Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
So I picked up a Pixel 2 XL to play with given the $300 off at Verizon...screen is fairly mediocre but I’m adjusting with the saturated mode (which seems oversaturated but preferrable to the boosted and natural modes) but I now realize that when the screen is in saturated mode, my edited photos which look good on the Pixel ende up looking garish on other devices with well-calibrated displays (Mac, iPad, and my iPhone X). Has anyone else noticed this? Even something simple like using Google Photos auto edit on a pixel photo ends up looking washed out when loaded on my iPhone, which makes media editing concerning on the pixel

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I haven't mentioned this in my posts so far, but I do love squeezing the sides of my Pixel 2. I don't even use the Google Assistant this way, but I do love how satisfying it is to squeeze. :p.

Reactions: 5105973

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I am going to have a tough decision coming up. I have an iPhone X with the return window closing on 1/8/18 and my Pixel 2 XL has the return window closing on 1/9/18. I can afford to keep both phones however I struggle with the practicality of having two $1000 phones when I can only use one at a time. I just keep looking at it like "hmmm what else could I have with that extra $1000?". Probably use it for one of my other hobbies that I'd get more use out of (rather than having 2 phones at once). There's a new camera I've been eyeing that I could pickup if I return one of these. :)

Anyone else having to decide between the iPhone X and Pixel 2/2XL? Or have already decided one way or another? I'm not TOO ingrained in the Apple Ecosystem. I have an old Apple Watch that could easily be replaced with an Android one. Then I have an Apple TV 4K that doesn't interact with my phone at all. Finally I have an iPad mini 2 or something that my son uses so no problems there. Don't even own any Mac computers anymore. And the stereo in my car does CarPlay and Android Auto.

I love the Pixel 2 XL and the iPhone so it will be a tough decision. I'm going to use the Pixel 2 XL exclusively for the next 5 days or so and see how I feel and if it can make me miss or not miss my iPhone X. There's something about iPhones that make me feel warm and cozy and Android makes me excited but it usually wanes over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyeseeyou

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Dude there's like 3 of us now with the same predicament. Not the 2 XL for me, just the reg sized Pixel 2. But I cannot decide between them.

Pretty infuriating tbh - good luck with your decision. Do post to let us know how you get on, just to try and help me make a decision of my own haha.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Dude there's like 3 of us now with the same predicament. Not the 2 XL for me, just the reg sized Pixel 2. But I cannot decide between them.

Pretty infuriating tbh - good luck with your decision. Do post to let us know how you get on, just to try and help me make a decision of my own haha.

Let's just all do the same thing, so we can wallow in our misery together over missing whatever phone it is we decide to return. :)

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Let's just all do the same thing, so we can wallow in our misery together over missing whatever phone it is we decide to return. :)

NGL, that would legit make me feel better about it haha.
I feel like someone is asking me to choose my favourite child... lol. Not that I have kids or anything. :D

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Not sure I could rock both an iPhone and a Nexus. Unless I had money burning a whole in my pocket :)

But seriously, the design and shape and overall feel of the iPhone X, is almost the sweet perfect spot for a smartphone, just wish it was a little large, with like a 6.2" screen, then it would be spot on best design and shape. But it runs iOS which kills the whole deal, I just think iOS is like a 5 year outdated old OS, that's in desperate need of a overhaul, and as is, there's no way I could use an iPhone. Yeah the hardware is great, but the OS sucks.

My dream phone would be an iPhone X running stock Android 8.1, but having the phone a little larger screen size. I just do not see why HTC + Google together can't create a stunning compact phone design for the Pixel 3 ? They must.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Are you leaning one way right now? Or still wide open decision?

Without going over old ground as I've discussed this already and everyone must be sick of me haha - using something else after having the X since launch has made me realise how much I like the X.
I knew I liked the phone, but didn't realise quite how much.

The Pixel 2 is a great phone. It really is. I love the size, love the camera, love how it let's me unlock my Pixelbook with the fingerprint reader, and like the design. I was always a big phone guy but after using the X and picking up a Pixel 2 XL originally, I had to return it for the smaller one as it was too bloody wide and long for me! The normal 2 is perfect. Bezels don't bother me and I love that I can use it with one hand.

The first few days with the Pixel 2 and I was convinced I preferred the X and was going to go back to that. But there's something about this Pixel 2 that I love. The camera is phenomenal and whilst the X takes a great picture too, comparing them and there really is only one winner.

Theres an argument to be had about what is the sensible option. The sensible option on one hand is to sell the X and make money back on the price of the Pixel 2 which is virtually half price compared to the X (£529 vs £999).
On the other hand, I've already paid for my X and I won't have a spare 1000 quid lying round to purchase it again if I want to. Whereas I would probably be able to pick up a Pixel 2 again if I wanted to in future.

So every angle I look at it there's a counterargument to what's in my head.

In answer to your question, I think I prefer the X marginally - but it doesn't just extend to that. The price makes me want to keep Pixel 2 but the way I use my phone has me wanting to keep my X as it fits in better with that.
Once again, no further forward.

Reactions: noobinator

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I am going to have a tough decision coming up. I have an iPhone X with the return window closing on 1/8/18 and my Pixel 2 XL has the return window closing on 1/9/18. I can afford to keep both phones however I struggle with the practicality of having two $1000 phones when I can only use one at a time. I just keep looking at it like "hmmm what else could I have with that extra $1000?". Probably use it for one of my other hobbies that I'd get more use out of (rather than having 2 phones at once). There's a new camera I've been eyeing that I could pickup if I return one of these. :)

Anyone else having to decide between the iPhone X and Pixel 2/2XL? Or have already decided one way or another? I'm not TOO ingrained in the Apple Ecosystem. I have an old Apple Watch that could easily be replaced with an Android one. Then I have an Apple TV 4K that doesn't interact with my phone at all. Finally I have an iPad mini 2 or something that my son uses so no problems there. Don't even own any Mac computers anymore. And the stereo in my car does CarPlay and Android Auto.

I love the Pixel 2 XL and the iPhone so it will be a tough decision. I'm going to use the Pixel 2 XL exclusively for the next 5 days or so and see how I feel and if it can make me miss or not miss my iPhone X. There's something about iPhones that make me feel warm and cozy and Android makes me excited but it usually wanes over time.

I was kind of in the same boat when I had the X but returned it. For me, iOS has grown stale and just even last year, I far preferred it over Android as a daily driver but I think with how good Nougat is (on Samsung devices) and Oreo on the Pixel, it made my decision easier. As for the 2 XL, I do get my replacement device on Friday and if that one has issues, I may be done with the Pixel line for now and go back to the Note 8... but I still far and above prefer my Pixel 2 XL to the Note lineup. I just don't want to keep RMAing this phone, even though I do have the patience to do it.

Reactions: noobinator

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
I'm in a similar boat with all of you. As great as the P2XL is, and the money saved compared to the iPX, I'm just not sure whether or not playing the RMA lotto for issues is worth it for me. Granted I'm going on my 3rd device, just the pain and wait for initiating these RMA's is a huge turn-off compared to walking into a store at Apple and getting your issues resolved. I know Google has added 2 years of warranty for the Pixel, but if you constantly have to RMA for issues what does that tell you about the phone itself?

I'm 50/50 at this point; save money and live with potential issues and hoping for a issue-free device. Or stomach the $1000+ for an iPX and stop this nonsense.

I think all of us need to start a AA group for phones.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I'm 50/50 at this point; save money and live with potential issues and hoping for a issue-free device. Or stomach the $1000+ for an iPX and stop this nonsense.

As an iphone user, considering switching, the recent "throttle" issue has me thinking the same way about switching to a pixel. Will my IPX turn into a clunker in a year+?

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
I have the X too and like I said earlier, was trying the pixel out with Verizon’s sale. Leaning towards returning the Pixel. The X is just that good, and I can’t figure out a good replacement for my Apple Watch. And I keep hearing raves about google assistant, but it hasn’t amazed me; Siri can handle my smart home controls (like Hue scenes from HomeKit) where I can’t figure that out in assistant. For example, I just say goodnight to Siri and my apartment is all ready for bed. Not interested in fiddling with IFTT. And for the life of me having so much trouble typing. But it is a smooth, slick device, but I think iOS and its lack of need for fiddling is more appealing to me.

The camera is 100% fantastic but like I said earlier, the screen’s color profile is throwing off my ability to edit accurately; the smaller pixel would likely eliminate this problem but it just doesn’t appeal to me aesthetically.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
And for the life of me having so much trouble typing.

Ha, join the club!
Not sure why I am having such a hard time typing, but I am too.
Funny, as never really had that before with an Android device.
I didn't have my 2 XL long enough to test the keypad, but the smaller one is very tricky to type on.

With the X, the keyboard is damn near perfect.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Ha, join the club!
I didn't have my 2 XL long enough to test the keypad, but the smaller one is very tricky to type on.

Isn’t it? The keyboard alone is enough for me to rip my hair out. The X gets it perfectly for me. That, the screen, the design are all leading me back. And 3rd party apps are another story; it’s hard to find both aesthetically and functionally competent apps compared to iOS.

Reactions: Aneres11

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Ha, join the club!

Wow, that hasn't been my experience. Keyboard itself in terms of size and such is fine, iOS autocorrect has been a nightmare lately though. Correctly spelled words changed for no reason, randomly capitalized words, etc.

Reactions: Breezygirl

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Wow, that hasn't been my experience. Keyboard itself in terms of size and such is fine, iOS autocorrect has been a nightmare lately though. Correctly spelled words changed for no reason, randomly capitalized words, etc.

Funny you say that, my sister (who will not entertain anything but iPhone's) has an 8 Plus and she was messaging me today and some words in sentences weren't making sense. She then said that her phone was annoying her as words kept being changed which was happening when she got the phone.

It hasn't been my experience, personally as my X has been spot on.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Try charging/testing in safe mode, although your charging issue seems sporadic. Google may have you do a Factory Reset before proceeding with hardware exchange.

Another issue could be the 18W charger itself, I've seen reports of them being faulty. You may also want to see if Google will just exchange an charger for you. IIRC correctly this issue first started when you attempted to charge your Pixel with the Nexus 6P charger. I hope your brief use of that charger did not cause the issue for you.

See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4w1xf5/please_check_your_chargers_some_nexus_5x6p/

The issue has been intermittent so far. Usually early morning after the phone has sat for a couple hours while I slept. I think this issue cropped up before I updated to 8.1

Maybe it's my wall outlet?
Maybe it's a bug in the fast charging software on the phone?
Maybe it's a hardware problem? If this is the case, well no overnight charging and no unattended charging.
Can't see a app going rouge and drain my battery since the device has pretty good battery life once charged.

I had to factory reset when I updated to 8.1 because I unlocked critical. I sat the device up as new.

I can try a different wall outlet, my sisters cord and or flash a new kernel and see if that helps.

--

I was seriously thinking about getting another pixel 2 for my mom but after this? Yeah nope... This is not a newbie friendly device with it's issues.

I wonder how many Android newbies and apple converts got this device and had problems that resulted in jumping through hoops to make work (boot into safe mode, factory reset, try this or that or something else) and went back to what ever device or ecosystem they we're using before?

Devices shouldn't need a factory reset or boot into safe mode out of the box to make work.

Sorry, kind of just dejected over things a bit.

---

In other news project fi seems to work decent out and about at work. I need to install Hangouts to text a few people.

Reactions: co.ag.2005 and fr4c

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
The issue has been intermittent so far. Usually early morning after the phone has sat for a couple hours while I slept. I think this issue cropped up before I updated to 8.1

Maybe it's my wall outlet?
Maybe it's a bug in the fast charging software on the phone?
Maybe it's a hardware problem? If this is the case, well no overnight charging and no unattended charging.
Can't see a app going rouge and drain my battery since the device has pretty good battery life once charged.

I had to factory reset when I updated to 8.1 because I unlocked critical. I sat the device up as new.

I can try a different wall outlet, my sisters cord and or flash a new kernel and see if that helps.

--

I was seriously thinking about getting another pixel 2 for my mom but after this? Yeah nope... This is not a newbie friendly device with it's issues.

I wonder how many Android newbies and apple converts got this device and had problems that resulted in jumping through hoops to make work (boot into safe mode, factory reset, try this or that or something else) and went back to what ever device or ecosystem they we're using before?

Devices shouldn't need a factory reset or boot into safe mode out of the box to make work.

Sorry, kind of just dejected over things a bit.

---

In other news project fi seems to work decent out and about at work. I need to install Hangouts to text a few people.
I agree, there were things I had to do to make the P2XL work and I'm still not 100% there yet. I know my wife has been eyeing my the Pixel line since last year but at this point for my sanity I'm going to keep her on the iPhone 7 until I finish being the guinea pig myself.

Regarding your issue, I would definitely hit up Google and have them send you a new charger to start. Should be a quick and easy way to determine whether or not if its your phone or charger, and on the plus side you may end up with 2 Google chargers (Google lets you keep the charger + cable when you RMA your phone) if your phone's the culprit.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Sigh... May have spoken too soon on fi...

Things are loading a bit slower then I'd like. :(
Check this app out, I have a feeling you may be connected to Sprint. When I was on Fi my device liked to hang onto Sprint way too much, and manually switching to T-Mo gave me much better speeds. YMMV

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.novvia.fispy&hl=en

------------

Also gave Google a call and voiced to them my dissatisfaction of having to wait for them to receive and process the defective Pixel I received. Was glad to get a friendly Google rep to process another RMA right away and not wait.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I have a bipolar relationship with this device lol. So back from work today, first whole day taking the pixel out of the house on a mobile network. And first time using fi...

So yeah I've had some general hiccups with everything today. So far I've used only 104mb out of my gig, I'm already thinking I may have to up it a bit if I go this route. I do suspect I was on Sprint because my s7 edge was also acting slowish and stuck to 3g. Also around here Sprint tends to penetrate the building better.

Also noticed on my s7 edge Hangouts was sending a bit slower then normal, so could be network.

I will install Hangouts tonight when I get settled in on the pixel so I can use the device a bit more normally.

Battery? Yeah I think I could go another day before I need to toss the thing on the charger, especially if I leave it alone tonight (I won't)

I have yet to make a voice call with the pixel, I'm going to need to to check for defects.

I am going to investigate a bit more before I hit up Google about the battery charge issue (and nav bar burn in and touch issues). But not for a daily driver.

Right now the issues are almost livable but the charging issue really irks me. Especially if it's a circuitry problem.

Also noted how I missed being able to press the home button with my thumb while pulling the phone out of my pocket like I do with Samsung devices. I could set up the fingerprint scanner to do the same I'm sure. Not a huge issue.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.