Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sadly I am returning my Storm Trooper Pixel 2 XL. This has been my 3rd Pixel 2 XL. It has started to to have touch issues and the screen becomes unresponsive. I either have to hit the back button a few times for it to work again or restart the phone. I tried a factory reset and that did not work.
So spent some time with the phone last evening in a walk with my son just to make sure the issues was still there after the factory reset. Still happening in certain apps and webpages. Tried the same apps and webpages on my other phones and they don't have this issues in the exact spot the Pixel 2 does.

I am done with the Pixel 2 XL not gonna try a fourth one. I love the phone but it is ridiculous to have so many quality control issues with a phone model.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Sadly I am returning my Storm Trooper Pixel 2 XL. This has been my 3rd Pixel 2 XL. It has started to to have touch issues and the screen becomes unresponsive. I either have to hit the back button a few times for it to work again or restart the phone. I tried a factory reset and that did not work.
So spent some time with the phone last evening in a walk with my son just to make sure the issues was still there after the factory reset. Still happening in certain apps and webpages. Tried the same apps and webpages on my other phones and they don't have this issues in the exact spot the Pixel 2 does.

I am done with the Pixel 2 XL not gonna try a fourth one. I love the phone but it is ridiculous to have so many quality control issues with a phone model.

I had touch screen tapping issues on the Pixel 2 as well. I am going to RMA mine for a refund too since I wouldn't want to saddle myself up with something with software compromises that I normally don't need to make on iPhone/iOS. Plus the 8+ battery life and screen size isn't worth losing either.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
It is indeed cramped. Even for a small woman like me.

This phone isn't for me despite pure Android, timely software updates, a 2 year warranty, the best camera, the Google Assistant.

If I were to get back to Android, maybe a Pixel 3 w/o quality control issues and bad bezels could be something of note. Samsung hasn't proven itself with timely updates since the phone is still sitting on Nougat. At some point, I expect the S8/S8+ to drop to like $300-$350 directly from Samsung before the S9/S9+ come out. Yet, that device wouldn't be worth it until they show better updates.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Oh no, that is a terrible shame. I hope I have better luck with the smaller Pixel 2. I’m not sure if the larger 2 XL is plagued with more issues than the smaller one or if they are both snakebit. They were made by two different companies, so I’m hoping I have a chance for a good Pixel. I’m going to miss your Star Wars pictures but I guess I can make my own, now. Still, I enjoyed how you set yours up. The second one you have with several porgs stalking your dog is my iPad mini wallpaper now.

Oh well I’ll watch your adventures with the Galaxy S9. I know you’re going to get one.

I thought LG was making good phones this year. Are all of the quality issues due to LG’s manufacturing or Google’s design specs?

They weren’t even doing anything challenging like Apple did with the notch. You really could hardly get more plain and straightforward than the design of the Pixel 2 and 2XL. Really, I look at those phones and Weird Al’s “Amish Paradise” starts playing in my head. And that’s part of the charm of them.

How could they screw this up like this?
[doublepost=1515080593][/doublepost]
This phone isn't for me despite pure Android, timely software updates, a 2 year warranty, the best camera, the Google Assistant.

If I were to get back to Android, maybe a Pixel 3 w/o quality control issues and bad bezels could be something of note. Samsung hasn't proven itself with timely updates since the phone is still sitting on Nougat. At some point, I expect the S8/S8+ to drop to like $300-$350 directly from Samsung before the S9/S9+ come out. Yet, that device wouldn't be worth it until they show better updates.
My S8+ is lagging badly. The camera insists on making me wait the first time I use it on any given day. I don’t have a lot loaded onto it so I’m waiting to see what people have to say about the S9 and lag. Otherwise, I really like it. I’m not happy having to run it in Adaptive mode to avoid a pink tint defect, but for what I do on it, it’s not a deal breaker.

Features on Samsung are great. Updates and lag are what drove me from love to the friend zone. :p;) FWIW the lag can be fixed. It’s just annoying that it is so persistent.

This Pixel 2 just has got to work for me. If it ever gets here. It looks like I’m living in a snow globe that someone shook. School has been canceled so of course I woke at 4 am this morning. I fully intend to go back to bed for a nap.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Sorry to hear @jamezr
It's as if it were doomed from the start with your Pixel 2 XL :(

Re the cramped experience of the regular sized Pixel, it's true that it felt a little squeezed.
But if you can get past that then there's so much to like. I managed to find a happy medium with the keyboard which was removing word suggestions, google search, number row at the top and swipe and making the height of the keyboard the tallest it could be. But it still wasn't ideal.

On my LG V30, the typing experience is sublime. That width really makes a hell of a difference.

I had an OG Pixel for a short time last year and didn't get on too well with it. The 2 I liked much more and it was difficult to give up, but I echo what someone else said about it feeling like a Lumia. I thought the exact same.

Although the current price point for both phones is probably spot on for what you're getting and compared to some flagships, is a bit of a bargain. I have to wonder how much Google's price drop decision has been influenced by the reported problems seen by press and consumers though, as price drops for the OG Pixel were practically non-existent.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m guessing the price drop is only for the U.K. and Verizon. It seems to be back to normal pricing right now on the US web site. I got a break of only $50. I think there was a more substantial discount during the Christmas buying time but I was too afraid to check. I was in that awkward place where it could have ended up a present, so I couldn’t buy it for myself. If there was a good discount I just didn’t want to know.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I’m guessing the price drop is only for the U.K. and Verizon. It seems to be back to normal pricing right now on the US web site. I got a break of only $50. I think there was a more substantial discount during the Christmas buying time but I was too afraid to check. I was in that awkward place where it could have ended up a present, so I couldn’t buy it for myself. If there was a good discount I just didn’t want to know.

Oh. That's interesting.
I thought it would have been discounted everywhere?

Strange...
Yeah the regular is £499 now - I paid that for my BB KEYone back in April! And the Pixel 2 hasn't been out that long really.
The 2 XL can be nabbed for £669 - which again is a huge saving compared to the £799 it was originally.

Good time to be in the UK I guess!

Reactions: 5105973

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Really irksome to hear and see these quality control issues. Definitely making it difficult to sway users from the apple camp with the problems.

Google should resurrect the Google play edition devices.

But clearly neither Google nor the handset manufacturer's are interested in doing so.

I have no idea what I am going to do when it comes time to retire my main device, an s7 edge

I've been on the fence about ordering another XL 2 for myself since I have 2 phones on retirement. Also been on the fence about trying a new platform.

Gosh remember when tinker toys cost a lot less when you was a kid? o_O

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Now I feel bad that I’m not using mine. I had zero hardware issues with mine when I was using it. Some software issues, but no hardware ones.

Also, unrelated, this keyboard sound bug on my X is going to drive me insane.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Now I feel bad that I’m not using mine. I had zero hardware issues with mine when I was using it. Some software issues, but no hardware ones.

Also, unrelated, this keyboard sound bug on my X is going to drive me insane.
What keyboard sound bug?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My keyboard sound is WAY too loud on the latest beta.
Oh, I had set mine up from a backup of all the settings on my 7 Plus. I had turned keyboard sounds off years ago and forgot that the keyboard could even make sounds! :eek::D

Would it bother you even more to turn the sounds completely off?

Edit to add I am still waiting for my Pixel 2 to arrive. In the middle of a blizzard no less. If it makes it here today I’m naming it Snowball.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Oh, I had set mine up from a backup of all the settings on my 7 Plus. I had turned keyboard sounds off years ago and forgot that the keyboard could even make sounds! :eek::D

Would it bother you even more to turn the sounds completely off?

Edit to add I am still waiting for my Pixel 2 to arrive. In the middle of a blizzard no less. If it makes it here today I’m naming it Snowball.

Yeah. I mean, I like having the sounds when they’re the right volume. And sometimes they are. And then out of nowhere, it ramps up in volume. No way of knowing when it’s going to be the right volume and not.

Als, good luck with your Pixel 2. May it show up with zero defects.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
With the Pixel 3 coming out later this year, and most likely being HTC manufactured for both the small phone and XL phone, I wonder what AMOLED display they'll use ? A Samsung made screen ?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
With the Pixel 3 coming out later this year, and most likely being HTC manufactured for both the small phone and XL phone, I wonder what AMOLED display they'll use ? A Samsung made screen ?
Well Apple and Google both invested in LG’s OLED display manufacturing business. And the latest rumors reported here on MR are that everything is good to go for the 2018 iPhones to get LG displays already.

I suppose that could mean things are ready for Google, too. It’s a bit confusing to me who is making what for Google. Google has invested in LG and HTC. Or at least HTC engineers and designers if I remember correctly.

I hope they hire a good q.c. person.
6DC05C8C-6C18-4C12-B289-BC92A182F004.jpeg

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Samsung probably. I would be down for a Pixel 3 with minimal bezels, a larger screen, bigger battery, and stronger build quality with a better competitive price. I would only grab the Pixel 2 again if it was priced at $300 or less. Back to the iOS sections for me.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It’s here, but it’s so cold I don’t dare try turning it on.:confused: It feels like a slab of ice. :eek:

I’m going to get it up to room temperature first. I answered the door immediately so it wasn’t sitting outside for more than a minute. It’s just that cold here. It must be awfully cold in those Fed-Ex trucks, too. Those poor drivers. :eek::confused:

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
@GrumpyMom Glad your phone finally arrived. And it’s a good idea to warm up your phone and get it temperature stabilized.

I’m also not surprised by your experience at an Apple store. Their retail outlets are not the same as they used to be and i would rather do things online now. I’m glad Google is known for their customer service despite them being online. I just hope I won’t have to use them as much as some people have on here.

Hopefully my phone arrives tomorrow with the express shipping I paid:p.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m setting it up finally. I took a nap and then checked on it and it was still frozen so I had to tuck it into my sleeve to warm it.

The display is gorgeous. It looks like my X display in terms of there being a barely detectable flicker but from what I can tell it’s nicer in most respects. The whites aren’t as harsh and there’s no pink border. I can’t really evaluate the display until I get a full day with it under different lighting conditions.

I’m not as worried about pwm on this display because it’s not going to be my primary ebook device anyway. That job goes to my 8 Plus. But I’ll give it a try and see.

Of course it’s a speedy little beast so far. The Touch ID on this one and the last one I had are so fast!

So much to test!

My husband is soooooo jelly! It really does bug him that I have a phone that he does not have. He does not mind that I have the 8 Plus because he has an X and thinks that’s better. We both have S8+. He is itching to test a Pixel again. He’s such a kid and I’m such a bad influence on him! :D

Of course he and everybody else got Nintendo Switches this past year and I didn’t. He did get me an X, bless his heart, and I traded that for two phones. Mwahahaha! Not my fault if I decided that would be more fun for me.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
My Pixel 2 was saying 16 hrs and 14 minutes estimated on a full charge. Is that fair for it? Or will it last me all day with heavy usage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.