Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My case and screen protector arrived.

Not a huuuuuge fan of either, truth be told. But they definitely do the job, which is all I can ask.

GnbSSKx.jpg

eBlrsL7.jpg

uad5xcq.jpg

Although the finger print reader cut out is a little off...

u8X6ONZ.jpg

But it doesn't cause any real world issues so I'm ok with it.
The phone certainly doesn't feel as slippy now anyway!
My Pixel 2 case is like that but purple! So how’s everything with your Pixel 2 so far?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
My case and screen protector arrived.

Not a huuuuuge fan of either, truth be told. But they definitely do the job, which is all I can ask.

GnbSSKx.jpg

eBlrsL7.jpg

uad5xcq.jpg

Although the finger print reader cut out is a little off...

u8X6ONZ.jpg

But it doesn't cause any real world issues so I'm ok with it.
The phone certainly doesn't feel as slippy now anyway!

Oh my GOD do I hate hate hate screen protectors. Hate the way they feel, hate the way they look. Hate hate hate. Hahah..enjoy yours though! ;)

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Finally made up my mind, went back to my iPhone X and returned the Pixel 2 XL despite the great price at Verizon and the camera. The iphone x is so close camera wise and the screen and hardware are too gorgeous, the iOS apps I'm too married to (in a good way!), my ecosystem (which while locked down works beautifully for me so i'm okay with it?), and the size is also preferable. I toyed with going to the Pixel 2 but I can't do it with the design and then the OS preference. But google did a great job, and who knows what next year will bring!

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
How do you get the "At A Glance" widget to show the weather too ? That's the main widget the Pixel's ship with the Day and date, but I see some of you have the weather on the right side too.

I use a Widget from the Play Store that mimic's that exact look and adds the weather and looks great, but was wondering how weather can be added to the default Google app ?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Oh my GOD do I hate hate hate screen protectors. Hate the way they feel, hate the way they look. Hate hate hate. Hahah..enjoy yours though! ;)

Haha, well thanks.
I don't like them too much either, but with the rate I sell phones I need to try and get as much profit back as I can so that means trying to keep them in tip top condition.

And @GrumpyMom the Pixel 2 is treating me well.
Just been at my mum's house and speaking to my sister who has suddenly decided she wants to swap her 8 Plus out for an X. Very unlike her, but she earns good money and still lives at my parents, so why not?!
So we're off to the Apple Store tomorrow to get her one. She'd have mine, but needs 256gb.

I'm now sat looking at my X again wondering if I'm doing the right thing.
:rolleyes:o_O
The X has such a hold on me. :(

Reactions: 5105973

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Got to mess with the Pixel 2’s. Ugh. Between the Pixel 2 XL and the Pixelbook one thing stood out. I love Google’s design language, moreso than Apple’s nowadays. Where Apple feels increasingly more cluttered and frustrating, Google seems to be going the opposite direction. And the back of the phone feels amazing to my hands.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
This thread makes me think iPhones are some kind of heroin, and iMessage is the needle tugging on your arm asking for just one more hit

Reactions: kkh786

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Pixel 2 XL (Panda) ORDERED!!! Going to give it a try, keep my X in the meantime, and go from there. FWIW, the demo I messed with looked fine to me. Sure, screen had blue tint but that doesn’t bother me at all. And it didn’t even have any of the software fixes since release.

:D:D:D
[doublepost=1514660878][/doublepost]And as for the Pixelbook, I’ve got until January 5th to make my decision on that since I just bought the MBP a week ago.

Given it’s flexibility, current $250 price difference AND Google Home being included, I’m inclined to make the exchange.

Edit: Oh sh*t the free Google Home promotion ends tomorrow!

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Pixel 2 XL (Panda) ORDERED!!! Going to give it a try, keep my X in the meantime, and go from there. FWIW, the demo I messed with looked fine to me. Sure, screen had blue tint but that doesn’t bother me at all. And it didn’t even have any of the software fixes since release.

:D:D:D
[doublepost=1514660878][/doublepost]And as for the Pixelbook, I’ve got until January 5th to make my decision on that since I just bought the MBP a week ago.

Given it’s flexibility, current $250 price difference AND Google Home being included, I’m inclined to make the exchange.

Edit: Oh sh*t the free Google Home promotion ends tomorrow!

How's the mbp treating you? What flavor?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
How's the mbp treating you? What flavor?
nTB Pro silver. It’s been great. I mainly just web browse, listen to music, Twitter, etc on it so it’s overkill for what I need. I only got the Pro because it was on sale for $1,150 at Best Buy. Now that I know I like the Pixelbook and that it is on sale for $900 AND includes a free Google Home, I’m going shortly to exchange it and pounce on the deal. Comparing the two for my needs, there will be no trade offs.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Curious if you guys / gals are running a Theme on your Pixel 2 ?

And also are you running a custom Launcher like Nova or something ? Or just use the stock Pixel 2 Launcher ?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I ordered my 2 XL through Google Store. Are their shipping times reliable? Says I’ll have it Jan 3-4.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I ordered my 2 XL through Google Store. Are their shipping times reliable? Says I’ll have it Jan 3-4.

They are very fast. We ordered mine earlier this month in December, ordered it on a Thursday morning, got it Friday afternoon, and we didn't pay for any extra fast shipping.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
They are very fast. We ordered mine earlier this month in December, ordered it on a Thursday morning, got it Friday afternoon, and we didn't pay for any extra fast shipping.
Wow. I guess expedited shipping might have been a useless idea haha

At this point though, mine probably won’t ship until Tuesday because of the holiday. I’m getting a brand new heat pump unit put in on Wednesday since we don’t have heat right now, so Wednesday is looking to be an extraordinarily good day in my house!

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I have been lurking on this forum for a few days now. These Pixels are very tempting but i’m more or less happy with my X. My only issue with the X is that Face ID is nowhere as fast as touch ID yet. What stuck out to me about the Pixel and other current phones on android 8.1 is that you can theme almost every thing ‘dark’? It’s something i loved about the OnePlus 3T. @Tig Bitties I think you mentioned that you’re on Substratum on 8.1, can everything including apps like gmail and instagram be themed dark? I wouldy be so HAPPY going back to android if EVERYTHING can be made dark.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

And also are you running a custom Launcher like Nova or something ? Or just use the stock Pixel 2 Launcher ?
When I had it, I loved the stock launcher but if I get it again I will experiment with all kinds of launchers because that’s the fun of a good clean Android phone. I tried that on my HTC 10 but saw hints of their Sense UI asserting itself more than I thought would be likely to happen on a stock android device.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL

Nova Prime here. Need a touch more customization than what the pixel launcher provides..for example resizing icons and removing icon labels

Still trying to figure out how the heck people are getting 6-7 SOT when I’m getting 4-5 max

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Nova Prime here. Need a touch more customization than what the pixel launcher provides..for example resizing icons and removing icon labels

Still trying to figure out how the heck people are getting 6-7 SOT when I’m getting 4-5 max
I got about 4-5 on the Pixel 2. I was taking videos and a lot of pictures though.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I have been lurking on this forum for a few days now. These Pixels are very tempting but i’m more or less happy with my X. My only issue with the X is that Face ID is nowhere as fast as touch ID yet. What stuck out to me about the Pixel and other current phones on android 8.1 is that you can theme almost every thing ‘dark’? It’s something i loved about the OnePlus 3T. @Tig Bitties I think you mentioned that you’re on Substratum on 8.1, can everything including apps like gmail and instagram be themed dark? I wouldy be so HAPPY going back to android if EVERYTHING can be made dark.

Themes are a godsend on this phone. Just so great because Subtratum covers EVERYTHING .

- Stock Google Apps
- System settings
- Notifications
- Third party apps like WhatsApp, or Samsung Internet, etc...

When I had the lgv30 the themes on that phone were very limited on only theming the stock LG apps and nothing else not even notifications, which was lame. Whereas the Pixel 2 themes do every single app or setting you want. You can even run multiple different themes. Certain colors for some apps, and then a different theme's color for other apps if you like

Reactions: 5105973

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Got it! Can’t wait to get going on it later.
BCE899_F3_9_DEA_4_E94_ACB2_C68_B0_A0_A85_D7.jpg

[doublepost=1514674533][/doublepost]The guy who helped me with the exchange was gushing about his Pixelbook and how much he loved it. Almost to the point where it got annoying haha, but I appreciated the vote of confidence.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
How to get weather on the "At A Glance" widget ?

I've been running Nova since I got my Pixel 2 XL earlier this month, but just for fun wanted to try out the stock default Pixel launcher. I like the default launcher for now, may or may not stick with it ( been using Nova on every phone for years now )

But when using the stock launcher, I noticed the 'At A Glance' widget is just showing me Day and Date, and not the weather next to it. I tried to remove that widget and use my good old Chronus widget looks 99.99% exactly the same but is more customization and I can have it with the weather to the right looking just like the Google one., but it looks stupid if I can't remove the stock one.

Any help would be appreciated thx
[doublepost=1514676858][/doublepost]Update;

I followed this guys guide, and it still isn't working;

Swipe from home screen to your cards.
Tap on the three vertical dots in the top right hand corner (I'm original pixel on 8.1 mind, you're on the newer pixel 8.0).
Select "customize feed".
Scroll down to "Weather", select "view all settings". Ensure "weather updates" and "weather updates for your location" are both on. It might take a while if these were off for the widget to appear.

After that (if it's still not working) you can go to the weather card itself (search weather after swiping to your cards and enter the weather card). Tap the three horizontal lines in the top left corner.
Select "settings".
Select "Your feed"
Under "Get notified about", two things to enter and turn on:
"Weather alerts for substantial changes"
And
"Current Weather condition"

I did all of that, and still no weather on the At A Glance widget on the home screen.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Nova Launcher and switching between ethereal and swift black substratum themes. I want to use the Pixel Launcher but rely too much on Nova gestures and icon packs

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig Bitties

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Got it! Can’t wait to get going on it later.
BCE899_F3_9_DEA_4_E94_ACB2_C68_B0_A0_A85_D7.jpg

[doublepost=1514674533][/doublepost]The guy who helped me with the exchange was gushing about his Pixelbook and how much he loved it. Almost to the point where it got annoying haha, but I appreciated the vote of confidence.

Heyyyy. Welcome to the Pixelbook club. :)
Hope you love it as much as I love mine!

One thing I discovered on mine earlier is that pushbullet can send images to my phone just by right clicking an image and hitting pushbullet. Wowzers . You can tell I'm just discovering pushbullet now can't you haha.

I just need to get a sleeve or case now for mine. And maybe that Pixel Pen .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.