Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Actually the pixel xl2 was being compared to the iPhone x. Chunky compared to most 2017 android phones; galaxy s/note 8, lg v30, lg g6, essential, honor 9, not to mention the upcoming sont and Huawei flagships.

Hell it’s even chunkier than the original xl

54978c9211c0aba8d99d31f97e0d1fcc.jpg

3ad7d6ba59d1ecf3fa684920ef229f78.jpg

I haven’t seen the iPhone X in the stores yet have you? I Haven’t been able to do a side side because if that.

I have my own side side with the original pixel XL and the Pixel 2 XL

cb63429546bc67c33f6e9879d3aa62ec.heic

c11d6356afece23f9b9be023ab6279db.heic

woozor1

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2015
Uk
Went into a local phone shop today for a look at the new Pixels. Didn't spend too much time in there but walked away glad I pre ordered one (Xl2).

It does look a little odd the way the actual display is rounded but no so much it would bother me. It was was on full brightness and looked good to me, no banding or things that looked off. Not sure how good it would be in bright sun outside.

I don't have a problem with the size of the side bezels and given it has 2 front firing speakers, the top and bottom ones are fine with me. I didn't test out the speakers.

It seemed quick to navigate and open/close apps. So no problem there.

I don't know how much it weighs but it felt quite light. Hard to tell how light because if the security device attached to the back.

It's the camera why I'm mainly interested in one. Took a quick selfie and pic of the shop and it does look very good. Looks like it'll be great in low light. My main gripe with the Note 8 (and Samsungs in general) front camera is the fakeness where it blurs out details. The Note 8 seems much better than previous models but still a little lacking on the front in low light. And in my personal opinion, not as good as the iPhone 7+ in some low light conditions indoors on the main (but that might be my preference). So I'm pretty sure this will have the best smartphone camera around.

I can't wait to really get it out for a week or so before deciding whether to return it or sell my Note. I think overall, the Note will be better. More storage, s pen, bigger and better screen. But the one area the Pixel will be better is the camera, in particular the front camera. It'll cost me around £285 to trade phones which is quite a bit when it's one feature in particular that will favour it. But despite taking my dslr on holiday, I still take around 3k pics on a smartphone over 2 weeks, so it's important to me. Especially the front camera in front of landmarks etc.

Definitely looking forward to trying one out properly when mine arrives in mid November. It's between this and the Note 8, can't justify the iPhone X cost anymore.

Not sure if this has been any help or not but there's my initial thoughts on my brief time with the XL2!

I dont think its worth £285 extra. Personally im moving from a 7 plus and was planning on going for the pixel xl2 but i dunno it just seemed boring to me. Specs design the screen was meh not good not bad just decent. The screen looked worse than my 7 plus but each to there own. Maybe i was expecting more from a amoled display. When you look at a note 8 display that just is amazing. Thats not a reaction i get from a pixel.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I haven’t seen the iPhone X in the stores yet have you? I Haven’t been able to do a side side because if that.

Neither have I, but the schematics have leaked.
The iPhones X has 2.5mm bezels between the display and the frame. The frame I believe adds another 1.3 mm.

30903533ccf290b16bc8ccc9e842ea9b.jpg

I have my own side side with the original pixel XL and the Pixel 2 XL

cb63429546bc67c33f6e9879d3aa62ec.heic

c11d6356afece23f9b9be023ab6279db.heic

The side bezels on the pixel xl are between 3.5
And 5 mm. The frame looks to add another 1.8 -2.2mm.
It’s not even close.

Don’t know what google was thinking compared to the original pixel xl.

Edit:
The top bezel of the pixel xl 2 seems to be bigger than the bottom.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I dont think its worth £285 extra. Personally im moving from a 7 plus and was planning on going for the pixel xl2 but i dunno it just seemed boring to me. Specs design the screen was meh not good not bad just decent. The screen looked worse than my 7 plus but each to there own. Maybe i was expecting more from a amoled display. When you look at a note 8 display that just is amazing. Thats not a reaction i get from a pixel.

No, probably not worth the extra. Especially when I was really pleased at loving the Note as much as I am, saving £360 on not getting the X. But I need to take both of them out and fully test the cameras out. I'll be going abroad 3 times in the next 12 months, so want to be sure I have the best device for my needs.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am hoping Google ships early. If memory serves me right they shipped a week early last year?
My ship date is 10/23...hoping they start printing shipping labels soon.

Reactions: deany and 5105973

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I am hoping Google ships early. If memory serves me right they shipped a week early last year?
My ship date is 10/23...hoping they start printing shipping labels soon.
Google Store usually underpromises and overdelivers. I'm not saying I'm sure your ship date will move up, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Reactions: deany and jamezr

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Google Store usually underpromises and overdelivers. I'm not saying I'm sure your ship date will move up, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

I hope so. Im scheduled for ship on 18th, deliver on 19-20. Hoping for the 19th since Im going out of town and would like to use the camera at the parade this weekend. Perfect time to test out the Pixel in bright desert sun light.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I hope so. Im scheduled for ship on 18th, deliver on 19-20. Hoping for the 19th since Im going out of town and would like to use the camera at the parade this weekend. Perfect time to test out the Pixel in bright desert sun light.
Now that I'm not sure about. The 19-20 thing must depend on the courier if the phone is to ship on the 17th

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Can't wait for the price to drop on the XL 2.... Once it hits around £500 (and assuming there are no major problems) I'll probably be buying one :D

Reactions: v0lume4

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Anything north of 300 nits is usually sufficient but the S8+ can hit 1,000 and the note 8 can hit 1,200! Last years pixels are also 400.

iPhone X maxes at 625 from what initial reports say.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So far everything I’m seeing and reading about the Pixels, especially the 2XL that I have on order, is making me very happy!

The display isn’t as saturated as a Samsung display but I noticed it shows more shades or hues or whatever the proper term is. It seems good at picking out all the colors that are really there. The Samsung will saturate to the point you might lose some subtle differences in shades or intensities of any given color. Not that that’s a bad thing. Nor does it mean the Samsung display can’t be put to a more accurate setting. My point is that the Pixel is not sub par for my wants and needs. So I’m happy. I understand if some folks aren’t happy. We all like different things about our phones.

I was out with my Samsung S8+ today taking pictures of birds and wishing I had a Note with a zoom instead. Lol. So I think I probably will miss having a zoom lens on the Panda. And if they offer one next year I might upgrade for it, if I like Pixels enough at all. But I’m willing to do without the zoom for now. I’ve got other things I’m prioritizing and I’m pretty excited about the front facing stereo speakers. They don’t have to be louder or even better than the stereo on my iPhone. They just need to exist. I tend to block my bottom firing speaker a lot when I’m watching stuff on my iPhone. I’m looking forward to having things arranged a little bit differently.

I did like the feel and lightness of the Pixel 2XL. That lightness was a nice surprise.

I’m not too concerned if it looks and feels “premium” at this point. I’m more concerned that it functions like a premium device. And anyway I think the Panda looks really different in a good way. I like it.

Reactions: jamezr

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
No one has been able to duplicate the results of tester that found it to hit 1k.

Sorry but the Note 8 got to 1070 nits in this clip here. That's proof enough that it has the chance to go to 1200 nits based on certain conditions. Remember samsung has max brightness based on surroundings and overall battery percentages. So it differs based on certain conditions.

[doublepost=1508119910][/doublepost]
So far everything I’m seeing and reading about the Pixels, especially the 2XL that I have on order, is making me very happy!

The display isn’t as saturated as a Samsung display but I noticed it shows more shades or hues or whatever the proper term is. It seems good at picking out all the colors that are really there. The Samsung will saturate to the point you might lose some subtle differences in shades or intensities of any given color. Not that that’s a bad thing. Nor does it mean the Samsung display can’t be put to a more accurate setting. My point is that the Pixel is not sub par for my wants and needs. So I’m happy. I understand if some folks aren’t happy. We all like different things about our phones.

I was out with my Samsung S8+ today taking pictures of birds and wishing I had a Note with a zoom instead. Lol. So I think I probably will miss having a zoom lens on the Panda. And if they offer one next year I might upgrade for it, if I like Pixels enough at all. But I’m willing to do without the zoom for now. I’ve got other things I’m prioritizing and I’m pretty excited about the front facing stereo speakers. They don’t have to be louder or even better than the stereo on my iPhone. They just need to exist. I tend to block my bottom firing speaker a lot when I’m watching stuff on my iPhone. I’m looking forward to having things arranged a little bit differently.

I did like the feel and lightness of the Pixel 2XL. That lightness was a nice surprise.

I’m not too concerned if it looks and feels “premium” at this point. I’m more concerned that it functions like a premium device. And anyway I think the Panda looks really different in a good way. I like it.

Samsung has various display modes. You can have the most accurate srgb in basic or photo mode. You can have a warmer or cooler display as well since its perfectly customizeable. That's the joy of having a S8 or Note 8. Also their displays are rated some of the most accurate in the business. The Pixel 2 XL is limited to a bluish tint and 400 nits of brightness which is a joke.

Last edited:

nutriousmitten

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2017
For the size comparison folks...IPhone X will be very very close to the Essential, 0.08 inches taller, 0.01 inches narrower and less then 0.01 inches in thickness.

Reactions: JaySoul

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
FYI I read from a person on reddit that had a hands on and they mentioned there was an option called "vivid colors" for the display which was off on the demo models. I think it was vivid colors the person said...Could be a different phrase. He did say it didn't change the colors much but it did make the screen slightly more saturated.

Last edited:
Reactions: v0lume4 and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sorry but the Note 8 got to 1070 nits in this clip here. That's proof enough that it has the chance to go to 1200 nits based on certain conditions. Remember samsung has max brightness based on surroundings and overall battery percentages. So it differs based on certain conditions.

[doublepost=1508119910][/doublepost]

Samsung has various display modes. You can have the most accurate srgb in basic or photo mode. You can have a warmer or cooler display as well since its perfectly customizeable. That's the joy of having a S8 or Note 8. Also their displays are rated some of the most accurate in the business. The Pixel 2 XL is limited to a bluish tint and 400 nits of brightness which is a joke.
Unfortunately I wouldn’t know.:( I am stuck using the Adapative display mode, because it’s the only one in which I can use the software update that allows me to get rid of the pink stain of my display.

I’m one of the unlucky ones who got one of the blotchy pink stain afflicted displays. Without the “fix” applied, if I try to use my display in any other mode, it looks like I drooled jelly donut filling all over my display. mmm...donuts... I hate it when I try to read through that nasty pink haze. Fortunately, Adaptive mode looks good. It’s a bit too saturated for my tastes, but it works.

The Pixel 2XL display looked fine to me.

Reactions: deany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.