Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Bottom line gestures just suck on Android Pie, the three-button software nav Keys have worked very well for Android, just stick to that Google. Or really think this through and come up with a better thought-out gesture-based navigation UI, not this

I'm a big stock Android nerd, but if there's a stable Jailbreak release for iOS 12 and the iPhone XS Plus, I'm getting that phone

I completely agree. I would miss Samsung Pay, but based on what I've seen so far, if Apple offers a Buy One Get One on Black Friday, I'll jump ship from Android.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Getting used to the Gestures. It's not perfect and can clearly be improved but the general idea is fine.

Google will hopefully sort it out soon.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Got Android pie updated on my XL 2. Typing in this form box with suggestions still is wonky. Will probably end up rooting although it's getting pointless to do so, ads still get through some cracks here and there.

Today I've noticed by service icon indicator is cycling from grayed out to black outline. Wifi icon not as wonky yet but did watch it do the same a bit ago before the update.

Off to find updated magisk...

Am I done with the pixel line? o_O

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I can't decide whether I should stick with this or go back to the iPhone. Maybe I'll send it in one last time and hope for the best.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I hope the Pixel 2XL wasn't anyone's first high end Android phone. That's sad right there.

Google states there could be three reasons for the slow down. Two are software related. One is hardware. I wonder what the hardware related issue could be. The processor? RAM? Something else...?

And you're right. That is embarrassing for Google and Android if a first-time Android user experienced this. The Pixel line is supposedly the cream of the crop of Android software experience. Cue eye roll.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
So I threw my SIM back in the iPhone 8 while I wait for the replacement. I had forgotten how good BT can be when it works.
Did you receive the replacement yet? Of all the issues I've had with prior defective Pixel 2 XLs, BT was never among them. Google is still sending out (new) phones built in late 2017. Still riddled with screen and battery issues in my experience. I just returned one a few weeks ago and bought from Best Buy instead, which has a 6/21/18 build date and flawless in every way. Go figure.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Did you receive the replacement yet? Of all the issues I've had with prior defective Pixel 2 XLs, BT was never among them. Google is still sending out (new) phones built in late 2017. Still riddled with screen and battery issues in my experience. I just returned one a few weeks ago and bought from Best Buy instead, which has a 6/21/18 build date and flawless in every way. Go figure.

Nope. Ordered, not yet shipped.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It came in and I'm having trouble getting it to activate on Sprint. Last Pixel I'm ever going to buy.

That sucks. Sorry, mate. It just ain't meant to be. And can't blame ya for your last comment.

Google's hardware -- from design decisions to quality control -- is a deterrent. That's how weak their hardware game is.

A premium smartphone should offer quality experiences in both software and hardware. Hardware matters when it's good. Hardware matters when it's bad. Hardware matters, period.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That sucks. Sorry, mate. It just ain't meant to be. And can't blame ya for your last comment.

Google's hardware -- from design decisions to quality control -- is a deterrent. That's how weak their hardware game is.

A premium smartphone should offer quality experiences in both software and hardware. Hardware matters when it's good. Hardware matters when it's bad. Hardware matters, period.

I’m getting a warranty replacement on my warranty replacement.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
And you're right. That is embarrassing for Google and Android if a first-time Android user experienced this. The Pixel line is supposedly the cream of the crop of Android software experience. Cue eye roll.
When you "create" a product just as a trojan horse for your other business model (ads), you won't push your best effort on it since it's not making you money directly. It has been shown again and again how Google actually couldn't care less and just let the OEMs do their thing (Nexus 6P built quality for example).
So far, it seems only HTC is the one that did a good job. Huawei couldn't make the cut (Nexus 6P). LG is on and off.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
When you "create" a product just as a trojan horse for your other business model (ads), you won't push your best effort on it since it's not making you money directly. It has been shown again and again how Google actually couldn't care less and just let the OEMs do their thing (Nexus 6P built quality for example).
So far, it seems only HTC is the one that did a good job. Huawei couldn't make the cut (Nexus 6P). LG is on and off.
I think they are actually trying to create an ecosystem of devices. The nexus devices were cheaper and nite midrange/budget.

The pixel devices have been better built and google are pricing them at the high end.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I think they are actually trying to create an ecosystem of devices. The nexus devices were cheaper and nite midrange/budget.

The pixel devices have been better built and google are pricing them at the high end.

Wow, the Nexus devices must really have been crap if the Pixel 2XL is an improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.