Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Got off the phone with Google about an hour ago, not sure what to think about this one as even they were clueless.

1) As I said the manufacturer date on my new replacement P2XL had a build date of 10/22/2017, which is weird as I had assumed most phones people are receiving now are probably well into the Nov/Dec+ dates. Anyways I provide them with pictures as well as the IMEI number of the phone to initiate another RMA (3rd one), and the Google rep asked me to verify I gave them the correct IMEI. Slightly confused as I had just unboxed it, he had me power on the phone and verify the number is correct, as in their system the phone was showing out of warranty and return period. He had no idea why it showed that, and had to get his supervisor's input on this case.

2) After waiting about 10 minutes, he came back and said that they have approved a 3rd RMA and to have me box up this new replacement with the prepaid label I received for the order. He was extremely nice and apologetic, and said that it was disappointing for me having to deal another RMA. I was told that I'll be receiving a new RMA link within 30 minutes so I can place another order.

3) An hour later I get a call back from the same rep, and was told that instead of getting a new RMA order link today, I will first need to drop off this new phone. He stated that in order to prevent issues with my account, and getting double pre-authorization holds on my credit card, that he first wants me to mail the phone back to them. This way as soon as they see that it's on the way back to the warehouse, the will release the previous CC hold so I can do another advanced RMA. Dejected at this point, I told him I appreciate the information, and at this point theres really not much I can do other than to just wait another week hoping for another issue-free device. I was told that he has initiated a call back to me tomorrow to generate the new RMA order, so we'l see if I actually get a call back.

So yeah, I think at this point I'm done. Love the phone but this past month at dealing with a single problem is really putting a sour taste to my mouth. I'll probably be listing the replacement phone I receive next week here on the marketplace for cheap, as I just don't think luck is on my side this time around.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Received my 2nd RMA moments ago, somehow got a unit with a build date of 10/22/17.

And the kicker.... damaged out of the box with a noticeable nick in the aluminum to the bottom left corner. :mad:
Whoa. Did you get a refurb?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
This camera....drool

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180103153935802_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180103153935802_COVER.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 113

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Okay - I'm going on the Panda. Phone is pretty stunning imo. Don't see any noticeable defects on hardware or software. All looks good early. And hot damn Samsung can make a phenomenal internet browser.

The Samsung internet browser has really blown me away on this phone typically I'm a chrome guy but I'm using the Samsung browser 90% of the time it's a very smooth you could adjust the font size better and I like the menu bar at the bottom it just works really really nice

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
The Samsung internet browser has really blown me away on this phone typically I'm a chrome guy but I'm using the Samsung browser 90% of the time it's a very smooth you could adjust the font size better and I like the menu bar at the bottom it just works really really nice
It's very fluid. Very similar to the fluidity of Safari on iOS. Chrome really just needs ad block support and I'd be using it. It's my preferred desktop browser.

Reactions: timeconsumer

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
This was a tough one for me when I first went to Android. I tried out all of the recommended browsers but hated all of them. Then I went with the Samsung Internet Browser and it gave me the closest Safari like experience. It's the best browser on Android in my opinion. Plus you can get content blockers for that browser from the Play Store.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Then I went with the Samsung Internet Browser and it gave me the closest Safari like experience.
This will be the single biggest reason it will be easy for me to switch from iOS to Android. I didn't need iMessage, or a similar service, but a good reliable browser. Safari was routinely 50% of my battery usage on a daily basis, and Samsung Internet gives equal performance on this platform. I wish there was a desktop version, but that's where I'll use Chrome.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
This will be the single biggest reason it will be easy for me to switch from iOS to Android. I didn't need iMessage, or a similar service, but a good reliable browser. Safari was routinely 50% of my battery usage on a daily basis, and Samsung Internet gives equal performance on this platform. I wish there was a desktop version, but that's where I'll use Chrome.
It's interesting that you mentioned that, I just looked at my iPhone battery statistics. Currently Safari is 43% of my usage, followed by Messages at 26%.

Reactions: 5105973 and Cryates

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Not to litter this thread with small comments here and there, but as I'm using these Google devices (Pixel 2XL, Google Home, Pixelbook) I'm realizing just how SMART the integration is between them. For example, saying "Hey Google, how long for me to get to work?" to the Home will prompt her, almost immediately, to say it's an 18-minute commute and to check my phone for the directions. I then check my phone to find out she's pushed an alert with the directions. Pretty amazing.

Google Assistant quite easily obliterates Siri, and is actually useful.

Last edited:

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I got my Pixel 2 (small) about a week ago from Target. I was on the fence about getting it because I've been so entrenched in the iOS environment, but the $300 verizon discount and $250 Target gift card swayed me. How wrong could I go for an effective net of $100? Plus I got to keep my old phone.
Did anyone else get in on that deal?

Like everyone else, I've been very impressed with the camera. Especially the selfie camera, although I do not take many selfies, lol. I'm in the process of adjusting. Some things I like, others I don't. There is no perfect OS.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Came back to this section to discuss the Pixel 2:

I decided to try the Pixel 2 myself and am not as pleased as I thought I would be.

What I like about the phone: Smart Lock w/ Trusted Face is about as fast as FaceID. Quick charge being native is good. The camera is nice. Software is clean and provides optimal performance. The stereo speakers best my 8+. FP sensor is awesome too. Clearly White is a good look on the Pixel 2.

What I do not like about the phone: the plastic coating makes it feel more like a cheap Windows Lumia device rather than a premium flagship. You cannot reply to texts from the lockscreen without unlocking your phone. iOS allows me to connect to secured Wi-Fi access points easier since it doesn't require a new notification to appear or opening your web-browser on its own. Chrome doesn't feel so fluid either. Safari feels much nicer. I also do not like the price tag of $600. The bezels are awful.

To me, the Pixel 2 feels a bit overpriced because there are more affordable options with few compromises. With Samsung, you get Samsung Pay, Samsung Pass, Iris Scanning, and a nicer build quality for less than $600. LG G6 can get you a two year warranty, 18:9 aspect ratio, high resolution screen, and a more nicer build quality. It is too much hassle to sell my 8+ and then get the Pixel 2, especially when there are some pretty aggressive deals from Verizon and the device will be worth a lot less next year.

To me, I think I will stick with my iPhone 8+. I am so used to iMessage (especially with Mac), better app support, a bigger screen, better battery life, a front facing fp sensor, my Apple Watch, etc.

I also happened to get a Canadian version of the phone because it mentioned Canada somewhere on the packaging and also mentioned French as well. Is that normal? Will give it another day or so, but my mind is leaning towards the 8+.

Reactions: Nikhil72

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
In the UK.. the Pixel 2 range is currently on a £130 off promotion from various retailers!
This makes the regular Pixel 2 £500!!
I’m so tempted to get one as a backup!

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I got a silver 256 GB iPhone 8 Plus for $630 after trading in my iPhone 7 Plus and returning my X. So, adding up the 8 Plus and the Pixel 2 that came up to about $740 after the discount but adding back state tax.

That’s two awesome phones for about what the IPhone X cost, not even counting the Apple Care Plus that threw the cost up to close to $1500 if I remember correctly. I love this LCD display. True Tone looks beautiful on it, not some weird salmon pink like had on the OLED.

Oh and jeez you should have seen the salesperson and the manager try to first block my return entirely and then try to make it for store credit and act like they were doing me a favor because I was past my return period. I was not, because my husband bought the X online for pickup as a Christmas present and checked the extended holiday return terms as he was doing so. :mad: Then they tried to claim that the extended holiday return period started after their Black Friday sale and my phone had been purchased before that, um no, wtf. And anyway, what Black Friday sale?...you mean the one where they discounted old stuff and Bluetooth accessories. I really have no idea what they were on about.

Then they kept asking me if I paid full price for it, indicating that would make a difference in their willingness to give me a refund. Er what now? Don’t try to pretend that an iPhone X was ever on sale when people still had to wait days for them. Jeez. They had to use our receipt because they claim something wasn’t right with their records. They were extremely courteous but they wasted a good chunk of our time with this back and forth between the manager and the salesperson throwing up these absurd roadblocks that could not stand against what is clearly published on the Apple Store website that we were perfectly in conformance with.

When I got there, there was a lady seething with anger. They apparently had her waiting for something that was taking forever that should not have.

What on earth has happened to Apple? They never used to play these stupid games with customers like pretending they don’t even know the start and end dates for the holiday returns. We’ve been going there for over a decade. I’ve never seen them act like a shady used car dealership before.

Sorry for the long story but that runaround may play a part in this possibly being my last flagship level iPhone, if the Pixels step up their game going forth. From the wretched experiences documented in this thread, Google is not even remotely there yet, but I see promise. That’s why I’ll continue to run two lines and two platforms and see what happens.

Anyway, today my Pixel 2 should be arriving unless the winter storms delay it in transit. Unfortunately that’s a very real risk.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Not a fan of the keyboard experience either, especially on Swiftkey. Feels way too compact even if I readjust it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.