustrations of photography so that there is a level of understanding there beyond the simple which camera model is best.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Clix Pix said:
For you then, B&H IS your local store....

My thought exactly.

Clix Pix said:
I think what was meant by "big box stores" is something like the national chains: Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Micro Center, etc.

That's definitely what I was referring to. I've been to B&H in person and it was an amazing store to browse. Very professional and helpful, but I live too far away to go back for questions/support.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
beatzfreak said:

But you do have great small shops like Photovillage that are authorized for most major brands.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Chip NoVaMac said:
But you do have great small shops like Photovillage that are authorized for most major brands.

Never heard of them. I'll look them up.
Sounds like a good place to go for lenses, which is really where I need the expertise.

Thanks!!!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Hoef said:
You work in one of the finest photo shops in Virginia. Never met you in person in the store but visited many times when I lived there. Does anyone have a recommendation for a great camera store in Houston?

I made a personal inquiry to my GM about your situation. He made some calls and found Houston Camera Exchange. It was suggested that you ask for Abbey or Jason. If you have any issues, let them know that you were refereed by Penn Camera and at least one other major manufacturer.

Would hope that you would continue to buy from Penn Camera, but we realize sometimes you still want to touch and feel the merch.

I and all the rest in Vienna thank you for the love and support. And in the end we are here still to help you.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
dogbone said:
I'd purchase from http://www.d-d-photographics.com they import themselves and were way cheaper than anyone else. Fast, reliable, honest. Fully covered by normal warrantees. Unfortunately for some, they only deal with quality cameras so rebel xt's are out of the equation. (runs away)

I will focus on just Canon and Nikon at this point. Nikon U requires proof of US purchase for warranty repairs. Canon does not seem to have the same limits.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Chip NoVaMac said:
I will focus on just Canon and Nikon at this point. Nikon U requires proof of US purchase for warranty repairs. Canon does not seem to have the same limits.

I was only referring to buying in Australia, and yes Nikon does require that the camera was purchased in Australia, regardless of who imported it. Don't know about Canon policy here.

Wes Jordan

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
Chip NoVaMac said:
I made a personal inquiry to my GM about your situation. He made some calls and found Houston Camera Exchange. It was suggested that you ask for Abbey or Jason. If you have any issues, let them know that you were refereed by Penn Camera and at least one other major manufacturer.

Would hope that you would continue to buy from Penn Camera, but we realize sometimes you still want to touch and feel the merch.

I and all the rest in Vienna thank you for the love and support. And in the end we are here still to help you.

I live in Louisiana and I have heard nothing but good reviews about HCE. A friend just went to Houston and of course bought some gear at HCE while she was there.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
One call is a brick and mortar store in Spokane, WA that went on-line awhile back (for several decades it was an appliance/electronic store). I've purchased stereo equipment from them and been very happy. Through May 1, they are advertising a call special - cheaper prices on some items when you call.

Another place is roberts imaging, http://www.robertsimaging.com. Folks on the Canon forums at photography-on-the.net have said some very good things about them and gotten some very good prices calling in (had the 30D with $150 off the $1399 even on day one when there was more demand than immediate supply). Again, another brick and mortar store in Indiana with equipment rentals, clinics, etc. People on POTN have raved about the fantastic customer service they've gotten there. Roberts apparently has list prices on the web site and discounted prices only when you call or come-in. This was the place that had the 30D for something of a discount when it came out, but as a few folks on that forum noted, only when you called.

I've used B&H, but found that their prices usually aren't much discounted and the customer service is okay, but nothing to rave about. Someone on this forum was helpful in helping me find a list of current B&H discounts which don't come up in the on-line prices unless you do a search of the site for "psmar" I think it was.

My Canon 30D is from my local non-chain shop (as opposed to a local Ritz). Most places had the 30D for list and they did too. The customer service there is really nothing to write home about - in fact, it's hard to really even identify it. With one of the guys there, you get the sense that he is actually annoyed that people come in to buy things. They have a no return policy (store exchange) and they don't even keep up with manufacturer cost reductions. They have lenses in there that have dropped in MSRP by more than a $100 that are still at the original price. One example in the last year was a lense they wanted around $700 that was by then selling for closer to mid $500 as the MSRP. My local Ritz actually has much better customer service and a return policy (although nothing like any sort of discounts - MSRP all the way, which can be a few hundred dollar premium on a mid-price body around), so in the future when I buy local I may go there.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
Chip NoVaMac said:

That's awesome, thanks Chip!! .... I'll be back in VA at some point and will make sure to visit you personally! I'll check out the exchange

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Hoef said:
That's awesome, thanks Chip!! .... I'll be back in VA at some point and will make sure to visit you personally! I'll check out the exchange

I am off on Sundays and Mondays generally, unless I have extended travel plans. :) As an example I will most likely work Sunday and Monday prior to Memorial Day in order to get Friday through Tuesday off. Sure it means working 10 days straight, but having time off without using vacation time is worth it IMO. :) My Reykjavik and London trip only cost me two days vacation for 7 days away. :) :)

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
Question for Chip

Hey Chip (and Clix Pix) .. Everything you guys have said about buying from a camera store, where the people know what they're selling is so true. The people at the 'big chain' stores like Best Buy, or Circuit City hardly know anything about accessories, lenses, photographic techniques..etc.

Its a much more satisfying and educational experience when talking to people like you.. or rather, in my case, to someone at Ritz Camera.. damn she knows her stuff!

However, there are 2 types of customers.. since I resell music equipment I would know. After giving loads of advice, etc.. one type will still argue about a $20 price difference.. while the other type will go ahead and buy the gear, knowing that they have made the right choice.

I see a lot of customers getting picky about pricing.. honestly, if they could pay $50 less.. they'd buy a product without a retail box even! Weird..its what I call the "Walmart" effect.. pushing prices to ridiculously low levels.

Anyway, now to my question.. I intend to open a camera store up here.. since there's nothing but BestBuy and Ccity.. no dedicated camera shops really. How easy is it to deal with manufacturers in terms of ordering? I mean companies like Nikon, Canon, etc. In my field, some manufacturers don't really sell to me directly, I have to go through other resellers and purchase in bulk. Is it the same here?

PS - I'm new to the business field.. hence the question. Thanks!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Music_Producer said:
Hey Chip (and Clix Pix) .. Everything you guys have said about buying from a camera store, where the people know what they're selling is so true. The people at the 'big chain' stores like Best Buy, or Circuit City hardly know anything about accessories, lenses, photographic techniques..etc.

True from my actually working in a camera store, and Clix as I admitted is a "favored" customer in my shop. I am sure that when I or my company "fails" her, she will be the first to note it.

Its a much more satisfying and educational experience when talking to people like you.. or rather, in my case, to someone at Ritz Camera.. damn she knows her stuff!

Glad you met someone that can help you long term. Many others have not tried to find the same.

However, there are 2 types of customers.. since I resell music equipment I would know. After giving loads of advice, etc.. one type will still argue about a $20 price difference.. while the other type will go ahead and buy the gear, knowing that they have made the right choice.

In the end you and I deal with the same customer. As the salesperson it is up to you to sell them on yourself and your company.

I see a lot of customers getting picky about pricing.. honestly, if they could pay $50 less.. they'd buy a product without a retail box even! Weird..its what I call the "Walmart" effect.. pushing prices to ridiculously low levels.

I agree. But it is up to you and I to "sell" ourselves as people and companies. In limited circumstances we will look up serial numbers to verify sales.

Anyway, now to my question.. I intend to open a camera store up here.. since there's nothing but BestBuy and Ccity.. no dedicated camera shops really. How easy is it to deal with manufacturers in terms of ordering? I mean companies like Nikon, Canon, etc. In my field, some manufacturers don't really sell to me directly, I have to go through other resellers and purchase in bulk. Is it the same here?

PS - I'm new to the business field.. hence the question. Thanks!

You probably ran into sales volume requirements in order to become a dealer. You may be best in trying to tie yourself to another nearby dealer.

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
I hope you don't mind if i post in here but i had a related question. Is it a good idea to buy packages of accessories? if so where is the best place? I plan on buying a canon EOS 30D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
mikeyredk said:
I hope you don't mind if i post in here but i had a related question. Is it a good idea to buy packages of accessories? if so where is the best place? I plan on buying a canon EOS 30D

Depends on who is offering the package, and the brand of the stuff being offered.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I hate the service I get at so called "brick and mortar" stores. I walk in and usually get ignored and all the employees are just standing there watching me go about what I'm doing. Employees always kinda frown and make it look like they're watching you with contempt and to make sure you're not stealing. Even yesterday I go in and crouch infront of the Sigma display yesterday and nobody cares till I'm about to leave and someone asks if they can help me and I say "I was looking for a 10-20" "not many people are going to have that" says he as he turns and walks away.

I'm not saying everyone is like this at all stores, but of the say 6 stores I've gone into on multiple occasions, I've only had good "service" once.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
law guy said:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller_info.pl?seller_id=8754

More than a little discount over a B&H-type price and its usually some sort of racket. I think folks have recommended pleanty of reputable stores / stores with web businesses on this thread and I would recommend that you check those out.

Well I guess that takes care of that! :eek:

Looks like that D200 I've been eyeing will have to wait a bit longer.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
jared_kipe said:
I hate the service I get at so called "brick and mortar" stores. I walk in and usually get ignored and all the employees are just standing there watching me go about what I'm doing. Employees always kinda frown and make it look like they're watching you with contempt and to make sure you're not stealing. Even yesterday I go in and crouch infront of the Sigma display yesterday and nobody cares till I'm about to leave and someone asks if they can help me and I say "I was looking for a 10-20" "not many people are going to have that" says he as he turns and walks away.

I'm not saying everyone is like this at all stores, but of the say 6 stores I've gone into on multiple occasions, I've only had good "service" once.

Hm....maybe there is an attitude problem going on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.