Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
After another 45 mins on chat, finally got an email about the redund. About time!

Teased myself in Best Buy by looking at the Pixelbook again. I'd be struggling to get it back home because I'm up to my weight limit as it is. And the size of the box would also be awkward. Probably a blessing in disguise as I'm sure I'll see better deals in time for next trip when I really need one.

B..b..b..bbut the box is really small and svelte and you can't not get one!!!
:D

I need a Pixelbook buddy haha.

Speaking of the Pixelbook, what an absolutely joyous piece of tech.
I love it.
There is just one thing I hate. CAPS Lock. Or rather, how bad it is. I've changed the new 'launcher' button to be CAPS Lock (it's where CAPS lock is on normal keyboards) and it is laggy. I have grown up pressing that for a capital letter, none of this hold shift stuff which most do, and there is a delay. I end up either with no capital first letter (lIke tHat) or a mess of both.

I think it's because when you hit caps lock, a notification pops up in the tool bar bottom right to tell you it's on. I'm guessing that split second causes the delay in registering the letter.

That aside, love everything about it. The keyboard is the best I've used hands down. It's comfortable, it's light and I love having it on my knee as a laptop, getting uncomfortable and then folding the screen round to take it tablet style.

Can't recommend one enough, if anyone is in the market for one. Although the price does make it a pretty niche product. That and the fact it's a Chromebook...!

Reactions: michael9891

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Good write up map1978

I am really loving my Pixel 2XL, it's the true next gen successor to the hall of fame and classic Nexus 6P. But I do agree the shape and overall size of the iPhone X is near perfect, if it was just a little bigger. A 6.2" or so iPhone X would be the sweet spot but of course running stock Android :) Not that iOS stuff yuck.

It's funny, this Pixel subforum seems to have a lot of Apple iPhone users, which is pretty rare to see in Nexus / Pixel forums. Most Pixel forums are dominated by [H]ardcore stock Android nerds. This site seems to have a lot of Apple fans, but then again it is iSheepRumors, LOL jk.

Myself, having owned approx. 30 different smartphones over the last decade, only three of those were iPhone's, and the rest Android. I have owned 7 of the 9 Nexus / Pixel phones. Was a proud owner of the original Nexus-One back in the day. So to me, I find the iPhone to be alien and weird, and iOS just never my cup of tea, and as the years go by, I just can't get used to iOS and the frustrating ways it operates, etc... I think being with stock Android phones for so many years, has ingrained them to me, that anything else is hard to make me comfortable.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
B..b..b..bbut the box is really small and svelte and you can't not get one!!!
:D

I need a Pixelbook buddy haha.

Speaking of the Pixelbook, what an absolutely joyous piece of tech.
I love it.
There is just one thing I hate. CAPS Lock. Or rather, how bad it is. I've changed the new 'launcher' button to be CAPS Lock (it's where CAPS lock is on normal keyboards) and it is laggy. I have grown up pressing that for a capital letter, none of this hold shift stuff which most do, and there is a delay. I end up either with no capital first letter (lIke tHat) or a mess of both.

I think it's because when you hit caps lock, a notification pops up in the tool bar bottom right to tell you it's on. I'm guessing that split second causes the delay in registering the letter.

That aside, love everything about it. The keyboard is the best I've used hands down. It's comfortable, it's light and I love having it on my knee as a laptop, getting uncomfortable and then folding the screen round to take it tablet style.

Can't recommend one enough, if anyone is in the market for one. Although the price does make it a pretty niche product. That and the fact it's a Chromebook...!

The box looked a little big for what's inside it and the shape of the Google home would be awkward with the luggage I have. Too late now, where I'm headed there aren't any 256gb available until January 4th. Maybe next time when I'm on a shorter trip with less items in my case.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I have the X, but I’m feeling the pull to the panda Pixel 2 XL recently. Also kinda wanting to replace my new MacBook Pro nTB with a Pixelbook if I did go that route. But I can’t bring myself to the pull the trigger.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Am I the only one to find it kind of messed up that of one opts for a stock experience you have your choice of

Pixel 2 (or first gen)
Pixel 2 XL
Essential (?)
One plus (?)
Or...
An iPhone

Not much of a choice :(

----

In other news day 2 of testing my XL 2 in the real world, im just at 47% left on my battery, I pulled it off the charger yesterday morning at like 430 am :eek:

Fi is doing good, I still think I'm on Sprints network because I get slow downs the same area as my s7e but Hangouts seem to go through quickly.

Still have yet to check call quality.

Shesh as a phone junkie I don't make a lot of calls o_O

Still wondering when I'm going to trash my 1gb of data shouldn't be too long :eek:

Reactions: 5105973

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I also would not be opposed to the Pixel 2 in Clearly White ... so long as the white back won't turn yellow or become a dirt problem over time. I guess that same concern be had about the panda XL though.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Am I the only one to find it kind of messed up that of one opts for a stock experience you have your choice of

Pixel 2 (or first gen)
Pixel 2 XL
Essential (?)
One plus (?)
Or...
An iPhone

----

Yes and no. I get what you're saying here but since Android is a free OS, OEM's need to try to differentiate themselves. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes not. Look at Samsung. Took a few years but I think Samsung Experience is a fantastic version of Android. Lots of value-add stuff.

Reactions: slitherjef

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have the X, but I’m feeling the pull to the panda Pixel 2 XL recently. Also kinda wanting to replace my new MacBook Pro nTB with a Pixelbook if I did go that route. But I can’t bring myself to the pull the trigger.
There’s a lot of difference in purpose and capability between a MacBook Pro and a Pixelbook. If your MBP is new, why do you want to replace it with a Chromebook, even one as deluxe as a Pixelbook? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

I was just reading the rumors for 2018. It looks like they might keep the current X form factor for an upgraded 2018 model. I wonder if I should return my X, go back to the 7 Plus, and then get the upgraded version of the X in September. I would still presumably be able to use all the cases I now own for my current X.

As to why on earth I would want to do that, well inside my beady little head it makes sense but when I ran it by my husband he looked at me like I lost my ever loving mind. I hate that I have to run these things by him. I do pretty much whatever I want, I’m married, not enslaved, but I still have to discuss it with him and endure the look: o_O

Oh well he does the same to me. He’s run some pretty crazy tech purchase ideas past me and got the same o_O

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
There’s a lot of difference in purpose and capability between a MacBook Pro and a Pixelbook. If your MBP is new, why do you want to replace it with a Chromebook, even one as deluxe as a Pixelbook? Inquiring minds want to know. :D
Well, I'd only do it if I got in the Google ecosystem by purchasing the Pixel phone. There isn't really any difference between what I use my MBP for versus what I'd do on a Pixelbook. I really only got the Pro because it was on sale and costs me only $150 above what a MacBook Air would have, so I figured the extra money was worth it. I don't do any video editing, photoshop, etc. - A Pixelbook would fit my needs fine, at its current price point be about $250 cheaper than the MBP cost me and get me into the Google ecosystem a little further.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Pixel 2 (or first gen)
Pixel 2 XL
Essential (?)
One plus (?)
Or...
An iPhone

----

In other news day 2 of testing my XL 2 in the real world, im just at 47% left on my battery, I pulled it off the charger yesterday morning at like 430 am :eek:

Fi is doing good, I still think I'm on Sprints network because I get slow downs the same area as my s7e but Hangouts seem to go through quickly.

Still wondering when I'm going to trash my 1gb of data shouldn't be too long :eek:

Spoiler Alert: Most people actually don't give a lick about Stock Android. So the fact that we have options at all is enough (especially when you consider all Android flagship phones are basically using the same internals)

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Spoiler Alert: Most people actually don't give a lick about Stock Android. So the fact that we have options at all is enough (especially when you consider all Android flagship phones are basically using the same internals)

Obviously they don't. Many do like clean phones without bloatware hence iPhones. They also enjoy simplicity hence iPhones and pixels (to a lesser extent) many also enjoy having an ecosystem which apple has and Google is working on followed by Samsung.

Why I brought things up about wishing for more stock Android devices is because those who do prefer it don't have a huge selection to choose from. I mean there has been a lot of chatter about RMA'ing this device throughout this thread and presumably elsewhere.

So stock Android users? A problematic pixel device with burn in and blue shift which borders from mildly unnerving (in my case) to a flat out nuisance that resulted in an RMA. Also touch issues and so forth.

But yeah, you are correct also, there is not a huge demand for clean stock Android devices, many people would opt to spend nearly the same amount of cash for either a trusted ecosystem or something that offers more in software value.

Not sure if I'm making any sense, it's been a long day :)

Reactions: Michael Goff

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Obviously they don't. Many do like clean phones without bloatware hence iPhones. They also enjoy simplicity hence iPhones and pixels (to a lesser extent) many also enjoy having an ecosystem which apple has and Google is working on followed by Samsung.

Why I brought things up about wishing for more stock Android devices is because those who do prefer it don't have a huge selection to choose from. I mean there has been a lot of chatter about RMA'ing this device throughout this thread and presumably elsewhere.

So stock Android users? A problematic pixel device with burn in and blue shift which borders from mildly unnerving (in my case) to a flat out nuisance that resulted in an RMA. Also touch issues and so forth.

But yeah, you are correct also, there is not a huge demand for clean stock Android devices, many people would opt to spend nearly the same amount of cash for either a trusted ecosystem or something that offers more in software value.

Not sure if I'm making any sense, it's been a long day :)

You're making sense.

Lenovo is apparently going stock if that helps? Moto is basically stock. I just don't want any of the bigger players to go stock because that'd hold back Android as a whole.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well, I’m working on my home office, finally. Everyone is out skiing or doing something so I finally have some peace and quiet. I’m having to part with an old Kodak Spectra camera I’ve had since college and a Sony Mavica digital camera that recorded on floppy drives! :p

Such a task gave my subconscious a chance to churn things over and assuming I still can return my iPhone X under the extended holiday return dates, I will return it and go back to my 7 Plus.

I’ll keep my cases and if the 2018 X still fits into the cases, great. If not, I’ll cut the losses. My family won’t be too thrilled. Oh well. No guarantee I’ll get any other version of the X though.

It may take a long time to accept the prices for these phones are what they are. I think that’s what’s been eating at me since I got this phone. I don’t know.

iFan83

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2017
Looking for some info here, I’m due for a new cell phone and have interest in a Pixel 2 XL

I love the Health App with Apple, and I love how my OMRON app send my blood pressure to it automatically, does Google have this feature with that App?

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales

Pixel 2 (or first gen)
Pixel 2 XL
Essential (?)
One plus (?)
Or...
An iPhone

----

Nokia 8
And androidOne smartphones
https://www.android.com/one/

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Backing up my X and will be unpairing my watches from it later. Last step will be putting my SIM card back into my 7 Plus. Hubby tried to talk me out of it. The speakers on the X do sound amazing, as he pointed out. I told him he can give me his X when he upgrades. Like we had originally planned. I like the X. Just don’t feel right about having two of them new in the same family, not at these prices.

Hubby asked me if I ordered the Pixel 2 yet. Now that isn’t happening, either. I need time to just breathe and figure this all out.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Well, I'd only do it if I got in the Google ecosystem by purchasing the Pixel phone. There isn't really any difference between what I use my MBP for versus what I'd do on a Pixelbook. I really only got the Pro because it was on sale and costs me only $150 above what a MacBook Air would have, so I figured the extra money was worth it. I don't do any video editing, photoshop, etc. - A Pixelbook would fit my needs fine, at its current price point be about $250 cheaper than the MBP cost me and get me into the Google ecosystem a little further.

The Apple ecosystem is more tied down than a Google ecosystem. I use the Pixel 2 XL daily and use a MBP as well. With Google Photos, Gmail, Drive , etc across both platforms, I still feel a MBP outweighs a Pixelbook all day. My personal opinion of course.

I do like what the Pixelbook brings, but see a 2nd gen way more refined and worth waiting for. Like how the Pixel 2 refined from original Pixel design. While not perfect by any means, the MBP has been in the game for awhile. I’m still using a late 2012 MBP and performs like it did day 1.

Reactions: 5105973 and deany

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Quick update—a wrinkle in my plans and it’s not my fault. Hubby compared our displays. He likes the one on my X better than his. I like the display on his iPhone X because it’s easier on my eyes somehow even though his display has terrible blue shift to rival that of a Pixel 2XL. They are VERY different.

So we are going to trade for a week. If he really prefers my X and it doesn’t wreck his eyes the way it’s done mine, and I’m able to use his X without the irritation I’ve had with my display, we will make the trade permanent. But if my eyes don’t get along with his display then back my silver X goes and I’ll stay on LCD with my 7 Plus.

I can detect flicker on both panels so I don’t hold out much hope that a trade will do any good. But I’ve got a week to test, so I may as well. I’m not thrilled about this development and just wanted it all over with, but maybe it will work out. Whatever. Grumble grumble.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Quick update—a wrinkle in my plans and it’s not my fault. Hubby compared our displays. He likes the one on my X better than his. I like the display on his iPhone X because it’s easier on my eyes somehow even though his display has terrible blue shift to rival that of a Pixel 2XL. They are VERY different.

So we are going to trade for a week. If he really prefers my X and it doesn’t wreck his eyes the way it’s done mine, and I’m able to use his X without the irritation I’ve had with my display, we will make the trade permanent. But if my eyes don’t get along with his display then back my silver X goes and I’ll stay on LCD with my 7 Plus.

I can detect flicker on both panels so I don’t hold out much hope that a trade will do any good. But I’ve got a week to test, so I may as well. I’m not thrilled about this development and just wanted it all over with, but maybe it will work out. Whatever. Grumble grumble.

Grumps, the suspense is killing me.
You and I know you're a Pixel 2 kinda girl, only X stands between you and your Panda (cover to look like Panda, Google should have done Panda in standard interaction)!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Grumps, the suspense is killing me.
You and I know you're a Pixel 2 kinda girl, only X stands between you and your Panda (cover to look like Panda, Google should have done Panda in standard interaction)!
I wish my husband hadn’t started messing with my iPhone X and comparing it to his. Mine looks a lot prettier and shows more detail on one specific chicken in one specific photo (What can I say, I told you all I live out in farm country). Anyway, on the basis of the top of a chicken’s head, he thinks my X’s display is so much better and he wants to try my phone. I wish we could return his X if need be. But it’s a launch day one.

Anyway he was just supposed to back the damned thing up so I could box it up and take it back today. But no, he had to compare them.:rolleyes: I can’t blame him but I wanted this to be over.

Yes I can see chickens on it better and it looks much more bright at the same settings. But it’s so hard to read on. Also with pwm text looks like it’s shaking ever so slightly. It’s constantly jittering so I cant quite focus on it. The same is true of my husband’s X, so I think this trade isn’t going to work out for me. Then I’m going to feel bad if hubby loves my X and I have to return it.

My husband’s eyes do not detect anything of the sort that’s bugging my eyes. Judging from what I read on the thread about it, Apple says this affects only about 10% of their users. I’m the lucky 10% I guess.

I am really bummed out because the X is otherwise an awesome phone for me. I love everything about it except the display is nasty on my vision.

So anyway the Pixel 2s supposedly have this same display flicker. I was okay with that as long as I was going back to my 7 Plus to handle the text intensive chores. Having 2 main phones that flicker is going to drive me nuts. :confused:

I’ll humor my husband for the trade since we ended up at the mercy of our kids schedule today anyway.

My 13 year old kindly volunteered to take the X off of my hands. :p :rolleyes:

Reactions: deany and Aneres11

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I think I’ll find my way to Best Buy, or maybe even Verizon, to have a play with the Pixel 2/2 XL today. I’ll probably also have a play with the Pixelbook if Best Buy has one on display. Then make a firm decision after that.

Coming from the X, I don’t know how I’ll react to the Pixel 2 bezels. I know the 2 XL bezels won’t be an issue. If only they made a panda version of the Pixel 2. Smh. We shall see what I think.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
My case and screen protector arrived.

Not a huuuuuge fan of either, truth be told. But they definitely do the job, which is all I can ask.

GnbSSKx.jpg

eBlrsL7.jpg

uad5xcq.jpg

Although the finger print reader cut out is a little off...

u8X6ONZ.jpg

But it doesn't cause any real world issues so I'm ok with it.
The phone certainly doesn't feel as slippy now anyway!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.