Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My Pixel 2 was saying 16 hrs and 14 minutes estimated on a full charge. Is that fair for it? Or will it last me all day with heavy usage?
I don't know. I'm using the heck out of it with 1:49 screen on and 11 hours 11minutes estimated time based on my current usage.

I am getting comparable video quality in horrendous low light conditions between Snowball and my 8 Plus. I don't see any signs of that horrible video defect that I had on the last Pixel 2.

I do get a terrible black crush or smear on the video I took in a very dark room. I looked at the same video on my 8 Plus screen and it did not have that kind of artifacting. So the video is fine and this is a display issue. Which I have read about so it's not a shock. Some people say their Pixel 2s don't do this so I suppose I could return it and see if I get one that doesn't. But if my tests don't reveal any other flaws I probably will just live with it. I couldn't see any details at that level of shadowing anyway even on the iPhone.

Goodness typing on this phone is challenging. I will make the effort to get used to it.

It is really good to get on this form of Android again. The pwm does make my eyes tired but without the issue of glare that I suffered on my own X display, I'm about at the same situation as I was on my husband's iPhone X, which is tolerable. LCD is still my best friend.

Black crush or not this display is gorgeous. Wow.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
A friend is using an unedited b/w picture I took of him with the 2XL for his website.

toddbradshaw_2018.jpg

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I never pay attention to estimates, they seem pointless. An estimate won't know exactly how you'll use your phone. Charge it up, use it for a day and decide if it's good or not.

Is it good on standby at least? I notice the Pixel 2 is draining from 84% to 81% without a SIM in it on Wi-Fi in about 30 minutes of just sitting there. I need something with good battery life, especially standby time. I want to keep the Pixel, but all the quirks and issues make me want to go back to iOS until I can find something with a good balance of software updates/strong hardware/good photography/battery life.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Is it good on standby at least? I notice the Pixel 2 is draining from 84% to 81% without a SIM in it on Wi-Fi in about 30 minutes of just sitting there. I need something with good battery life, especially standby time. I want to keep the Pixel, but all the quirks and issues make me want to go back to iOS until I can find something with a good balance of software updates/strong hardware/good photography/battery life.

I honestly don't look at the estimates. Just looked now after reading your post and it estimates 18 hours. Currently on 84% with 1.5 hours use from taking it off charge at 95%.

I've certainly never had any complaints with the battery. It's always seen me through a day. Even with only cellular use of maps, internet, social media & lots of pictures taking.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I don't know. I'm using the heck out of it with 1:49 screen on and 11 hours 11minutes estimated time based on my current usage.

I am getting comparable video quality in horrendous low light conditions between Snowball and my 8 Plus. I don't see any signs of that horrible video defect that I had on the last Pixel 2.

I do get a terrible black crush or smear on the video I took in a very dark room. I looked at the same video on my 8 Plus screen and it did not have that kind of artifacting. So the video is fine and this is a display issue. Which I have read about so it's not a shock. Some people say their Pixel 2s don't do this so I suppose I could return it and see if I get one that doesn't. But if my tests don't reveal any other flaws I probably will just live with it. I couldn't see any details at that level of shadowing anyway even on the iPhone.

Goodness typing on this phone is challenging. I will make the effort to get used to it.

It is really good to get on this form of Android again. The pwm does make my eyes tired but without the issue of glare that I suffered on my own X display, I'm about at the same situation as I was on my husband's iPhone X, which is tolerable. LCD is still my best friend.

Black crush or not this display is gorgeous. Wow.

Seeing as how Jamezr has issues with the Pixel XL 2 quality control? Might have to just return it and reassess Android at a later point?
[doublepost=1515117723][/doublepost]
I honestly don't look at the estimates. Just looked now after reading your post and it estimates 18 hours. Currently on 84% with 1.5 hours use from taking it off charge at 95%.

I've certainly never had any complaints with the battery. It's always seen me through a day. Even with only cellular use of maps, internet, social media & lots of pictures taking.

I hope standby is good on it. The typing is a PITA (pain in the ass). Plus, the selling my iPhone 8+ aspect has me not too keen on keeping the Pixel 2.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I just don't care that much about black crush or smear. I mean, those things exist on my device to an extent, but I'm very rarely looking at my screen in a dark room with the brightness very low. And if I am doing that, I'm probably just looking at stupid stuff before I fall asleep.

Everyone's different though, so I can understand where it would bother some.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Nice picture.

So... do I email him...?
Haha most definitely not. I believe he used the site when he was doing freelance graphic design work.

Brings up a good point though - I need to edit the site out so lurking trolls won't spam him. Haha.
[doublepost=1515125248][/doublepost]This seems pretty good

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180104-230656.png
    Screenshot_20180104-230656.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: comper

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I just don't care that much about black crush or smear. I mean, those things exist on my device to an extent, but I'm very rarely looking at my screen in a dark room with the brightness very low. And if I am doing that, I'm probably just looking at stupid stuff before I fall asleep.

What I am seeing is it happening when the video is dark or the scene is dark. The dark part of the video becomes blocky. The video is actually fine when viewed on another device. So the camera is good. That's what had me worried--that the camera was causing that blobby mess.

Anyway so far I'm enjoying the Pixel 2.

Is everyone using the GMAIL app or is there a better one people have been using in much the same way a lot of us have chosen the Samsung browser?

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Is everyone using the GMAIL app or is there a better one people have been using in much the same way a lot of us have chosen the Samsung browser?

I’m curious about this too. I usually use Spark on my iphone which i love. I’m wondering if there is a close alternative to it. Also i’m trying to figure out the best texting app for the the Pixel. Would it be the stock messaging app or something like Textra? Thanks!

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Also, settings will be different. I don't have push on for emails and use

I use Edison email for all my email accounts. I prefer how it works compared to the Gmail app.

Reactions: 5105973

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
There are 2 major features that could pull me away from iPhones - Google Assistant & Google Maps. Both pummel the Apple equivalents & are possibly the most used 3rd party features on my iPhone.

Had a play with a Pixel 2 XL in store recently, & it tempted me bigtime....but that screen size is too big, & the regular Pixel's bezels/design were a big let down.

The X is still king for me, but every year, I eagerly await Google's new Pixel iteration as it's getting closer to my preferred device...

Though, Apple keeps lifting its game too, & if IOS just allowed an option to set a default Voice Assistant & Map/Navigation App, then I'll stick with Apple for life.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
The standard Gmail app feels too cluttered, or maybe it's just my inbox is too cluttered. I'll probably look for an alternative mail app at some point.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

I'm not a huge fan of Gmail.
I use Outlook, which I find works really well. I order from Amazon a bit, and outlook has an in built tracker for parcels that is visible on any emails from the place you order from (Amazon being one of them) where available. Pretty cool.

I even use Outlook on my iPhones as I prefer it to the standard iPhone Mail app.

I did go through a phase with Blu Mail as well, which is another firm favourite!

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
What I am seeing is it happening when the video is dark or the scene is dark. The dark part of the video becomes blocky. The video is actually fine when viewed on another device. So the camera is good. That's what had me worried--that the camera was causing that blobby mess.

I'm using this email app and really like it. It does push email with iCloud which is a bonus for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.easilydo.mail

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

I use the Gmail app for Gmail and Nine for my work's exchange account. I like keeping my work and personal email in 2 different apps. Gmail works great for my needs. I've tried other clients out there but just come back to the tried and true Gmail

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m curious about this too. I usually use Spark on my iphone which i love. I’m wondering if there is a close alternative to it. Also i’m trying to figure out the best texting app for the the Pixel. Would it be the stock messaging app or something like Textra? Thanks!
I was testing the stock messaging app last night with my family and was shocked how much I liked it. To my surprise the photos we shared in text appeared to be fine and not horribly reduced in quality. Maybe because we are all on At&T and the carrier has done something. Today I am going to see what happens to short video clips. Usually what happens when pictures and videos are shared between someone on Android and someone on iOS is a degradation of image quality. I've experienced that with one of the moms who uses an older Samsung. If it's possible to exchange pictures and videos between iPhones and Pixels without massive loss of quality that would be one barrier down to making a switch to Pixels (for me personally) someday.

When I am on Samsung I use Textra because I could customize the look of it to match my themes.

I'm loving Pixel Android so much so far. I understand now why @Tig Bitties says he wishes he could have Android on an iPhone X. Even though I am quite content with iOS for the most part, just the level of customization on this non-rooted version of Android alone is going to my head. For the people who are adept at rooting and modifying their phones to do exactly what they want, that has got to be a blast, even if it introduces some complications most people don't want to deal with in their daily driver.

Long long ago in a galaxy far far away I used to create custom content for a popular game and used to beta test custom content created by other artists.
There's still a part of me that hates taking what the companies want to give us and wants to rip it down and rebuild it. I approached it as an artist and not as a technical person, but I did used to deal with file modifications in order to get my custom content to work.

I'm not going to do anything to my poor Snowball, but I might go all Doctor Frankenstein at some point on my HTC 10, when my home office is finished and I get my computers up and running again.

I am getting used to typing on this keyboard. I do unfortunately still have difficulty with my vision and ability to focus on a pulse width modulation controlled OLED display. That is the same issue I had with the iPhone X. Fortunately there is no glare like I experienced on my X. It's about what I would be willing to live with when/if I take my husband's X. The reason I did not permanently switch and take my husband's X now is I saw the opportunity to get a better pairing of phones for my needs.

I've said it before but it bears repeating that I got lucky and have a lovely display. There is a very subtle gradient of white with a cool hue on the left to white with a pink hue on the right but that is very unobtrusive and very much common on Samsung displays since last year. It is much much better than the pink "frame" that ringed my S8+ display and my iPhone X display under some ambient lighting conditions.

My husband continues to be envious of Snowball. I know he wants one now because he sees me getting all into this phone and he doesn't know what's got me so fascinated and now he thinks he js missing something and wrote his Pixel 2 XL off too soon. I told him he made the right decision and to grow up and just be patient and wait for the Pixel 3. He's not a jerk or anything like that, but when it comes to gadgets we both act like kids, much to the amusement of the actual kids who watch us bemusedly.

Wow I typed this long post on Snowball! :D
[doublepost=1515166333][/doublepost]Oops, goodness I forgot to thank you all for your email suggestions. I greatly appreciate them all and will be checking out all of the suggestions.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Maybe because we are all on At&T and the carrier has done something.
AT&T has Advanced Messaging now that will let you send images up to 10MB. That's who I'm with, using the stock message app, and notice no degrade in quality on my wife's iPhone.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Pixel 2 stand-by time is pretty bad. I could lose 3% battery on just wi-fi and no sim inside after an hour. Lost like 15% overnight as well. Phone would sit idle. Apple's stand-by time is much better.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Pixel 2 stand-by time is pretty bad. I could lose 3% battery on just wi-fi and no sim inside after an hour. Lost like 15% overnight as well. Phone would sit idle. Apple's stand-by time is much better.
Oh I had mine on the charger overnight. My last one seemed to have really good standby time, but I admit I wasn’t trying to keep track.

My iPhone 8plus and my Pixel 2 are both draining kind of fast but that’s because they’re being newly set up AND I won’t leave them alone. I’m so much more happy with this team (and my S8+) than I was with the IPhone X and the S8+. It’s not that the X and S8+ were bad phones. It’s just that they were too similar in too many ways. They didn’t play up to each other’s strengths and shore up each other’s weaknesses as well as my new team.

My S8+ has incredible amounts of standby time. If only I could figure out what is causing my camera lag this time. :( I’m forever troubleshooting slowdowns on that phone. My husband has the same issue with his. Ah well, I’m not here to bash my Sammy. A lot of people never have lag on their Samsungs so it’s probably down to something we’ve done or have loaded on and not the phone’s fault. It’s akways there when I need it and that’s good enough.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Ah, I see what you mean now. Looking at the same video in a daylit room, the black crush doesn't appear, somehow. What is this sorcery? :eek:

I have a few more things to test, like making an actual phone call on it, but so far Snowball is awesome. :D My iPhone 8 Plus is really sweet, too. I love them both. Snowball is the more interesting of the two, though.

I hate the two cheap cases I got from Amazon for Snowball, though. I'm probably better off using the phone without a case like I did for much of yesterday. I will unfortunately have to leave Snowball at home because life in my purse can be rough even in my dedicated phone pocket. I'll get a proper case for it soon. I have glass screen protectors arriving in a few days. Goodness only knows how those will work out. There are so many fraudulent reviews on Amazon these days that 4 and 5 star ratings often mean nothing anymore.

Reactions: Cryates

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Ah, I see what you mean now. Looking at the same video in a daylit room, the black crush doesn't appear, somehow. What is this sorcery? :eek:
Ha yeah, I'm going to assume it has something to do with the contrast change in a dim display and the surrounding ambient light. If it did it all the time, then it would definitely bother me, but so far I very very rarely notice it.
---
I'm on day three, and absolutely loving my panda. Have not had a single thought of switching back to my X, which is nice. Probably going to go ahead and sell it this weekend. My AirPods work very well with the phone as well. Don't think I'm ready to try Pixelbuds, but the new IconX buds look tempting.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

Either you have a faulty battery or you have apps draining it. A fully working until will not drain the battery by 15% overnight. I always airplane mode mine when I go to sleep anyway, losing 1% overnight.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
Played with a regular Pixel 2 at Best Buy today, it sure does put my Nexus 5 to shame lol. Probably gonna have to bite the bullet soon and just buy one. Sucks when you have to buy phones full price.

Played with an S8 as well and it feels great in the hand, if only it ran stock Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.