Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Cannot WAIT to unearth all these comments again come October as y'all are waiting for your Pixel 3 deliveries.

Say what you will, you all know it's going to happen. :D

Maybe, but you have to admit this is probably the most underwhelming incoming Nexus/Pixel device I can remember. I'm hoping Google has some tricks up its sleeve when they reveal it. Wireless changing alone isn't going to cut it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Android 9 Pie is out! go grab it on your Pixel

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/08/06/android-9-0-is-android-pie/

Screen-Shot-2018-08-06-at-9.59.53-AM-980x510.jpg

I know it's juvenile of me but every time I see mention of Android Pie, this immediately pops into my mind....:p

Unknown.jpg

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Maybe, but you have to admit this is probably the most underwhelming incoming Nexus/Pixel device I can remember. I'm hoping Google has some tricks up its sleeve when they reveal it. Wireless changing alone isn't going to cut it.

I'm not denying anything regarding people's disappointments. It is underwhelming. Totally.
But I do think some people are a bit more offended than I am haha.

I guess it's coz I'm not interested in the XL and wasn't before we even knew it was going to have that God awful notch.
As it stands, the regular 3 seems a safer bet minus the gestures, but LeanLauncher sees to that so I know there's an option to keep the P look and feel but without the stupid gestures.

It will be interesting to see the 'reveal' and how they try and sell it.

Reactions: widgeteer

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
The regular 3 looks fine to me, just too small after using bigger phones. I can't see what Google could possibly add to the XL that would make me consider it. The Note 9 and P20 Pro are the only phones I'd be tempted by but neither are much of an upgrade to my 2XL camera which I love.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I have another bone to pick with the "gestures." Is it me or is the fast slider to switch apps feature utterly stupid? The one where you can quickly slide your thumb and flip through open apps.

To engage it, you have to slide right then slide back left, then slide right again to actually scroll through your apps. Right? I'm not using this wrong, am I?

It's so unintuitive. Not to mention it's not very precise either.

Gestures is a joke on Android Pie. It really doesn't feel like this was thought up by the biggest software company.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I have another bone to pick with the "gestures." Is it me or is the fast slider to switch apps feature utterly stupid? The one where you can quickly slide your thumb and flip through open apps.

To engage it, you have to slide right then slide back left, then slide right again to actually scroll through your apps. Right? I'm not using this wrong, am I?

It's so unintuitive. Not to mention it's not very precise either.

Gestures is a joke on Android Pie. It really doesn't feel like this was thought up by the biggest software company.
Gestures feel mostly useless to me on Pie. Honestly, I'd be content with just one gesture of swiping to close an app, but that's not even here.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So my XL 2 has learnt a new trick (still on p beta 1, I'll need to try to update soon) but the wifi icon is starting to cycle from full strength to xLTE and even just the outline of the icon. Even the service icon is starting to act about the same. Just noticed this a couple days ago.

Gee, I've seen this behavior before in my Nexus 6p. Hopefully an update will fix but I'm skeptical

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Bottom line gestures just suck on Android Pie, the three-button software nav Keys have worked very well for Android, just stick to that Google. Or really think this through and come up with a better thought-out gesture-based navigation UI, not this

I'm a big stock Android nerd, but if there's a stable Jailbreak release for iOS 12 and the iPhone XS Plus, I'm getting that phone

Reactions: widgeteer

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
What do people think of the OG Pixel XL as a viable option still?

I have a KEY2 at the moment, but currently selling it as I am just really not enjoying the phone for a number of reasons.

I have zero clue what phone to change to and don't have a whole load of money to throw at it, what with a load of phones coming up in the upcoming months.
Pixel 3, new iPhone etc.

I've just seen that new Pixel XL's can still be bought for £299 from Argos, so am quite tempted to just go for that.
I imagine performance is still good, screen was always impressive, I like the design over the 2 XL - it's just the camera that is a bit of a question mark.
Is it still any good? Or will it show its age now?

Or should I just plump for something a bit better even though I know I likely won't last too long with it with all the new goodness coming soon?
Get something better like an LG V30.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Get something better like an LG V30.

Erm. Thanks.
I went with an OG Pixel and it is fantastic. I had a V30 and didn't like it at all. Camera performance was pretty run of the mill and nothing outstanding, the screen was susceptible to burn in (more than any other AMOLED screen) and I hate LG's skin.
I know it's changeable, but I wanted to try Pie and it runs brilliantly on this so I couldn't be happier.

Cheers though.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I've grown to like the quick swipe up for recent apps. I also seldomly use the quick swipe to switch between two apps ad I find that useful. I actually like that better than how the iPhone does it. Still feels very much half-baked though.

For me recent/frequently used apps is so good that I nowadays rarely use the home screen or app drawer. I love how it recommends sound cloud and Spotify on morning weekdays when I drive off in the car.

Quick swipe between apps initially felt strange but now it's second nature. Google just need to add a swipe action for back and I will be happy.

Reactions: atiffarooq

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
For me recent/frequently used apps is so good that I nowadays rarely use the home screen or app drawer. I love how it recommends sound cloud and Spotify on morning weekdays when I drive off in the car
The one thing I'm not seeing is telling recommended apps thing I've been hearing about. Is that exclusive to Pixel? I'm using Essential phone right now.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
The one thing I'm not seeing is telling recommended apps thing I've been hearing about. Is that exclusive to Pixel? I'm using Essential phone right now.

When you slide up for the multitasking window, I think they are referring to the 5 apps under that. Do you not have that view?

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
This works for me - I've been on the beta and now public release and find that the app I'm looking for is normally in the 5 that are shown. Not sure if it gets better over time but definitely knows what I might be after depending on the time of the day or where I am (other factors may contribute too).
When you slide up for the multitasking window, I think they are referring to the 5 apps under that. Do you not have that view?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I'm only seeing the five apps that are always in my dock.
[doublepost=1534091103][/doublepost]
Kind of unrelated to the Pixels, but where did Grumpymom go? She used to be super active in here but she disappeared.
Was wondering the same thing. I pulled up her profile and it says "Suspended" under her user name??

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Me too, the five apps from my dock. That's useful.

It's clear Google wants you to navigate through the app switcher window. It's kind of like a central hub.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Me too, the five apps from my dock. That's useful.

It's clear Google wants you to navigate through the app switcher window. It's kind of like a central hub.

I think I found the setting. On my pixel, it's in the home settings. (long press the home screen, then click suggestions)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180812-221115.png
    Screenshot_20180812-221115.png
    260.1 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: epicrayban

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I think I found the setting. On my pixel, it's in the home settings. (long press the home screen, then click suggestions)
Yep, must exclusive to Pixel for now then. My home screen settings (on the PH-1) does not show a suggestions setting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180812-224627.png
    Screenshot_20180812-224627.png
    111 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: epicrayban
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.