Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The black gave me a nails on the chalkboard sort of feel. Probably just me but not something I’d enjoy holding naked. I thought the Panda felt very nice.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I hope everyone had a safe and happy New years last night! I was pretty impressed with the low light ability of the camera.

Here's one or the funnier videos from our evening, lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdZKbZOjV_b/

Also, I ordered a Pixelbook. Thanks everyone for their thoughts in this thread!
ROFLMAO. I listened with headphones on and when one of those things exploded and you all went scattering I jumped in my seat!

The audio was pretty good, too!

Speaking of good audio, my dreams of being able to record immersive sound can come true with a more graceful form factor than the external mic I’ve been using on my Apple phones.

Currently this $299 Sennheiser earphones with 3-D sound recording capabilities is only available for iPhones and lightning connectors but a version for Android is coming out! https://en-us.sennheiser.com/in-ear-headphones-3d-audio-ambeo-smart-headset

This is a lot of money to be able to do what an HTC-U11 can already supposedly do with preserving the immersiveness and detail of audio for our videos. My S7 Edge and S7 already can as well. But my S8+ does a less impressive job of it, oddly enough. And the Pixels and iPhones are resolutely monoaural despite being so expensive, so they need this.

Because it’s a lot of money I’m going to need to figure out which path I intend to commit to for video recording. iOS or Android. That’s something I’ll intend to evaluate while I save up for these headphones and wait to see what phones are released in the new year that may render the need for this product moot.

Reactions: nospleen

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I hope everyone had a safe and happy New years last night! I was pretty impressed with the low light ability of the camera.

Omg the dog on your Instagram. What a babe.
Good taste in dogs aaaaaand portable computers haha. Hope you enjoy your Pixelbook. I love mine!

In other news. I’ve done a 180 and I’ve decided to sell the Pixel 2 and keep my X.
It’s been a really difficult decision for me. First world problems and all that. Felt like a real spoiled brat as if it was some sort of important life decision. I mean get a grip.

In the end I just thought about which device I like to use more and ultimately that is the iPhone X. I won’t list why as I’ll be covering old ground, but it’s just a more enjoyable phone to use day to day for me.

Pixel still fantastic and I’ll still be posting in here and in the Android section. No retirement for me anytime soon haha.

Happy New Year to you all too :).

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Good taste in dogs aaaaaand portable computers haha. Hope you enjoy your Pixelbook. I love mine!

In other news. I’ve done a 180 and I’ve decided to sell the Pixel 2 and keep my X.
It’s been a really difficult decision for me. First world problems and all that. Felt like a real spoiled brat as if it was some sort of important life decision. I mean get a grip.

In the end I just thought about which device I like to use more and ultimately that is the iPhone X. I won’t list why as I’ll be covering old ground, but it’s just a more enjoyable phone to use day to day for me.

Pixel still fantastic and I’ll still be posting in here and in the Android section. No retirement for me anytime soon haha.

You can't go wrong with the X! The hardware is absolute top notch. I would love to have one with the saddle leather Apple case, but I can't give up this camera!

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

I'm a big bonfire guy, but that's a serious bonfire :). I like it.

May I ask what part of the country do you live in ? Very pretty outdoor pics on your IG.

Reactions: 5105973

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I'm a big bonfire guy, but that's a serious bonfire :). I like it.

May I ask what part of the country do you live in ? Very pretty outdoor pics on your IG.

South Texas. We live in Mico, right outside of San Antonio.

We use the wood from an old corral on our property when we have a bonfire. It makes a nice crackling sound. Something peaceful about it!

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
South Texas. We live in Mico, right outside of San Antonio.

We use the wood from an old corral on our property when we have a bonfire. It makes a nice crackling sound. Something peaceful about it!

That looks like a beautiful area, good for you. I'm not familiar with that part of the country, being a Chicago suburbanite

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

I could tell by your posts that this would be your ultimate decision to keep the x but I’d never have said that :) welcome back to iPhone.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
That looks like a beautiful area, good for you. I'm not familiar with that part of the country, being a Chicago suburbanite

Ah the Chicago Suburbs. Bet they’re beautiful right now in what feels like -50 degree weather. I’m in Southern Illinois about 45 miles from Kentucky and it was -19 with the wind chill here when I woke up this morning.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois

What are you doing with your Pixelbook? I kind of thought you may go that way. Every time I try to go to Android, no matter how awesome it is, I run back to iOS. I have a feeling I’m going to stay there. But keep rolling with google services to keep me somewhat platform agnostic.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
What are you doing with your Pixelbook? I kind of thought you may go that way. Every time I try to go to Android, no matter how awesome it is, I run back to iOS. I have a feeling I’m going to stay there. But keep rolling with google services to keep me somewhat platform agnostic.

The Pixelbook is going absolutely nowhere.
I love it. It still works with iPhone fairly well. I have my photos auto back up to Google Photos so they appear on my Pixelbook normally as if I've shot them on an Android device. I also have the same setup with Google Drive on my iPhone.

I am getting my Android fix from the Pixelbook so that should tide me over until something else catches my eye... whatever that may be! :rolleyes:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

It’s good to be platform agnostic and run a mix. Pick and choose what works best for you.

I know I’m going to miss most aspects of using the X. It’s my favorite phone except for the issues my eyes were having with the display and my conscience was having with our family paying pretty much $3000 for two new iPhones for us in 2017.

I’ll eventually get my husband’s X. The pwm flicker won’t be ideal for me but the whites on his X are much less glaring and blinding than on my X that’s going back. As a hand me down it will be fine.

Oh my goodness last night after midnight I saw my Pixel 2 order still hadn’t been processed and I came so close to canceling it and ordering the Panda. But the discount was gone and I just could not bring myself to pay close to $1000 again on a phone. I was tempted because of the bigger battery and the fact I was having to charge my X twice a day. My husband said he did notice my X was having issues with something draining the battery fast despite it supposedly being suspended and not actively running. I forget which app it was.

I think it’s just good it’s going back.

Aneres11 what kind of battery life were you getting on your Pixel 2?

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
It’s good to be platform agnostic and run a mix. Pick and choose what works best for you.

I know I’m going to miss most aspects of using the X. It’s my favorite phone except for the issues my eyes were having with the display and my conscience was having with our family paying pretty much $3000 for two new iPhones for us in 2017.

I’ll eventually get my husband’s X. The pwm flicker won’t be ideal for me but the whites on his X are much less glaring and blinding than on my X that’s going back. As a hand me down it will be fine.

Oh my goodness last night after midnight I saw my Pixel 2 order still hadn’t been processed and I came so close to canceling it and ordering the Panda. But the discount was gone and I just could not bring myself to pay close to $1000 again on a phone. I was tempted because of the bigger battery and the fact I was having to charge my X twice a day. My husband said he did notice my X was having issues with something draining the battery fast despite it supposedly being suspended and not actively running. I forget which app it was.

I think it’s just good it’s going back.

Aneres11 what kind of battery life were you getting on your Pixel 2?

Do you know, the Pixel 2 battery was actually pretty good. I never used it heavily enough to drain it (rarely do with my phones) but I found it to be more than adequate which surprised me given how small the battery seems on the spec sheet.

One thing I’ve been so impressed with throughout 2017 is how good smartphone batteries are becoming. There is still some ways to go, but as technology and operating systems improve, it appears battery life is lasting longer.

I hope you’ll be as pleased as I was with it!

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
My order from the Google Store placed on Saturday still says “Ordered”. No processing, shipped, nothing. Should I be concerned at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.