Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I don't think they look chunkier at all to me. I will go back to the VZW store and do a side by side with my 8 plus and the XL2. I think the side bezels are bigger on the iphone. Even in the picture you posted the side bezels look bigger on the iphone.

Pixel xl2 Definitely looks chunkier to me.

8ff6afac54ec72a49bf43085ce19321b.jpg

a8a0e85013bacefa6ec08737bb37be24.jpg

At least your not claiming the pixel xl 2s bezels are nearly identical to the iPhone x.
Mind taking a side by side with the iPhone 8 plus.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Phone isn’t out yet it.

You think they look “almost the same from the front” Clearly can’t admit when your wrong.

Ps the picture you posted: the pixel xl clearly looks slimmer in profile than the iPhone x. That’s clearly not the case.

7.7 mm for the iPhone x vs 7.9mm for the pixel xl 2.
Press renders aren’t to scale.
Thats because I am not wrong. Any difference in the side bezels seems mimimal

hands-on-with-the-new-999-apple-iphone-x.jpg

nKd4SJ3u.jpg

Still dont see much difference

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
It’s clear as day.

You are just posting pics from different angles and posting zoomed in views. When looked at from the front from a normal viewing distance which is what do when we use our phones, its the same

5cBIqfW.jpg

pixel-2-xl-tour-5.jpg

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
You are just posting pics from different angles and posting zoomed in views. When looked at from the front from a normal viewing distance which is what do when we use our phones, its the same

5cBIqfW.jpg

pixel-2-xl-tour-5.jpg

No.
The pictures I provided were iPhone x devices caught in the wild.
Here are a couple more:
6e2bbc53db40f83056b2b09319721fa6.jpg
c922b02324e4f7129c8ec04fbffab712.jpg
ecf2a2546397aae6f3f2de1370b9093d.jpg

Again the phone isn’t released yet. And once more looks much slimmer than the nexus xl2.
1a24e1b2c4d314aaeb9f551c89d766e2.jpg

Your beating a dead horse.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Both phones look gorgeous, but the Pixel 2 XL wins it for me when the notch on X is visible.
My eyes can't stop being drawn to it [notch], I'm certain I'd never be able to get used the lack of symmetry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsepz

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
No.
The pictures I provided were iPhone x devices caught in the wild.
Are you suggesting the iPhone X in the wild were different units from the ones which the reviewers got hands on with? Why resort to these blurry pictures when we have high resolution ones available with full front view up close. Some of the pics you provided are also taken from quite a distance to do any proper assessment of the size bezels. I am looking at expansive pics of both from the front on a 24inch desktop monitor and they look almost the same. We will let the members in this thread be the judge of the above pics

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Are you suggesting the iPhone X in the wild were different units from the ones which the reviewers got hands on with? Why resort to these blurry pictures when we have high resolution ones available with full front view up close. Some of the pics you provided are also taken from quite a distance to do any proper assessment of the size bezels. I am looking at expansive pics of both from the front on a 24inch desktop monitor and they look almost the same. We will let the members in this thread be the judge of the above pics

Yeah but all the pictures of the pixel xl 2 are super weird as well. The picture you posted of the iPhone x is up close but the xl 2 is at arms length.
I’m sure your 24 inch monitor automatically adjusts everything to scale.

Why don’t you get both in your hands and then decide.

Weren’t you the poster that went bonkers because you believed the pixel xl2 display wasn’t laminated, just to be proven wrong a couple of pages later.

You seem prone to jumping to false conclusion and then proceed to spaz about it endlessly.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Yeah but all the pictures of the pixel xl 2 are super weird as well. The picture you posted of the iPhone x is up close but the xl 2 is at arms length.
Then here you go.

Google-Pixel-2-XL_fonearena-07.jpg

DJi-mNmVwAANCMH.jpg:large

hy don’t you get both in your hands and then decide.
Then wait for the X to release as well before saying the X has smaller side bezels than the 2 XL. These are all opinions being stated based on the pictures.

Weren’t you the poster that went bonkers because you believed the pixel xl2 display wasn’t laminated, just to be proven wrong a couple of pages later.

Follow the thread properly. It was said by MKBHD and some other reddit posters. I took it at face value. I havent seen the phone

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Both phones look gorgeous, but the Pixel 2 XL wins it for me when the notch is visible.
My eyes can't stop being drawn to it [notch], I'm certain I'd never be able to get used the lack of symmetry.

Same here. Every time I see it, the 1st thought is there are dead pixels on the top of that display.

These "in the wild pictures" make the notch look even worse
357f50f2f1cb2dae972b8c557ef47466.jpg

eebe8b85d27f39ea9458fe0f0373be88.jpg

In this particular image the display does not even look bezeless, the notch is really bringing the bezel out.
039c87087ceddb2c2f4ecc941df1a110.jpg

- Look at the Operator logo and Battery and Signal Indicators, what's with the space above them???
Oh my word, this is horrendous. There's something just not right about it all, it's like they shoehorned everything in there oh dear Apple.

I hope we do not see an iPad with that rubbish, I am a happy iPad user and upgrade them every 2years, so later next year I may be looking to get a new 1, if that notch makes an appearance I may just have to give up the iPad, uggh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Both phones look gorgeous, but the Pixel 2 XL wins it for me when the notch is visible.
I can’t help but think back to my earliest memories of the first US President I can remember: Richard Nixon

12133B10-A12B-4DF0-8102-B9C7BAE73D44.jpeg

And I agree, both phones look gorgeous and I can’t believe we are arguing about a possible millimeter or so of difference between their side bezels. If there’s a difference, it’s negligible.

The X looks like it has slightly slimmer side bezels but that is negated by the thick band that surrounds the phone. Personally, I am grateful for the side bezels because it will cut down on how fussy the phone will be to handle.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I can’t help but think back to my earliest memories of the first US President I can remember: Richard Nixon

View attachment 725484

And I agree, both phones look gorgeous and I can’t believe we are arguing about a possible millimeter or so of difference between their side bezels. If there’s a difference, it’s negligible.

The X looks like it has slightly slimmer side bezels but that is negated by the thick band that surrounds the phone. Personally, I am grateful for the side bezels because it will cut down on how fussy the phone will be to handle.
LOL brilliant! The iPhone niXon
ba4aa39c91d71e8974ded87b6161266b.jpg

Reactions: 5105973 and deany

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Then here you go.

Google-Pixel-2-XL_fonearena-07.jpg

DJi-mNmVwAANCMH.jpg:large

Then wait for the X to release as well before saying the X has smaller side bezels than the 2 XL. These are all opinions being stated based on the pictures.

Follow the thread properly. It was said by MKBHD and some other reddit posters. I took it at face value. I havent seen the phone

Seriously dead horse. Your going to look foolish again when the iPhone X is released.
But but it was posted on reddit.
Sure it was.

286c879b8f5827e4d9b361eaaef1a8c8.jpg

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Pixel xl2 Definitely looks chunkier to me.

8ff6afac54ec72a49bf43085ce19321b.jpg

a8a0e85013bacefa6ec08737bb37be24.jpg

At least your not claiming the pixel xl 2s bezels are nearly identical to the iPhone x.
Mind taking a side by side with the iPhone 8 plus.

Let me ask you this question. Have you seen both phones in person? Have you held both phones in person? I have.... the bezels on my iPhone 8 Plus are larger than on the Pixel 2 XL. The top and bottom bezels are larger. The side bezels are larger on my iPhone 8 Plus than on the Pixel 2 XL. Not by much mind you.....

But what in the heck does it matter?????

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Let me ask you this question. Have you seen both phones in person? Have you held both phones in person? I have.... the bezels on my iPhone 8 Plus are larger than on the Pixel 2 XL. The top and bottom bezels are larger. The side bezels are larger on my iPhone 8 Plus than on the Pixel 2 XL. Not by much mind you.....

But what in the heck does it matter?????

Yes i have. Didn’t like the coating on top of the aluminum.
To me the iPhone 8 plus looks to have slimmer side bezels vs the pixel xl 2 again not by much.

Top and bottom iPhone 8+ bezels are larger.

Existentially, why does anything matter?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes i have. Didn’t like the coating on top of the aluminum.
To me the iPhone 8 plus looks to have slimmer side bezels vs the pixel xl 2 again not by much.

Top and bottom iPhone 8+ bezels are larger.

Existentially, why does anything matter?

Exactly so why are you here arguing bezels then???? You said it doesn’t matter???

Then later today I will post side by side pictures of my iPhone 8 Plus next to a Pixel 2 XL.
Will you do the same?

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Existentially speaking.

Are the pixel bezels off limits?

No one said they were off limits.
Why do they matter to you so much?

Are you buying the Pixel 2 XL? Do you have it pre ordered?

Are you just looking to say something negative about a phone you have no interest at in ever buying???

Will that make you enjoy your iPhone more?

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
No one said they were off limits.
Why do they matter to you so much?

Are you buying the Pixel 2 XL? Do you have it pre ordered?

Are you just looking to say something negative about a phone you have no interest at in ever buying???

Will that make you enjoy your iPhone more?

I do have Pixelxl 2 black on preorder.
I will compare it to my iPhone 8 plus. That shouldn’t bother you.

I’m not the one claiming the pixel Xl2 to have minimal bezels and comparing it to the iPhone x. That’s simply not true.

The pixel xl 2 has chunky bezels. Whether that’s a negative or a positive, that’s up to each individual end user.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The pixel xl 2 has chunky bezels. Whether that’s a negative or a positive, that’s up to each individual end user.

Chunky bezels compared to what? Certainly not the iPhone 8 Plus as you have described.

I will post side by side later today and ask that you do the same to illustrate our points of views.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Went into a local phone shop today for a look at the new Pixels. Didn't spend too much time in there but walked away glad I pre ordered one (Xl2).

It does look a little odd the way the actual display is rounded but no so much it would bother me. It was was on full brightness and looked good to me, no banding or things that looked off. Not sure how good it would be in bright sun outside.

I don't have a problem with the size of the side bezels and given it has 2 front firing speakers, the top and bottom ones are fine with me. I didn't test out the speakers.

It seemed quick to navigate and open/close apps. So no problem there.

I don't know how much it weighs but it felt quite light. Hard to tell how light because if the security device attached to the back.

It's the camera why I'm mainly interested in one. Took a quick selfie and pic of the shop and it does look very good. Looks like it'll be great in low light. My main gripe with the Note 8 (and Samsungs in general) front camera is the fakeness where it blurs out details. The Note 8 seems much better than previous models but still a little lacking on the front in low light. And in my personal opinion, not as good as the iPhone 7+ in some low light conditions indoors on the main (but that might be my preference). So I'm pretty sure this will have the best smartphone camera around.

I can't wait to really get it out for a week or so before deciding whether to return it or sell my Note. I think overall, the Note will be better. More storage, s pen, bigger and better screen. But the one area the Pixel will be better is the camera, in particular the front camera. It'll cost me around £285 to trade phones which is quite a bit when it's one feature in particular that will favour it. But despite taking my dslr on holiday, I still take around 3k pics on a smartphone over 2 weeks, so it's important to me. Especially the front camera in front of landmarks etc.

Definitely looking forward to trying one out properly when mine arrives in mid November. It's between this and the Note 8, can't justify the iPhone X cost anymore.

Not sure if this has been any help or not but there's my initial thoughts on my brief time with the XL2!

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Chunky bezels compared to what? Certainly not the iPhone 8 Plus as you have described.

I will post side by side later today and ask that you do the same to illustrate our points of views.

Actually the pixel xl2 was being compared to the iPhone x. Chunky compared to most 2017 android phones; galaxy s/note 8, lg v30, lg g6, essential, honor 9, not to mention the upcoming sont and Huawei flagships.

Hell it’s even chunkier than the original xl

54978c9211c0aba8d99d31f97e0d1fcc.jpg

3ad7d6ba59d1ecf3fa684920ef229f78.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.