Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
One thing I discovered on mine earlier is that pushbullet can send images to my phone just by right clicking an image and hitting pushbullet. Wowzers . You can tell I'm just discovering pushbullet now can't you haha.
Oooooh :eek:

Assuming that only works with your Pixel 2. I’ll have to wait until Wednesday to utilize that on my 2XL but it sounds exciting.
[doublepost=1514683963][/doublepost]Man, I love this Pixelbook. I'll post some more thoughts on it in a few days after some use. This keyboard is sooooo much better than the butterfly keys on the MBP. And I love to change wallpapers, specifically landscape walls, so kudos to Google for throwing in TONS of those.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Oooooh :eek:

Assuming that only works with your Pixel 2. I’ll have to wait until Wednesday to utilize that on my 2XL but it sounds exciting.
[doublepost=1514683963][/doublepost]Man, I love this Pixelbook. I'll post some more thoughts on it in a few days after some use. This keyboard is sooooo much better than the butterfly keys on the MBP. And I love to change wallpapers, specifically landscape walls, so kudos to Google for throwing in TONS of those.

It works on my iPhone X too but not quite as intuitively. With the Pixel you just get a notification and it goes straight into photos. With the X you seemingly have to go into the pushbullet app on the phone to retrieve it.

Still very handy though!

Wait until you set you Pixel up to be able to unlock your Pixelbook for you via fingerprint. I love that. Just unlock your phone and tap your display pic on Pixelbook and you're in! :D

I also agree about the selection of sweet wallpapers. So many good ones to choose from.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well I'm now on my husband’s X. So far it’s more compatible with my eyes. The flickering is still there but the glare that was bothering me the most isn’t. It’s too soon to tell how this is going to work out.

Anyhoo, one thing I could kick myself for not even thinking about in the short hectic time I had my Pixel 2 was Google Lens. I was organizing three family birthday celebrations at the time and doing all sorts of things so I remember it being probably the worst time to try and evaluate a new phone. So somehow the one feature that seemed super cool to me as an irrepressibly curious person got totally forgotten.

Have any of you Pixel 2/2Xl owners made use of it yet, and if so, what did you think?

Pixelbook owners, congratulations! It’s very exciting to read the reviews and comments on them.

JakeT85

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
Couldn't hold back any longer. Pulled the trigger and ordered the Panda while the $75 off was still going on. Ever since I sent my small pixel 2 back I've missed it. My main reason for returning was the screen was a little too small and it strained my eyes to read on it for extended periods. I haven't been a fan of huge phones in the past but think the OnePlus 5t and iPhone x have helped me bridge the gap to where I'll be able to get by okay now. Also, nova primes gestures will assist in pulling down notifications without having to reach the top of the screen and chrome flags will enable the bookmarks menu to the bottom of the screen. These things should help make the xl close to a 1 handed phone for me.

I'm really hoping this will be the phone to bring me full time to Android. I love my iPhone x but still feel like some things are missing due to limitations of iOS and for a thousand dollars I dont feel like those feelings should exist.

The oneplus 5t was absolutely awesome when I had it but have to use Verizon where I'm at so it ended up being a no go. I will be getting the Panda next week and putting my X in the drawer after an initial comparison. I'll be launching my YouTube channel with this attempt to transition with updates through the two weeks so that makes it even more exciting. More to come and look forward to discussing with you all.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Couldn't hold back any longer. Pulled the trigger and ordered the Panda while the $75 off was still going on. Ever since I sent my small pixel 2 back I've missed it. My main reason for returning was the screen was a little too small and it strained my eyes to read on it for extended periods. I haven't been a fan of huge phones in the past but think the OnePlus 5t and iPhone x have helped me bridge the gap to where I'll be able to get by okay now. Also, nova primes gestures will assist in pulling down notifications without having to reach the top of the screen and chrome flags will enable the bookmarks menu to the bottom of the screen. These things should help make the xl close to a 1 handed phone for me.

I'm really hoping this will be the phone to bring me full time to Android. I love my iPhone x but still feel like some things are missing due to limitations of iOS and for a thousand dollars I dont feel like those feelings should exist.

The oneplus 5t was absolutely awesome when I had it but have to use Verizon where I'm at so it ended up being a no go. I will be getting the Panda next week and putting my X in the drawer after an initial comparison. I'll be launching my YouTube channel with this attempt to transition with updates through the two weeks so that makes it even more exciting. More to come and look forward to discussing with you all.

Be interesting to see how you find the 2 XL compared to the iPhone X.

Especially the size as I found the X made phones that were bigger 'too big'. Especially the 2 XL.

_____

My sister bought her iPhone X today. When in the Apple shop I obviously started hankering for my X again, particularly when I saw the new Spiced Orange silicone case. Damn, that thing is just amazing, and looked so good on my phone.

So here I am again now all in a wonder seeing as I haven't sold my X yet. Send help.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’ve been on my X struggling to compose an email to a friend going through rough times. As in thermonuclear levels of rough. Finding the right words took a long time so I was staring at the display a long enough time know I’m okay on this display, but not $1500 okay. For my husband there isn’t a huge difference between the two X’s as he uses them, so I’m leaning toward returning my X and taking this one on as a hand me down. THEN it will make more sense.

I found the Pixel 2 very small, but if I’m not going to spend massive amounts of time texting on it or doing emails on it then I’ll go with the more affordable Pixel 2. My iPhone 7 Plus can do the heavy lifting for texts and emails.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Impressed early with the Pixelbook battery. Been on it a very fair amount of the night and morning and it's holding up very well on first charge. That includes streaming an hour and a half on Netflix (Black Mirror S4 E1 is unreal good) with AirPods connected via bluetooth.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois

I've been eyeing the Pixels for awhile now too. I'm wanting to go full time to Android because there's just something about iOS and Apple that I don't like. The iX is a great phone, but it's still hampered by the same ole OS even though it's a beautiful phone. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Pixel 2 (not sure I can handle the size of the 2XL), and can't decide if I want to toss a Pixel Book in there or get the Samsung Chromebook Pro (would save another $500). The quality of Android and Chromebooks these days and the savings that I'd see between not going with Apple is just sucking me in. I'm curious to hear your thoughts once you're in the Android world.

Be interesting to see how you find the 2 XL compared to the iPhone X.

Especially the size as I found the X made phones that were bigger 'too big'. Especially the 2 XL.

_____

My sister bought her iPhone X today. When in the Apple shop I obviously started hankering for my X again, particularly when I saw the new Spiced Orange silicone case. Damn, that thing is just amazing, and looked so good on my phone.

So here I am again now all in a wonder seeing as I haven't sold my X yet. Send help.

Don't do it, my friend. I'm about to leap off the Apple ledge and into Android land. I think I just have to rip off the bandaid for now and maybe next year I'll come back to Apple if they change the OS a bit.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I've been eyeing the Pixels for awhile now too. I'm wanting to go full time to Android because there's just something about iOS and Apple that I don't like. The iX is a great phone, but it's still hampered by the same ole OS even though it's a beautiful phone. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Pixel 2 (not sure I can handle the size of the 2XL), and can't decide if I want to toss a Pixel Book in there or get the Samsung Chromebook Pro (would save another $500). The quality of Android and Chromebooks these days and the savings that I'd see between not going with Apple is just sucking me in. I'm curious to hear your thoughts once you're in the Android world.

Don't do it, my friend. I'm about to leap off the Apple ledge and into Android land. I think I just have to rip off the bandaid for now and maybe next year I'll come back to Apple if they change the OS a bit.

The 2 XL is such a great phone, and seriously it's not that much larger than the bezel king Pixel 2. Height wise there's not the big difference you'd think. Yes the XL is a bigger phone. But it's not iPhone 8 next to iPhone 8 Plus difference, not at all, because the 2 XL has smaller bezels it doesn't seem super giant compared to Pixel 2.

Plus the battery size is worth the difference alone, you'll get much better battery life on the 2 XL. And I think it's just a better looking phone overall. The smaller Pixel 2 looks like a 2015 phone, where the larger 2 XL looks more current.

And smart move ditching the iPhone. Yeah the iPhone X looks cool and has a great shape and design, but it runs the god awful iOS, which feels like an OS stuck in 2012 or something. Whereas stock Android 8.1 is light years better.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

I'm currently in both lands, and I do prefer Android.
The problem I have, (which I have come to realise this past few days) is that I don't think that the Pixel 2's are my favourite phones. I love the software, I love the camera, and I do like the design and materials used.
But the Pixel 2 screen is a little too cramped for fluid typing (I'm making a lot of mistakes) and the 2 XL was too large for me to use comfortably.

The X has its own set of shortcomings, but the size, screen and overall design is head and shoulders above what the Pixel 2 offers.

If I could get something close to the X that runs Android, maybe I'd feel differently about giving my X up...

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Pixel Book in there or get the Samsung Chromebook Pro (would save another $500)
I was debating between the two, but really, the Pixelbook is beautifully designed and worth the extra money imo. Right now it's only $899 and includes a free Google Home. Also, going with the Pixelbook would get you 8GB RAM vs 4GB, 128GB base storage vs 32GB and a Core i5 Processor vs a mobile m3 processor. I think the extra money is worth it when you factor in the support moving forward, future-proofing and beautiful design.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I was debating between the two, but really, the Pixelbook is beautifully designed and worth the extra money imo. Right now it's only $899 and includes a free Google Home. Also, going with the Pixelbook would get you 8GB RAM vs 4GB, 128GB base storage vs 32GB and a Core i5 Processor vs a mobile m3 processor. I think the extra money is worth it when you factor in the support moving forward, future-proofing and beautiful design.

It would be $500 more for double the RAM, double the storage (the model of Pro I'm looking at has 64gb). Both come with free Homes. The Pixel Book obviously will have better support, but Google worked with Sammy on the Plus and Pro models, too. Tough call, because part of my reasoning behind leaving Apple is the high prices, and the Pro would save me a good chunk of change.
[doublepost=1514750997][/doublepost]
I'm currently in both lands, and I do prefer Android.
The problem I have, (which I have come to realise this past few days) is that I don't think that the Pixel 2's are my favourite phones. I love the software, I love the camera, and I do like the design and materials used.
But the Pixel 2 screen is a little too cramped for fluid typing (I'm making a lot of mistakes) and the 2 XL was too large for me to use comfortably.

The X has its own set of shortcomings, but the size, screen and overall design is head and shoulders above what the Pixel 2 offers.

If I could get something close to the X that runs Android, maybe I'd feel differently about giving my X up...

I completely agree about the size of the X - I think it's the perfect size. I just don't think it's worth almost $1400 after it's all said and done for me, when I can get a Pixel and Chromebook for basically the same price.
[doublepost=1514751094][/doublepost]
The 2 XL is such a great phone, and seriously it's not that much larger than the bezel king Pixel 2. Height wise there's not the big difference you'd think. Yes the XL is a bigger phone. But it's not iPhone 8 next to iPhone 8 Plus difference, not at all, because the 2 XL has smaller bezels it doesn't seem super giant compared to Pixel 2.

Plus the battery size is worth the difference alone, you'll get much better battery life on the 2 XL. And I think it's just a better looking phone overall. The smaller Pixel 2 looks like a 2015 phone, where the larger 2 XL looks more current.

And smart move ditching the iPhone. Yeah the iPhone X looks cool and has a great shape and design, but it runs the god awful iOS, which feels like an OS stuck in 2012 or something. Whereas stock Android 8.1 is light years better.

I've held both and the 2XL just seems too big for me. I've been using a 6s Plus these past few days and it feels like a giant brick. I hate it. I do agree with what you're saying about the battery life and whatnot, but I'm not sure I'm ok with the size. The Pixel 2 seems like the sweet spot for me, as it's closer in size to the iX, which is the perfect size in my mind.

Reactions: Aneres11

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Pixel 2 vs Pixel 2 XL size; 145.7 x 69.7 vs. 157.9 x 76
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8733&idPhone2=8720

iPhone 8 vs iPhone 8 Plus size; 138.4 x 67.3 vs. 158.4 x 78.1
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8573&idPhone2=8131

Point is, the Pixel 2 XL with a 6" screen, is still a smaller overall device than the iPhone Plus with just a 5.5" screen, the Pixel 2 XL is shorter and narrower than the iPhone 8 Plus, with still having a larger screen.

And here's the better comparison for you, the iPhone X vs. Pixel 2 XL vs. iPhone 6S Plus;
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone1=8858&idPhone2=8720&idPhone3=7243

X = 143.6 x 71
2 XL = 157.9 x 76
6S Plus = 158.2 x 78

I just like that the 2 XL is a smaller phone than the larger iPhone Plus, but also having a fairly bigger screen too

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Impressed early with the Pixelbook battery. Been on it a very fair amount of the night and morning and it's holding up very well on first charge. That includes streaming an hour and a half on Netflix (Black Mirror S4 E1 is unreal good) with AirPods connected via bluetooth.

How do you find watching media on it with what looks like quite a big border at the top due to the aspect ratio?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I actually find the Pixel 2 XL more comfortable to hold than the X. Lighter and grippier.

That's definitely personal preference and likely to do with users hand size because I couldn't comfortably wrap one hand around the whole of the 2 XL whereas I can with the baby Pixel 2 and with the X. I also found the materials used made it feel very slippy (panda model) which was not a good combo with the size. Even the reg 2 is slippy without a case.

If the 2XL wasn't so wide we might have got on...

Reactions: widgeteer

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
How do you find watching media on it with what looks like quite a big border at the top due to the aspect ratio?
Not a big deal. Even the 21:9 content I watched earlier seemed like a fine size. The black border isn’t much different than watching content on an iPad, which I’ve always enjoyed.

Reactions: michael9891

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

I received my spiced orange case this week. I’ll try not to post a pic for you. :)

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
@deany Okay I took the plunge and ordered the 128 GB Pixel 2 in Clearly White. Got $50 off as of today. I don’t know what deals could be coming but at least that’s something. I ordered directly from Google. It should be here on the 4th or 5th. Assuming they use a decent shipper.

I told my husband I’ll take this X as a hand me down when he’s ready to upgrade. I feel a bit bad because he does prefer the display on my silver iPhone X. But he’s going to move on to first pick on new iOS devices in 2018. I likely won’t, not on iOS at the new flagship price levels, unless they finally give iPhones the ability to record beautiful stereo audio for videos.

It’s 2017 (for the rest of the day anyway) and they’re charging well over a thousand dollars for a phone that can’t record in stereo when Android phones have been doing so, and doing it well since at least 2015 (and probably earlier but I only found out in 2015).

Chances are good I will trade this Pixel 2 in on Pixel 3. That’s why even though I was sorely tempted by the Panda, I stuck to the less expensive Pixel 2. Also if I’m going back to the 7 Plus I don’t necessarily want to be dragging another huge phone around with me. But if I don’t end up trading it in, knowing the warranty has been extended to two years is somewhat comforting.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I really got to say it... So far I am really digging my battery life...

Sitting at 48% with an estimated 1 day and change left.

Thing has been off the charger 1 day and 20 hours!, Pushing 2 days!

Having a good signal helps (fi) and not searching for a signal at my house since it's connected to WiFi.

A few other quick observations:
The XL 2 does seem to be a bit top heavy balance in the hand wise, probably because it's a bit taller.

Call quality on fi sounded pretty good but I did hear a bit of sound dimming while the other line was ringing, could be just the land line I was calling. Nothing major. Other end of the call said the voice call sounded good.

So far fi and this device have made for a good secondary line. Sitting at 301mb out of 1gb for data used.

I think I might have to bump that up to 2gb at least. I haven't uploaded to Twitter or Instagram yet or viewed ig on this device. Which is fine since I have the other line. Just need to watch what I'm doing while uploading.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
That's definitely personal preference and likely to do with users hand size because I couldn't comfortably wrap one hand around the whole of the 2 XL whereas I can with the baby Pixel 2 and with the X. I also found the materials used made it feel very slippy (panda model) which was not a good combo with the size. Even the reg 2 is slippy without a case.

If the 2XL wasn't so wide we might have got on...

The black XL has a much better feel than Panda. Panda is striking to look at but the brushed metal effect on the black feels so much more premium.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
The black XL has a much better feel than Panda. Panda is striking to look at but the brushed metal effect on the black feels so much more premium.

Yeah I'd heard this and even noticed it myself when I was in Currys buying my Pixelbook.

Some Currys have Carphonewarehouse's built into them as they're sister companies, and I was mulling round the phones looking to get attention from someone to exchange my XL for reg size.

A google rep came towards me (these reps aren't normally around in these stores) and she was lovely. She was made up I was buying a Pixelbook and even pretended in her regional WhatsApp group that she'd made a sale. In reality I was walking in and buying one regardless, but I wasn't going to stop her as she was so nice.

Said she used to be an MD in a company and got made redundant and signed up to be a rep for three months over Christmas. She didn't really like it. I was like, sign me up!! Haha.

Anyway, I've waffled haha.
Point of my story is once I'd sorted the Pixelbook, I went back to the CPW section with her and asked to swap out my XL for a smaller Pixel. She couldn't help as they only had black in the smaller Pixel and she was convincing me to go for that and whipped her smaller black 2 out of her pocket for me to look at. It definitely felt good in the hand. Much better than the white, but the white just looks better!

Reactions: 5105973

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Brushed metal? I didn't get a brushed metal feel at all when I messed with it yesterday. It felt more like a sandpaperish grip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.