Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Pardon my impatience :D
Mine has been in holiday limbo too.

I’m getting very excited at the prospect of having a Pixel 2 once again. I hope this one doesn’t have any defects so I can just relax and really get into familiarizing myself with non-Samsung flavored Android. I want to own it to enjoy it and not to evaluate it for problems. Though I do have to do that during the return period.

I missed squeezing it for Assistant. I read on the Android Central forum you can squeeze it to bring up assistant and then say “Lumos” to activate the flashlight. I think that’s funny as heck. I did not know that when I had the first one. “Nox” turns it off.

I’ll be so excited to get my wallpaper in which the globe actually spins again. I had a similar one on my iPhones but they of course don’t move. Oh goodness there are so many things I missed that I’m excited to get back.

I will indeed miss the X but I’ll have it back again when my husband is ready to upgrade.

JakeT85

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
I'm in holiday limbo too. If I remember right my last Google device shipped from Chicago suburbs so being in central Illinois I'm hoping for a Wednesday arrival. I think I'm most excited for the file manager/drag and drop with computer and default apps. I email a lot of attachments everyday that are built on my office computer so these features should make my workflow stream a lot easier. I'm also a little nervous, have an out of town weekend and part of my testing is going to be leaving my trusty iPhone at home. Already have a little anxiety about it.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I'm in holiday limbo too. If I remember right my last Google device shipped from Chicago suburbs so being in central Illinois I'm hoping for a Wednesday arrival. I think I'm most excited for the file manager/drag and drop with computer and default apps. I email a lot of attachments everyday that are built on my office computer so these features should make my workflow stream a lot easier. I'm also a little nervous, have an out of town weekend and part of my testing is going to be leaving my trusty iPhone at home. Already have a little anxiety about it.

Lots of Illinois people in this thread. Where at in Central IL? I’m a U of I grad in Marion now. About 180 miles south of Champaign.

On a side note, I have some serious anxiety any time I attempt to leave iOS anymore.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Maybe do NOT leave your iPhone at home yet. My husband didn’t do that until he had his Samsung for several weeks. Then he had a good idea of what he could expect and there was no anxiety involved.

He only made it through one day at work with the Pixel 2XL but I don’t remember why, nor does he—he’s standing here ready to leave for work and I just asked him. He had to put his sim back into the iPhone he brought with him.

Plenty of people use a Pixel phone as their only phone. But not everyone can. Just as not everyone can use an iPhone as a daily driver. There are reasons people end up going with an iPhone or a Samsung or an LG for a few years.

Anyway make it exciting not anxiety inducing. Take the iPhone with you is my suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

This trip in America has been the first time I've not had an iPhone since 2010. And I was a little worried because iPhones have never let me down. I needn't have worried, the 2XL has been outstanding. And that's over 19 days, not just a weekend.

Had a little trouble connecting to a hotel WiFi in one place and cellular data not working in another small area. But those weren't down to the Pixel.

Leave your iPhone at home, you'll be fine!

JakeT85

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
Lots of Illinois people in this thread. Where at in Central IL? I’m a U of I grad in Marion now. About 180 miles south of Champaign.

On a side note, I have some serious anxiety any time I attempt to leave iOS anymore.

Small world, I'm an SIU grad. I know the area well had some great years down there. I've had some good times over at the U of I too, couple of my best friends from high school are alumni, I made a couple of weekend trips to tailgate. I'm in Bloomington now, missing that 15 degree difference a lot today haha.

Maybe do NOT leave your iPhone at home yet. My husband didn’t do that until he had his Samsung for several weeks. Then he had a good idea of what he could expect and there was no anxiety involved.

He only made it through one day at work with the Pixel 2XL but I don’t remember why, nor does he—he’s standing here ready to leave for work and I just asked him. He had to put his sim back into the iPhone he brought with him.

Plenty of people use a Pixel phone as their only phone. But not everyone can. Just as not everyone can use an iPhone as a daily driver. There are reasons people end up going with an iPhone or a Samsung or an LG for a few years.

Anyway make it exciting not anxiety inducing. Take the iPhone with you is my suggestion.

I know I should throw it in my bag for peace of mind but I also feel like that has been my hold up when attempting to switch before that I don't allow myself to fully invest. We shall see, I think the morning of is when I will make my decision. Luckily I have a week and a half before then to familiarize myself with the device so maybe that will give me some help in deciding.

This trip in America has been the first time I've not had an iPhone since 2010. And I was a little worried because iPhones have never let me down. I needn't have worried, the 2XL has been outstanding. And that's over 19 days, not just a weekend.

Had a little trouble connecting to a hotel WiFi in one place and cellular data not working in another small area. But those weren't down to the Pixel.

Leave your iPhone at home, you'll be fine!

Yep the Pixel's are entirely capable devices and likely are more well rounded for being on the road as you can do a little bit more on them than on the iPhone. To me it has always been resistance to change even if it is for the better in most areas. I am hoping that I can leave the iPhone in the drawer this time. Luckily like I said above I have ten days to get familiar with the Pixel before the trip so maybe I'll be comfortable with it at that point. Fingers crossed.

My order is no longer able to be cancelled so I'd say the order for my phone is on the way to the shipping warehouse. Tomorrow will be a good day!

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Small world, I'm an SIU grad. I know the area well had some great years down there. I've had some good times over at the U of I too, couple of my best friends from high school are alumni, I made a couple of weekend trips to tailgate. I'm in Bloomington now, missing that 15 degree difference a lot today haha.

Hi Illinoisans, former Illinoisan here. Grew up in a small town just north of Peoria and graduated Illinois State in the early 2000s before moving to CA. :)

I'm actually originally from Marion. I left for U of I in 2000, graduated in 2004 and then came back to SIU for law school and stayed here after graduation. That's crazy that you find people like this on a random internet forum!!

Good luck on your Pixel 2 switch, hope you can make it. I've been trying to switch for so long, but I always get anxiety and then realize that the whole package of iOS/Watch OS/TV OS is what draws me in. Just can't find that cohesiveness with Android. But I dunno. I made an order for a Pixel 2 just before the New Year so I locked in that discounted price and free Google Home Mini, just in case...

Reactions: JakeT85 and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Same....woohoo it's happening!
Same here! I doubt I’ll see mine tomorrow because I’m further away on the East Coast and our weather has been nasty. I am hoping to see mine Thursday.

I guess it’s appropriate to match the snow on my back porch deck that I got a snowy white Pixel 2. The snow on the grass is melting a bit. We didn’t get much but enough to make a mantle of white for a pleasing aesthetic effect.

I know some earlier posts said that the white surface didn’t feel as premium or good as the black finish. But I rarely register those kinds of differences beyond a quick first impression. I picked the white color this time just because I like the look of it. I had black last time and that was pretty, too. But my IPhone 7 Plus is black so I thought I’d switch things up a bit for the Pixel 2.

I really, really, really hope this Pixel 2 works out for me. As I said on another thread in this forum, even though at this stage of life my husband and I are finally financially comfortable, we aren’t made of the money Apple seems to think its customers are.

Despite what you all may think based on my smart phone splurge since 2016, I am by nature and upbringing a very frugal person and so is my husband. My mom once lived in a refugee camp when she was about 8 or 9 and my father-in-law genuinely starved as a child during the Great Depression. Their experiences had a profound influence on our outlook. I grew up surrounded by gangs and evictions and neighbors living in poverty, myself. So there gets to be a certain point spending too much money on any one thing makes me “twitchy”.

The smart phone and smart phone cameras offer me the quality and convenience I want to record and share precious moments of my life so I am always going to want to get the best I can afford. But the pricing of the iPhone X, and getting two in one year, pushed me very far out of my psychological comfort zone.

I try very hard not to let my emotions rule me and to operate on logic and reason, and even my logic and reason were twitching uncomfortably at what we’d done spending a total of $3000 for two iPhones in one year. :p In particular, looking at the quality of non-defective Pixel 2 pictures and videos, I think this option deserves another chance. I think it would be illogical and unreasonable to not try again. Especially at $740 on a small discount.

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
I just bought a 2XL again and sold off my iPhone X. The X is superior hardware wise to just about everything on the market in my opinion, the weight and feel-in-hand are incredible, but at the end of the day iOS is still iOS which is great for many but not for me right now. I told my wife I would try to stop following phone news so much in an attempt to not switch around so much this year.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that iOS vs. Android and even Android from Company A vs Android from Company B is still the perfect example of the saying that, "The grass is always greener on the other side". There is no perfect smartphone. Right now I've decided I'd rather have the openness and fluidity of near-stock Android and the best camera on the market for pictures of my son.

I used to think that I just wanted iPhone hardware with pure android on it. But then I realized that there are definitely things from iOS (like the new gesture system from the X, iMessage/FaceTime, app quality) that I would love to have on pure Android (third-party solutions are available but still a bit clunky compared to having it baked into the OS). Then there are things like easily marking up screenshots that are available on Android OEM skins that aren't on pure android, or things like the retina scanner from the Galaxy phones and FaceID from the X. I guess I'm just saying that it would take a huge mashup of all mobile OS's while also keeping it lean and clean in order to create my perfect smartphone, and that just isn't happening anytime soon, so you guys, like me, will always be in this limbo of gravitating toward what works for us best in the moment.

I'm going to try to better embrace the strengths and be more forgiving of the shortcomings of the phone I'm using from now on so that I don't get the urge to switch so much because then I'll always miss something from the one before it and so on. I guess it really comes down to making a list of what is really most important to you and pick the phone that suits those needs best, but just know that another one will be better at something, but hopefully that something is not as important to your real needs.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Happy Dance! I just got the shipping notification for my Pixel 2!!!!!

I am enjoying being back on my 7 Plus. The only issue with it is that it does not function very well as a phone. Call quality is passable, but barely, and that’s about it. On the X, call quality was quite good.

My first Pixel 2 was okay. My dad said he could hear me just fine but I sounded tinny. The gold standard for my dad and me was my HTC 10. I don’t expect to get that lucky again but I’ll take “okay”.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This thread has led me to one conclusion. As amazing as the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are, there's many on this thread who keeping going back to iPhones. This is with many of us saying the Pixels are awesome but we just prefer iPhone. I honestly think Apple has some huge team out there doing small things we may never know about to keep users hooked. The iPhone is like a drug. I really WANTED to switch permanently to the Pixel 2 XL but I just couldn't do it and I'm not even sure why. If Google can figure out the secret sauce that keeps us hooked on iPhone then Apple is in trouble. But for now I am still getting my Apple fix. :) :(

Reactions: Wildo6882

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
This thread has led me to one conclusion. As amazing as the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are, there's many on this thread who keeping going back to iPhones. This is with many of us saying the Pixels are awesome but we just prefer iPhone. I honestly think Apple has some huge team out there doing small things we may never know about to keep users hooked. The iPhone is like a drug. I really WANTED to switch permanently to the Pixel 2 XL but I just couldn't do it and I'm not even sure why. If Google can figure out the secret sauce that keeps us hooked on iPhone then Apple is in trouble. But for now I am still getting my Apple fix. :) :(
Lol but there I am sending the X back and getting a Pixel 2. Defects are the only thing I am worried about. I already know the features are good, since I already had one. The video camera function was borked. Of course, it could be said I don’t count since I run the 7Plus as my daily driver.

But looking at it another way, Apple lost an iPhone X sale to a Pixel 2 sale. And Pixel 2 will keep me if they send me a device that doesn’t have significant functional defects.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Lol but there I am sending the X back and getting a Pixel 2. Defects are the only thing I am worried about. I already know the features are good, since I already had one. The video camera function was borked. Of course, it could be said I don’t count since I run the 7Plus as my daily driver.

But looking at it another way, Apple lost an iPhone X sale to a Pixel 2 sale. And Pixel 2 will keep me if they send me a device that doesn’t have significant functional defects.

We will see. That's what @Aneres11 and I were saying a few pages back and both of us have returned our Pixels and are on Xs. Lol

Reactions: Aneres11

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Tbh I'm on an X right now, and so long as there are no noticeable defects with my panda, I'm selling my X right away. Not going to give myself a chance to be swayed. I'm all-in on Google's software now and the direction they are going. I'm just over Apple at this point, and the whole schtick. I'm finding there is great value in lesser-priced products that fit my needs.

For example:
Pixelbook is of equal value to me vs the MacBook Pro, at $250 less.
My Fire TV Stick (which was a Christmas gift) is of equal value to me vs Apple TV 4K (I don't use 4K), at $140 less, and has a remote I actually like using!
Pixel 2 XL will (hopefully no defects) be of equal value to me as the iPhone X, at $316 less with Preferred Care than what I paid for the X with AppleCare+.

Really - That's a savings of $706 for three products that will do the same thing I need them to do each day.

The Apple ecosystem is just too expensive, there are rarely any sales to take advantage of, and I'm growing increasingly frustrated with using their products as time passes. The Pixelbook on the other hand has shown me in a short time: This is fantastic and I thoroughly LOVE using this thing.

Reactions: 5105973

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I notice on my Pixel XL that the calendar app shows the correct date, and the clock app shows the time. Like in iOS.
I never noticed that before, was it there all along?
I seem to remember it being some random number showing on those apps, not actual time/date.

Reactions: nospleen

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I notice on my Pixel XL that the calendar app shows the correct date, and the clock app shows the time. Like in iOS.
I never noticed that before, was it there all along?
I seem to remember it being some random number showing on those apps, not actual time/date.

I never noticed that! Pretty neat.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
We will see. That's what @Aneres11 and I were saying a few pages back and both of us have returned our Pixels and are on Xs. Lol

Haha typing from my X now.
Still feel dissatisfied with it as well which doesn’t bode well, but more satisfied than I was with the 2 / 2XL.

I think I could easily be tempted by another Android device this year (I have my eye on what Sony do with rumours of this much needed redesign) but the current crop don’t tempt me.

Apart from the HTC U11 Plus. But that phone isn’t available anywhere other than ebay which I don’t trust. Even HTC direct doesn’t seem to know if it has stock lol.

For me, I like the fluidity of stock Android, but I wouldn’t say it was my preference. A skin often adds more functionality. Like better notifications over apps like the BlackBerry red splat etc. The new coloured dots are a big step forward so I’m pleased they’re there.

Said it before, but the ability to clear all open apps as soon as you open your list and not have to scroll to the top. Nicer looking ‘in phone call’ screens and the ability to remap your squeeze (HTC). If I could remap that assistant squeeze to be a screenshot I’d have had a harder time giving the Pixel up.

Small things really. Stock is great, but I find it a little too bare bones sometimes.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Haha typing from my X now.
Still feel dissatisfied with it as well which doesn’t bode well, but more satisfied than I was with the 2 / 2XL.

I think I could easily be tempted by another Android device this year (I have my eye on what Sony do with rumours of this much needed redesign) but the current crop don’t tempt me.

Apart from the HTC U11 Plus. But that phone isn’t available anywhere other than ebay which I don’t trust. Even HTC direct doesn’t seem to know if it has stock lol.

For me, I like the fluidity of stock Android, but I wouldn’t say it was my preference. A skin often adds more functionality. Like better notifications over apps like the BlackBerry red splat etc. The new coloured dots are a big step forward so I’m pleased they’re there.

Said it before, but the ability to clear all open apps as soon as you open your list and not have to scroll to the top. Nicer looking ‘in phone call’ screens and the ability to remap your squeeze (HTC). If I could remap that assistant squeeze to be a screenshot I’d have had a harder time giving the Pixel up.

Small things really. Stock is great, but I find it a little too bare bones sometimes.

I will probably be buying the S9+ when it comes out in a couple months. I used to hate Touchwiz but the Samsung Experience (or whatever it's called now) is actually great. It adds some nice things to stock Android and I love the Samsung hardware. Then I'll most likely return that and go back to an X. Rinse, repeat. Sigh. I digress.

Can't wait to hear everyone's opinion on their new phones when they receive them!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I will probably be buying the S9+ when it comes out in a couple months. I used to hate Touchwiz but the Samsung Experience (or whatever it's called now) is actually great. It adds some nice things to stock Android and I love the Samsung hardware. Then I'll most likely return that and go back to an X. Rinse, repeat. Sigh. I digress.

Can't wait to hear everyone's opinion on their new phones when they receive them!

I doubt I’ll be tempted by Samsung’s offerings. Had the S8 and didn’t like it and S9 looks a similar form factor.

I say this now and I’ll buy the bloody thing when it’s released. :rolleyes:

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
It will be a very long time before I consider an iPhone again. To me, iOS is stale and I've just had enough of it. And while the Pixel isn't cheap, I wouldn't want to spend even more money on an iPhone. Best phone I've ever used and if I were to switch phones, it would be for a Galaxy. But until they sort out their front cameras, the Pixel will always have the edge.

I wasn't someone who kicked up a fuss over the notch, but having used an X, I really don't like it and hope the phones I like don't follow suit.

Had iPads for 5.5 years and that will be going this year. Either for a Pixelbook or a Surface Pro.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It will be a very long time before I consider an iPhone again. To me, iOS is stale and I've just had enough of it. And while the Pixel isn't cheap, I wouldn't want to spend even more money on an iPhone. Best phone I've ever used and if I were to switch phones, it would be for a Galaxy. But until they sort out their front cameras, the Pixel will always have the edge.

I wasn't someone who kicked up a fuss over the notch, but having used an X, I really don't like it and hope the phones I like don't follow suit.

Had iPads for 5.5 years and that will be going this year. Either for a Pixelbook or a Surface Pro.

You could always get a Pixelbook and install Fuchsia on it?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/2/16840242/google-fuchsia-operating-system-pixelbook

https://github.com/fuchsia-mirror/docs/blob/master/hardware/pixelbook.md

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.